pixeltracker

Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland

Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#1Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 2:44pm

I’m totally here for this.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Duncan-Sheik-and-Sara-Bareilles-Are-Working-on-an-ALICE-AND-WONDERLAND-Broadway-Show-20180309

BwayLB
#2Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 2:50pm

Another surprising adaptation plans for Wonderland. No sarcasm intended

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 3:06pm

They are both extremely talented, why not give us something new? JMO

Just give the world Love.

Will3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
#4Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 3:10pm

I love Duncan Sheik and will see anything he does but I was so hoping his next Broadway show would be Whisper House. I saw him in an intimate show in Mckinney Tx in 2009 and he sang through the CD. I have been hooked ever since. 

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#5Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 4:03pm

This is almost as boring as the chatter on here about Peterpan.  These properties need to go away for a really long long long long long long time.  

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 4:24pm

Will3700 said: "I love Duncan Sheik and will see anything he does but I was so hoping his next Broadway show would be Whisper House. I saw him in an intimate show in Mckinney Tx in 2009 and he sang through the CD. I have been hooked ever since."

Wish i had seen WHISPER HOUSE.. Listened to it a lot. A friend saw it and got me the tee shirt.

Just give the world Love.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#7Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:13pm

Didn't Sheik already do an Alice adaptation in London a few years ago? Will this be starting from scratch, or working from that?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#8Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:20pm

It played the Lyric Hammersmith in 2012. Based on the YT comments it seems to be licensed and oft performed in the UK.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

rattleNwoolypenguin
#9Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:49pm

Alice never works as an adaptation.

I'm sure it will look really cool and have some fun music, but the narrative arc of Alice is never strong enough outside of the book. It's just too passive and episodic. The joy of Alice is reading it purely. And as soon as you shoehorn in morals and dramatic tension it stops feeling like Alice and it becomes contrived, as we saw with Wildhorn's musical. 

Updated On: 3/9/18 at 10:49 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#10Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 11:42pm

Will3700 said: "I love Duncan Sheik and will see anything he does but I was so hoping his next Broadway show would be Whisper House. I saw him in an intimate show in Mckinney Tx in 2009 and he sang through the CD. I have been hooked ever since."

I was so excited to see Whisper House in London in April last year while it was still in previews. I love Duncan’s album of the songs from the show. I was so disappointed. Songs were still solid, but the show was weak due to a poorly written book. It closed shortly after it officially opened (although perhaps it had a predetermined limited run).

I love both Spring Awakening and Waitress. And I love the London OBCR from American Psycho although I didn’t get to see it in NYC or London.  That being said, while the music should be good, they’ll need a very strong book writer, especially considering other recent flops like Finding Neverland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that revolved around beloved childhood properties. Wishing them luck! It would be nice to see Sara have two consecutive Broadway hits and Duncan is overdue for another stage hit. 

Updated On: 3/9/18 at 11:42 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/9/18 at 11:56pm

Agree that this story just doesn’t work. It’s not a plot driven show and therefore doesn’t really work for adaptation. Don’t know why they’d choose this as it has been so overdone!

VintageSnarker
#12Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/10/18 at 12:28am

I hope Sheik's influence doesn't override hers. I think she actually has better instincts.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#13Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/10/18 at 1:58am

I can see their musical styles blending quite beautifully. I’m excited for this.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#14Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/12/18 at 11:00am

I just remember Sheik and his sister being really annoying when Spring Awakening first came out and were saying about how it was not really a Broadway musical and was above the genre, etc.

skys44ever
#15Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:26pm

It's going to MCC. This description sounds really interesting to me.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/MCC-Theater-Announces-New-Season-in-New-Home-20180321

"When the madness of the world is too much to bear, we take refuge in the stories we love. Tony® and Grammy® award-winning creators of Spring Awakening, Steven Saterand Duncan Sheik, reunite for their new musical Alice By Heart, inspired by Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and directed and co-written by Jessie Nelson (Waitress). In the rubble of the London Blitz of World War II, Alice Spencer's budding teen life is turned upside down, and she and her dear friend Alfred are forced to take shelter in an underground tube station. When the ailing Alfred is quarantined, Alice encourages him to escape with her into their cherished book and journey down the rabbit hole to wonderland. As they travel through the tale, Alice By Heart explores the poignancy of first love, coming to terms with loss, and finding the courage to move forward. This world premiere musical encourages us all to celebrate the transformational power of the imagination, even in the harshest of times."

VintageSnarker
#16Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/21/18 at 7:31pm

Sara isn't mentioned. Is she no longer involved or is this an oversight?

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#17Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/21/18 at 8:39pm

VintageSnarker said: "Sara isn't mentioned. Is she no longer involved or is this an oversight?"

She is probably going to start in it, but I don’t believe she has any involvement in th writing process.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#19Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/22/18 at 12:46pm

Good luck to them, but this show sounds absolutely unbearable to me. And reiterating what has been said above - Alice never transfers well to the (relatively modern) stage. Swados' Alice At The Palace (or In Concert) and Wildhorn's Wonderland were both utter torture to sit through. Carroll's brand of sunny nonsense/illogic is a delicate thing.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#20Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/22/18 at 12:53pm

The off-broadway immersive non-musical Then She Fell was interesting at least and is probably as successful as any theatrical Alice adaptation will be. I did decide after that one though that I’m probably not the right audience for fully immersive shows. The current off-broadway Sweeney Todd is the right amount of immersive for me. I think it would be interesting if they made this Alice adaptation interactive/immersive as well, but more in line with the amount found in Sweeney Todd.

skys44ever
#21Duncan Sheik/Sara B: Alice in Wonderland
Posted: 3/22/18 at 4:11pm

I get what everyone is saying about more alice stuff, but I was excited to hear that it actually sounds like a pretty new take on it. London Blitz is a pretty specific take.

Videos