Songs for a New World

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#50Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/28/18 at 2:50am

I would like to see them do Starting Here, Starting now next year. It is formatted beautifully and smartly conceived. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#51Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/28/18 at 6:06am

The newish City Center website is a royal pain for me.  Does not want to work on IPad or desktop (Edge)...I don’t always want to browse and purchase off my phone.  Grrrr.  

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#52Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/28/18 at 9:06am

Most of my thoughts have been shared, but will add briefly:

I enjoyed some moments last night and thought there was a ton of talent on the stage.  I was familiar with many songs but not the whole work.  Some choices felt misguided, but it was good to see the cycle presented with lots of skill and enthusiasm.

Colin is given the weakest material, but was also the least prepared, so his acting suffered, if it even existed.

They used books about 1/3 of the time, but that was also the weakest 1/3.  The final song felt uncertain, which detracted from the overall effect of the evening.  I suspect they'll improve over the short run.

The dancers were overused, and I didn't quite get how extensive use of pop & lock and the robot was supposed to contribute to the plot, aside from using up the large space.

The pianist/director was indeed extremely emotive.  I didn't necessarily find it distracting as I was far house-right and the piano blocked some of him, but could see how others would, depending on the angle.

JRB was in attendance, and very graciously signed a playbill for my friend, who is a stoic, grown man but could barely contain his excitement.

Who dressed Shoshana?  Her act 1 garb produced a muffin top and unintentionally exposed midriff, and you could definitely see some things you weren't supposed to in the Mrs. Claus outfit.  She spun it into comedy, but it couldn't have been intentional.

Finally, the superfans were out IN FORCE last night.  Huge, separate applause and hollering for the house going to half, the house going dark, the orchestra's first note, each actor's first appearance, and each actor's first note.  Boisterous hooting and laughing for funny lines before they were even fully sung.  I'm happy that others were enjoying themselves so much (and felt compelled to show it, though at times it was more "look at me, I'm having fun!" than natural), but it reminded me that if you're not a superfan, you may have a better chance to appreciate these Encores presentations by going to a performance other than the first (or last) one.

Updated On: 6/28/18 at 09:06 AM

dave1606
#53Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:57pm

I was there last night and have to say I thought it was fantastic. I thought all four performers were outstanding and Mykal Kilgore was ready to blow the roof off the building with that voice!

I think it’s interesting to look at this as a first work JRB as I felt so many shades of his other works in this.

I’ve always liked the original cast recording but wasn’t sure if I’d be engaged by seeing this in person, but I felt like each song/scene really played well and told their individual stories. Funny watching this a day after seeing Head Over Heels where the songs are played in a complete vacuum from the story, and the lyrics don’t have anything to do with what’s happening onstage. Here even though there isn’t an overarching story I felt so involved in each song.

Solea Pfeiffer is such a find! I can imagine she must have been great in Hamilton. I loved her “I’m Not Afraid.” Shoshana I really enjoyed and thought she nailed “Surabaya-Santa" and especially enjoyed when she threw the cork off the whiskey she was holding and it flew into the audience. She played it off with a quick “sorry!” that was really funny. Colin may not have had the showy of the rolls but I found him charming and in good voice.

Overall I thought it was a great evening, probably my favorite of the Off Center series and I’d really love for them to record a new cast album!

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#54Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/28/18 at 5:03pm

TonyVincent said: "Most of my thoughts have been shared, but will add briefly:

I enjoyed some moments last night and thought there was a ton of talent on the stage. I was familiar with many songs but not the whole work. Some choices felt misguided, but it was good to see the cycle presented with lots of skilland enthusiasm.

Colin is given the weakest material, but was also the least prepared, so his acting suffered, if it even existed.

They used books about 1/3 of the time, but that was also the weakest 1/3. The final song felt uncertain, which detracted from the overall effect of the evening. I suspectthey'll improve over the short run.

The dancers were overused, and I didn't quite get how extensive use of pop & lock and the robot was supposed to contribute to the plot, aside from using up the large space.

The pianist/director was indeed extremely emotive. I didn't necessarily find it distracting as I was far house-right and the piano blocked some of him, but could see how others would, depending on the angle.

JRB was in attendance, and very graciously signed a playbill for my friend, who is a stoic, grown man but could barely contain his excitement.

Who dressed Shoshana? Her act 1 garb produced amuffin top and unintentionally exposed midriff, and you could definitely see some things you weren't supposed to in the Mrs. Claus outfit. She spun it into comedy, but it couldn't have been intentional.

