MEAN GIRLS Reviews

Nicole 10
#25MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 9:23pm

^^ Also reported that it opened at the Neil Simon while it is at the August Wilson...

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#26MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 9:38pm

Funny how people nitpick typos and declare the review obsolete when it  goes against their opinion (of a show they haven’t seen yet).

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 4/8/18 at 09:38 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#28MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 9:43pm

These reviews are nice.

Cfried
BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#30MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 9:48pm

Brantley is up for NYTimes. Mixed to negative, calling it "indecisive" and "underdeveloped," though he says he didn't have a bad time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/08/theater/mean-girls-review-broadway-musical.html

Jeffrey Karasarides
Mildred Plotka
#32MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 9:53pm

Why don’t you let other people try to post things? Are you on this site’s payroll? Running the preview and awards show threads wasn’t enough for you?

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#33MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:05pm

These reviews are much better than I expected. In typical form, Brantley loves Taylor Louderman, another blonde for his collection.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#34MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:07pm

I see the NYT review as mixed to positive. He liked it way more than Anastasia and Frozen

Jeffrey Karasarides
#35MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:09pm

Jesse Green reviewed Frozen, not Ben Brantley.

EDIT: Never mind

Updated On: 4/8/18 at 10:09 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#36MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:10pm

Jeffrey, I believe disneybroadwayfan was referring to Brantley's direct reference of Frozen in his review here.

I think we can all agree that Brantley is just straight-up mixed. The following line can't be seen as positive: "Mr. Richmond and Ms. Benjamin’s many (many) musical numbers are passable by middle-of-the-road Broadway standards (though Ms. Benjamin’s shoehorned rhymes do not bear close examination)."

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#37MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:12pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I see the NYT review as mixed to positive. He liked it way more than Anastasia and Frozen"

....and Wicked too, apparently...which kinda blows my mind. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#38MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:15pm

Brantley is mixed, but it’s clear that he did have a great time. He spends much more time being positive than being negative, but he just really dislikes the score (admittedly a large problem). These reviews are better than I expected considering the comments in the preview thread. The show is lucky it’s a weak season for new musicals.

I can’t wait to see it in a few weeks!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#39MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:25pm

Brantley's review is not nice.

The general tone is that it does not work.

TheatreRocks Profile Photo
TheatreRocks
#40MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:26pm

HenryTDobson said: " another blonde for his collection."

OOOFFFFFF

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#41MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:26pm

Brantley's nastiness towards other young-women shows is... really something. Wonder why he left Waitress out of that little tangent? Unsurprised at his review, this didn't seem like his kind of show.

Also find it interesting that the book is usually blamed for a bad or so-so musical, and in this case it seems to be the one thing that was praised across the board.

Updated On: 4/8/18 at 10:26 PM

IdinaBellFoster
#42MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:41pm

It'll be interesting to see where they place Louderman. From these reviews it appears Hanson, Weed & Louderman are the most likely to score nominations. 

bwayrose7 - I agree. It's almost strange to see reviews that praise the book. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

dougs9797
#43MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:44pm

Not sure why a lot of posters on here are taking the title of this musical way too seriously....some very "mean guys and girls" on the board tonight.

I think the score is being a little unjustly criticized. It would have been easy to take any of the many taglines of the movie and turned them into musical moments. I think the reason the score is taking the brunt of the criticism is actually because it serves the story too well, melding seamlessly into the story.

Also good to see Louderman getting credit for her fine work from several crtics here. This story needs a strong Regina and they got it in Louderman. She drives the show every time she's on stage as Regina should.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#44MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:45pm

Mildred Plotka said: "Why don’t you let other people try to post things? Are you on this site’s payroll? Running the preview and awards show threads wasn’t enough for you?"

We're done with you acting this way.  Done.  Everyone is ignoring you, they are sick of it.  Stop it.  Stop.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Mildred Plotka
#46MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 11:20pm

Sondheimite said: "Mildred Plotka said: "Why don’t you let other people try to post things? Are you on this site’s payroll? Running the preview and awards show threads wasn’t enough for you?"

We're done with you acting this way. Done. Everyone is ignoring you, they are sick of it. Stop it. Stop.
"

You're Sybil now I assume?

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#47MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 11:39pm

I think they should put Louderman in Leading. She doesn't have a shot at winning in either category, but if she's in Featured, she might get edged out by her co-stars, plus it's already a crowded category for nominees. It seems like Rockwell and Park will split the votes for a nomination, therefore neither of them will get it, but if Louderman is Leading, Weed can easily get a Featured nom (without splitting the votes with Louderman) and I believe Louderman would actually have a shot at getting a Leading nom, especially since it doesn't look likely that Henningsen will be giving her much competition.

I hope this made sense, haha.

IdinaBellFoster
#48MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 11:56pm

Time Out is POSITIVE

"But this version of Mean Girls is not just a copy of the original. The most famous lines from the screenplay are here, but Casey Nicholaw’s energetic staging wisely breezes past them; the newer jokes get bigger laughs, while the score—by Jeff Richmond and Nell Benjamin—successfully builds on Fey’s knowingly corrective tone. (“This is modern feminism talkin’,” sings a high-heeled ditz in one of Benjamin’s most Feyish lyrics. “I expect to run the world / In shoes I cannot walk in.&rdquoMEAN GIRLS Reviews"

Entertainment Weekly is POSITIVE

"An ode to self-respect and the benefits of a STEM-based education, Broadway’s Mean Girls is a lively, frequently hilarious adaptation of Tina Fey’s 2004 high school comedy. Propelled by dazzling set design and several stand-out performances, the musical — written by Fey, with music by Jeff Richmond, and directed by Casey Nicholaw (The Book of Mormon) — gives fans everything they want while bringing the saga of Regina George and the Plastics into the social media age."

Deadline is a RAVE

"Vibrant, beautifully sung and visually splendid, this funny charmer – book by Fey, music by Jeff Richmond and lyrics by Nell Benjamin – broadens the original Paramount movie – a bar-raiser for teen flicks – to full musical comedy scale without sacrificing any of the mordancy and compassion that made a superstar of Lindsay Lohan and a generational descriptor of the title."

Overall, a much better reception than FROZEN.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#49MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/8/18 at 11:59pm

Wow, they started off weak earlier, then the reviews just kept getting better throughout the night!