pixeltracker

THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews- Page 3

THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#50THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/28/18 at 1:32am

Will you spoil the design for me? Curious. I saw the BAM production and was beyond bored. I don’t think O’Neil is for me.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#51THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/28/18 at 2:01am

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

What I find interesting about the design is that there are two levels with the second one hardly used (only twice as far as I remember). I take it as the symbol for the pipe dreams or a true place for the peace of mind that most of the characters never reached. 

Updated On: 3/28/18 at 02:01 AM

Tom-497
#52THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/29/18 at 2:57am

I attended tonight through TDF (Orch Row O). The show was well-paced and held my attention all the way through. I very much preferred it to the Nathan Lane version. I also thought it worked better, as a whole, than the Kevin Spacey version (although I thought Spacey's performance was incredible).  

Tonight, Denzel Washington and nearly all the rest of the cast were good, with David Morse a particular stand-out. However, nothing really struck me as amazing. Still, it's an early preview, and I'm looking forward to seeing the show again in a few weeks.

SPOILERS (mostly with regard to staging)

Washington performs his long monologue seated at the edge of the stage, facing the audience. When he began, I was thinking, "Oh, please don't stay there the entire time." However, he pretty much did stay there, and it wound up working well enough.

I thought that the design spoiler alluded to earlier in this thread was going to be something other than what it turned out to be. The design element that really stood out to me (and which I may have misunderstood or already be misremembering) is:

In the written play, the first and last scene occur in basically the same place (the back room/bar area in a hotel), with some rearrangement of furniture. In this production, though, it seemed to me that the set itself changed significantly. At the start, even though this bar is described as a "dump," it appears passable -- nothing special but not awful. However, in the last scene, "dump" would be far too kind a word -- it's more like a dark, grey pit in hell. I kind of got the impression that the first scene's take on the bar was meant to evoke a (relatively) pleasant "pipe-dream," while the last scene's approach is meant to illustrate what the bar (and the world of these characters) looks like when those dreams are taken away.

wolfwriter
#53THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 1:07am

Saw this tonight and first off, must thank TDF for the 6th row Orchestra Center seat. 

As for the show, I was underwhelmed, but it was fine. In fairness, the Kevin Spacey Iceman in 1999 is seared into my brain, so this had a lot to live up to.

Denzel Washington is good, but not revelatory. He does make some interesting choices that mostly work, particularly his final monologue. If only George C. Wolfe would make him get out of the chair. It's performed like a direct address monologue and it's just awkward (but, well acted).

I don't get the set. I'm still processing it and trying to figure it out. As, has been said, it's not exciting, but it's certainly a choice.

My biggest issue here is the cast. Colm Meaney as Harry Hope is excellent and outshines everyone on the stage, including Denzel Washington. He is totally the character and is excellent. I couldn't understand most of what Frank Wood said and why is Neil Huff playing Willie as Ed Grimley for the first half of the show. He was better when he dropped that, later in the show.

Most of the other actors are okay, some better than others, but a few don't have characters at all. Now to David Morse. I have been a fan since the 80s and St. Elsewhere, but he is all over the place with this. I can't imagine anyone upstairs can hear him. He may or may not have an accent. Early on, I didn't know what he was doing, but later on, he got a bit better. Maybe he'll find his footing. Sadly, the character of Parritt needs to play an arc and he's dull and inert. It's a large part and it really detracts from the play that the performance is so weak.

I usually like George C. Wolfe as a director, so I was looking for something different, something new about the work, which I love, and, sadly, this just didn't do it for me and I'm not hopeful that this will change throughout the preview period.

Glad I saw it, but is was only 'okay' for me.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#54THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 9:00am

Saw this last night via TDF, we were off to the side front row mezz. Great seats for the price. The show is worth simply because of Denzel’s monologue towards the end and some of the other folks were even better than Denzel. The show was slow in the beginning and I found it hard to understand many of the actors. I’m glad I saw it though...

