pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:09pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 6/23/2019 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: PRETTY WOMAN: THE MUSICAL (10.1%), WAITRESS (8.6%), THE FERRYMAN (6.6%), BE MORE CHILL (6.5%), MY FAIR LADY (6.3%), KISS ME, KATE (6%), THE PROM (5.8%), BURN THIS (5.6%), FROZEN (4.6%), THE CHER SHOW (3.8%), HILLARY AND CLINTON (3.1%), FRANKIE AND JOHNNY IN THE CLAIR DE LUNE (3%), TOOTSIE (2.8%), MEAN GIRLS (2.8%), KING KONG (1.6%), BEETLEJUICE (1.5%), ALL MY SONS (1.5%), WHAT THE CONSTITUTION MEANS TO ME (1%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (0.9%), WICKED (0.8%), ALADDIN (0.6%), COME FROM AWAY (0.3%), TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (0.2%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance was: BEAUTIFUL (-6.3%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-4.1%), OKLAHOMA! (-3.7%), INK (-0.7%), CHICAGO (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:21pm

Well, the Prom did have good grosses this particular week.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:22pm

The happiest story of the past few months for me has been the success of What the Constitution Means to Me. It felt like a really risky bet to move it to Broadway even with (or maybe especially after) two successful off-Broadway runs. I'll be so interested to hear if it does indeed end up touring without Schreck, but I also hope that the show is recorded for release. Feels like it would make a pretty spectacular Netflix special in my opinion.

After Eight
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:40pm

"The happiest story of the past few months for me has been the success of What the Constitution Means to Me. It felt like a really risky bet to move it to Broadway even with (or maybe especially after) two successful off-Broadway runs."

It was the safest bet in the world.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:49pm

After Eight said: ""The happiest story of the past few months for me has been the success of What the Constitution Means to Me. It felt like a really risky bet to move it to Broadway even with (or maybe especially after) two successful off-Broadway runs."

It was the safest bet in the world."

It was not. It's obvious to you that anything you dislike and anything with liberal values will "obviously" be praised and "obviously" be successful. We get it. You hate it. It's yet another property to drag through your cynicism and misanthropy. But it was never a safe bet. A largely one woman show finding the potential for hope in our current political climate with zero stars? Heck, just a couple blocks up, we had a gender non-binary playwright whose hugely liberal play Gary was also wildly praised AND had stars, but that didn't succeed. And I haven't looked to find your opinion on it, but one can only imagine you hated that as well. So if it's not just politics and it's not just star-power, then what is it? I look forward to your reductive, thoughtless, cynical response.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:49pm

After Eight said: "It was the safest bet in the world."

Has there ever been a safe bet on Broadway? While I haven't seen WTCMTM, it seems very different from most plays on Broadway (like is there any plays similar to it?), that seems like it could have bombed just as easily as it's successed. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:50pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Well, the Prom did have good grosses this particular week."

Agreed. Since it's World Pride week in NYC, hopefully the Prom will have better grosses this week!

After Eight
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:58pm

"Has there ever been a safe bet on Broadway?"

Yes. Once, Hamilton,  Fun Home, The Band's Visit, Hadestown, this thing. Critics' darlings, each and every one. Success a foregone conclusion.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:59pm

Grosses are finally rising. Hello, Summer!

johnmichael
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 3:59pm

Are you for real? 

Updated On: 6/24/19 at 03:59 PM

alovingfan Profile Photo
alovingfan
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:00pm

I can't believe how much Frankie and Johhny is struggling.  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19

johnmichael said: "Are you for real?!"

No, he is not.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19

I realise it's nothing to be concerned about yet (lol) but interesting Oklahoma had a few spare seats this week. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:05pm

After Eight said: ""Has there ever been a safe bet on Broadway?"

Yes. Once, Hamilton,Fun Home, The Band's Visit, Hadestown, this thing. Critics' darlings, each andevery one. Success a foregone conclusion.
"

The Band's Visit and Fun Home had two of the shortest runs of Tony winners for Best Musicals in history. Not to mention that if either one (or Once for that matter) had lost the Tony, they would have been dead in the water. Your argument holds no weight. Also critical darlings? The Angels in America revival that lost a ton of money. Will Eno's The Realistic Joneses which atrophied cash. Hillary and Clinton which just closed up its run yesterday after losing money hand over fist for weeks. You're cherry picking examples, and it's silly.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:08pm

I don't know why I'm letting this person get to me, but let's go for another example: Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet. Critics couldn't stop falling all over themselves praising it. Two hugely successful runs off-Broadway. By your estimation, "a sure thing." Guaranteed success. Closed at a massive loss. Didn't win any Tony's. Also, I assume, hated by you. So what's the difference? Calling things sure things AFTER they've succeeded isn't an art. If you actually had the stuff to make calls on what would be successful before they arrived, you surely missed your lucrative calling as a producer.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:09pm

Kad said: "johnmichael said: "Are you for real?!"

No, he is not.
"

Weird, you assuming I'm a male. Anyway, SHE was not for real. I assumed things would go crazy for some of these shows after kids got out of school...... I was mistaken. 

MannPhan24601
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:09pm

The Cher Show grossed higher with SJB out ??

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:12pm

Pose2 said: "Kad said: "johnmichael said: "Are you for real?!"

No, he is not.
"

Weird, you assuming I'm a male. Anyway, SHE was not for real. I assumed things would go crazy for some of these shows after kids got out of school......I was mistaken.
"

...I and the person I quoted were referring to After Eight.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:15pm

Of course that grump is for real. He actually believes what he is saying. 

johnmichael
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:18pm

Kad said: "Pose2 said: "Kad said: "johnmichael said: "Are you for real?!"

No, he is not.
"

Weird, you assuming I'm a male. Anyway, SHE was not for real. I assumed things would go crazy for some of these shows after kids got out of school......I was mistaken.
"

...I and the person I quoted were referring to After Eight.

"

Indeed I was 

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:22pm

My apologies. 

#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:33pm

Worth mentioning that To Kill a Mockingbird is now the first American play to gross over $2,000,000.00 in a single week of regular performances.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:34pm

MannPhan24601 said: "The Cher Show grossed higher with SJB out ??"

Trust me, tourists are not going to see The Cher Show for SJB. Tony-winning aside.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:41pm

Sauja said: "I don't know why I'm letting this person get to me, but let's go for another example: Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet. Critics couldn't stop falling all over themselves praising it. Two hugely successful runs off-Broadway. By your estimation, "a sure thing." Guaranteed success. Closed at a massive loss. Didn't win any Tony's. Also, I assume, hated by you. So what's the difference? Calling things sure things AFTER they've succeeded isn't an art. If you actually had the stuff to make calls on what would be successful before they arrived, you surely missed your lucrative calling as a producer."

I've had him blocked for years. Forget all about him until he shows up in someone quote. 

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 6/24/19 at 04:41 PM

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/19
Posted: 6/24/19 at 4:56pm

<<edited by BWW staff>>

Also, thrilled for a solid week for the Prom! Hoping they can have a nice summer before closing, I love that show so much.

Updated On: 6/24/19 at 04:56 PM