pixeltracker

CAROUSEL (2018) Previews- Page 2

CAROUSEL (2018) Previews

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/26/18 at 1:25pm

StylishCynic said: "QueenAlice said: "That’s essentially what happened in the genius RNT production 20 years ago. This production has big shoes to fill. I look forward to seeing."

This prologue is on YouTube, and it is OUTSTANDING. The carousel moves me to tears when it starts turning along with the grand score.
"

Here it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUVqEwsXnZ0

I agree that this revival taking place almost 25 years after that historic production from Nicholas Hytner is probably going to be a tough act to follow. It should be interesting to hear what fans of the last revival think of this new production.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#26CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/26/18 at 1:41pm

I wasn't a fan of the last production. Lovely staging, lousy singing from everyone, but Audra. It'll be nice to hear such beautiful voices sing this score again on Broadway.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#27CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 5:09pm

Got a ticket this afternoon for tomorrow night! I’m very excited. I’ve never seen it live, but it’s one of the first cast recordings I remember listening to when I was little. The “Carousel Waltz” is maybe my favorite piece of orchestral music ever. And, good lord, this CAST. Vocal, acting, and dancing powerhouses. Looking forward to it.

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#28CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 6:45pm

Any word of rush or lottery??

Jeffrey Karasarides
#29CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 7:39pm

DELETE POST

Updated On: 2/27/18 at 07:39 PM

GeorgeandDot
#30CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:05pm

^It's a good thing you're not the casting director.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#31CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:08pm

yikes

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#32CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:09pm

Jeffrey, an entirely new production begins tomorrow night and you're already dream-casting everybody's replacements? 

orlikethecolorpurple
#33CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:09pm

Would not have a ticket if ^ that ^ was the cast. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#34CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:11pm

Sorry, I'm just giving some last minute thoughts before previews begin. Carousel is one of my all-time favorite musicals, so I'll be happy if this production succeeds all around.

GeorgeandDot
#35CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 9:19pm

Is there an invited dress tonight? If yes, anyone here there?

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#36CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 9:27pm

Jeffery really has some vendetta against the production. First the director and now the cast. We have 24 hours. Let’s just wait.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#37CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 10:32pm

It took me five tries, but I finally got Alexa to pull up the Carousel Waltz from the OBC. The Carousel Waltz that I grew up loving from a very early age was crammed into four vinyl minutes.

Assuming that they were playing the full seven minute version on stage, I wonder how hard it was for Rodgers to cut that masterpiece almost in half for the recording?

The section bookended by the tuba was the primary excision. The first few times I heard the full waltz, that part sounded very odd to my ear and didn’t seem to belong.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#38CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 10:58pm

I've seen a few student productions, but I'm really looking forward to a proper production and can't wait to go tomorrow night! It really is fun to have absolutely no idea what this production will look like and to just be guessing in my head of what it could be.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#39CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 11:12pm

"Carousel Waltz" is an absolutely perfect piece of music.  I loved it as a little boy, and I love it as an elderly gentleman.

Updated On: 2/27/18 at 11:12 PM

broadwayboy223
#40CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 11:39pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "While we will find out tomorrow how this cast will turn out, I'm not sure if any of the performers seem right for their roles no matter how talented they are (with a possible exception for Renee Fleming).

I thought Jessie Mueller was perfection as Carrie Pipperidge in the New York Philharmonic's production from 2013, but I'm not sure if she seems right for Julie Jordan. Joshua Henry on paper seems like an ideal Billy Bigelow, but I'm not sure if his voice seems right for it. And Lindsay Mendez isn't necessarily the first person I would think of for Carrie.

My ideal cast forCarouselwould be...
Tony Yazbeck as Billy Bigelow
Sierra Boggess as Julie Jordan
Kara Lindsay as Carrie Pipperidge

Though from a commercial standpoint, Josh Groban or Jake Gyllenhaal would be much more exciting choices for Billy.

Again, I'm not discounting the performers who were cast at all. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but we shall see tomorrow.
"

I like Tony Yazbeck, but in no way shape or form is he a Billy.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#41CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 11:43pm

LesWickedly said: "Jeffery really has some vendetta against the production. First the director and now the cast. We have 24 hours. Let’s just wait."

I have no vendetta at all! I'm just more skeptical. But the good news is that it should be over soon one way or another.

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#42CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 12:13am

Anyone attempting to RUSH tomorrow?  I know no official policy has been announced curious if they will be offering anything. 

ameleigh
#43CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 6:01am

Yes. I’m in line now.

10086sunset
#44CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 6:40am

ameleigh said: "Yes. I’m in line now. "

Hows the crowd?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#45CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 8:33am

Why would you line up at 6 AM when they haven’t even announced if they are doing rush?

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

broadwaysfguy
#46CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 8:46am

im in favor of all revivals of classic musicals like Carousel and My Fair Lady.  ive got my tix to both shows and very grateful for this rare opportunity to have two of the best musicals ever back on broadway. 

as to comparing to a past production or fond memory? 

I prefer to go into each production of a revival with fresh eyes and complete openness curiosity and excitement to what the performers directors and other team members have put together...

I also EXPECT to be entertained and enjoy myself.

Im not a professional critic, so why focus on whats wrong vs all the things I notice that are right?

I believe that a lot of folks on this board (many whom I really do respect) may be self sabotaging their theatre going experiences with unrealistic expectations and a less than optimal mindset.

Anyones memory of a production 20 years ago is so idealized in the conscious mind and also linked to other life experiences from that period that to have accurate recall to make a valid comparison isnt really possible according to most psychiatrists and neuroscientists that are memory experts.

go and have a great time and enjoy the gifts of rodgers and hammerstein!

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#47CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:02am

ameleigh said: "Yes. I’m in line now."

Thank you for going and keeping us informed.  I know I would appreciate any information on how your experience was this morning and if you had luck getting tickets.  

Jeffrey Karasarides
#48CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:29am

broadwaysfguy said: "I'm in favor of all revivals of classic musicals like Carousel and My Fair Lady. I've got my tix to both shows and very grateful for this rare opportunity to have two of the best musicals ever back on broadway."

What's interesting is that Carousel and My Fair Lady were both last revived on Broadway in the same season (1993-94). Also during that year, there was a big budget stage adaptation of a Disney animated blockbuster, a one-act musical adaptation of a foreign film, and the original productions of Angels in America.

And now, history seems to be repeating itself.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#49CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:37am

broadwaysfguy said: "I believe that a lot of folks on this board (many whom I really do respect) may be self sabotagingtheir theatre going experiences with unrealistic expectations and a less than optimal mindset
"

But you would be wrong.  Overwhelmingly, the people on this board will be swayed by what they see, not what they assume.  They admit when they're preconceived thoughts have been wrong.   When one is already familiar with a piece -- particularly one they love -- it's impossible to totally separate themselves from it.  It's a part of who they are.

My favorite example of this (which I know I use often -- probably as often as this accusation is made) is when Corbin Bleu was named as the new Usnavi for In the Heights.  Many people thought he would be terrible.  But you know what?  Most went to see for themselves and discovered he was pretty wonderful and were not concerned about stating such. This happens all the time here...if people were SURE they were going to hate something: they usually don't bother buying tickets.  Except for After Eight.  He relishes in it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos