pixeltracker

Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!

Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#1Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 7:45pm

It will be 19 years ago tomorrow that I saw the glorious, original production at the Beaumont, and experienced Broadway heaven.
It - in my humble opinion - deserves a 2nd chance on B'way.
But, the casting... and the director...
Well, any ideas as to the above?
Daniel Radcliffe as Leo?
He'd certainly sell tickets...

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#2Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 7:48pm

I agree, but Jeremy Jordan was divine in the recent concert. I'd love to see him in a fullscale revival.  I'd love to see Annaleigh Ashford as Lucille.

Updated On: 2/25/18 at 07:48 PM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#3Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 7:54pm

Brandon Uranowitz.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#4Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 7:56pm

Not to rain on your Parade, but where would this be done? It failed to find a significant audience as a non-profit production 19 years ago. Do you expect LCT to revive its own show? I do not think anyone could raise the money to do this, even with DR, even assuming he would want to do it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#5Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 7:57pm

I love this show and this score. Carolee Carmello was divine and should have won the Tony that year.

However, fear that even with a star attached, this is a show that will always struggle to find commercial success. It’s just far too dark.

broadwayboy223
#6Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 8:00pm

Carmen Cusack HAS to play Lucille at some point.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#7Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 8:01pm

The score is incredible (and I'd love to see Brandon Uranowitz as Leo) but I can't see this working commercially. Maybe CSC could mount it.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#8Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 8:11pm

I'd love to see a revival with Daniel Radcliffe as Leo.  If Jeremy Jordan were to be anywhere near this, it should only be as the reporter, Britt Craig.  That role would fit his pop twangy WHAYL vocal styling the best.  For Lucille, I think Donna Vivino would be stellar.  I do hope someone takes another chance on this show because I think it has potential to be an important classic if it could be high-profile enough to get the attention it deserves. 

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#9Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 9:08pm

^Jordan did the recent concert and recieved raves. He's a bit hit and miss for me, but I thought he was truly incredible in this role, and I entered the theatre thinking he would be totally miscast.

Radcliffe couldn't sing the score and I'm not interested in seeing him struggle through the score.

lucillefrank Profile Photo
lucillefrank
#10Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 9:54pm

With Carmen Cusack and Jake Gyllenhaal, thank you very much.

i've got 99 problems and a revival of parade would solve like 94 of them

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#11Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 10:13pm

lucillefrank said: "With Carmen Cusack and Jake Gyllenhaal, thank you very much."

I came in to second the earlier Carmen Cusack suggestion, but this casting would be absolutely perfect. I'd love to hear their voices together!

Graymerchant
#12Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 10:23pm

I want a John Doyle directed Parade. All for CSC mounting it. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#13Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 12:08am

Graymerchant said: "I want a John Doyle directed Parade. All for CSC mounting it."

Okay I love Doyle but I want to see someone like Rachel Chavkin take this on. A chamber-musical immersive take of Parade would be thrilling and a theatrical event (probably not at call commercially viable since I strongly doubt families would go near it - but small kids shouldn't go to this anyway). In today's political climate, some minor rewriting can do wonders for this show. And while I love Cusack + Gyllenhaal pairing, I would love to see Benanti + Gyllenhaal do this instead. Agree with above that Carolee should have won that Tony. I have only seen bootlegs but she breaks my heart.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#14Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 2:19am

I just want this to be an oscar nominated movie.

And then once people see the movie and they realize it's brilliant and beautiful even though the premise is incredibly bleak, then mount a revival.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#15Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 6:30am

Valentina3 said: "Graymerchant said: "I want a John Doyle directed Parade. All for CSC mounting it."

Okay I love Doyle but I want to see someone like Rachel Chavkin take this on. A chamber-musical immersive take of Parade would be thrilling and a theatrical event (probably not at call commercially viable since I strongly doubt families would go near it - but small kids shouldn't go to this anyway). In today's political climate, some minor rewriting can do wonders for this show. And while I love Cusack + Gyllenhaal pairing, I would love to see Benanti + Gyllenhaal do this instead. Agree with above that Carolee should have won that Tony. I have only seen bootlegs but she breaks my heart.
"

I thought Benanti, who is normally fantastic onstage, was not a great Lucille opposite Jeremy Jordan’s sublime Leo in the MCP concert a few years ago. However, JRB seems to want sopranos as Lucille now, so she’s probably more in line with who would be cast in a Parade revival now  

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#17Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 8:48am

At least I’m consistent in my opinion. And I didn’t expect everyone ELSE to go back through my posts here to find my comments on Benanti’s performance as Lucille.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#18Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 8:56am

Sorry, I meant the OP started the same thread less than two years ago. Edited for clarity.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#19Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 9:19am

That must've been a different markypoo.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#20Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 9:27am

markypoos are Legion!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#21Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 10:41am

God I hope so.
It would be my dream to see this and ragtime revived at the exact same time.... imagine that two show day.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#22Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 11:12am

Interestingly enough, Matthew Broderick was mentioned early on as a possible Leo Frank; back in the day when he was also being considered for the title role in the '98 revival of YAGMCB.
To me, if you study the poster design for Parade, the depiction of Leo tends to resemble Matthew more than Brent Carver.
Is it a stretch to say that the former could still play the role?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#23Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 11:54am

markypoo said: "Interestingly enough, Matthew Broderick was mentioned early on as a possible Leo Frank; back in the day when he was also being considered for the title role in the '98 revival of YAGMCB.
To me, if you study the poster design for Parade, the depiction of Leo tends to resemble Matthew more than Brent Carver.
"

Matthew Broderick is far too old now, and could no way do this role justice.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#24Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 1:41pm

markypoo said: "Interestingly enough, Matthew Broderick was mentioned early on as a possible Leo Frank; back in the day when he was also being considered for the title role in the '98 revival of YAGMCB.
"

Considering he has slept walked through all of his performances the last ten years or more, I would say no.

Even at his best, he neither had the voice or the acting ability to do this role justice.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#25Time for a 1st class revival of... PARADE!
Posted: 2/26/18 at 2:47pm

I really don’t care who’s playing Leo as long as Betsy Wolfe is Lucille.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement