pixeltracker

Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread- Page 3

Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread

MadsonMelo
#50Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/12/19 at 11:21am

I'm not ready to see Laura Linney losing for a fifth time, give this woman a Tony!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#51Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/20/19 at 9:24pm

BEST MUSICAL

Moulin Rouge

Jagged Little Pill

Girl from the North Country

Flying Over Sunset

*Almost Famous or SIX?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#52Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 3:16am

I'm interested to see who they cast in the Mare Winningham/Shirley Henderson role in The Girl From the North Country. It's the kind of role that could attract a big star and the show probably needs just that.

BWAY Baby2
#53Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 7:44am

• In London, Adrienne Warren did not win the Olivier Award for Best Musical Female Performance- Sharon Clarke from Caroline Or Chanage did. Could be a real knock down drag out at the Tony's- Adrienne was simply incredible as Tina- have rarely seen such a star performance- can she be overlooked again?  

OLIVIER AWARDS----BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

Sharon D Clarke for Caroline, Or Change at Playhouse Theatre
    Rosalie Craig for Company at Gielgud Theatre
    Kelli O'Hara for The King And I at The London Palladium
    Adrienne Warren for Tina - The Tina Turner Musical at Aldwych Theatre

Updated On: 8/21/19 at 07:44 AM

MadsonMelo
#54Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 9:16am

How funny is that we are likely getting 3 roles from this year's Olivier Awards battling out for the Tony next year?

And we're not even counting SIX, what a load of West End transfers!

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#55Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 9:43am

And The Lehman Trilogy still hasn't announced yet. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#56Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 9:54am

Mike Barrett said: "And The Lehman Trilogy still hasn't announced yet."

IIRC, the prevailing rumor was that Lehman Trilogy was going into the Beaumont. But with the Beaumont now booked for both the fall and the Spring, I can't help but wonder if something fell through with Lehman, and it's not transferring after all. 

Rainah
#57Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 11:18am

How's best actor looking? Isaac Powell and Tveit are contenders I imagine

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#58Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 11:37am

Rainah said: "How's best actor looking? Isaac Powell and Tveit are contenders I imagine"

On paper it's shaping up to be a pretty weak category this year, if only just because of the roles themselves.

I thought Tveit was underwhelming, personally, but realistically I could see him getting a nomination. Powell is in a good position right now, with such an iconic leading role. I wasn't wowed by his acting in Once On This Island, but I look forward to seeing what he does with Tony.

Too early to say whether Harry Hadden-Paton and Tony Yazbeck will be leading or featured in Flying Over Sunset, or whether the roles will be meaty enough to get them in. But both are established talents, and if one or both of them is considered leading, they may both get in. 

Maybe the kid from Caroline, or Change? Based on the cast recording it seems like he is a co-lead with Caroline, but that might be deceiving. Anyone know how he was placed in the original? I see he wasn't nominated. 

I'm not familiar enough with Tina, Diana, or Jagged Little Pill to know if there is a significant male leading role in any of them. But I get the sense they are all pretty female-led.  

Girl From the North Country doesn't really have a male lead, as it's mostly an ensemble piece. Maybe they could put actor playing Nick in leading, but I don't know if it's strong enough to get nominated. And if they cast Stephen Bogardus, I doubt he'll get in - personally I thought he was the weak link in the cast at the Public. 

And then Six obviously isn't eligible here, and neither would Company be if/when it transfers. 

(Chris McCarrell is in there too, though I pray they don't nominate him)

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#59Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 11:50am

JBroadway said: "Rainah said: "How's best actor looking? Isaac Powell and Tveit are contenders I imagine"

On paper it's shaping up to be a pretty weak category this year, if only just because of the roles themselves.

I thought Tveit was underwhelming, personally, but realisticallyI could see him getting a nomination. Powell is in a good position right now, with such an iconic leading role. I wasn't wowed by his acting in Once On This Island, but I look forward to seeing what he does with Tony.

Too early to say whether Harry Hadden-Paton and Tony Yazbeck will be leading or featured in Flying Over Sunset, or whether the roles will be meaty enough to get them in. But both are established talents, and if one or both of them is considered leading, they may both get in.

