pixeltracker

Gary: A Sequel To Titus Andronicus Previews - Page 11

Gary: A Sequel To Titus Andronicus Previews

MikeK3 Profile Photo
MikeK3
#250Interesting
Posted: 4/5/19 at 11:25pm

Kad said: "Sauja captured my thoughts on this very well.

This is a work I'd really like to read. The text is often funny, sometimes beautiful, and full of ideas- but the production is so full of, well, a lot of things, so I feel like I wasn't able to fully process what Mac was actually saying.

It is undeniably characteristic of Taylor Mac, though, who takes a throw-it-all-in approach and has no fear of failure.
"

Thank you Mac. Thank you Sauja.

I have no idea what "Gary" is doing on Broadway, but once in a while an odd thing happens, and I'm glad I was there to see it.  To see this strange meditation on genre, class, and what-have-you, done up in a SANTO LOQUASTO scenic design, for chrissakes, and with this stellar cast...it does one's heart good to see that,art...sorry, ART, is still a thing on Broadway.

Yes, Mac, you're right. There was far more to process in that that hundred minutes than my poor brain could handle. I can't wait to pore over the printed text--but in the meantime, could someone remind me of the the final words of the play?  I didn't know at the time that they were the final words, but they were very touching, and if someone can jog my memory I would appreciate it. This may require one of those SPOILER ALERT boxes (which is way above my BroadwayWorld pay grade),

MikeK3 Profile Photo
MikeK3
#251Interesting
Posted: 4/5/19 at 11:31pm

Sorry Kad...I typed Mac, I meant Kad. Guess I had judy on my mind.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#252Interesting
Posted: 4/10/19 at 7:29pm

Anyone been to the show recently? Looking for more reviews and opinions. Any updates on Rush tickets, and what it might be like mid-July on a Sunday?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#253Interesting
Posted: 4/10/19 at 11:55pm

dmwnc1959 said: "Any updates on Rush tickets, and what it might be like mid-July on a Sunday?"

Warmer?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#254Interesting
Posted: 4/11/19 at 8:47am

I walk by the theatre every morning at about 9:30AM and I have never seen more than 2 people in line on any given day. That could change as the weather warms up, but I imagine this will remain a pretty easy show to rush throughout its limited run.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

broadwayrocks2
#255Interesting
Posted: 4/11/19 at 9:09am

I saw the show very early on and recently ..

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#256Interesting
Posted: 4/11/19 at 9:43am

"dmwnc1959 said: "Any updates on Rush tickets, and what it might be like mid-July on a Sunday?"

haterobics saidWarmer?"

Had to laugh at this, reminded me of one of my favorite movie quotes:

Eugene: Man it’s hot. It’s like Africa hot. Tarzan couldn’t take this kind of hot.

- Biloxi Blues 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#257Interesting
Posted: 4/15/19 at 12:39am

I am really tempted to go back and see the changes. I have not seen a good deal of plays this season. I have only seen ALL MY SONS, THE FERRYMAN and GARY. (I plan to see INK). Of the plays I have seen i enjoyed Gary the most.

Just give the world Love.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#258Interesting
Posted: 4/15/19 at 8:08am

I was front row center for this yesterday. I loved it. Just have a drink before you go and enjoy it. I couldn’t stop smiling. The cast is having a ball. Julie White is fantastic. Hand her the Tony

NJGUY
#259Interesting
Posted: 4/15/19 at 10:48am

I saw it Thursday night with my 24 year old son and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.  Was supposed to go on 3/30 and got sick.  Our friends went on 3/30 and hated it.  Said it was one of the worst things they have ever seen.  I was expecting drek and was totally surprised and pleased.  They must have fixed something in the last two weeks, because it got a standing ovation and there were no walkout (we were in the back of the orchestra in the corner)-so had a full view of the Booth's orchestra seating.  My only complaint is that they had one ending too many and could have shaved five minutes off the end.  Other than that---great acting,set, production values.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#260Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/17/19 at 4:35pm

Oh, dear god, how we loved this. Im not sure what to make of the whole thing. But we had a great time!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#261Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/17/19 at 5:21pm

It sounds like the preview period really helped this show find it's footing. I wish I didn't see it so early!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#262Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/19/19 at 9:01am

I loved it. The opening gag was unexpected but hilarious. And when they opened to that set my jaw dropped! An almost spectacle at the booth? Never would I have thought. The play manages to find the perfect balance between low comedy humour/gags while also having something important to say about the mechanisms of social change. It’s also as if Nathan Lane’s character is commenting on his real life career aspirations - low comedian who wants to be ‘promoted’ to more dramatic roles so he can actually have an impact on the world (CF. His transition from musical comedy to Angels in America). The language was really interesting and clever at times. The show also has a lot of heart. Incredible acting from all 3 actors (even if it is a little broad - though I was sitting up close). The two leads in particular each manage to get their fair share of meaty scenes.

