pixeltracker

Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady- Page 4

Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady

Dolly80
#75Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 2:48am

I would imagine this is the date she always intended to leave. She will have done 6 months, which for a lady of her vintage is quite a commitment. Plus she’s away from home and her family etc.

I do agree though that it was mean of her to talk out against Ambrose publicly. I’m surprised they didn’t have an alternate officially do 1 or 2 of the shows from the very start. Sadly we’re not in the golden age anymore where Eliza was played 8 times a week by Julie Andrews.

If Benanti had played it, she’d be missing shows all over the place going by her track record.

Loopin’theloop
#76Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 5:30am

Soaring29 said: "Rigg has a point about Ambrose's decision, although it isn't totally off the wall to me- vocal health is important after all and what Ambrose is doing does not seem unprofessional. That said, Eliza Doolittle is not an incredibly difficult role to singand although obviously the whole roleis a daunting, demanding challenge to do 8 times a week , this is BROADWAY, where everyone is expected to meet those demands. Mary Beth Peilsums it up perfectly here:“As a 78 year old, I’m expected to do eight shows a week at the same kind of routine as the 25-year-olds in my show,”(http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/mary-beth-peil-sides-with-diana-rigg-in-my-fair-lady-dispute.html)."

People are very quick to say a role isn’t difficult to sing, without taking into account all the other factors that go with it. This isn’t a concert of the show with no dialogue, choreography or costume changes-this is a role that goes from A-Z emotionally and the vocal demands of the flower girl portions of the show are high. You then take into account how much time the actor is doing nothing, when backstage or how much of that time is spent changing wigs and costumes, also the physical demands of the show - movement, choreography. It’s the same with ‘Hello, Dolly!’ no the score isn’t the most challenging to sing that has ever been written but if you take all the above into account, it’s a marathon. 

Whilst there are others who could sing the score with more ease, this isn’t the business of putting ‘easy’ on the stage. This production and its director are more interested in dramatic, emotional thrills and raw storytelling over the sorts of safe choices one might associate with a revival of this piece - whether the role is easy to sing for one person in comparison to another, is irrelevant. They have chosen the Eliza they wanted to make this new production and they have chosen to give her a day off, doesn’t matter if some other actor would or wouldn’t need it, as they didn’t get the gig.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#77Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 5:40am

Sondheimite said: "SmoothLover said: "As I said in a previous thread; acting is all about trust and Rigg blew that when she decided to spill the beans with the NY gossip columnist. I say good riddance."

I 100% agree. It doesn't matter if you agree with Rigg or not. Rigg hurt the dynamic of acting between two people.
"

I think Ambrose will live lol- it wasn't that great of a move, but whatever. They have very minimal scenes together and it should work out fine given that Rigg is leaving soon. 

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#78Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 5:54am

Loopin’theloop said: "Soaring29 said: "Rigg has a point about Ambrose's decision, although it isn't totally off the wall to me- vocal health is important after all and what Ambrose is doing does not seem unprofessional. That said, Eliza Doolittle is not an incredibly difficult role to sing and although obviously the whole role is a daunting, demanding challenge to do 8 times a week , this is BROADWAY, where everyone is expected to meet those demands. Mary Beth Peilsums it up perfectly here:“As a 78 year old, I’m expected to do eight shows a week at the same kind of routine as the 25-year-olds in my show,”(http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/mary-beth-peil-sides-with-diana-rigg-in-my-fair-lady-dispute.html)."

People are very quick to say a role isn’t difficult to sing, without taking into account all the other factors that go with it. This isn’t a concert of the show with no dialogue, choreography or costume changes-this is a role that goes from A-Z emotionally and the vocal demands of the flower girl portions of the show are high. You then take into account how much time the actor is doing nothing, when backstage or how much of that time is spent changing wigs and costumes, also the physical demands of the show - movement, choreography. It’s the same with ?Hello, Dolly!’ no the score isn’t the most challenging to sing that has ever been written but if you take all the above into account, it’s a marathon.

Whilst there are others who could sing the score with more ease, this isn’t the business of putting ?easy’ on the stage. This production and its director are more interested in dramatic, emotional thrills and raw storytelling over the sorts of safe choices one might associate with a revival of this piece - whether the role is easy to sing for one person in comparison to another, is irrelevant. They have chosen the Eliza they wanted to make this new production and they have chosen to give her a day off, doesn’t matter if some other actor would or wouldn’t need it, as they didn’t get the gig.