Maybe the kid from Caroline, or Change? Based on the cast recording it seems like he is a co-lead with Caroline, but that might be deceiving. Anyone know how he was placedin the original? I see he wasn't nominated.

I'm not familiar enough with Tina, Diana, or Jagged Little Pill to know if there is a significantmale leading role in any of them. But I get the sense they are all pretty female-led.

Girl From the North Country doesn't really have a male lead, as it's mostly an ensemble piece. Maybe they could put actor playing Nick in leading, but I don't know if it's strong enough to get nominated. And if they cast Stephen Bogardus, I doubt he'll get in - personally I thought he was the weak link in the cast at the Public.

And then Six obviously isn't eligible here, and neither wouldCompany be if/when it transfers.

(Chris McCarrell is in there too, though I pray they don't nominate him)

"

The guy who played Ike in Tina on the West End won the Olivier this year, so don't count out Daniel J. Watts.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#60Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/21/19 at 11:53am

little_sally said: "The guy who played Ike in Tina on the West End won the Olivier this year, so don't count out Daniel J. Watts."

Good to know! 

Wayman_Wong
#61Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 8/22/19 at 1:12am

''Powell is in a good position .. with an iconic leading role.''

Isaac Powell's role of Tony is iconic, but in terms of Tonys, it's been a thankless one. Among the handful of Broadway productions, the actresses playing Maria (Carol Lawrence, Jossie de Guzman, Josephina Scaglione) and Anita (Debbie Allen, Karen Olivo) have gotten Tony nominations, but the actors playing Tony (Larry Kert, Matt Cavenaugh) have never been singled out. Maybe Powell will be the first to break out.

''I thought Tveit was underwhelming, personally, but realistically I could see him getting a nomination.''

To me, Tveit is terrific in ''Moulin Rouge!,'' tackling a sizable role with such vocal demands. (It's possible that he sings even more than Olivo, his leading lady.) Plus, he's overdue for Tony recognition, having been passed over in the past for ''Catch Me If You Can'' and, most notably, ''Next to Normal'' (he was the only member of Diana's family NOT to get a Tony nomination). This time around, Tveit has gotten his share of acclaim. Ben Brantley of the N.Y. Times raved that Christian in ''Moulin Rouge!'' was a role Tveit was ''born to play.''

''The guy who played Ike in 'Tina' on the West End won the Olivier this year, so don't count out Daniel J. Watts.''

For the record, that guy was Kobna Holdbrook-Smith.

Updated On: 8/22/19 at 01:12 AM

Mike Barrett
#62Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 10:08am

We have a bit more of an idea of what is coming in this season, so I think its time for some too early predictions for some fun :) Im staying out of acting categories as thats just so hard to choose. 

BEST PLAY: 

Blue 

The Inheritance 

The Great Society 

The Lehman Trilogy 

Slave Play 

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY:  

How I Learned To Drive 

Take Me Out 

Plaza Suite 

A Soldier's Play 

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolfe 

BEST MUSICAL: 

A Girl From The North Country 

Flying Over Sunset 

Jagged Little Pill 

Moulin Rouge! 

Six 

BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL: 

Caroline or Change 

Company 

West Side Story 

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#63Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 10:22am

Interesting that few are counting Tina in the Best Musical race. I saw it again in London last week and even without Warren I found it to be a great musical.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#64Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 10:38am

Mike Barrett said: "
BEST PLAY:

Blue

The Inheritance

The Great Society

The Lehman Trilogy

Slave Play"

"Blue" will almost certainly be considered a revival under the "classics rule." It premiered Off-Broadway almost 20 years ago. 

I wouldn't count out The Sound Inside. Many people seem to be overlooking it, but the raves on this board have been pretty much unanimous, and I suspect critics and Tony voters will feel the same. I don't think it has a chance at winning, but I definitely think it can get nominated. I also wouldn't be surprised if Great Society gets knocked out of the race. 

Mike Barrett
#65Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 10:41am

JBroadway said: "Mike Barrett said: "
BEST PLAY:

Blue

The Inheritance

The Great Society

The Lehman Trilogy

Slave Play"

"Blue" will almost certainly be considered a revival under the "classics rule." It premiered Off-Broadway almost 20 years ago.

