pixeltracker

What is the Deal with Today's Stagedoor Culture? - Page 2

What is the Deal with Today's Stagedoor Culture?

carnzee
#25Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:15pm

There have been so many threads on this same subject; I don't mind the multiple threads because I'm genuinely interested in what made stagedoor culture decline.

Every thread seems to agree: social media is the bad guy.

Lovely stagedoor experiences can still be had. It was nice chatting with a small group after A Dollshouse II. Laurie and the others came out and signed, briefly chatted with the group of a dozen fans, and left. But this experience isn't possible at shows that attract teens and/or stargazers.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#26Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:17pm

Bwayfan292 said: "I also think a problem is that the younger crowd, even people my age (19), think that these broadway stars are not celebrity's. So what they are doing is okay.

Another thing thats annoying, is people EXPECT you to stage door, if you don't theres backlash. People EXPECT you to take a dozen pictures and sign dozens of things. Theres no more sympathy with the younger crowd anymore. They don’t care if you just gave the performance of a life time. If you don’t come out and give them an instagram picture. Threads are created asking what’s wrong, they are labeled rude to their fans.
"

Riffing on this:

It's also because nothing is a valid experience anymore unless it can be paraded around on social media.  Seeing a show is only 1/3rd of the enjoyment for a lot of younger people.  The other 2/3rds of the enjoyment comes from being able to post about it on facebook, put stage door pictures on instagram, and generally do the one thing social media does best:  make others think your life is much more magical/exciting than it really is.

Nothing is valid anymore unless it can be showboated on social media so everyone in any circle of your life can see what you did and give you validation for it.  I even find myself having to stop and take a moment when i see shows to remind myself that I'm there to experience the show.... not there to form the review I'm going to write about it on Facebook.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#27Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:22pm

HogansHero said: "As I have said many times before, stage dooring is an odious, loathsome, gross, selfish, and pathetic practice. Anyone who does it needs to think about what they are doing. If you go to dinner and wait outside for the waiter, you are stalking. When you stage door, it is the same. And let us not hear people say that the actors enjoy it. They are actors; of course the act like they do. They don't. How much would you enjoy it if you had to stay after work day after day to do something you are not getting paid to do? All of this said, I agree that it has gotten out of control due to social media and the bullying of actors that results."

I don't disagree that it's out of control. However this was a bi harsh. Waiting for your waiter after dinner is just not at all the same as seeing an inspiring performer and thanking them for their performance when that is the one chance you may ever get to see them. Stage doiring has indeed become a bit too "mainstream", however your comparisons I don't believe are fair and it's not fair for you to question other people's lives and tell them to re think themselves. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#28Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:23pm

Looks like I missed a lot, with that other thread that got deleted. But I will say that anyone who cares to find details on the daily habits and private life of a Broadway performer, definitely does not deserve to get an autograph and selfie with said performer. Especially when that performer is as gracious and giving as Christy Altomare.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#29Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:26pm

I don't remember the exact details of the deleted thread, but the user was recounting, in detail, Christy's stagedoor attendance for the last five weeks and was demanding to know (in multiple posts) why she consistently does not come out after Sunday shows. As if that's a normal person question to ask. 

BroadwayRox3588
#30Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:26pm

Mike Barrett said: "HogansHero said: "As I have said many times before, stage dooring is an odious, loathsome, gross, selfish, and pathetic practice. Anyone who does it needs to think about what they are doing. If you go to dinner and wait outside for the waiter, you are stalking. When you stage door, it is the same. And let us not hear people say that the actors enjoy it. They are actors; of course the act like they do. They don't. How much would you enjoy it if you had to stay after work day after day to do something you are not getting paid to do? All of this said, I agree that it has gotten out of control due to social media and the bullying of actors that results."

I don't disagree that it's out of control. However this was a bi harsh. Waiting for your waiter after dinner is just not at all the same as seeing an inspiring performer and thanking them for their performance when that is the one chance you may ever get to see them. Stage doiring has indeed become a bit too "mainstream", however your comparisons I don't believe are fair and it's not fair for you to question other people's lives and tell them to re think themselves.
"

^ Louder, for the people in the back.