CoercedBull Profile Photo
CoercedBull
#55THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 9:37am

wolfwriter said: "Denzel Washington is good, but not revelatory. He does make some interesting choices that mostly work, particularly his final monologue. If only George C. Wolfe wouldmake him get out of the chair. It's performed like a direct address monologue and it's just awkward (but, well acted)."

I was weary when Denzel first sat down, but once he got going, I thought it was a fine choice. It's a bold move to have Hickey turn to the audience like that, but I imagine Wolfe wouldn't allow it if Denzel's performance wasn't so good, or even if it was a bit more bombastic. Since Denzel seems to be performing the monologue so intimately, I think the chair makes some amount of sense.

Can anyone who has seen the last couple of nights report how Denzel did remembering the monologue? He had to ask for two lines when I was there Tuesday, and I read that he had to ask for three a couple of nights before that. It's a monster of a monologue, for sure, and I'm sure he'll get it all in his head before opening.

pretzelman2
#56THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 10:21am

What a slog at this juncture. We couldn't wait for it to end last night. I have NO doubt it will improve with weeks of previews to go, but speaking as an O'Neill fan but complete Iceman Cometh virgin -- me and my friend just couldn't even follow what was going on.

I don't want to name names early in previews, but several of the Tony-winning etc supporting players were incomprehensible for more than half their lines, the accents were delightful in theory but diction was SORELY lacking, especially for such dense and old-timey-slang-filled language. Seems like an easy fix with one diction note from Mr. Wolfe, hope that'll happen, cuz right now GUH.

Others in supporting cast were fine to really great (all the ladies were spot-on, though do we really need a revival of a show where the few women on stage are literally dumb whores who get slapped around??).

Denzel...(okay that name I'll name)...is one of my favorite screen actors, and he has MOMENTS here that were striking and beautiful, he's got such emotional facility, and you never doubt his truthfulness for a second...BUT in terms of filling that stage with his choices... :/ I hoped at worst the play would be fine and then "oooh Denzel's onstage, magic", but he wasn't even my favorite performer onstage. I honestly perked up more every time Michael Potts had stuff to do.

The exception was Denzel's big last monologue which was the best part of the play but in the same way Denzel brilliantly doing a Juliet monologue would be good too. I didn't feel like I knew what Hickey's deal was throughout the play, and not in a good way. It just felt like Denzel. (Didn't help that textual references to him being fat or a slob made me think Denzel was miscast?)

But principally we just didn't know what was going on with all the supporting players' journeys so weren't invested in anything. Were almost tempted to leave at various intermissions, but we kept waiting for it to somehow turn amazing.

These are obviously all pros, plus this play is considered a total classic, so I assume with another month of rehearsal the show could turn out to be spectacular. I'd advise steering clear for a few weeks though. Right now me and my friend felt we'd totally wasted our time and money, sadly! THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews

pretzelman2
#57THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 10:24am

Oh no one called for line during Thursday's show though.

wolfwriter
#58THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 10:26am

CoercedBull said: 

I was weary when Denzel first sat down, but once he got going, I thought it was a fine choice. It's a bold move to have Hickey turn to the audience like that, but I imagine Wolfe wouldn't allow it if Denzel's performance wasn't so good, or even if it was a bit more bombastic. Since Denzel seems to be performing the monologue so intimately, I think the chair makes some amount of sense.

Can anyone who has seen the last couple of nights report how Denzel did remembering the monologue? He had to ask for two lines when I was there Tuesday, and I read that he had to ask for three a couple of nights before that. It's a monster of a monologue, for sure, and I'm sure he'll get it all in his head before opening.

"

He seemed to remember all of it last night, although throughout the show, I noticed he stumbled numerous times, but that never bothers me.

I agree that I really enjoyed how he acted the monologue. What I meant by awkward was that he was speaking to the audience, but the monologue is broken up a few times and several times, when he was addressing the other characters, he awkwardly leaned back to speak to them. It might just be something as simple as moving the chair back a bit. Not a big deal in an otherwise excellent delivery.

I forgot to mention, Michael Potts, who was excellent as Joe and even received exit applause, which was well-earned.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#59THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 10:37am

Does anyone think the accents are more distracting than immersive? Like some who have reported, I find it hard to follow or even understand some of the characters many times. I know that they fit the time period, but for someone who doesn't watch a lot of old movies and is seeing the show for the first time, I wonder how much more I would've appreciated the play if I could understand more of what was said.

wolfwriter
#60THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 12:51pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Does anyone think the accents are more distracting than immersive? Like some who have reported, I find it hard to follow or even understand some of the characters many times. I know that they fit the time period, but for someone who doesn't watch a lot of old movies and is seeing the show for the first time, I wonder how much more I would've appreciated the play if I could understand more of what was said."

Agree completely. I can only imagine the monumental task of memorizing so many lines, but throw in blocking, accents and then actually "acting" the part and that's intimidating to even the best actors.

I found David Morse and Frank Wood often unintelligible. Until Hickey arrives almost an hour into the play, I occasionally had the feeling the David Morse was trying to remember his lines and to keep his accent. If he dropped the accent, I wonder if he would be louder, which would benefit everyone and he would better focus on his lines and line readings. Both Morse and Wood are much better actors than what I saw last night and I think you have definitely identified the issue.

bee
#61THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 9:44pm

The Set/Costumes: Hardly the last-chance dive described by O'Neill. Red curtain in the birthday party scene must of cost a fortune. Why George Wolfe, why? COSTUMES: Not a sweat stain in sight. No $$$$ to 'age' the clothes? And Parritt's suit looks circa 1940's - Larry Slade's costume looks ..contemporary?

Like others, could not understand David Morse half the time. He was not great, not terrible.Larry must be a devilishly hard part because I have never seen what I think was a satisfactory performance of it. Double all that for Parritt. Some day I hope some young actor (or director) will figure out an angle make him more than just annoying.

Denzel's entrance wonderfully staged for a big star the audience is dying to applaud. Age is catching up with him live and that works great for Hickey. Wish his speech has a few more notes towards 19th century patter but he is a wonderful actor, always bringing something to the table - always truthful.

When he first turns his chair to deliver his monologue to the audience it took my breath away - but despite being impressively intimate, it ultimately lacked the sense of structure I really appreciated about Nathan Lane's performance at BAM. And Lane more than any of the other 4 actors I've seen in this role REALLY made a moment of the Hickey's crucial decision to go along with Harry Hope's suggestion he's 'crazy' - something Denzel did nothing with in the performance I saw.

Am tempted to go back and see it again, because it very much seems like a work in progress. Updated On: 3/31/18 at 09:44 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#62THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/31/18 at 8:13am

Call_me_jorge said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Sorry, but can someone post the Instagram location tag for the Bernard b Jacobs theatre? I can’t get it to show up on my instagram. "

Bump
"

Bump

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Willy Loman2
#63THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/31/18 at 2:30pm

Agree about David Morse. I thought his costume and his hair seemed somewhat contemporary. I just thought he was badly miscast. For a great Larry Slade, watch Robert Ryan in the film version. He was amazing. But the part is very difficult because he repeats himself so much and it's hard to keep variety in the character. Loved Washington, although he did have to call for line twice during his long monologue which was a shame because it took me momentarily out of the story. I liked the young man who played Parritt another devilishly difficult part..  I found his performance compelling and moving.  Other standouts  for me were Colm Meany, Bill Irwin and Michael Pitts. Why didnt they cast Bill Irwin as Slade? Now that would have been  interesting! My biggest problem with the production is the sets. The styalistic changes were so severe that I was never sure where I was. I'm shocked that they didn't solve this!  But I still loved the show and am so glad I saw it!