I wouldn't count out The Sound Inside. Many people seem to be overlooking it, but the raves on this board have been pretty much unanimous, and I suspect critics and Tony voters will feel the same. I don't think it has a chance at winning, but I definitely think it can get nominated. I also wouldn't be surprised if Great Society gets knocked out of the race.
"

Ah, wasn't aware Blue had played off broadway before. Id put The Sound Inside then for sure. Going to be the year of MLP for straight play goers this season! Really hoping to catch that one. 

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#66Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 11:25am

Unless another new musical is announced (which, of course, is totally possible), there will be only four nominees for best musical this year, not five. The Tony rules and regulations state that there shall be five nominees only if there are nine eligible productions for nomination in a specific category, and only eight new musicals have been announced thus far.

Mike Barrett
#67Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 12:21pm

BroadwayGuy12 said: "Unless another new musical is announced (which, of course, is totally possible), there will be only four nominees for best musical this year, not five. The Tony rules and regulations state that there shall be five nominees only if there are nine eligible productions for nomination in a specific category, and only eight new musicals have been announced thus far."

Hm, I Likely miscounted. Circle In The Square is rumored to be open for the spring, and I doubt OK closes. Could very well happen there but who knows. I thought Sing Street was a confirmed transfer? May have misread 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#68Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 12:34pm

Mike Barrett said: "Hm, I Likely miscounted. Circle In The Square is rumored to be open for the spring, and I doubt OK closes. Could very well happen there but who knows. I thought Sing Street was a confirmed transfer? May have misread"

Oklahoma is a limited run scheduled to close in January, and the sales are not strong enough to warrant any further extension.

And Sing Street is far from a confirmed transfer. Basically all we know is that Riedel said they WANT to transfer. 

Mike Barrett
#69Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 12:49pm

JBroadway said: "Mike Barrett said: "Hm, I Likely miscounted. Circle In The Square is rumored to be open for the spring, and I doubt OK closes. Could very well happen there but who knows. I thought Sing Street was a confirmed transfer? May have misread"

Oklahoma is a limited run scheduled to close in January, and the sales are not strong enough to warrant any further extension.

And Sing Street is far from a confirmed transfer. Basically all we know is that Riedel said theyWANT to transfer.

"

Totally misread about Sing Street. Premiering at NYTW can't be a bad thing for its hopes however. CITS I think is just rumored to not have a new tenant lined up. Definitely aware of OK's closing date. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#70Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/8/19 at 1:45pm

Yeah there's no way The Great Society makes it into Best Play with those reviews. As of now, The Sound Inside is definitely ahead of it. But we also don't know much about what those spring plays like Birthday candles or My Name is Lucy Barton will bring to the table. 

There's also the rumor that they are finally transferring Tracy Letts' The Minutes, which would add a contender to the mix.

And I do believe there will be at least one more musical this season, which could get us to enough eligible shows for 5 nominees. Mrs. Doubtfire should be arriving in the spring. Almost Famous really WANTS to come in this spring, but needs something to close so it can get a theater. And there is that surprising rumor that KPOP might be looking to re-conceive itself so it can play in CITS. The later two shows may not come to fruition in time for this season, but Mrs Doubtfire is def on the way. 

Sebwith09
#71Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:45pm

Best Musical: Six

Best Original Score: Six

Best Lighting Design: Moulin Rouge

Best Costume Design: Moulin Rouge or Six

Best Set Design: Moulin Rouge

Best Lead Actor (Musical): Issac Powell (West Side Story)

Best Leading Actress (Musical): Kimber Sprawl (Girl from the North Country) or Katrina Lenk (Company)

Best Supporting Actor (Musical): TBA

Best Supporting Actress (Musical): Patti Lupone (Company)

Best Revival of a Musical: West Side Story or Caroline or Change

Best Orchestrations: West Side Story or Girl from the North Country

(Excluding Musicals that haven't been released, but planned for 2020 season, such as 'Mrs Doubtfire'Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#72Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/29/19 at 12:33am

BEST MUSICAL

MOULIN ROUGE 

Girl from North Country

Mrs. Doubfire

Tina

Six

BEST PLAY

THE INHERITANCE

The Lehman Trilogy

Slave Play

The Sound Inside

The Minutes (if it transfers)