I can’t help but think if things would have been elevated to a new level with Andrea Martin, but the actor who in keeping with the story was also ironically promoted to a role that has a bit more impact/commentary/influence is so good that it was much easier to forget this than dwell on it.

Really hoping things can pick up a little and they can snag some positive reviews. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life. So quirky and interesting.

At one point I was considering throwing this ticket away due to the mediocre buzz/sales and dropping out of Andrea Martin, but I’m so glad I didn’t.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/19/19 at 09:01 AM

dramamama611
#263Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/19/19 at 12:29pm

I, too, was thinking about Martin. I love her and was sad when she had to drop out. While Im sure she would have been both different and wonderful, I just can't picture it!

To expand on my minimalist comments above let me say thank you to TDF for our row C seats!

All three performances were outstanding. Id be happy if all of them recd noms.

Now, I can redact my comment about not making anything out of it...as now, it seems crystal clear. I was so wrapped up in the show it wasnt obvious in the moment. (To me)

Is it for everyone? No, Im sure its not. While I didnt see any walk outs, if it had had an intermission (didnt need one, btw), I'd be shocked if it didnt happen daily. I certainly noticed uncomfortable people.

I look forward to more from Taylor Mac (this is the 2nd piece Ive seen). Such a unique voice!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#264Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/19/19 at 12:36pm

Are there other actors in the show besides those three? I've seen video of folks in costume but I don't know if they're movement only...

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

binau Profile Photo
binau
#265Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/19/19 at 12:42pm

There are other actors but it’s kind of part of the surprise. (No speaking lines/movement only though). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/19/19 at 12:42 PM

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#266Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/20/19 at 7:00pm

Well the new promo video on their Twitter certainly shows the r rating of the show... leaving you no questions of what you’re getting into although I’m sure it gets even more absurd. Might try this one someday

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#267Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/20/19 at 7:55pm

Bwahahaha!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#268Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/20/19 at 8:08pm

That pic and those trailers make want to see this. Sadly, it’s doubtful I’ll make it back before it closes.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#269Bwahahaha!
Posted: 4/20/19 at 8:24pm

Knowing what all of you know from what you had read and seen of these three shows, which would you see...

- Tootsie
- Gary
- King Kong

Updated On: 4/20/19 at 08:24 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#270Gary
Posted: 4/20/19 at 8:28pm

I haven’t seen any of them, but I’d still rank Tootsie highest followed by Gary and then King Kong way below that. I would like to see the puppet but I’m not willing to give up a slot on my next trip to see it instead of something else I would most probably like better

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#271Gary
Posted: 4/20/19 at 8:29pm

I’d choose Gary but I know the person I’m going with would prefer tootsie

dramamama611
#272Gary
Posted: 4/20/19 at 8:44pm

In this order:

Gary.
Tootsie.

King Kong.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#273Gary
Posted: 4/20/19 at 9:20pm

So, King Kong it is then!!! 

Just kidding. lol Gary

I’m in the same predicament as what Miles2Go2 described: Tootsie may very well be around for a year or more, but since Gary closes in August it’s hard not to want to see it while it’s still available. But even if Tootsie is still around in the Summer of 2020, Santino Fontana may be long gone by then.

Decisions, decisons. 

Updated On: 4/20/19 at 09:20 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#274Gary
Posted: 4/20/19 at 9:39pm

It would be a difficult decision. If awards matter to you, would you rather see a musical that will likely pick up a few awards (lead actor, book) at the Tony Awards or a play that will likely only be frontrunner for set design. The play appears to be a little all over all the place. Will that bother you? Have you ever seen Lane live before? If so, would you be okay waiting until you see him in something else? I know you’re sold on Beetlejuice, but I’d scrap it and see both of these over it, but you definitely should see what you want. Just my two cents.