BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#50THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/4/18 at 10:26am

Got a rush ticket. Orchestra Row H, seat 14. Marked "partial view."

JSquared2
#51THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/4/18 at 10:38am

QueenAlice said: "I just have to comment that I laughed at the poster who said they couldn’t sit through a 100 minute play because they drank a bottle of wine at dinner and had a pre show cocktail.

I mean you do realize you don’t have to do that, right?

.And you do realize alcohol makes you have to take a whiz like nobody’s business, yes?.

Skip the booze - Have a glass of water an hour before the show and I promise you will survive the one hour first act on this one.
"

And if he's unwilling/unable to give up the booze for a few hours, hey, there's always Depends!

mPhila
#52THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/4/18 at 12:46pm

Hi all, first time ever posting on this site! Saw the show Tuesday for the first preview, and I already know it's going to to stick with me for a very long time. I can't add much more to what others have said. Remarkable cast, the flow of the entire production was exceptional, there is great, subtle humor at certain points...we just loved it. The kids were stunning as well (the accents were quite good!). We were particularly impressed by Matilda! Plus with the babies and animals- just amazing. We were in Orch F8 and 10. Perfect. The scenery design is remarkable.

And I, too, concur with other posters- definitely limit your beverage intake- those intermissions are FAST haha. The show itself definitely didn't feel long however!

Now here's a question that I'm not sure if it is allowed or not, but I've been very confused by the whole thing. Please forgive me if it's not up for discussion and I apologize in advance if it's inappropriate. I've been impressed with Audrey Bennett since Amélie and then saw her in Frozen as well. So I was confused to all of a sudden not see her in the company. Do things like that happen often in various shows? Sorry if this is a really sophomoric question- I just really don't know much about he behind-the-scenes aspects of large productions like this. I was a bit disappointed, but Willow was absolutely amazing. The show itself is stunning, I was just confused.

But overall thoughts- just go see it!! I have a hard time even formulating an eloquent review here, but it greatly surpassed my expectations. Outstanding performance, especially for a first preview. Very encouraging!

Again- if that question crosses the lines, please erase. I absolutely don't want to stir unnecessary conversation that takes away from the show itself. Just curiosity regarding that. Thanks all! To those seeing it soon or in a couple months- ENJOY!

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#53THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/4/18 at 12:50pm

Dang, I also saw her in Ameile. I wonder what happened?

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18
Updated On: 10/4/18 at 12:50 PM

mPhila
#54THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/4/18 at 1:04pm

Same, no idea. The show is still beyond exceptional, though it is still fun to look forward to seeing certain actors. Her social media was also kind of cleaned up a little mentioning the show. Very strange just because it seems to have occurred so recently.  Probably a private decision which I can absolutely respect, but it was just so weird scanning the company list multiple times after picking up my tickets. I just was curious if people on here knew anything as I saw no mention of it anywhere. 

Oh, and I did something very stupid as I walked in- took a photo of the stage, I didn't realize the part when you walk in is indeed part of the set as well. So I got loudly called out by an usher very quickly. I was just so excited I didn't really think about it. Very dumb, I was embarrassed. Oops

treblemakerz Profile Photo
treblemakerz
#55THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/4/18 at 2:31pm

Very pleasantly surprised by the responses on this thread. This was on my list of things to catch in the next few weeks, but I may just have to move it up in my priorities.

Alfie6
#56THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/4/18 at 3:08pm

This is as good as it gets, one of the BEST nights I've had in the theater hands down.  Laura Donnelly and Fionnula Flanagan gave some of the most A+++ performances I have seen in recent memory. If you want to see this get a ticket immediately! I cannot get over how excellent it was.

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#57THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 12:02am

Alright. I just got home. First of all, this is a great play with great direction and a phenomenal cast. My rush ticket was actually row E, seat 14 in the orchestra and it was VERY partial view. Just so you all know. I feel like I shouldn't say anything else. Just go in completely blind. Just imagine that Martin McDonagh and Edward Albee wrote a play together.

