pixeltracker

KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews- Page 6

KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews

novel idea
#125KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 9:57pm

In response to Ethan - "Stephanie Styles is wonderful"

You must be joking.  She's one of the worst parts.  Such an amateur performance!

Updated On: 3/1/19 at 09:57 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#126KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 10:14pm

Stephanie Styles is indeed wonderful in KMK. A true star-making turn. I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t get a Tony nomination.

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#127KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 10:42pm

DebraR said: "Has anyone tried rushing in person? If so, what time did you get there? Missed out on Todaytix rush and hoping in person may be a little easier. Really missing Rush Report!"

I posted about my rush. I went last week. Showed up at 10:15am and was the first person in line. Theres not a big hype for this one

broadwaysfguy
#128KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/1/19 at 11:11pm

saw this last week
i love cole porter
i love kelli ohara
i love roundabout
i love revivals
i love kiss me kate the musical

so i should have been a cinch to love this show

it was ok
kelli is mis cast
no chemistry between the leads
the gangsters are way over the top cartoonish
the theatre was freezing cold i mean freezing

upsides
the dancing and costumes are strong
kellis singing is stunning as always
always great to hear porter performed by pros

megan hilty or kchen or laura benanti all would have been better fits

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#129KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/2/19 at 7:57am

I don’t think it’s a matter of being miscast (although I question a couple of the minor character choices), I think the Direction is uninspired.

I was talking about this with a friend the other night and he made an excellent point - we have been spoiled by the brilliance of Bartlett Sher and his incredible ability to find life within the layers of the classics. We expect all revivals to have the same thrill of discovery and brilliance of production.

This production is wonderful in many ways, and the four leads are gorgeous - it’s worth it to hear them sing these gems - but the direction doesn’t find much to make it soar. And it should.

I saw it in very early previews and hoped that it would improve as the preview period continued, but based on what I’m reading, it sounds like it’s still flat. And that’s a shame.

I’ll see it again. But it’s a shame this wasn’t in more inspired hands.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 3/2/19 at 07:57 AM

ImAProphet
#130KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/2/19 at 9:07am

broadwaysfguy said: "the theatre was freezing cold i mean freezing"

That's weird. I was there 2/23 and sweated the whole time (and I'm one of those people that's always cold). Maybe they got complaints and took it to the other extreme.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#131KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/2/19 at 10:46am

ImAProphet said: "broadwaysfguy said: "the theatre was freezing cold i mean freezing"

That's weird. I was there 2/23 and sweated the whole time (and I'm one of those people that's always cold). Maybe they got complaints and took it to the other extreme.
"

I was there for the first preview of KKM and I too was very warm as were others in the audience especially after intermission. It was literally Too Darn Hot. Maybe they’ve tried to adjust the climate inside the theater and gone too far the other way now. 

As for Sher spoiling us, I find him hit-and-miss. I loved, loved The King and I, but while I admired certain elements of My Fair Lady, those elements didn’t add up to a satisfying whole for me. Haven’t seen TKAM, yet. 

Maybe because I went into KKM with few expectations, I walked away very happy. It may be sacrilege on here, but I actually enjoyed KKM more than MFL. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#132KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/2/19 at 1:55pm

I don't believe it proper to say that Kelli O'Hara was miscast. After two very quiet years on the musical front, Roundabout needed a star to anchor their return to splashy and big budget musicals. Kelli and Will had performed a one night concert version of Kiss Me, Kate at the 2016 Roundabout Gala. Her Tony nominated performance in the Roundabout production of The Pajama Game with Harry Connick in 2006 was a nice career step for her after Light in the Piazza. 

I think that she revealed a lot in that special interview for Newsday that I posted. The first week of previews had passed. Here she minimized changes to the original material, but made it clear that she did not intend to play the role as broadly and comedically as had been done in prior productions.

We don’t want to fix what’s not broken. Like my song “I Hate Men” — we’re not changing anything about that except I’m not flailing about, like a crazy woman, so you discount me. I’m just singing the words. Listen, I don’t hate men. 

