pixeltracker

Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish Reviews- Page 2

Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish Reviews

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#25Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/20/19 at 4:25pm

I attended the 92Y Talk with Joel Grey and some of the cast last night. It was excellent! The Y has published the talk in their archives:

https://www.92y.org/archives-fiddler-on-the-roof-yiddish-conversation-performances

Chuckle moment: I heard the ushers chatting afterwards, mentioning that someone left in a huff after Matchmaker b/c there were no supertitles and they didn't speak Yiddish! LOL 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#26Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/20/19 at 4:45pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH, CARMENA3! Can’t wait to see and hear this.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#27Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/20/19 at 5:40pm

CarmenA3 said: "I attended the 92Y Talk with Joel Grey and some of the cast last night. It was excellent! The Y has published the talk in their archives:

https://www.92y.org/archives-fiddler-on-the-roof-yiddish-conversation-performances

Chuckle moment: I heard the ushers chatting afterwards, mentioning that someone left in a huff after Matchmaker b/c there were no supertitles and they didn't speak Yiddish! LOL
"

I thought there were supertitles though?

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
Posted: 3/20/19 at 8:57pm

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.
Updated On: 3/20/19 at 08:57 PM

ChrisBroad Profile Photo
ChrisBroad
#29Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/20/19 at 10:59pm

RaisedOnMusicals said "I thought there were supertitles though?"

I believe the previous poster was referring to the performance during the 92Y Talk.

Does anyone know of any discount codes for this show that don't blackout days?  FIBBXL313 doesn't work for Thursday matinees.  As of right now, telecharge tix are around $100 for the very last two rows of the theater ($70 for the last two rows, last two on the side).  Maybe two rows closer on far sides for $81 on BroadwayBox.  I can wait til closer to the date for TodayTix or to try rush, but I'd obviously prefer to find some deal in advance.  

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#30Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/20/19 at 11:17pm

ChrisBroad said: "RaisedOnMusicalssaid "I thought therewere supertitles though?"

I believe the previous poster was referring to the performance during the 92Y Talk.

Does anyone know of any discount codes for this show that don't blackout days?FIBBXL313 doesn't work for Thursday matinees. As of right now, telecharge tix are around $100 for the very last two rows of the theater ($70 for the last two rows, last two on the side). Maybe two rows closer on far sides for $81 on BroadwayBox. I can wait til closer to the date for TodayTix or to try rush, but I'd obviously prefer to find some deal in advance.
"

None of the discounts I've seen have offered more than a $10 discount, including the one you posted. Honestly, though, it's very easy to get a rush ticket the morning of the show through TodayTix, especially on a Thursday matinee, and it will almost certainly be 50% off at TKTS, as well. It's probably worth waiting.

ChrisBroad Profile Photo
ChrisBroad
#31Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/20/19 at 11:34pm

Thanks, CT2NYC!  That's super helpful, and encouraging to hear.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#32Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/20/19 at 11:38pm

I agree with CT2NYC. Try for the lottery and if that doesn’t work out, head over to TKTS. You’ll likely get a seat(s) closet to the stage for the same price (or less) as last row. While I believe there probably aren’t any bad seats in this theater and I think you’ll have a meaningful experience regardless of where you sit, I recommend sitting closer. I sat front row center and felt so drawn in. Being closer also made it easy to read the supertitles although I suppose being a few rows back would’ve made it easier to not have to pick from reading supertitles and watching the actors a couple of times.

HBBrock
#33Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 12:17am

Saw this tonight and it was FANTASTIC!

My TodayTix rush seat was Orchestra K 109. A perfect seat. The theatre was about 60% full, which was sad to see.

Steven Skybell and the entire cast were outstanding.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#34Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 7:04am

Given the empty seats, I'm really puzzled why Fiddler hasn't been on TDF as far as I can see and other available discounts aren't good either. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#35Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 7:25am

Agree, macnyc. I adore this production. Saw it twice in one week. But I am stumped as to the reasoning behind why this show is not on TDF and last night, for instance, not on TKTS. At first, I was pleased. I thought it was doing well. But I see a post here saying it was 60% full at a performance they just attended.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#36Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 8:51am

Actually, it was at tkts yesterday. It has been on tkts in tbe past.

Just give the world Love.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#37Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 9:01am

I wish the original subject line calling the thread "Yiddler" would be changed as when using the search looking for Fiddler this thread does not show up.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 3/21/19 at 09:01 AM

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#38Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 9:02am

Really, uncageg? I specifically looked on my TKTS Live App and did not see it listed for last night’s show, Wednesday. I actually checked twice. Perhaps it went up later? Was it at 50%? I’ve seen it up before. That’s why I thought it odd it wasn’t up yesterday. I’ll keep an eye out again, Good to hear. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#39Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 9:03am

Here! Here! Huss417. Frankly, that subject header always has offended me.

Updated On: 3/21/19 at 09:03 AM

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#40Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 12:08pm

Nice change of subject header. Thx, whomever. Change is possible.

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#41Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 12:12pm

So glad that the subject header reflects the actual name of the show!  This show deserves all the exposure and praise it can get.  

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#42Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/21/19 at 9:31pm

In case anyone is interested, I came across this article about Fiddler today.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fiddler-on-the-roof-in-yiddish-brings-new-life-to-classic-broadway-show/

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/22/19 at 10:30am

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it.  I would see it again. 

Just give the world Love.

RWPrincess
#44Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/22/19 at 11:58am

I saw this last month via the TodayTix rush. I was in Row B all the way house left. There was a slight obstruction of the supertitles but I could read the ones on the opposite side of the stage. I could have moved but I was enjoying chatting with the folks in my row. The theater was also about 60% full when I went and the rush was easy to get late in the day. Not sure if that is still the case.

I did notice a large Fiddler sign on 44th St last night so glad to see some area promotion for the show. 

Zion24
#45Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 3/31/19 at 10:09pm

saw tonight's Yiddler. wow.

ive seen two broadway productions of this, and grew up on the movie (and with relatives who were born/raised in Yiddish...) and i expected this to be a fine production with an interesting angle/shtick in that they were talking in Yiddish. 

but it was brilliant. all the awards to Joel Grey for creating such an authentic production- there were little moments here and there that are probably lost on many theatergoers but spring right out of orthodox judaism in such an organic, natural way. It somehow flew by, even though they didnt cut a single word.

i was disappointed that jackie hoffman sorta faded into the background for me, but i dont think thats a slight against her- Steven Skybell and Jennifer Babiak are giving such full, perfect performances, its hard to focus anywhere else. Skybell was heartbreaking and charming from the jump, and didnt stop for one second for three full hours. There were certain numbers that they didnt really stage much (Do You Love Me, Far from the Home I Love) but the actors elevated the material in ways i was simply not expecting. I was really speechless at multiple points throughout the evening.

theater was full, though not entirely. not sure why they arent offering this show on TDF or discounts on TodayTix or what not. but i certainly recommend seeing it. I didnt mind the 2004 revival, and enjoyed many pieces of the 2015 one, but this is such a great lesson that simplicity and authenticity can outshine big, expensive productions when done right. again, all the awards for Grey and Skybell.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#46Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 4/1/19 at 2:19pm

I was there last night as well, for my fourth time. I always liked Fiddler, having seen it with Harry Goz in the original production and also seeing Alfred Molina and,when he left, Harvey Fierstein (a production that didn't do well with the critics or audiences but I liked both actors in it). I never listened much to the cast album either. But this production, and I am surprised myself, takes my breath away. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#47Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk
Posted: 4/1/19 at 3:10pm

Harry Goz was my first Broadway Fiddler as well :Fiddler in Yiddish - 92Y Talk, back in 1966 or '67.

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#48Fiddler in Yiddish Reviews
Posted: 4/28/19 at 4:17pm

Finally caught this.

Fiddler has always been one of my favorite musicals. I've been hearing that this production was revolutionary and, honestly, at first I couldn't tell why. I was somewhat disappointed at first by what appeared to be a kind of amateurish simplicity. I did not care for the design at all. However, very quickly I saw what was so special about this production, Steven Skybell. He IS Tevye. He's giving the performance of the year. I kind of wish this would move to Broadway. Circle in the Square would be perfect for this. You could easily adjust this staging for the round and then project the subtitles on all four sides of the stage. I wish Skybell was eligible for the Tony because I think he should be winning. Just a brilliant performance from top to bottom. Grab a ticket to this beautiful musical.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#49Fiddler in Yiddish Reviews
Posted: 4/28/19 at 4:30pm

I agree that Skybell is an amazing Tevye. However, the entire cast was on fire the night I saw it. I also admired the minimal yet effective set. I saw the touring musical last week performing on a network television talk show. Granted it was on a television set, but It was night-and-day different from what’s happening at Stage 42 and not in a good way. Most distracting was the modern choreography or at least one ensemble member who seemed to think he was auditioning for Bob Fosse.