"

If you see my bolded  portion above , you can see that I did make an allowance for Ambrose given all of the reasons you explained in depth in the also bolded portion above.  I just feel that  Rigg has a point in that the vocal demands of a role played on Broadway should be met by the actor  playing them to the point it will not cause an actor  to  have to take a day off every week from the normal show schedule. To me, Eliza(and any role really)  is a role that should be handled  vocally by the actress playing her, whether that means vocal rest entirely (excluding vocal work done in preparation for  and in  the  of course of the show itself), resting one's voice completely or moderately during off periods,  building more stamina by exercising, cooling the voice down every day, etc. Obviously, she is a mother,  so being quiet all day may not be an option, but there are other options for her position then taking a day off every week from the standard schedule. 

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#79Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 6:12am

Sunny11 said: "DoesLauren Ambrose kick puppies or something? Why all the negativity towards her?"

I think it's because people feel she's a B-list star who got an incredibly iconic role in an incredibly iconic show which people were  VERY hungry to see again on Broadway without really paying her dues as a musical theatre performer on Broadway, especially compared to actresses who have been working on Broadway in musicals for 20 years or so who expressed a high level of interest in playing the part. Laura Benanti is the one that fits this example the most, although Kelli does fit this example up to a point, the latter because she recognized  in recent years that she probably would not be playing Eliza on Broadway. 

I have to say I disliked her on the Tony Awards, but  I'm listening to the album right now(Just You Wait) and Ambrose is in terrific voice, although I have to ask: were some of Eliza's songs  deliberately slowed down?  I just remember them being faster when sung by O'Hara and Andrews. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#80Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 6:29am

good riddance to the Dame, what she said about Lauren Ambrose was so tacky and tactless I’m sure her leaving the show will be a weight off her costars shoulders. someone should have a little class

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Loopin’theloop
#81Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 6:37am

Soaring29 said: "Loopin’theloop said: "Soaring29 said: "Rigg has a point about Ambrose's decision, although it isn't totally off the wall to me- vocal health is important after all and what Ambrose is doing does not seem unprofessional. That said, Eliza Doolittle is not an incredibly difficult role to sing and although obviously the whole role is a daunting, demanding challenge to do 8 times a week , this is BROADWAY, where everyone is expected to meet those demands. Mary Beth Peilsums it up perfectly here:“As a 78 year old, I’m expected to do eight shows a week at the same kind of routine as the 25-year-olds in my show,”(https://www.vulture.com/2018/07/mary-beth-peil-sides-with-diana-rigg-in-my-fair-lady-dispute.html)."

People are very quick to say a role isn’t difficult to sing, without taking into account all the other factors that go with it. This isn’t a concert of the show with no dialogue, choreography or costume changes-this is a role that goes from A-Z emotionally and the vocal demands of the flower girl portions of the show are high. You then take into account how much time the actor is doing nothing, when backstage or how much of that time is spent changing wigs and costumes, also the physical demands of the show - movement, choreography. It’s the same with ?Hello, Dolly!’ no the score isn’t the most challenging to sing that has ever been written but if you take all the above into account, it’s a marathon.

Whilst there are others who could sing the score with more ease, this isn’t the business of putting ?easy’ on the stage. This production and its director are more interested in dramatic, emotional thrills and raw storytelling over the sorts of safe choices one might associate with a revival of this piece - whether the role is easy to sing for one person in comparison to another, is irrelevant. They have chosen the Eliza they wanted to make this new production and they have chosen to give her a day off, doesn’t matter if some other actor would or wouldn’t need it, as they didn’t get the gig.

"

If you see my boldedportion above , you can see that I did make an allowance for Ambrose given all of the reasons you explained in depth in the also bolded portion above. I just feel that Rigg has a point in that the vocal demands of a role played on Broadway should be met by the actorplaying them to the point it will not cause an actorto have to take a day off every week from the normal show schedule. To me, Eliza(and any role really) is a role that should be handledvocally by the actress playing her, whether that means vocal rest entirely (excluding vocal work done in preparation forand intheof course of the show itself), resting one's voice completely or moderately during off periods,building more stamina by exercising, cooling the voice down every day, etc. Obviously, she is a mother,so being quiet all day may not be an option, but there are other options for her position then taking a day off every week from the standard schedule.
"

Apologies, I hadn’t intended to quote your message as I had indeed read the bold portions Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady I was just following on what you had said 

Bibby87 Profile Photo
Bibby87
#82Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 8:12am

I think Diana Rigg is just being a shady queen who wants out of the show.  #ByeFelicia

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#83Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 8:37am

Dame Diana has earned the right to express her high standards.

A few years ago an entirely inadequate actress was cast as Eliza in London, missed a huge amount of performances and was highly disrespectful to other very capable cast members.  Basically she took on a role she wasn't able to sustain.  Plenty of prominent actors called her out for this.  She now sells yoghurt on TV.

If Ms Ambrose has taken on a job she cannot do fully, why shouldn't Dame Diana say so.

Ultimately, her public statements have only shown that she is unwilling to say one thing in private and another in public.  She is no hypocrite.

