Camp Morning Wood

perfectliar
#1Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/13/19 at 2:20pm

Has anyone else seen it? I went last night, and it's not great but it is really entertaining. They clearly went for a so-bad-it's-good, Rocky Horror kind of vibe (including direct references to "Over at the Frankenstein Place" and the "Brad! Janet! Rocky! Dr. Scott!" scene), and they succeeded. Despite some boilerplate music, overstuffed lyrical phrases, and sound mixing issues, I laughed a lot and had a total blast.

Oh, and yeah... the entirely-male cast is naked for most of the show. There are some good deals out there (and some odd show times, like 5:30 on Saturday and Sunday, that could make it fit into a three-show day for travelers).

Updated On: 6/13/19 at 02:20 PM

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#2Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/13/19 at 2:21pm

My friend Sean is in it. Checking it out next week

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#3Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/14/19 at 4:44am

YvanEhtNioj said: "My friend Sean is in it. Checking it out next week"

Ticket master says Event Cancelled.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#4Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/14/19 at 7:49am

The show had a last minute venue change from The Theater Center (selling through Ticketmaster) to the Peter Jay Sharp Theater at Playwrights Horizons (selling through Ticket Central), which is why the event is listed as cancelled on Ticketmaster.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#5Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/16/19 at 11:00am

Seeing this the 29th at 5:30 pm (making mine one of those aforementioned 3 show days). A friend contributed songs to the show so I am excited to get to hear his work! Looking forward to it. Wonder if it will transfer somewhere for a longer run after July.

Anyone else already seen it? Thoughts?

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/3/21 at 4:16pm

It's back this year. I was given a ticket to see it. First performance is tomorrow night at 9:30 at Asylum Theater.

https://campmorningwoodthemusical.com/?fbclid=IwAR2AyYuWXnM8_FN5uElQ3ztZNHQBbekXnD1KcOdQ5dZvZ1w95Pdp4dtXesI

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/3/21 at 04:16 PM

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#7Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/4/21 at 9:22pm

any chance this will get extended?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/5/21 at 1:05am

I attended their first performance tonight (Now actually last night, Friday)

It's cute and very campy. (Pardon the pun). I will say off the bat that they could have benefited with some sort of miking. But mic packs were not really an option. This production used piped in music as opposed to the small band they had last time. (Was told about the band as this was my first time seeing it) I think the piped in music may have contributed to some of the pitchiness and off notes. They had to project to all three sides of the theater. And some of the songs were just out of some of the actors' range.

With that said, it was a fun night. It is very obviously updated from the last production due to a lot of the one liners. And there are some good ones. The songs are cute and pretty much serve the story. They throw just about everything out there including body types (And the cast represents different types), religion, politics, race, looks, body appearance, bitchy queens, acceptance and finding love.

The main thing is that they all appeared to be having a great time and that really worked with the show. And for theater fans there are some in jokes, one that came out of nowhere and you knew who was in the know in the theater when it was said. And it was a riot. Also a nod to a very "popular" musical and a few others.

Also, they are requiring all patrons to be vaccinated and you have to show your card or your NY Pass when you arrive. Once inside they tell you that masks are optional. I saw one person keep their mask on. I think my friend told me that all staff and production are also fully vaccinated. 

They are also doing a digital Playbill. There is a sign to the right when you enter the theater with a QR code so you can download it. 

If you see it, grab a cocktail and just let go for 90 minutes and you will have fun. I would honestly see it again. We need a little fun and camp after this past year!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#9Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/16/21 at 12:33pm

Just bumping this in case anyone else has seen the show recently. 

I'm still on the fence but might see this show next week.

perfectliar
#10Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/17/21 at 10:57am

Seems like it was rewritten since 2019, or at least condensed its casting for COVID.

Also surprised to hear the review of sound issues. They wore mics during the last iteration.

Alex Kulak2
#11Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/17/21 at 1:07pm

perfectliar said: "Seems like it was rewritten since 2019, or at least condensed its casting for COVID.

Also surprised to hear the review of sound issues. They wore mics during the last iteration.
"

...Where did they put the mic packs?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#12Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/17/21 at 1:19pm

perfectliar, I don't think they condensed for Covid. They kind of streamlined the story. They took the boyfriend out but I was told that it didn't affect the story line as a whole.

Alex Kulak2, there were no mic packs or mics. 

They have also extended through July 1st.

JSquared2
#13Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/17/21 at 2:09pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "perfectliar said: "Seems like it was rewritten since 2019, or at least condensed its casting for COVID.

"

"

You don't want to know -- let;s just say the stage hand in charge of them needed a pair of latex gloves and a tube of KY".

Alex Kulak2
#14Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/17/21 at 3:25pm

JSquared2 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "perfectliar said: "Seems like it was rewritten since 2019, or at least condensed its casting for COVID.

"

"

You don't want to know -- let;s just say the stage hand in charge of them needed a pair of latex gloves and a tube of KY".
"

The things some people will do for an Equity Card.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/17/21 at 8:29pm

They aren't even getting their Equity card or points. They get $100 per show. Oof. 

perfectliar
#16Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/17/21 at 10:55pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "perfectliar said: "Seems like it was rewritten since 2019, or at least condensed its casting for COVID.

"

"

Mic belts.

I don't see anyone listed as playing the politician. Is that story gone too?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/18/21 at 2:24am

perfectliar said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "perfectliar said: "Seems like it was rewritten since 2019, or at least condensed its casting for COVID.

"

"

Mic belts.

I don't see anyone listed as playing the politician. Is that story gone too?
"

Do you mean the guy who is building the mega church or Christian facility thing? 

Poconopanther
#18Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/20/21 at 7:33pm

Saw the 5:30PM show last night. They checked for proof of vaccination prior to allowing audiences members into the theater. Although not sold-out, there were very few empty seats. They started on time and most of the sound challenges mentioned above were fixed as the actors all wore microphones. 

This show is nothing short of adorable! Each of the actors deserved kudos as the performance was very enjoyable! It was a great re-introduction to crowds and theater. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#19Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/24/21 at 1:07am

I second Poconopanther. 

I watched this show with friends a few hours ago as our pride event for the week and it was indeed adorable! This was the first time I watched live theater in person since the pandemic and it was great. Yes it was campy but also endearing, funny, and overall I was entertained.

All of them wore microphones (box in a small backpack they wore) and the theater is small. It is general admission seating and somehow there was this column in the center that can block some views if you sit in the center.

Show closes July 1st. Check out their instagram for more information! They checked proof of vaccination and wearing masks indoors were optional (I'd say most of the audience did not wear a mask and roughly 5-7 people did wear a mask.)

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#20Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 6/24/21 at 9:42am

Poconopanther said: "Saw the 5:30PM show last night. They checked for proof of vaccination prior to allowing audiences members into the theater. Although not sold-out, there were very few empty seats.They started on time and most of the sound challenges mentioned above were fixed as the actors all wore microphones.

This show is nothing short of adorable! Each of the actors deserved kudos as the performance was very enjoyable! It was a great re-introduction to crowds and theater.

"

Have zero chance of seeing the show--though it sounds wonderful--but curious how they are checking for proof of vaccination--and I didn't think businesses were allowed to do that.

Updated On: 6/24/21 at 09:42 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#21Camp Morning Wood
Posted: 7/7/21 at 11:07am

Wow just saw an ad this off-off-bway show got extended through August! 

https://campmorningwoodthemusical.com/

Only $37.50 general admission. If you're in NYC at some point this summer, check out this musical for a fun evening out!