No flailing about like a crazy woman. A little ironic in that Kelli had complimented Marin Mazzie in the 1999 revival which she had seen before reaching stardom. In Ben Brantley's long review, he notes and compliments Marin for her performance of "I Hate Men."

Her outlandishly entertaining take on that great exercise in animosity, ''I Hate Men,'' which here includes a vivid simulation of giving birth, goes over the top, for sure. But it doesn't go out of control.

Although she admired Marin's "over-the-top" performance, she chose not to imitate it. For Marin, but not Kelly, we saw Kate "flailing away like a crazy woman."

In an earlier January interview, while the show was rehearsing, Ms. O'Hara appeared to take a feminist view and spoke of changing the show where necessary to identify and expose any misogynistic behavior by the men:

If Petruchio or even Fred is misogynistic, we’re going to see that as a fault, so it’s a lesson for all. We’re going to see her shrewishness as a result of the way she’s treated by men, not just that she’s a “difficult woman.” We’re acknowledging things that are wrong and we’re taking things out that are blatantly terrible and adding a feeling of If you’re gonna spank my bottom, I’m gonna kick your balls. I don’t want it to always be that these men are big and strong and we’re victims....

This production never goes so far as to indict Fred/Petruchio as a misogynist and to make sure that this is revealed to the audience and he is given his comeuppance. I see this as inevitable. Fred will behave in such a broad, empirical manner that he can't be given a label. Lilli says, above, "if you're gonna spank my bottom, I'm gonna kick you balls." Well in the 1999 revival Lilli does kick Fred's balls, and give him a shot to the gut, and slap his face twice before the spanking (sorry to bring that up again). And after the spanking Lilli gets in another two slaps to the face and exits with dignity as Fred is whining about finding a doctor to see if his eye is bleeding.

There is no need to expose Fred as a misogynist because Lilli hold the upper hand over him from the moment that she reads the note with the flowers.

Kelli, and I think Will, do not want to play their roles out as mutual buffoons and that has caused the show to drift without much direction. It's almost on a par with Laura Benanti, faced with a passive Eliza from whom to take the role from, fell back on what she knew and is playing the character based on her own personality.  Kelli is falling back on the mostly dignified (and certainly not looney) roles that she has played in most of her shows.

I still have hopes that all these bright and crazy creatives will get it all together before opening night.

Ben Brantley review of 1999 revival

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/19/movies/theater-review-a-spirit-still-true-in-its-fashion.html

Updated On: 3/2/19 at 01:55 PM

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#133KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/3/19 at 8:26pm

I saw this today and thought it was a terrific production.  The cast,ensemble , orchestra were second to none.  Very polished, wonderful choreography by Carlyle, and all cast members were at the top of their game.

Too Darn Hot was indeed a show stopper to open the second act.  It easily brought the biggest applause of the night.  The biggest surprise to me was Will Chase’s voice.  I’ve seen him in a couple of shows but he never sounded this good to me.  Just a great all around performance.  

My only complaint with the production is the underuse of Kelli in the second act.  Whether that’s a conscious decision since she was really prominent in the first act and they didn’t want her voice(incredible as usual) to be overused, I’m not sure but I kept waiting for her.

the amazing part of this production is the overall physicality of it by all the players and they were all up to the task.  The comedic timing was great but I’m in agreement with a previous poster that there was a bit of lack of chemistry between the leads.  Perhaps it was all the fighting scenes (great for sure) but I never bought  into the love scenes.  It almost felt similar to the recent production of Oklahoma where the leads chemistry was lacking.  

All in all, a very good production that should garner some Tony nominations.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#134KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/4/19 at 1:18am

Kelli is a subtle performer- she isn't one of those showy "killed it!" performers. She's proven that she can pull off comedy though in several things and that her acting is fantastic. Kelli is great in The King & I. Vocally it isn't that challenging for her but she is still wonderful and her acting is amazing. Not everyone likes her subtle style however which is fine. Sometimes subtlety isn't enough for people. 