Updated On: 3/31/18 at 02:30 PM

BWAY Baby2
#64THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/3/18 at 1:09am

Saw it tonight- one of the peak theater experiences of my life. Was engrossed every second and the time flew by. I actually felt privileged to see this- Denzel was masterful- as was most of the cast. Did have a hard time understanding the little German guy- and one or two of the men with beards- but all in all- was completely blown away. I highly recommend this show- it is a peak theater experience- and it is NOT a downer- actually, the first act let like a comedy almost- very funny and entertaining- it did get deeper- but never overly serious- always engrossing and interesting, deep and thrilling- great acting, sets and costumes- if you love theater- you must see this- that is how highly I recommend this. Anyone who calls this a slow going slog- I just do not get it- this is not a slog- this is a thrilling, fast moving dramatic masterpiece. 

BWAY Baby2
#65THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/3/18 at 6:28am

BTW- was in row 3-perfect seat- very low stage- front row would be great for this one. 

BWAY Baby2
#66THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 6:19am

I can't figure out this board- one of the greatest plays- by one of the greatest dramatists ever- a play that is so entertaining, complex, multileveled- starring a 2 time Oscar winning iconic actor who truly is an amazing presence- and nary a word about it- lots of Hello, Dolly- and no Iceman Cometh enthusiasm. I find that strange- especially when- even after seeing Bette in Dolly a few months ago- Denzel in Iceman cannot even be compared- one is an artistic masterpiece- and the other basically  an entertaining piece of fluff. Though I can say that Angels in America is getting its due on the board- but Iceman seems to be getting short shrift.

wonkit
#67THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 8:56am

ICEMAN is challenging, because of its length if nothing else. I haven't seen this production but I saw Lane at BAM. A long long evening in the theater, even when it works.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#68THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 9:02am

Willy Loman2 said: "For a great Larry Slade, watch Robert Ryan in the film version. He was amazing. But the part is very difficult because he repeats himself so much and it's hard to keep variety in the character."

Thank you Will Loman2, Ryan was superb in that movie.

Mediamaven2
#69THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 10:34am

BWAY Baby2 said: "I can't figure out this board- one of the greatest plays- by one of the greatest dramatists ever- a play that is so entertaining, complex, multileveled- starring a 2 time Oscar winning iconic actor who truly is an amazing presence- and nary a word about it- lots of Hello, Dolly- and no Iceman Cometh enthusiasm. I find that strange..... Iceman seems to be getting short shrift."

Okay, I'll go.

I saw this for the first time ever, completely unfamiliar with the play. Thought it was a great evening of theater. Great acting all around. Denzel yes a magnetic thrilling presence on the stage.The actors who portrayed Harry and Ed and Don and the harvard law character whose name I forget  were phenomenal, I thought. Okay that was the character named Willie (I just looked it up).  Loved the comic relief 'tarts'. Understood everyone (some above said that actors were difficult to decipher?). There was one though -   Hugo. He spoke with a heavy accent which I found difficult but many people in theater obviously didn't because there was laughter several times after he spoke. I get that the character of Larry is kind of one note - he was a favorite at the start as the one who seems to see clearly yet became the least interesting to me by the end. I don't know if this is the actor or the part. I thought all the other actors/characters in the bar were so fantastically drawn and portrayed. I thought the costumes and make up were terrific. I thought that the opening moment, frozen,  despite it being a barren bar/flophouse, was like looking at a painting, a tableau. That is such a credit to who exactly? The set designer, the costume designer,  lighting director, all together and therefore the director?   Being super close to the stage only helped to appreciate all of these details and yes stage is very low so too close doesn't apply here.

I never saw Denzel live and his style seemed very conversational and casual. So much so that when he was a fed a line I didn't even realize he needed one! Perhaps if I was familiar with the play I would have noticed that. It was so seamlessly done that my friend, also unfamiliar with the play and sitting further into the middle of the orchestra, did not even notice that it happened! 