BroadwayRox3588
#31Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:28pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I don't remember the exact details of the deleted thread, but the user was recounting, in detail, Christy's stagedoorattendance for the last five weeks and was demanding to know (in multiple posts) why she consistently does not come out after Sunday shows. As if that's a normal person question to ask."

Shouldn't that person be in school? I know that when I was in middle school, I didn't get off for Veterans' Day.

Brian07663NJ
#32Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:30pm

I am now 46 and have been attending Broadway shows for the past 30 plus years. My parents would take me once in a while. They took me to my very first Broadway musical which was Peter Pan with Sandy Duncan and Christopher Hewitt when I was in second grade. After the show they took me to stand at the stage door with the mobs of people waiting for them to come out and sign. I remember that my father took my program out of my hand to hold over all the other heads because I was both too short and not close enough. Sharing this to show that this has been going on for all of my theater attending experience. Yes waiting at stage doors did continue for me. I loved getting the show album signed. I remember actors smiling and even stopping to chat. Some asked me questions, if I'd seen the show yet, what was my favorite part etc. I think I noticed a dramatic change at the stage door when eBay came on the scene. Stage doors suddenly were populated by autograph professionals who openly spoke about what time actors were coming out of which doors, what they successful had signed previous nights, who was not signing any more, etc Then when social media continued to develop (at that point I stopped stage door visits entirely) I noticed how much more this was becoming a topic of discussion on here. I miss the fun of getting my CDs signed, holding them when I would pop them into the CD player and remembering those moments, those brief connections but the BULLS4IT surrounding the entire process is repulsive to me now so I certainly understand what the actors are feeling and why at this point. "WE" have ruined it...not the actors.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#33Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:30pm

I think it all depends on the show. For me, the worst stage door experiences I ever had were at Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen. 

However, this past year I did stage door at My Fair Lady, Torch Song, Angels in America, and Carousel and all of them were quite pleasant. The crowd wasn't that big and all of us were quite polite. Not all actors came out but for those who did, they were quite lively and grateful for us to see their show. 

To me, the best stage door experience I ever had was at The Visit. When Chita came out, she asked us all to form a line. She stayed put by the door and we went one by one to her to get our playbill signed. Very orderly. She was ok with photos and even chatted to a few huge fans who have seen her in other shows (that was the first time I ever saw Chita perform live.)

Brian07663NJ
#34Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:44pm

Forgot to include in my prior post: over the years, with the rise of the eBay selling, the signatures I've collected went from actually being legible to a 2 letter scrawl. Now that it is merely a scrawl: "oh yeah if you squint your eyes and tilt your head...Yup that is her signature!" - I've really lost interest. Why waste the time if now you come home with some scribbles.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#35Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:51pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I don't remember the exact details of the deleted thread, but the user was recounting, in detail, Christy's stagedoorattendance for the last five weeks and was demanding to know (in multiple posts) why she consistently does not come out after Sunday shows. As if that's a normal person question to ask."

Yes now this is stalking. Completely. 

Dollypop
#36Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 2:09pm

When I started going to the theater in the '60's, there were no mobs at the stage door. Six or seven people might wait there and it was a pleasure to chat with Jerry Orbach, Tammy Crimes or Gwen Verdon. However, celebrity worship has gotten so out of hand that the stage door has become a nightmare. I seldom stage-door these days.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Tom5
#37Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 2:33pm

I wonder how many tickets must be sold on a daily basis just to pay for the cars and limos the producers must provide for the actors to leave the theater unharassed.

treblemakerz Profile Photo
treblemakerz
#38Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 2:43pm

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but just responding to the initial question: this generation (and no, I'm not trying to ostracize younger people, I'm in my early 20s myself) seems to be incredibly entitled when it comes to the time and attention of their "idols," so to speak. Even ten years ago, when social media started to catch on, people were harassing celebrities about who they were dating, what they were doing, etc.; it's more prevalent in the Broadway community because the performers are more accessible. As the kids who used to tweet obsessively at Justin Bieber grow up and become able to go places on their own, they're going to stage doors and harassing these people in person with their overblown expectations.