Finally, the superfans were out IN FORCE last night. Huge, separate applause and hollering for the house going to half, the house going dark, the orchestra's first note, each actor's first appearance, and each actor's first note. Boisterous hootingand laughing for funny lines before they were even fully sung. I'm happy that others were enjoying themselves so much (and felt compelled to show it, though at times it was more "look at me, I'm having fun!" than natural), but it reminded me that if you're not a superfan, you may have a better chance to appreciatethese Encores presentations by going to a performance other than the first (or last) one.
"

We were both on the same page.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#55Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/28/18 at 5:21pm

It was kind of a trippy experience seeing this last night.  Like...all of a sudden I was 22 again.  Lord, is that material firmly rooted in the 90s.  But it was great to revisit the early work of the man who would go on to write PARADE, LAST 5 YEARS and BRIDGES.  Totally nostalgic. 

What I wouldn't give, though, to see this same performance in a small off-Broadway house.  I did a show at the same theater where SONGS premiered (the WPA) about two years after.  It was kind of a gay SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD.  You could see nearly every face in the audience from that stage.  The power of those songs gets a diffused when they have to fill a barn.  But...quibbles aside, it was a great night.  Mykal Kilgore is a flipping star and Solea Pfeiffer's Christmas Lullaby was exquisite.  I forget that it's not a Christmas standard.  

OH...and I'd love to see AND THE WORLD GOES ROUND next summer.  

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#56Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/29/18 at 1:48am

Went last night, the 28th. A wonderful way to spend a Thursday evening.

Shoshana did the same with the cork last night and also "called" for a line. She was perfection. What she added vocally, style wise, was perfect.

Nobody overdid anything vocally. Donnell was pretty restrained which did not work for "She Cries". He sang perfectly but without a lot of emotion throughout the show.

Kilgore was fabulous. Of course everyone was waiting for KING OF THE WORLD and there was app!ause at the begining of the song. He nailed it but didn't take it as over the top as I think people were expecting. He saved that for FLYING HOME. His vocals just soar in that number. And the clarity of his voice is astounding.

For me, Ms Pfeiffer quietly stole the night. Her CHRISTMAS LULLABY was just amazing. I was holding my breath and a bit choked up. She too was perfection and her chemistry with Bean was fun to watch.

The new orchestrations/arrangements are just steller. They breathe new life into this music. Also the addition of the strings is just wonderful. And the band/orchestra sounded great.

There were some sound problems in the last 20 minutes that were annoying  at times and whoever was mixing the sound did a poor job during a few songs by basically dropping out the backing vocals.

The dancers were ok. Not sure why hip hop dancing was chosen. And at times the dancers were not in unison when they were supposed to be. They worked best in THE WORLD WAS DANCING. Go figure.

But all in all it was a thrilling night. I hope somebody decides that this version should be recorded and makes it happen.

I was asking about Merch earlier in the thread. There is a window card and magnet just for this show along with the other items mentioned. Got my magnet.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/29/18 at 01:48 AM

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#57Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/29/18 at 5:49pm

Two tickets for sale face value for the Saturday matinee. Grand Tier Row A. Updated: tickets are no longer available.

Updated On: 6/29/18 at 05:49 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#58Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/30/18 at 10:51pm

Have Shoshana’s boobs been popping out of her Christmas costume at every show or was it a “bit” she did tonight?

jdln1973
#59Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/30/18 at 10:57pm

It happened on Thursday night.. I think it was a 'bit' put into the show...

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#60Songs for a New World
Posted: 6/30/18 at 11:04pm

I'm sure it became a bit, but they were definitely about to jump. Amidst the cheers and laughter, I heard one breast riff, "Murray!" in a whistle tone.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#61Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 1:34am

I found it to be obviously put into the show and well done.

AntV
#62Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 1:52am

JRB didn't always get on piano for Christmas Lullaby at every show did he? Cause he did Saturday night.

NewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
#63Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 6:31am

Worth noting the show before the show, Lucky That Way, by the Civilians, a 20-minute musical based on interviews with the original company of "Songs for A New World." It was funny, tuneful, and informative.

Review: Songs For A New World and Lucky That Way. How Jason Robert Brown Owes His Career to Yoko Ono

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#64Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 10:10am

AntV said: "JRB didn't always get on piano for Christmas Lullaby at every show did he? Cause he did Saturday night."

