pixeltracker

Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady- Page 5

Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#100Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 4:23pm

I don't know why we're thinking of actresses who are so much older than Henry Higgins. They look more like his grandmother (Dowager) than his mother. Glenda Jackson would be interesting nonetheless. She could play such an intimidating and browbeating Mrs. Higgins that we, as an audience, will get an unintentional insight into Henry's upbringing that makes him such an unsocial person that he is.

KFC1991
#101Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 4:24pm

I'd love to see Lansbury do it, but part of the reason that Chalk Garden was nixed is she doesn't want to be away from home for months. She said it's very lonely, and she doesn't want to deal with the new York Winters. The latter wouldn't be an issue right now, of course, but I get the impression it's not the length of the role that concerns her, but just the challenges of the Broadway lifestyle.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#102Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 9:31pm

Owen22 said: "JBroadway said: "Maybe something to do with this Tweet from Sher

https://twitter.com/bartlett_sher/status/1015295853328719872

What <<edited by BWW staff>> hypocrisy right there!

"

"

Except it has every sign of being a fake account probably run by a Sher wannabe or someone who just wants to stir things up.

Updated On: 7/19/18 at 09:31 PM

UncleCharlie
#103Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/19/18 at 10:28pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Owen22 said: "JBroadway said: "Maybe something to do with this Tweet from Sher

https://twitter.com/bartlett_sher/status/1015295853328719872

What <> hypocrisy right there!

Except it has every sign of being a fake account probably run by a Sher wannabe or someone who just wants to stir things up.
"

Every sign of being a fake account? Seriously? It's mostly retweets about politics or when someone has said something nice about him or one of his productions. When he does originate a tweet, it's normally a few words or 1 or 2 short sentences, usually pretty innocuous stuff, and he's followed by Playbill, The Tony Awards and multiple respected theater critics. That's every sign it's NOT a fake account.

Updated On: 7/19/18 at 10:28 PM

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#104Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:49am

They are not going to pay for someone as big as Lansbury. I am sure the decision will be somewhat clever however.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#105Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/20/18 at 10:15am

As soon as she went public with Reidel, I saw it coming that she would soon be leaving the show for “personal” reasons. I’m sure if any of us criticized our younger co-workers or workplace in a national publication we would not be treated as delicately as this although it’s understandable and even commendable that the MFL producers were so tactful about this (something Ms. Rigg could learn from, but won’t).

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#106Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/20/18 at 12:51pm

I didn't even know about this but now that I do I'm not shocked that Diana Rigg didn't gel with this production that well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10037212/Dame-Diana-Rigg-is-still-fanning-the-flames-of-feminist-derision.html

She's an ardent anti-feminist (although maybe not as extreme as, say, Phyllis Schlafly). And this production definitely takes a somewhat feminist lens to the musical.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#107Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/20/18 at 1:52pm

I'm seeing the matinee tomorrow, and I admit all this fuss is making me even more excited than I already was.

Rainah
#108Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/20/18 at 3:43pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "poisonivy2 said: "Leslie Odom Jr. And Javier Munoz have made no bones about the fact that there was a fierce money dispute."

That was between the cast and management though, no? Not between co-stars...
"

I don't think it would be fair to say anyone disliked each other. It was a big cast. Some got on better than others. Part of the cast had been friends for years before the show.

There was definitely the impression that Lin and Leslie were never close. That they respected each other's work and contributions to the show but just didn't jive well personally.

Javier and Sydney Harcourt also had an issue over Sydney's choice to use the F-slur (Sydney saying it was his right as a gay man to reclaim it, Javier saying he does not appreciate it and it makes him uncomfortable to hear it - both valid points) 

And, as noted, the money issue that was eventually resolved. 

But also, conflict is easier to put aside when you're all nominated for tony awards in an obscenely successful show. Certainly helps. 

Many of the cast still visit one another, hang out, collaborate, or come to see each other's shows and support them. Not everyone on the show has to be best friends, and they all handled everything pretty classily. 

Updated On: 7/20/18 at 03:43 PM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#109Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/20/18 at 3:49pm

Interesting that this season we had two grand dames of English stage being directed by two of the most acclaimed American directors - and by reports, there were difficulties in each.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#110Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/20/18 at 4:04pm

I don't think there was a real conflict between Mantello and Jackson. I just get the impression that she's an actress that pushes back and there's nothing wrong with that. When you're a director working with a legendary older actress like that, I'm sure you're prepared to listen and collaborate because they probably know what they're talking about.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#111Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady
Posted: 7/20/18 at 7:21pm

dmwnc1959 said: "So glad I’ll get to see her before she leaves. I’m attending the August 18th evening show, and will treasure every moment of it! My credit card will suffer dearly at the souvenir stands. Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady"

As I recall there wasn’t much in the way of merchandise. I bought the program and a magnet and there was a mug and maybe a key chain? Maybe a shirt. Can’t recall. I assume this is a typical Sher/Lincoln Center practice because I do not recall much in the line of merchandise at The King and I either. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#113Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady; Rosemary Harris to Take Over
Posted: 8/2/18 at 12:26pm

Miles2Go2 said: "dmwnc1959 said: "So glad I’ll get to see her before she leaves. I’m attending the August 18th evening show, and will treasure every moment of it! My credit card will suffer dearly at the souvenir stands. Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady; Rosemary Harris to Take Over"

As I recall there wasn’tmuch in the way of merchandise. I bought the program and a magnetand there was a mug and maybe a key chain? Maybe a shirt. Can’t recall. I assume this is a typical Sher/Lincoln Center practice because I do not recall much in the line of merchandise at The King and I either.
"

There were at least 3 different t-shirts, I think there were 4 but I just don't remember what the 4th one was.

Baldwin 2
#114Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady; Rosemary Harris to Take Over
Posted: 8/2/18 at 1:23pm

Except that the cast of Chrous Line isn’t the only cast in history to share in royalty participation. The original casts of Dreamgirls, Book of Mormon— and even more recently, Dear Even Hansen all share in the financial success of those shows in some small way. You believe all of the oringinal company members of those productions are undeserving or *just the cast of Hamilton?

AEA AGMA SM
#115Diana Rigg Leaving My Fair Lady; Rosemary Harris to Take Over
Posted: 8/2/18 at 1:35pm

Eliza2 said: "There were at least 3 different t-shirts, I think there were 4 but I just don't remember what the 4th one was."

All of the merchandise they carry is listed on the Lincoln Center Theater website, shoplct.com. In addition to the show merchandise they do also have a few LCT branded items.