The evening FLEW by. I was worried frankly that I would get restless but I could not believe that four hours in the theater had passed by the time it was done (actually ran closer to 3'50"THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews

I noticed the director and an an assistant with notepads at intermission. I am always so curious what the different changes are with something like this - a play that is famous and written - none of it gets cut I imagine. So subtle changes, I guess? To do with pacing, delivery, staging-- things that someone not intimately familiar with the play would ever notice? ...and I definitely DO  plan to see this again ...

Updated On: 4/5/18 at 10:34 AM

BWAY Baby2
#70THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 4/5/18 at 4:29pm

Thanks for the feedback- I loved reading the posts- I had never seen the show before and was so impressed that I just needed to express myself. Yes, the 4 hours flew by-I have seen half hour sitcoms that seemed longer. What a great night in the theater- people were yelling out Thank You to the cast when the play was finished. I had never seen that before.

theblackumbrella
#71THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 6/6/22 at 9:58pm

With the new Elvis film arriving soon, I was reading about Austin Butler and was surprised to see that he was in this production. The New Yorker gave him the following rave: Although there are many performers in George C. Wolfe's staging of Eugene O'Neill's phenomenal [...] drama, The Iceman Cometh, [...] there is only one actor, and his name is Austin Butler.

Baz Luhrmann said the following about casting Butler: “And then I got a call from Denzel Washington, who gave me a cold call,” he said. “I did not know Denzel. And he said, ‘I’ve just worked with this guy on stage. I’ve never seen a work ethic like it.’ And I’m like, ‘OK, I must see him.'”

I’m just wondering if those who saw the production remember anything revelatory now that he’s positioned to be breaking out this year. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#72THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 6/6/22 at 10:49pm

I wrote about this in another thread a few weeks ago: 

I was familiar with Butler’s work from a few TV shows, most notably Switched At Birth, and he seemed to generally be cast as a cool-guy hunk. 

When I saw him in Iceman Cometh, the name didn’t ring any bells because I just knew him as “that guy,” and I completely didn’t recognize him because the character was totally different from his usual roles. The character is much more of an anxious dweeby type. 

I’m a bit biased, maybe, because I think Alan Parrish is one of more annoying characters in The Iceman Cometh - so for me, there wasn’t anything revelatory or wildly impressive about the performance, but Butler played it well. And he was playing against type, which I suppose added a layer of impressiveness to it. 

The irony is that the character of Elvis is perhaps closer to Butler’s other work, where he played the cool-guy hunk. So of all the gigs that could’ve resulted in getting cast as Elvis, it’s ironic that it would be the one where he played a distinctly un-Elvis-like character. 

It seems like Washington was responding more to his work ethic and talent, which is very cool, but still a little strange that this is the specific project Washington would’ve recommended Butler for based on his work in Iceman. Unless Washington was so impressed by Butler that he called around to a ton of different Hollywood figures, and Luhrmann was the one to take the advice? 

Ke3
#73THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 6/7/22 at 4:57am

JBroadway said: "It seems like Washington was responding more to his work ethic and talent, which is very cool, but still a little strange that this is the specific project Washington would’ve recommended Butler for based on his work in Iceman. Unless Washington was so impressed by Butler that he called around to a ton of different Hollywood figures, and Luhrmann was the one to take the advice?"

My understanding of it was that Austin was up for this specific role, and Denzel called Baz to give him a boost.

bfreak
#74THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Previews
Posted: 6/7/22 at 9:02am

I remember being incredibly impressed with Butler’s performance in this a few years back. The depth, honesty, and ultimate tragedy in his performance was on full display and I remember being so engaged with how well he went toe-to-toe with Washington and the ensemble.

This is a very nice story going around regarding Denzel recommending him for the role, and speaks to how well of a mentor and teacher he is for young actors. A true advocate for up and coming talent.