Falsettos National Tour

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#50Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 4/1/19 at 4:07pm

They are now selling their tour merch online for those interested.

http://shoplct.com/falsettos

bear88
#51Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 4/13/19 at 12:24pm

Headed to the show tonight. Interesting contrast between the favorable comments here and the pans by local newspaper reviewers.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#52Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 4/13/19 at 12:34pm

San Francisco newspapers are panning this production? I’m totally flummoxed by this!

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#53Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 5/8/19 at 1:29am

I caught the show over the weekend or perhaps better stated, I caught the first act.

I had never sen Falsettos before and wasn't at all familiar with the music.  I knew the basic storyline and as a fellow gay jew I thought I'd be all over this, except that i wasn't.   The cast was uniformly perfect and I enjoyed their performances and voices - but I just couldn't find the empathy to care about them, at all.  The direction and production itself was totally underwhelming and quite frankly disappointing.  That giant cube, the meh lighting, the not great sound mix did not help the cause 

I so wanted to love this but left at intermission.  

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#54Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 5/8/19 at 1:37am

That’s unfortunate, Vernon. I saw it at Ahmnason too and was also underwhelmed by the first act, but absolutely loved the second. It is much stronger. All that being said, I recommend the tour for a cheap ticket, but watching the filmed version is almost just as good (granted with a better cast).

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#55Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 5/8/19 at 1:40am

If I still have the PBS Broadcast on my PBS app, I'll be sure to attempt to watch the second act.  I think we are in the minority but found the show just so unlikeable

UncleCharlie
#56Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 5/8/19 at 2:42am

VernonGersch said: "If I still have the PBS Broadcast on my PBS app, I'll be sure to attempt to watch the second act. I think we are in the minority but found the show just so unlikeable"

I also saw it at the Ahmanson 2 or 3 weeks ago and I had the exact same reaction you did. Didn't really care for it. The vignettes just seemed disconnected, I didn't understand the purpose of or see the need for the 2 neighbors and the ending created the obligatory lump in the throat but it didn't feel "earned" for lack of a better way to put it. I stayed through the whole thing but of the 6 shows I saw on my extended L.A. theater weekend, this was at the bottom. As a contrast, the best of the shows I saw was the night before, Nia Vardalos in Tiny, Beautiful Things at the Pasadena Playhouse, another heavy, emotion rendering play. But the emotions I felt came organically and naturally and just flowed throughout the work rather than from an inserted plot point in the last 20 minutes. Not sorry I saw Falsettos but didn't really live up to what i was hoping for.

Updated On: 5/8/19 at 02:42 AM

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#57Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 5/9/19 at 2:54am

Saw it tonight in LA, and loved it almost as much as when I saw it on Broadway for the first time a couple of years ago. We won the Today Tix lottery for $25 tickets, and the seats were center rear orchestra. Didn’t notice any issues with the sound.

I don’t think it’s a show for everyone, but I found it moving despite the relative enormity of the Ahmanson.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#58Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 5/29/19 at 8:46am

Saw the first performance in Chicago. It played great from mid orchestra, though I've no idea how it reads from the balcony. I agree with the many who find act one feels dated while act two feels timely. The one thing that comes across is how few options some women and gay men felt they had in 1979, and how things were just starting to open up before the AIDS crisis hit.

Max von Essen and Nick Adams show greater range than I've seen from them in the past. Both show more vulnerability than their counterparts did on the PBS broadcast and are able to play both sweet and sour sides of their characters. Eden Espinoza lacks the comic chops of past Trinas I've seen. The audience loved "Breaking Down" but I felt she was more comfortable in "I'm Tired of All The Happy Men." By act two it felt her arc was over and she was stuck in one gear. Nick Blaemire plays Mendel with a lot of energy but very grating. He bonds with Jason but reads as hostile to Trina and the other men.