I don't know if anything I just said made sense, as I'm a bit tired--but I do agree with the sentiment, that stage door has become almost unbearable. As someone who does it rather frequently, it's more stressful than enjoyable nowadays.

Updated On: 11/12/18 at 02:43 PM

Sondheimite
#39Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 2:46pm

Tom5 said: "I wonder how many tickets must be sold on a daily basis just to pay for the cars and limos the producers must provide for the actors to leave the theater unharassed."

I've thought about this alot.

And it's STILL not enough.

Lord, I passed Lin walking into the Hamilton stage door more than a few times and Matthew Broderick biking to the stage door a few years ago.

Now?  Hiring a car for Ethan Slater isn't enough because fans just hire their own car to follow his. 

Updated On: 11/12/18 at 02:46 PM

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#40Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 2:49pm

This really isn’t stage dooring but the younger kids think it’s okay that if your idol doesn't stage door, it’s okay to wait for them to come out and follow them. Or stop them on the street. They don’t understand that once they leave that stage door, you do NOT talk to them. Like the moms who waited at the front of the theatre in case the DEH cast came out those doors

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

Sondheimite
#41Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 2:58pm

Bwayfan292 said: "Like the moms who waited at the front of the theatre in case the DEH cast came out those doors"

Let me say that, after working at Disney World, the amount of parents who encourage/propagate/help with their children's sociopathic tendencies is STAGGERING.

It reminds me of those videos of youtube stars just trying to get into their house, only to be met with a WALL of 9-15 year olds who are all with their parents.  And when these people are trying to walk to their house in peace, the parents shout at them "REMEMBER THAT THESE KIDS MADE YOU FAMOUS" in order to guilt the youtube star into engaging in some type of interaction.

15 year olds don't have money to go see Broadway shows unless their parents give it to them.  These kids don't have the money/means to even MAKE IT TO THE THEATRE unless their parents pay for it.  I think that the parents are somewhat at fault for allowing this to happen.  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#42Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 3:04pm

Tom5 said: "I wonder how many tickets must be sold on a daily basis just to pay for the cars and limos the producers must provide for the actors to leave the theater unharassed."

First of all, plenty of the mid-level celebrities still go without cars all the time.  And the A lists Stars most likely would have negotiated for cars regardless because they can, and it makes their commute a lot easier. 

And as for the price of the car - I don’t know what the going rates are, but I would guess a few hundred bucks per performance? So maybe 2 - 4 Full-prices tickets per performance? Doesn’t seem like it would be that much of a burden. 

And even if I’m wrong about that, I’m sure producers will gladly pay more in exchange for all the free publicity they get from the Instagram photos, plus the general marketability of having a star in their show.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#43Stagedoor

Sondheimite said: "Bwayfan292 said: "Like the moms who waited at the front of the theatre in case the DEH cast came out those doors"

Let me say that, after working at Disney World, the amount of parents who encourage/propagate/help with their children's sociopathic tendencies is STAGGERING.

It reminds me of those videos of youtube stars just trying to get into their house, only to be met with a WALL of 9-15 year olds who are all with their parents. And when these people are trying to walk to their house in peace, the parents shout at them "REMEMBER THAT THESE KIDS MADE YOU FAMOUS" in order to guilt the youtube star into engaging in some type of interaction.

15 year olds don't have money to go see Broadway shows unless their parents give it to them. These kids don't have the money/means to even MAKE IT TO THE THEATRE unless their parents pay for it. I think that the parents are somewhat at fault for allowing this to happen.
"

I completely agree with this. My parents have always taught me since I was little you treat everyone with respect, you say thank you, and when someone says no you leave them alone about it and move on. Im shocked at these stage doors that they don’t even give thank you’s or if theres no pictures they push and push to get a picture taken or still take pictures. 

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#44Stagedoor

I suppose that at the heart of all of this, it's a matter not so much of "stage dooring being a deviant/degenerate practice" as "the notion of discourse and appropriate communication in society has broken down due to social media trends being propagated in real-world discourse."