Loopin’theloop
#135KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/4/19 at 1:29pm

Soaring29 said: "Kelli is a subtle performer- she isn't one of those showy "killed it!" performers. She's proven that she can pull off comedy though in several things and that her acting is fantastic. Kelli is great in The King & I. Vocally it isn't that challenging for her but she is still wonderful and her acting is amazing. Not everyone likes her subtle style however which is fine. Sometimes subtlety isn't enough for people."

The problem is, it’s not a subtle show. It could be argued that you might be able to find a less broad approach to playing the backstage scenes, then might’ve been employed previously but the show within the show is broad. We are supposed to imagine that it has been directed by an old ham, that it includes numbers such as ‘Tom, Dick or Harry’ and lyrics like ‘Not stars like L. B. Mayors are we’ Frederick Graham’s production is not classy.  This is also a show in which two gangsters, in pursuit of a debt end up dressing up in full costume and joining a broadway musical. You have to build the universe of a musical so that it’s most heightened and over the top moments, seem plausible within the world of the piece. 

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#136KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/7/19 at 12:01pm

Saw it for a second time last night. Kelli is definitely hamming up the comedy a bit more now since I saw it on 3rd preview

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#137KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/7/19 at 1:22pm

I can't wait to see it again!

She has it in her to do over-the-top comedy - she's done it before - and I can't wait to see her really shine in this role.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#138KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/7/19 at 2:08pm

I adore Kelli in the "right" role. What does that mean? Well, she was perfect as Fiona (that whole production should have moved to Broadway; perhaps Roundabout should be doing that instead...) and BRIDGES was one of the most rhapsodically romantic performances I've ever seen. But her Anna in THE KING AND I, Tony Award notwithstanding, left me cold, and luckily I went back when Marin came in and totally dazzled me with her strength and singing. 

Never thought Kelli or Will Chase would be well cast in KMK, and was hoping I was wrong. But unlikely I will see this on my next NYC trip, although I'm sure Brantley/Green will fall all over themselves in praise.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#139KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/7/19 at 3:01pm

I got a rush ticket to the matinee yesterday and left at intermission. Frankly, after the misguided crapfest that was Carousel, I’ve had it with revivals of classic musicals that rest on our love of them to coast by.

The good: Kelli sounds divine, the dancing is exciting, and score is sung well.

The bad: well... everything else. Standard sets you’d see in any regional theater, non-committal direction, actors sleepwalking through their parts, wildly miscast leads, punchlines landing with a thud.

Honestly, I’ve never been wild about act two post-Too Darn Hot, so I’m not sad to have missed the rest, especially given my lack of investment. But this felt like such a waste of time on so many levels. It’s as though everyone heard Oklahoma! was coming in and just laid down and played dead.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#140KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/7/19 at 7:31pm

Loopin’theloop said: "Soaring29 said: "Kelli is a subtle performer- she isn't one of those showy "killed it!" performers. She's proven that she can pull off comedy though in several things and that her acting is fantastic. Kelli is great in The King & I. Vocally it isn't that challenging for her but she is still wonderful and her acting is amazing. Not everyone likes her subtle style however which is fine. Sometimes subtlety isn't enough for people."

The problem is, it’s not a subtle show. It could be argued that you might be able to find a less broad approach to playing the backstage scenes, then might’ve been employed previously but the show within the show is broad. We are supposed to imagine that it has been directed by an old ham, that it includes numbers such as ?Tom, Dick or Harry’ and lyrics like ?Not stars like L. B. Mayors are we’ Frederick Graham’s production is not classy.This is also a show in which two gangsters, in pursuit of a debt end up dressing up in full costume and joining a broadway musical. You have to build the universe of a musical so that it’s most heightened and over the top moments, seem plausible within the world of the piece.

I didn't mean that subtlety was the right approach to the show- just that in general some people find Kelli's more subtle style unsatisfying. Like the user above does. 

"

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#141KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/9/19 at 12:13pm

Is there an in person rush for this production?

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#142KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/9/19 at 5:43pm

2 quick questions to those who have seen the show. 1) Are they selling Window Cards yet? And 2) how insane is the stage door for this?

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#143KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/9/19 at 6:15pm

I was there for fhe first preview and I believe they did already have window cards. I know I was amazed they already had so much merch.