What stood out this time is how little we hear of Whizzer's thoughts compared to the other characters. His act one solo is how wary he is of Marvin. Marvin, Trina and Jason spend act two singing of their love for him but his interactions with Marvin cede focus to him and he rarely interacts with the other two. It made me wish they'd given Jason and Whizzer a significant conversation in act one beyond "Sure, go see a psychiatrist."

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#59Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 5/29/19 at 5:36pm

So excited as I just scored a front row center ticket for this coming Tuesday night. For anyone who might want to see the show, using the code JASON makes the $86 orchestra seats go down to $49 before fees.

broadwayindie
#60Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 5/31/19 at 11:15am

Eden was out last night (she posted that her dog had died). Her understudy was Megan Loughran who was VERY good. I thought Megan did a good job building Trina. She came off as VERY meek at the beginning but was heightening the character as the show went on, making her more complex and adding layers that I didn't pick up on from other Trinas. She also had a killer voice.

The rest of the cast was great with EXCELLENT.  The weakest in the cast was Von Essen. I think he needed more complexity to Marvin. I was getting one expression the whole time. May be because the usually chemistry with Eden wasn't there but idk.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#61Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 6/2/19 at 9:04am

Chicago reviews are positive. Chris Jones of the Chicago Tribune gushes about the material and the singing but doesn't delve into anyone's' acting choices.

"Touring 'Falsettos,' now in Chicago, has a cast that's better than Broadway's"
The all-pro road company ... sings the score exquisitely. This is not an unusual occurrence, partly because many factors go into the creation of Broadway casts, allowing for a subsequent tour to be composed of maybe lesser known performers who act and sing just like characters whom the director now knows very well. That’s exactly what you get here; truly, the singing is as pitch-perfect as it is organic to the story-telling. At times, I just closed my eyes to listen to the harmonies." ~ Chicago Tribune

https://www.theatreinchicago.com/falsettos/reviews/9868/

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#62Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 6/6/19 at 11:23pm

I watched this when it first hit PBS and thought it was okay. But I saw it this year on tour and was blown away. And watching it again tonight is so much better than the first time. I got the humor more and, of course, I cried.

SisterGeorge
#63Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 6/14/19 at 5:56pm

Saw this in DC, and I think Max von Essen is giving one of the most beautifully nuanced and affecting musical theater performances I've seen this year. As a whole, I liked the show much better this time than when I saw it on Broadway.

Sister George

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#64Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 6/14/19 at 7:47pm

I saw the show closing night in LA and it just blew me away. I and pretty much everyone around me were greatly affected and teary by the end. I saw the show on Broadway as well but was much less effected by it and enjoyed this production more as a whole. One thing that I didn't feel with the Broadway casting was that Andrew Rannells fit his character description as being a flawless Adonis. Hot he is, but an Adonis? I felt Nick fit the bill better

Darreyl with an L!

SisterGeorge
#65Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 6/15/19 at 12:21pm

darreyl102 said: "I saw the show closing night in LA and it just blew me away. I and pretty much everyone around me were greatly affected and teary by the end. I saw the show on Broadway as well but was much less effected by it and enjoyed this production more as a whole. One thing that I didn't feel with the Broadway casting was that Andrew Rannells fit his character description as being a flawless Adonis. Hot he is, but an Adonis? I felt Nick fit the bill better"

And I think Nick sang the score better too. I hadn't realized he had such a fun "show-tune" voice. The DC audience also was wrecked by the end. At the curtain, you could tell von Essen still hadn't recovered from that very emotional final scene.

Sister George

runaways
#66Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 6/15/19 at 2:43pm

Updated On: 7/1/19 at 02:43 PM

Oliver Brownlow
#67Falsettos National Tour
Posted: 8/24/20 at 8:47pm

Will3700 said: "Thatcher Jacobs is one of the best child actors I’ve seen."

Unfortunately, the FALSETTOS National Tour concluded some time ago, but I saw it in Chicago, and I just want to say I agree with the praise for child actor Thatcher Jacobs that has been expressed here by Will3700 and others.