I don't stage-door often unless it's a show where I know someone in the cast personally (most shows in Pittsburgh, occasional shows in NYC), or someone that I genuinely want to, if possible, CONVERSE with in some level. Not obsessively take a selfie with, not gush or stan over. Celebrites are not deities or a different species than us: they're just people more successful than we are at what they do. I've become something of a friend of Paige Davis after a brief stage-door conversation led her to invite me to the bar with her and her entourage; similarly, I had a wonderful chat with Todd Rundgren about his lesser-known "A Cappella" project, and he seemed relieved to have someone who actually wanted to talk TO him instead of AT or ABOUT him.

Remembering to treat people like people is getting harder and harder in a digital society that treats people as Pokemon Go to be spotted in the wild, captured, documented and shared as proof of accomplishment.

BroadwayRox3588
#45Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 3:22pm

robskynyc said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "I don't remember the exact details of the deleted thread, but the user was recounting, in detail, Christy's stagedoorattendance for the last five weeks and was demanding to know (in multiple posts) why she consistently does not come out after Sunday shows. As if that's a normal person question to ask."

the psycho started a new thread:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1113275
"

And, but people with more chill than them took the thread, and turned it into the sequel to the Arbra Streisand thread.

Updated On: 11/12/18 at 03:22 PM

BroadwayPrincess3 Profile Photo
BroadwayPrincess3
#46Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 3:24pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "robskynyc said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "I don't remember the exact details of the deleted thread, but the user was recounting, in detail, Christy's stagedoorattendance for the last five weeks and was demanding to know (in multiple posts) why she consistently does not come out after Sunday shows. As if that's a normal person question to ask."

the psycho started a new thread:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1113275
"

And, but people with more chill than them took the thread, and turned it into the sequel to the Arbra Streisand thread.
"

And it’s a grand old time indeed!

bk
#47Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 3:31pm

One of the problems actors today face re social media, at least in film and TV, is that up-and-comers and pretty much everyone save for stars is told they have a better chance being cast if they have a huge social media presence - THAT is a real problem.

But I'm with those who think what goes on today is heinous.  The first time I became aware of it was Beauty and the Beast when I had to go backstage to meet friends in the company.  I couldn't believe it, really.  Someone mentioned Peter Pan - I saw it and went back to see two friends and there were maybe three or four people waiting at the stage door, all parents with little kids, because at that time theatergoing wasn't for little kids or even young teens, not like today.  Peter Pan was probably the only show on Broadway at that time that would have appealed to kids so it's more understandable that it might have happened with that show, but I can assure you that this thing called stage dooring is the product of the last twenty years or so, in terms of the way it's been building to what it is today and what it is today is grotesque, keeping actors for twenty or thirty minutes after they've just given a performance.  Walk a mile in those shoes someday.

When I began going to the theater in Los Angeles I was probably fourteen.  When I saw an incredible performance I went to the stage door and asked if I could meet whoever gave it.  And I am here to tell you that on those occasions there was not one other person there, I was always taken to the performer's dressing room, where they were gracious and kind and encouraging to this wannabe kid who wanted to be an actor.  I didn't do it much, however, and it was always very brief.  And when less than a decade later I did a play at the Mark Taper Forum at the Music Center in LA, I was always tickled when someone would come back asking to meet me or be waiting by the stage door.  Bud Cort was also in the show and Harold and Maude had rabid, crazy fans, but they never came to the stage door after, ever, not once.  

But that was then and now is now and I honestly don't know how performers deal with this today.  I no longer go back to see friends after shows - we meet at whatever restaurant we decide on.  The entitlement on view is sickening and when it turns ugly, as with Ms. Benanti recently, it goes beyond sickening.

robskynyc
#48Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 3:46pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "but people with more chill than them took the thread, and turned it into the sequel to the Arbra Streisand thread."

Arbra is LEGENDARY. She lives on. lol

BroadwayPrincess3 Profile Photo
BroadwayPrincess3
#49Stagedoor
Posted: 11/12/18 at 3:47pm

robskynyc said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "but people with more chill than them took the thread, and turned it into the sequel to the Arbra Streisand thread."

Arbra is LEGENDARY. She lives on. lol

"

Even when the thread is deleted, lol!!

Videos