I admire her more than ever.

JBC3
#84Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 8:45am

devonian.t said: "Dame Diana has earned the right to express her high standards.

A few years ago an entirely inadequate actress was cast as Eliza in London, missed a huge amount of performancesand was highly disrespectful to other very capable cast members. Basically she took on a role she wasn't able to sustain. Plenty of prominent actors called her out for this. She now sells yoghurt on TV.

If Ms Ambrose has taken on a job she cannot do fully, why shouldn't Dame Diana say so.

Ultimately, her public statements have only shown that she is unwilling to say one thing in private and another in public. She is no hypocrite.

"

Why shouldn't Dame Diana say so?

Because it is tacky, unprofessional, and an issue best left to the producers and director.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#85Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 8:48am

devonian.t said: "Dame Diana has earned the right to express her high standards.

A few years ago an entirely inadequate actress was cast as Eliza in London, missed a huge amount of performancesand was highly disrespectful to other very capable cast members. Basically she took on a role she wasn't able to sustain. Plenty of prominent actors called her out for this. She now sells yoghurt on TV.

Ultimately, her public statements have only shown that she is unwilling to say one thing in private and another in public. She is no hypocrite.

"

Was that Martine McCutcheon? Because I remember her missing a ton of performances in that revival. I had no idea she now sold yogurt, though. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#86Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 9:46am

It may have been better to have Ambrose stay with the 8 performance a week schedule while missing a bunch of performances without notice that seems to be more the norm among favored Broadway performers. I think people are just latching on to Ambrose taking one performance off a week because it presents an opportunity to talk about how a "B-list celebrity" took a role from a more deserving performer...yet again. It's funny how that works. People are guilty of exhibiting attitudes that they say they dislike. People go on about big named celebrities doing theatre work and can't wait to say they can't handle the schedule or not up to snuff, but are now super offended that a bigger star didn't take the role of Eliza Doolittle. This is like another version of the same sort of attitude producers have when they fund productions as star vehicles for movie actors that they claim to dislike so much.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#87Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 9:59am

I don't see anyone here suggesting that a "bigger star" should've played Eliza Dolittle. I only see people saying that it's hard to believe that she was the best choice for the role when there's a massive pool of trained musical actresses both known and unknown to play the part from both NYC and London who could actually do the part 8 times a week. I've heard that the young woman playing Eliza on Sundays is really phenomenal, but is a total unknown. I don't understand why she wasn't given the part. Honestly, this could've been a great opportunity for a new, young actress. It seems to me that any criticism towards Ambrose's performance is brushed off as bitterness that Benanti didn't the role. While I would've loved to have seen Benanti play this part and she seems the obvious choice (maybe too obvious and that's why Sher chose to look elsewhere), that's not really the case for why I didn't enjoy this production. I just saw it as a missed opportunity to a cast a really great Eliza Dolittle.

Also, I understand what Rigg is saying, but I also think it's kind of rude and disrespectful. That being said, it was in a private email that got leaked. I commend her for at least speaking up about it and clarifying instead of pretending like it didn't happen. Still it doesn't create a healthy work environment.

Dolly80
#88Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 10:13am

The great shame is that when McCutcheon was on, she was sensational and gave the show a real relevance. Sadly she was off more than she was on.

Those casting these people need to shoulder the blame.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#89Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 10:22am

Everyone's acting like Ambrose has huge attendance issues. She doesn't. I think she missed four shows in May because she was sick and hasn't missed any other shows. MFL isn't that much of a sell-out that people can't exchange tickets if they want to see her. Bart Sher was smart in that he cast an understudy (Kerstin Anderson) who had already done a national tour of The Sound of Music and therefore could carry an iconic soprano part. 

As for the Laura Benanti thing, has she ever had a run where she had good attendance? This isn't a knock on her. I love her. But she;s open about the fact that she has had a number of health issues that have caused her to miss shows. 

R. GreenFinch Profile Photo
R. GreenFinch
#90Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 10:28am

I enjoyed Ambrose, and I enjoyed Rigg. 

Personally, I applaud Ambrose for taking the initative to take care of herself. We should be talking about our health more, and I think Rigg's initial response showed that she's from a different time when performers were expected to power through and hurt themselves. 

I know this is Broadway, and many performers do 8 performances a week without issues. I just don't undertand why we can support other performers who consider their health, and complain in this instance. 

(I do consider the argument about ticket sales prior to the announcement, though as an audience member, *I* personally would understand. I don't pretend to speak for everyone, though!) 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#91Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 11:15am

poisonivy2 said: "Everyone's acting like Ambrose has huge attendance issues. She doesn't. I think she missed four shows in May because she was sick and hasn't missed any other shows. MFL isn't that much of a sell-out that people can't exchange tickets if they want to see her. Bart Sher was smart in that he cast an understudy (Kerstin Anderson) who had already done a national tour of The Sound of Music and therefore could carry an iconic soprano part.