SPOILER ALERT (KIND OF):
I agree 100% however that the ending seems rushed and somewhat unearned. The play starts out as a great black comedy, but the third act drags a bit and the ending kind of dissolves into campy melodrama, but the audience ate it up, so what do I know? It's still a great play.

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#58THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 10:32am

BenElliott said: "Just imagine that Martin McDonagh and Edward Albee wrote a play together."

SPOILER ALERT: And don't forget John Steinbeck and Lennie and his rabbits. And Sean O'Casey and J.M. Synge and probably a bunch of others I missed. The play is pastiche but it's wittily conscious of itself. That's only a problem when all the parts are added up at the end and you begin to wonder what it's really about.

Updated On: 10/5/18 at 10:32 AM

Samedenkay
#59THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 12:16pm

Did they check ID for tdf? My grandpa got us the tickets, but may not want to go with us after he found out it was 3 hours...

BroadwayBear2
#60THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 12:46pm

Do they offer any  merchandise at the show? Magnets, windowcards?

ljh52
#61THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 1:20pm

Does anyone know the official rush policy / if it's posted anywhere? Can't seem to find.  Thanks!

kmissa
#62THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 2:04pm

Samedenkay said: "Did they check ID for tdf? My grandpa got us the tickets, but may not want to go with us after he found out it was 3 hours..."

They usually don't, I was only asked at Come From Away (My mom gets me tickets, same last name though), and I gave them my ID and they didn't question it. I never volunteer that information though, I just say i'm picking up tickets for _____.  Fingers crossed I'm not jinxing myself, lol.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#63THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 3:01pm

I was not asked for my ID when I picked up my ticket.

#64THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 11:14pm

I found this to be an EPIC BORE. A misfire in playwrighting by Butterworth. There is almost no real drama here, just people sitting around telling stories and TELLING US WHAT HAPPENED as opposed to showing us. Way too many characters that don’t mean anything for us to focus on. I thought the direction was lifeless and the sound/music used to manipulate the audience as opposed to support it. Even the set design was strange in a bad design kind of way. Honestly cannot believe this is the best in west end transfers. I know they substidize theater over there, but I cannot believe this even got commercial producers. Don’t waste your time or money on this.

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#65THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 11:41pm

Just back from The Ferryman and It was, as promised, tremendous. I’ve never seen a finer ensemble cast. Putting other thoughts aside for now, at this late hour (for me), I’m wondering if anyone can weigh in on this:

I was amazed and delighted by the baby, who didn’t cry or fuss once. Are they using twins? Are there several babies, or sets of babies, in any given week? The baby tonight looked to be about 8 months old and “played” his (or her) role as perfectly as the rest of them on stage. (First infant Tony Award?)

I remember being surprised at Waitress when they had a toddler on stage at the end. I’m trying to think of other shows that cast children that small or babies. It seems really rare, for obvious reasons. But it sure worked tonight.

mPhila
#66THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/5/18 at 11:46pm

Yes for merchandise. I bought a magnet ($10 per usual). They also had the books for 20 and I feel like I saw some glasses as well? Not sure about window cards. I asked if they would eventually have a souvenir program, and it was kind of a vague 'no' on that. But they don't have those for plays generally, I guess. I think there were t-shirts also. 
It was all in a booth in the back by the bar area.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I was so truly amazed by the baby also! Very short scenes of course, but just so calm and didn't even break the fourth wall at all haha- I was amazed.
I was also not checked for ID when I picked up the tickets. Only asked for my last name and then confirmed my first name.

Updated On: 10/5/18 at 11:46 PM

sppunk
#67THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/6/18 at 12:01am

They didn’t sell magnets when we saw this in London, but want one as we collect them for every show.

Can you go into a theater to purchase merch without a ticket? 

If not can someone pick one up for me? I’ll make it worth your while. 

mPhila
#68THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/6/18 at 1:10am

Fantastic you got to see it in London! I'm sure you could certainly ask the box office, but overall I kind of sensed it was a more strict environment since it is in previews. Once it officially opens I'd imagine it would most likely be for sale online in the Playbill Store. It's the standard size rectangle magnet with the key art. I'm a big magnet collector also!

ajh
#69THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/6/18 at 3:51am

I was a bit disappointed with this. I saw it at the Royal Court in London -with most of the Broadway cast and following universal rave reviews- and loved elements of it , the acting and the set mainly. I thought the script mined every Irish cliché imaginable, could have easily lost 45 minutes playing time, was far too much telling not showing, and the denouement just had me rolling my eyes...saw it coming a mile off.  I think the live animals and baby were just tricksy distractions. Some of the scenes are terrific but some of them felt like padding, as though Butterworth felt compelled to give us another epic à la the infinitely superior Jerusalem because the much shorter The River (which I also preferred) wasn’t that well received.

Given the adulation accorded elsewhere I decided to see it again when it transferred to the West End, to see if I was missing something, and I honestly found it a crashing bore on repeat viewing. Couldn’t wait to get out of the theatre. I think it’s the most over-praised play of its generation. I have no doubt it’ll pick up the Tony for Best Play however.

brian1973
#70THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/6/18 at 5:09am

You are firmly in the minority...

Updated On: 10/6/18 at 05:09 AM

ameliewormwood
#71THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/6/18 at 7:32am

mPhila said: "Hi all, first time ever posting on this site! Saw the show Tuesday for the first preview, and I already know it's going to to stick with me for a very long time. I can't add much more to what others have said. Remarkable cast, the flow of the entire production was exceptional, there is great, subtlehumor at certain points...we just loved it. The kids were stunning as well (the accents were quite good!). We were particularly impressed by Matilda! Plus with the babies and animals- just amazing. We were in Orch F8 and 10. Perfect. The scenery design is remarkable.

And I, too, concur with other posters- definitely limit your beverage intake- those intermissions are FAST haha. The show itself definitely didn't feel long however!

Now here's a question that I'm not sure if it is allowed or not, but I've been very confused by the whole thing. Please forgive me if it's not up for discussion and I apologize in advance if it's inappropriate. I've beenimpressed with Audrey Bennett since Amélie and then saw her in Frozen as well. So I wasconfusedto all of a sudden not see her in the company. Do things like that happen often in various shows? Sorry if this is a really sophomoric question- I just really don't know much about he behind-the-scenes aspects of large productions like this. I was a bit disappointed, but Willow was absolutely amazing. The show itself is stunning, I was just confused.

But overall thoughts- just go see it!! I have a hard time even formulating an eloquent review here, but it greatly surpassed my expectations. Outstanding performance, especially for a first preview. Very encouraging!

Again- if that question crosses the lines, please erase.I absolutely don't want to stir unnecessary conversation that takes away from the show itself. Just curiosity regarding that. Thanks all! To those seeing it soon or in a couple months- ENJOY!
"

Hi. I'm a friend of the Bennett family. Everything is okay with Audrey and her family, but she is no longer with The Ferryman. It's fairly common, especially with child casts. 

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#72THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/6/18 at 7:56am

I too was curious about the baby. I kept thinking -- "Is it real or an amazing prop"

Enjoyed the show. My TDF was row C of the Mezz -- great view but the leg room...and I'm only 5'7"

I great ensemble cast.

mPhila
#73THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/6/18 at 10:38am

ameliewormwood said: "Hi. I'm a friend of the Bennett family. Everything is okay with Audrey and her family, but she is no longer with The Ferryman. It's fairly common, especially with child casts."

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply. Glad to hear all is well. 

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#74THE FERRYMAN Previews
Posted: 10/6/18 at 11:08am

sppunk said: "They didn’t sell magnets when we saw this in London, but want one as we collect them for every show.

Can you go into a theater topurchase merch without a ticket?

If not can someone pick one up for me? I’ll make it worth your while.
"

I collect magnets, also, and will be at this show next Saturday.  If you can't get into the lobby at intermission or after a show lets out to get one, let me know and I can pick one up for you.