Revamped "Evita" in Sydney

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/15/18 at 10:32pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/BWW-TV-See-Whats-New-With-Hal-Princes-Revamped-EVITA-in-Sydney-Starring-Tina-Arena-20181015   I'm (very) vaguely familiar with Tina Arena.   I have ambivalent feelings about this performance in this video.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/16/18 at 7:38am

Tina is an a legend in Australia , there really is no else ( apart from Caroline O’Connor ) who could sing this as well as her. ( Search for the bootleg she sounds amazing )

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#3Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/16/18 at 8:10am

Why is the tempo so slow? I also didn't care for the video performance. It was very underwhelming, both her voice and her acting.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/16/18 at 8:45am

Wasn't crazy about the slower tempo.

Just give the world Love.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/16/18 at 10:35am

If they directed the actors to “bring down” the theatrics for the video, this was a colossal idea. This video has no life. It’s so flat and unexciting. EVITA can be delivered hard and explosive without worrying about being “too much” for any promo footage.  EVITA lends itself to that which is how all clips and performances have always been done this way on television.  All footage shown on TV of LuPone in the original Broadway production featured her performing full-our; never watered-down.  People expect EVITA this way.  

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#6Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/16/18 at 12:18pm

Her vocal "reach" in the first clip sounds strained and the entire thing feels like it's in slow motion.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

BroadwayBen
#7Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/16/18 at 7:30pm

This looks like a high school production. 

jimmycurry01
#8Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/17/18 at 10:34am

I was very underwhelmed by Tina's performance here. Based on this clip alone, I would hope that she isn't really the best Australia has to offer for the role. That said, it could be that this particular performance in this particular clip is lackluster, and she really delivers a thrilling performance when seen live.

thommg Profile Photo
thommg
#9Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/17/18 at 2:25pm

I am a huge Tina Arena fan. I don't think this video shows her off very well. It looks more like a first run though on the set to me. She keeps looking down to check her marks, and the tempo is slower than usual. I wonder when this was recorded and why it is being used to highlight the show (it doesn't). 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/17/18 at 3:40pm

10-15 years ago, Tina would likely have been an exciting Eva (I love her recording of Live for the One I Love from Notre Dame de Paris), but I really think they need someone younger for the part.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#11Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/17/18 at 7:22pm

I agree with Mister Matt, to be quite honest.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

teh_pretty Profile Photo
teh_pretty
#12Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/17/18 at 9:11pm

Honest question -- what is "revamped" about this production?

Mister Matt
#13Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/18/18 at 3:19pm

It's revamped because it's the original staging and not the boring revival staging based on the somewhat boring film adaptation, but it includes the boring "You Must Love Me" from the somewhat boring film adaptation because you can't produce Evita anymore without adding something boring to it.  Apparently, they needed to make it just a bit more boring by slowing down the tempo for Buenos Aires.

Bring back Kathy Voytko and the 2004 tour.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#14Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/18/18 at 3:54pm

The tempos for the original London production of EVITA were really slow.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#15Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/18/18 at 3:58pm

this just looks kinda... sad and tired. 

Broadway World's Fireman.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#16Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/18/18 at 4:01pm

The original production of Evita was never particularly aesthetically pleasing. This brings back those memories.

Mister Matt
#17Revamped "Evita" in Sydney
Posted: 10/18/18 at 4:33pm

I loved the original staging and choreography!  It was like watching a cinematic montage that eschewed any forced romanticism or sentimentality that may come with too much realism in its staging and design.  I thought it was a perfect fit for the score.  Scenes like Good Night and Thank You, I'd Be Surprisingly Good for You, Peron's Latest Flame, The Actress Hasn't Learned the Lines You'd Like to Hear and of course, the iconic Don't Cry for Me Argentina were unforgettable.  It was unconventional, but I found it a visual feast.

Videos