pixeltracker

TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date. - Page 2

TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.

Broadway_Boy
#25TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/4/18 at 9:59pm

macnyc said: "Wow, such a shame! I really enjoyed this production. I wonder why it didn't attract a larger audience. Michael Urie is well known,and so is Mercedes Ruehl."

I know who Michael is from Ugly Betty and all his theatre work, but I wouldn’t say he’s well known. He has 50 k Instagram followers. Most Broadway stars have more followers than that, without a successful tv show credit. I have no idea who Mercedes is, and I keep very up to date with pop culture. 

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

Gizmo6
#26TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/4/18 at 10:03pm

I saw it last year and had planned to see it again last month but this season was so poor I couldn't bring myself to fly across the Globe for it. 

I think for out of towners/international visitors when the season is poor we just stay away. 

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#27TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/4/18 at 10:20pm

Broadway in Chicago is bringing the likes of "Sex Tips for Women from a Gay Man" and "Friends" next year in their Broadway Playhouse venue. Which is similar in size to the Off-Broadway theater Torch Song ran in. Not to mention, that's where Urie performed Buyer & Cellar when it toured. If and, hopefully, when it plays in Chicago. My guess is that's the venue.  

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#28TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/4/18 at 10:37pm

Fordham2015 said: "Robbie2 said: "Perfect for Girl from the North Country"

The issue with either Oklahoma or North Country going in the Hayes is that Second Stage said the theater would only feature American plays. I personally think that's too limiting (and both musicals dohave roots in Americana)but it depends on how stubborn the board is.
"

It is highly unlikely (closer to impossible) that the production going into the Hayes will be a 2ST production. As with Torch, it'll be a rental. There is no "mission" for rentals. 

Scoot3
#29TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/4/18 at 10:49pm

I am glad that I will be able to see this on my trip. Kinda sad it couldn't finish its run with its great reviews. There are plenty of great seats left for the closing performance. Just bought my ticket. Promo Code TSBOX has tickets priced 49-79!

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#30TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/4/18 at 11:07pm

I think it’s only closing a month and some change earlier than announced, right? It was always a limited engagement, which could have been extended if the demand was there.

...but sadly, as another poster said, it did so well Off-Broadway that they thought it would keep going for this run. Even friends who saw it Off-Broadway asked, when I told them about the transfer, “is it going to be any different?”

To each their own. I have seen this iteration of the show 5 times (twice at 2ST) and intend on going two more times. It has been one of my favorite plays since before I ever saw a production. I am so grateful for everyone who was involved in making this revival happen.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#31TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/4/18 at 11:12pm

So so disappointed. I was hoping to make it to NYC before it closes. This makes that even more difficult.
TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#32TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 12:19am

I saw this tonight via TDF and via the front row, and I thought it was astonishing. Perfection on every level. Brilliant. I will say that the son looked much older than his age, and he felt a bit “much,” but everyone was amazing and Act 2 is worth the price. I will say, I was surprised to see that Allen played such a major role in Arnold’s life, as their exchanges in the bed didn’t seem anything profound.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#33TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 9:31am

To ya'll saying Oklahoma is going into this theatre, how the f*ck is this production of Oklahoma going to work in this theatre?? That piece really can't work in a proscenium house.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#34TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 9:37am

Wow. I just happen to have tickets for the final show. I bought them back in October for my trip.

Not to be confused with Dave19.

vampire musical
#35TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 10:38am

If I were the producers of Girl From the North Country I'd scoop up the Hayes stat. Heard that that show was taking the Lunt for a limited run. Totally wrong choice.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#36TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 1:08pm

Well, I was hoping I had more time to get back to NYC before this closed, but since I don’t I just bit the bullet and booked my flights and hotel for Torch Song’s closing weekend. I’m hoping to see some other shows while there. Flying in Friday January 4 and flying out on Monday January 7. I still remember watching the movie version for the first time on a rented VHS tape on a friend’s television. Can’t wait to revisit it and to see Michael Urie on stage again who along with Mercedes Ruehl and the rest of the talented cast will bring Harvey Fierstein’s script to life.

I also just used a discount code from BroadwayBox to buy my front row center orchestra ticket for the final performance at the matinee on the 6th.

I’ll likely have time for 4 others shows (via TKTS).

So far for sure;

Everything I really wanna see is available on TKTS so not pre-buying but looking like:

- [ ] The Waverly Gallery (P)
- [ ] American Son (P)
- [ ] Torch Song (P) Sunday matinee
- [ ] The Lifespan of a Fact (P) Sunday evening

Plus something else on TKTS so:

- [ ] The Ferryman (P)
- [ ] The Cher Show (M) (if on TKTS)
- [ ] The Prom (M)

Or revisit

- [ ] The Band’s Visit (M)
- [ ] Dear Evan Hansen (M) (if on TKTS)

Updated On: 12/5/18 at 01:08 PM

JBC3
#37TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 1:26pm

I have a single seat to Torch Song for sale, front row, A107, Saturday, January 5, 8 pm.

Paid $85 including fees.

Selling for $60 FIRM.

PDF ticket.
Paypal.

Updated On: 12/5/18 at 01:26 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#38TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 2:36pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Well, I was hoping I had more time to get back to NYC before this closed, but since I don’t I just bit the bullet and booked my flights and hotel for Torch Song’s closing weekend. I’m hoping to see some other shows while there. Flying in Friday January 4 and flying out on Monday January 7. I still remember watching the movie version for the first time on a rented VHS tape on a friend’s television. Can’t wait to revisit it and to see Michael Urie on stage again who along with Mercedes Ruehl and the rest of the talented cast will bring Harvey Fierstein’s script to life."

So glad you're going to see it! I've sat in front row at the Hayes and enjoyed the experience up close! I'm going with a group of 5 friends to the final show and we're all quite excited! 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#39TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 3:23pm

So glad you're going to see it! I've sat in front row at the Hayes and enjoyed the experience up close! I'm going with a group of 5 friends to the final show and we're all quite excited!"

I’ll be in A103. Come by and see hello if you’d like! 

Larry6417
#40TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 3:38pm

Even shows with "stars" are not doing expected sales. Torch Song has an Oscar winner and it tanked.

Daniel Radcliffe in Life Span of a Fact is not bringing in stellar business.

The Waverly Gallery with Lucas Hedges, Michael Cera, and Elaine May is struggling terribly.

Kerry Washington in American Son is doing below 70% capacity.

THESE ARE ALL FINE ACTORS, but when "stars" have to duke it out for ticket sales, maybe there are too many "stars".

There are plenty of shows doing much better business sans celebrity casting....

HAMILTON, MORMON, COME FROM AWAY, DEH, HARRY POTTER, MEAN GIRLS

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#41TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 4:02pm

The main distinguishing factor in your list separating shows doing blockbuster business from those that are doing average to poor box office is that the ones doing blockbuster business are mostly musicals or built in known quantities while the ones which are doing less than blockbuster business are all plays. That doesn’t seem that unusual sadly enough.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#42TORCH SONG- announces January 6th closing date.
Posted: 12/5/18 at 4:08pm

Will do if we're not running late lol! We're sitting front row mezzanine.