As for the Laura Benanti thing, has she ever had a run where she had good attendance? This isn't a knock on her. I love her. But she;s open about the fact that she has had a number of health issues that have caused her to miss shows.
"

Gypsy, for one. Though some of that may have been the result of being around Patti, who said in an interview at the time that she “spoke with” Benanti about her attendance. 

I think she had good attendance in She Loves Me as well. 

Playbill_Trash
#92Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 11:43am

poisonivy2 said: Here's a pretty good account of the fighting over money that eventually led to tensions with LMM as well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-hamilton-broadway-profit/

But you know what? By that time the OBC cast had made the producers rich men, and they had devoted a big chunk of their lives to the show. And they didn't run to Mr. Riedel blabbing all the details of the tense money disputes. And they were 100% right. They had been a huge part of the show's success and they did deserve a bigger slice of the pie.

The Hamilton OBC (other than Lin Manuel Miranda) absolutely did not and does not deserve any slice of the pie bigger than what their salary was when they signed their contract. Those actors did not create, write, compose, inspire, direct, or choreograph the show. That's why LMM, Ron Chernow, Thomas Kail, Andy Blankenbueler, and Alex Lacamoire have their jobs and deserve their credit. But the rest of the actors do not. They are performers and their job is to do what the creative team tells them to do. I don't care if they were there since the workshop, they are not creators, they are not billed above the title. 

The deal that was settled for them was ridiculous, none of them added anything to the production that any other actor could have - and any other actor could have done their job as we now see since they have all left and no production is hurting. None of them were stars. This was not a Chorus Line situation. None of those actors inspired the story or the work on stage. All that credit should have gone to LMM and the rest of the creative team. They are now getting money for work that they did not do. If they want credit for material made for the stage, then they can go out and do the work themselves and become a director, writer, or choreographer on another production. But I'm sorry, they should have understood this when they chose performing as a profession. They are absolutely not entitled to any royalties for that production at all.

A completely different cast in that show would not have changed the impact that it made. It was the material. Ask any other OBC. They all devote their lives to the show they're in. They were nothing special.

ActorGuyIL
#93Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 12:03pm

Mary Beth Peil.

sassylash3s
#94Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 12:05pm

adamgreer said: "poisonivy2 said: "Everyone's acting like Ambrose has huge attendance issues. She doesn't. I think she missed four shows in May because she was sick and hasn't missed any other shows. MFL isn't that much of a sell-out that people can't exchange tickets if they want to see her. Bart Sher was smart in that he cast an understudy (Kerstin Anderson) who had already done a national tour of The Sound of Music and therefore could carry an iconic soprano part.

"

Gypsy, for one. Though some of that may have been the result of being around Patti, who said in an interview at the time that she “spoke with” Benanti about her attendance.

I think she had good attendance in She Loves Me as well.
"

Laura Benanti missed a number of performances in She Loves Me.  I believe by the end of her run she was only playing 6 shows a week, with Laura Shoop doing the matinees.  I don't think it was announced at the time, but one assumes that this was because of her pregnancy.

trpguyy
#95Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 3:59pm

Playbill_Trash said: "Those actors did not create, write, compose, inspire, direct, or choreograph the show. That's why LMM, Ron Chernow, Thomas Kail, Andy Blankenbueler, and Alex Lacamoire have their jobs and deserve their credit. But the rest of the actors do not. They are performers and their job is to do what the creative team tells them to do. I don't care if they were there since the workshop, they are not creators, they are not billed above the title."

You've clearly never worked with Andy before, and especially not on Hamilton. Those dancers created the choreography, and that's a damn fact. 

"They are absolutely not entitled to any royalties for that production at all."

The producers disagree.

Updated On: 7/19/18 at 03:59 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#96Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 4:01pm

We’re really getting away from the fact that Angela Lansbury needs to be in this.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#97Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 4:08pm

Lansbury would be a large, tough, interesting Mrs. Higgins. But I tend to doubt that she would come in as a replacement for such a small role.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#98Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 4:13pm

newintown said: "But I tend to doubt that she would come in as a replacement for such a small role."

When Lansbury's return to Broadway in The Chalk Garden got nixed a few years ago, she said the rigors of leading a play for seven or eight performance week were “a bit too much for me to handle at this time." She also said she's "feeling fine" and her "health is very good."

Mrs. Higgins would be the perfect role for her then. It is literally seven or eight minutes of stage time in a role she can make a major impact in. We will almost certainly never see her in a leading stage performance again, so I think this role, as small as it is, would fit her like a glove.

I would love it to happen.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#99Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 4:14pm

Glenda Jackson if the price is right?