King Kong the Musical

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#50King Kong the Musical
Posted: 8/31/18 at 7:08pm

Apparently they are keeping the part from the old production where he fights that big ass, ugly python puppet. Has me slightly worried. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#51King Kong the Musical
Posted: 8/31/18 at 8:52pm

Warbucks2 said: "Robbie2 said: "When my friends ask me what is new and coming to Broadway and say King Kong the musical...they all laugh and say seriously?"

I've had the same reaction from my friends. However, then I show them a youtube clip of the puppet and they see its potential to be a Broadway spectacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGBGfR-qrZM

"

The thing that worries me is that they're using footage from the old production to promote this one. Maybe not much has changed? And I hate watching the people control his arms and legs, it ruins the magic for me.

Also, I was laughing when they were talking about being an "outsider" and how relatable this story is. Am I supposed to relate to this gorilla...?

Updated On: 8/31/18 at 08:52 PM

Elegance101
#52King Kong the Musical
Posted: 8/31/18 at 8:59pm

"...they voyage from the bustling streets of 1930s New York to an uncharted island to capture the world's greatest wonder."

"Contemporary take" just means it's a new thing separate from the movies and such. This quote makes me think it's taking place in the 1930s.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#53King Kong the Musical
Posted: 8/31/18 at 9:46pm

Elegance101 said: "Am I supposed to relate to this gorilla...?"

I relate to gorillas in general.  I'm willing to admit it.

Elegance101
#54King Kong the Musical
Posted: 8/31/18 at 9:50pm

Warbucks2 said: "Elegance101 said: "Am I supposed to relate to this gorilla...?"

I relate to gorillas in general. I'm willing to admit it.

"

See, normally I do as well! I just can't emotionally get there with this one. What a shame...

BroadwayBear2
#55King Kong the Musical
Posted: 8/31/18 at 9:55pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "Apparently they are keeping the part from the old production where he fights that big ass, ugly python puppet. Has me slightly worried."

A BIG ASS UGLY PYTHON PUPPET YOU SAY? I am more excited now than i have ever been for this production.

YvanEhtNioj
#56King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/7/18 at 10:02am

Did anyone see this teaser they posted yesterday? I can’t even lie, It’s pretty cheesy. You can also see the playbill design Which is basically just the promo poster.

https://www.facebook.com/KingKongBway/videos/1058373274324777/

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#57King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/11/18 at 10:00am

Oh, crap. I think I'm actually getting really excited to see this one now. That puppet is remarkable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/11/theater/king-kong-broadway-musical.html

Updated On: 9/11/18 at 10:00 AM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#58King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/11/18 at 10:43am

That puppet is absolutely miraculous. That is why I love theater. I just hope the show doesn't suck, because damn...that is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#59King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/11/18 at 11:01am

That's pretty amazing.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

YvanEhtNioj
#60King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/11/18 at 11:01am

Oh my damn.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#61King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/11/18 at 11:39am

At least if the show sucks, we get to look at the super cool puppet for 2 hours

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#63King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 12:41pm

Im super excited for this one.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#64King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 12:55pm

I know this has been updated , but Kong’s stage time in Melbourne was maybe less than an hour of a two hour thirty minute show. And one of the most famous scenes took place off stage. With the actors downstage center describing the action the audience can’t see

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#65King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 1:20pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/PhotoVideo-Inside-Look-at-Christiani-Pitts-in-KING-KONG-20180924

Getting increasingly impressed by how this show looks.
"

Am I missing something?  I don't see anything in the link you provided that gives us any more insight as to how this looks.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 9/24/18 at 01:20 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#66King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 1:35pm

King Kong the MusicalThis!? Still have no desire seeing Kong.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#67King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 1:46pm

This picture does nothing for me. Looks boring.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#68King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 1:56pm

Right....that's just a stage pix....with a dramatic light.    (And she doesn't come off well in it, IMO.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#69King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 2:11pm

dramamama611 said: "Right....that's just a stage pix....with a dramatic light. (And she doesn't come off well in it, IMO.)"

Yup does nothing. Next... maybe Moulin Rouge could end up at the Broadway next summer?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#70King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 2:12pm

Robbie2 said: "King Kong the MusicalThis!? Still have no desire seeing Kong."

This literally looks like they photoshopped King Kong into last week's promotional pictures of Jessica Vosk as Elphaba. Tell them how I'm defying gravity on top of Empire State building.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#71King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 2:29pm

It looks like a better lit but less dynamic version of the photo op they used to have at Madame Tussaud's on 42nd.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 9/24/18 at 02:29 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#72King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 2:34pm

I think the failure of that picture, is that it looks CGI-ed or photoshopped.  You loose the magic of the stagecraft and puppetry.  It doesn't sell the productions biggest asset.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#73King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 2:42pm

It is absolutely Photoshopped, on top of extremely posed. It removes any sense of place or scale in favor of dramatic lighting in a void. It also makes both the puppet and the actress look absolutely lifeless. There's no sense of movement, emotion, or personality from either.

The puppet is 100% the selling point here and this ain't exactly selling it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#74King Kong the Musical
Posted: 9/24/18 at 2:52pm

Actually, I don't think it is Photoshopped, save for the removal of a puppeteer's hand at the bottom of Kong's hand. Watch the video in the article; footage of the taking of this shot starts at about :22 in.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage