pixeltracker

2018 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade- Who gets to perform? - Page 3

2018 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade- Who gets to perform?

leftyloveshuskies
#50Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:25am

No matter what people feel about who and what is performing,  I give everyone credit for performing in 19 degree weather in costume.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#51Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:35am

Agreed. Watching CBS right now. So just the pre-filmed performances right now. DEH performance of “You Will Be Found” still got me misty.

King Kong’s performance actually took some of the mystery of the puppet away so I’m less inclined to see it next time I’m in NYC. it’s kind of the opposite to the Spongebob effect. Their performance last year at the parade actually was the first time I chunk of my wall of resistance was removed. I ultimately ended up seeing and really liking it in June.

But once again, agreed. Kudos to anyone performing in the cold. And I’ll take any Macy’s Day Thanksgiving Parade broadway performance (even if not from my desired shows) over none.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#52Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:39am

Was that the first lesbian kiss to appear on the parade? I thought The Prom did well, but the song itself didn't do much for me except that the message was great. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#53Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:48am

Ah man, I’m in Oklahoma and NBC’s coverage here doesn’t start for another almost 12 minutes, which is when I need to start getting ready for Thanksgiving lunch at my mom’s assisted living center. I have both CBS and NBC DVR’d though.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#54Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:50am

HORRIBLE selection from Mean Girls.

Trish2
#55Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:52am

Twenty minutes into the parade and we already have Luca Padovan singing his heart out to “Don’t Rain on My Parade” and the cast of “The Prom” featuring same sex teen couples dancing together, singing and kissing! Love it!

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#56Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:53am

I can't imagine the prom selling a lot of tickets after that performance. Looked horrid.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#57Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:58am

Having seen all the performances:

My Fair Lady: Benanti was absolutely fantastic, and the use of the ensemble was great. The song just seemed a little bland for me for the parade. I would’ve liked a medley maybe with a showstopper, like “Get Me To The Church On Time” or the “Ascot Gavotte”.

The Prom: Certainly a cute and rousing number, and I do still want to see this. Not sure how many tickets this will sell, but major points for the lesbian kiss and visibility on television.

Summer: This was always a show that played better to me in small television segments than in the theatre. Whenever I watched it on TV, it was somehow more electric than the chaotic mess the show actually is. Also, Ariana DeBose deserves a long career on Broadway doing whatever the fork she wants.

Mean Girls: Probably the one I liked the least. I still want to see it, but each television performance I see looks so boring and uninspired that it chips away at that urge to see it. This was not a good number at all, and the actors look SO much older than high schoolers when a camera is up in their face.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#58Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 9:58am

I have to admit, the new commercial they're running for King Kong is great. I think it will sell some tickets.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#59Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:01am

LOVED the opening. I thought The Prom did just fine. Some heads probably exploded after tbe kiss! I actually threw a thumbs up at my tv!

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/22/18 at 10:01 AM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#60Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:15am

I missed maybe the first 30 seconds of the NBC broadcast (I have it DVR’d). Did they announce how that young boy was selected to sing “Don’t Rain on My Parade?” It was a great opening.

Just watched Benanti. It was Loverly. It almost makes me want to give the revival another chance.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#61Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:17am

Have seen the MFL revival but not with Benanti.  Is that the accent she does for "Wouldn't It Be Loverly"?  Sounds too proper.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#62Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:19am

They just mentioned his name after the number was over.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#63Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:23am

I know lots of people on here hate MEAN GIRLS, but even I (a big fan) have to admit they continue to choose horrible songs to perform on TV.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#64Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:26am

I actually really enjoyed The Prom performance. Sort of like Spongebob last year, I can feel my walls of defenses against this show breaking down.

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#65Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:29am

It's not like Mean Girls has any true showstopping numbers they could actually pull off though, because well, it's not like it has a good score to begin with haha. Revenge Party could've been fun if they wouldn't have had to worry about child-proofing it.

Fearless wasn't super ideal but I definitely thought it was a huge step up from their Tony performance.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#66Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:32am

Summer was fun, but still feel no need to see the show.

MauraLovesMusicals
#67Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:35am

i love mean girls but, OH MY GOD, is fearless the worst song in the entire show. they should have done i see stars, each character gets a moment and it’s a big ensemble number. instead they did the song that bores me the most. ugh. 

the prom was cute but a little meh in my opinion. they should have done the acceptance song, i know they probably did it for the kiss, but the acceptance song sends across the message much clearer and in a more upbeat way. 

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#68Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:38am

If you’ve only seen the movie and you don’t know anything about the musical, “Fearless” makes no sense at all. There was no setup letting us know that this number took place right after the famous “you can’t sit with us” moment. That’s why I think it was the wrong choice; especially for something like this, they need to play into the movie moments. I don’t really know how, but if I hadn’t already seen the show, I would’ve been lost and found that to be laughably bad.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#69Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:39am

Miles2Go2 said: "Summer was fun, but still feel no need to see the show. "

For some reason that performance made me want to see it if I have the chance. Up until now I have not had a real desire to see it as i don't care for jukebox musicals.

persephone88
#70Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:41am

Not a Bway tune, but whoever Was in charge of Rita Ora's earpiece on NBC just got fired. Her lip syncing was sooooo off...

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#71Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:42am

My mother watching King Kong: “do I have to watch this whole thing?”

MauraLovesMusicals
#72Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:43am

that was the first thing my sister noticed. it was almost as bad as the rockettes kick line being ruined by an unsuspecting cameraman a few years ago! 

mailhandler777
#73Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:56am

persephone88 said: "Not a Bway tune, but whoever Was in charge of Rita Ora's earpiece on NBC just got fired. Her lip syncing was sooooo off..."

Same person responsible for Pentatonix. That beginning was terrible. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#74Macys parade
Posted: 11/22/18 at 10:59am

The Prom was adorable. A little heavy on the synth, sure, but it looks like so much fun. Also, props for the representation and sending middle America into a raging Twitter spiral.

My Fair Lady did great! Laura looks like she’s having the time of her life; the ensemble work in the show really does stand out.

Fearless is just such a boring song; the cast is doing their best but I zoned out constantly. A step above their Tony performance so that’s...nice?