BEST REVIVAL PLAY

HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE 

Take Me Out

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf

Betrayal 

American Buffalo

BEST REVIVAL MUSICAL

COMPANY 

West Side Story

Caroline, or Change

BEST ACTOR, MUSICAL - Rob McClure, Mrs. Doubtfire

BEST ACTOR, PLAY - Kyle Soler, The Inheritance 

BEST ACTRESS, MUSICAL - Sharon D. Clark, Caroline or Change

BEST ACTRESS, PLAY - Mary Louise Parker, How I Learned to Drive

BEST FEAT. ACTOR, MUSICAL - Danny Burstein, Moulin Rouge

BEST FEAT. ACTOR, PLAY - Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Take Me Out

BEST FEAT. ACTRESS, MUSICAL - Patty Lupone,  Company

BEST FEAT. ACTRESS, PLAY - Joaquina Kalukango, Slave Play

BEST DIRECTOR, PLAY - Stephen Daldry, The Inheritance

BEST DIRECTOR, MUSICAL  - Alex Timbers, Moulin Rouge

BEST BOOK - GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY

BEST SCORE - SIX

BEST ORCHESTRATIONS - GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY - MOULIN ROUGE

BEST SET DESIGN

PLAY        - A CHRISTMAS CAROL

MUSICAL - MOULIN ROUGE

BEST LIGHTING DESIGN

PLAY        - THE SOUND INSIDE 

MUSICAL - MOULIN ROUGE

BEST SOUND DESIGN

MUSICAL - MOULIN ROUGE

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

MUSICAL - MOULIN ROUGE

Updated On: 10/29/19 at 12:33 AM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#73Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/29/19 at 11:06am

The idea of Moulin Rouge winning Best Musical absolutely horrified me. Y’all wanna talk about how much you hate Vegas/Theme Park shows on Broadway, but award this mediocre juggernaut because you like the movie and it’s pretty to look at it? Oof.

JSquared2
#74Way Too Early 2020 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 10/29/19 at 11:08am

Markie27 said: "BEST MUSICAL

MOULIN ROUGE

Girl from North Country

Mrs. Doubfire

Tina

Six

BEST PLAY

THE INHERITANCE

The Lehman Trilogy

Slave Play

The Sound Inside

The Minutes (if it transfers)

BEST REVIVAL PLAY

HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE

Take Me Out

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf

Betrayal

American Buffalo

BEST REVIVAL MUSICAL

COMPANY

West Side Story

Caroline, or Change

BEST ACTOR, MUSICAL - Rob McClure, Mrs. Doubtfire

BEST ACTOR, PLAY - Kyle Soler, The Inheritance

BEST ACTRESS, MUSICAL - Sharon D. Clark, Caroline or Change

BEST ACTRESS, PLAY - Mary Louise Parker, How I Learned to Drive

BEST FEAT. ACTOR, MUSICAL - Danny Burstein, Moulin Rouge

BEST FEAT. ACTOR, PLAY - Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Take Me Out

BEST FEAT. ACTRESS, MUSICAL - Patty Lupone, Company

BEST FEAT. ACTRESS, PLAY - Joaquina Kalukango, Slave Play

BEST DIRECTOR, PLAY - Stephen Daldry, The Inheritance

BEST DIRECTOR, MUSICAL - Alex Timbers, Moulin Rouge

BEST BOOK - GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY

BEST SCORE - SIX

BEST ORCHESTRATIONS - GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY - MOULIN ROUGE

BEST SET DESIGN

PLAY - A CHRISTMAS CAROL

MUSICAL - MOULIN ROUGE

BEST LIGHTING DESIGN

PLAY - THE SOUND INSIDE

MUSICAL - MOULIN ROUGE

BEST SOUND DESIGN

PLAY - A CHRISTMAS CAROL

MUSICAL - MOULIN ROUGE

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

PLAY - A CHRISTMAS CAROL

MUSICAL - MOULIN ROUGE
"

Seems kind of silly to be predicting winners from shows that haven't even started rehearsals yet.