As far as stagedoor, they had a line of barricades and everyone seemed to get their playbills signed and selfies if they wished (except with Kelli who doesn’t do that). Everyone was very friendly.

BroadwayLover992 Profile Photo
BroadwayLover992
#144KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 9:37am

getupngo said:  "I posted about my rush. I went last week. Showed up at 10:15am and was the first person in line. Theres not a big hype for this one"

I have been looking for information about the rush - what day did you rush? Was it a weekday or the weekend? Were your seats good or partial view? Have you heard about amyone doing the Mobile Rush through TodayTix? When I did it for Head Over Heels I got really good seats.

MyLife
#145KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/12/19 at 9:52am

TodayTix rush was side Rear Mezz. Not worth it.

If under 35, HipTix is the way to go.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#146KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/14/19 at 12:30pm

From the first preview to the last. Many changes. Many improvements. Kelli is more confident in the role right from the beginning. She communicates with the audience with facial expressions, body language and glances.

Chemistry. I guess there aren't many signs of chemistry in the initial reuniting of Kelli and Will. No nervousness, no preening in front of the mirror to check appearance while insults are passing back and forth. The song "Wunderbar" for me changes all this. Shared memories of the good and bad times, the love that had once been there. Familiar patter. "No dear, we were both in the chorus." I think that it's a wonderful song and it displays the current feelings of the two. Others might be looking for more.

The "wooing" scene. Much changed and improved. Kelli is more aggressive. The "spread legs" gag is used as it was in the London version. You will know it when you see it. The first preview scene just appeared to drag on for too long without coming to a climax. Now the model of the West End scene is closely followed. 

Where as Rachel attacked with three slaps, a kick to the gut and an arm to the private parts, Kelli slaps and keeps advancing towards Will to land kicks. About five. Will gives the same spanking warning as Brent did in the revival, and grabs her to administer it,  Will he go through with it?

My focus is on Kelli. Will just seemed to fit the role perfectly and play it quite like Brent, which is not a bad thing. He could use at least one better song, with some warmth to it. I had Stephanie's Tony nomination already in print that first time. This time, while I still think it likely, just maybe she was too cute in places.

A good mood following Act 1. Act II I was surprised to find was a letdown. Not bad, but not as good as the first. At one point I was actually checking my watch. The running gangster joke was good but not great. The general did not add much to the show and, as said by many, "From This Moment On" is a good song poorly placed. The two non-comical songs, "Wunderbar" and "So in Love" are used early in the first Act. The second act could have used its own love song, or at least a major reprise of "So in Love."

I wouldn't be expecting raves for this one. Ben Brantley reviewing the 1999 revival said

''Kiss Me, Kate'' asserts that there is still a place for sophisticated, grown-up fun in the New York theater.

Brooks Atkinson, in his review of the original said:

All you can say for 'Kiss Me, Kate' is that it is terribly enjoyable,

That might not be enough for our current critics.

bwaylvsong
#147KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/14/19 at 12:48pm

“Chemistry. I guess there aren't many signs of chemistry in the initial reuniting of Kelli and Will. No nervousness, no preening in front of the mirror to check appearance while insults are passing back and forth.“

The show begins after Lilli and Fred have been rehearsing for several weeks. We don’t see their initial reuniting.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#148KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/14/19 at 1:33pm

When the last revival went to the West End, the production was taped. In London, the show starred Brent Barrett and Rachel York. Sets and all of the rest were the same...

This London production is available on Blu-ray and it's very enjoyable. I would've loved to have this with Brian and Marin, but this London edition is a lot of fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Kate-Blu-ray-Rachel-York/dp/B06VSN5CY4/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=kiss+me+kate+blu-ray&qid=1552583921&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#149KISS ME, KATE (2019 Roundabout Revival) - Previews
Posted: 3/14/19 at 1:50pm

"All you can say for 'Kiss Me, Kate' is that it is terribly enjoyable,

That might not be enough for our current critics.”

That was certainly more than enough for me. I went in hoping to have a blissful time and I did. 

"