He did not. That was a special closing night surprise. Was it distracting at all? It’s such a quiet moment in the production.

Solea and Mykal were the standouts for me. They were excellent. “Christmas Lullaby” and “Flying Home” were exquisite.

I want to defend the use of books in hand for this production. That used to be the norm at Encores shows since they are technically supposed to be staged readings, and I thought it was smart of these actors to use the books when they did. The books were used during the group numbers because this show’s harmonies (which sounded so tight) are extremely difficult. Being a great soloist doesn’t make  you a good part singer, and memorizing harmonies is much harder than learning solo melody lines, so good for them for not sacrificing anything musically. In addition, they’ve had about a week of rehearsal; not a lot of time. You will commonly see the singing ensembles of Encores shows holding a binder as they stand in small groups at a mic to sing group numbers. This is nothing new. Hold that book and flip that page, Shoshana!

I really hope we get a cast recording out of this. The interpretations and voices are so different from the original, and while I’d never want to forget that original recording, I’d love these fresh voices and orchestrations preserved. 

teatime2
#65Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 6:04pm

Any rumblings about a cast recording?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#66Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 6:35pm

I had a nice, long reflective post written but then my WiFi connection dropped on me.

Anyway, I have to reiterate much of what has been said—this was lovely production and a great way to spend the evening. The dancers add nothing, but Solea Pfeiffer’s Christmas Lullaby is breathtaking. Colin Donnell was solid and sounded good, but was just outshined a little by those around him. I enjoyed Shoshana Bean in this much more then I’ve enjoyed her in the past. And finally, I have nothing more to add about Mykal Kilgore. I don’t get how he does it. The dude is a beast and he has great hair. I’m scared of talent like his.

Updated On: 7/1/18 at 06:35 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#67Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 9:20pm

Was the talkback after yesterday’s matinee recorded? I went and recall Mykal telling us that he never knew about a career in musical theater until he went to college to study to become a choir teacher! I’m so glad he chose to pursue musical theater! He has a great voice and instrument.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#68Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 10:32pm

teatime2 said: "Any rumblings about a cast recording?"

Yes, there are.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#69Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/1/18 at 10:47pm

CT2NYC said: "teatime2 said: "Any rumblings about a cast recording?"

Yes, there are.
"

Great to hear!! The original recording is great but I’d love a new one. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

TonyVincent
#70Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/2/18 at 8:55am

HeyMrMusic said: "AntV said: "I want to defend the use of books in hand for this production. That used to be the norm at Encores shows since they are technically supposed to be staged readings, and I thought it was smart of these actorsto use the books when they did. The bookswere used during the group numbers because this show’sharmonies (which sounded so tight) are extremely difficult. Being a great soloist doesn’t make you a good part singer, and memorizing harmonies ismuch harder than learning solo melody lines, so good for them for not sacrificing anything musically. In addition,they’ve had about a week of rehearsal; not a lot of time.You will commonly see the singing ensembles of Encores shows holding a binder as they stand in small groups at a mic to sing group numbers. This is nothing new. Hold that book and flip that page, Shoshana!"

This is a good point.  For the record, I was not criticizing the use of books in my post -- just observing that those parts also had the least confidence/acting/effect for me.  With the sound design, I don't think those complex harmonies had a chance to shine.  I love complex 4-part harmony, but didn't really notice them in the moment.

We are truly blessed/spoiled by the Encores! series.  I've been going since they actually were "staged readings," and the fact that most of these productions are now just as elaborate and polished as Broadway's open runs is amazing.  In a week they are able to create a more affecting presentation than many Broadway productions can muster in 6+ weeks of rehearsal.  Granted, the material is usually of high quality, and it is often directed with a more discerning audience in mind than some of the tourist fodder, but I frequently have multiple Encores productions in my personal top 5 each year.  What a testament to the talent involved to throw it all together so quickly.

Updated On: 7/2/18 at 08:55 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#71Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/2/18 at 11:36am

The moments with the books, for me, added something to the night. The for stands at the beginning just sitting on the stage heightened the anticipation. And the few times they used them throughout just worked. I felt it was more of a director's choice as it seemed they knew the music. I did notice Shoshana did have to flip forward in her sheet music to catch up at one point. Just my random thoughts.

TonyVincent
#72Songs for a New World
Posted: 7/3/18 at 10:32am

Colin definitely needed them, on Wednesday at least.