broadway stars on twitter

bwaywrldmember6853
#1broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 2:23am

This will most likely get deleted, but, broadway starts fighting with fans on twitter -- why? And why will nobody ever put anyone in their place? I am not even going to mention the name of the person who I most frequently see do this because I know this thread will then be deleted for certain, but tonight Rob McClure of all people went in on this girl for saying she wished she could take McClure's performance in Spamalot & combine it with Brian Darcy James voice and look. She didn't originally tag him in the tweet which means he searched his name. Is that really a warrant for a witch hunt & belittling of her grammar? It really rubbed me the wrong way this time & felt like bullying.

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#2broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 2:35am

You don’t say rude things about actors faces and expect them not to call you out. Don’t play the victim card when you comment on somebodys physical apperance. Just because you are an actor doesn't mean you can’t defend yourself.

magictodo123
#3broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 3:58am

People-but lately I’ve been noticing it most with people associated with “Stan twitter” think they can say anything to anyone because they’re this little niche on Twitter. They think they’re the top, that what they say is how it goes, that they can be rude and insulting and downright bully someone and it won’t matter. That the hurt they cause people is nothing. It’s truly pathetic and I wish they could be taught that is SO not the case and they DO hurt people.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 5:29am

Doesnt sound like McClure started anything. He's human...just like all of us here that go off on ridiculous things now and then.

And please stop confusing BULLYING with being an ***hole/being mean. They are not interchangeable.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 7/10/19 at 05:29 AM

VintageSnarker
#5broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 6:02am

I read the initial post. It just seems like she wanted to combine aspects of two actors' performances, not like she was insulting his looks. Not my opinion but it's like saying you wish you could combine Audrey Hepburn's performance of Eliza with Julie Andrews' voice. 

Also, while yes, all words out in the universe are available for anyone to see, I think it's a bad look to search for yourself. It's different if someone @s you or if they have a considerable following. But no, it's just some random person and the majority of people would have never seen the initial tweet. 

magictodo123
#6broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 7:40am

dramamama611 said: "Doesnt sound like McClure started anything. He's human...just like all of us here that go off on ridiculous things now and then.

And please stop confusing BULLYING with being an ***hole/being mean. They are not interchangeable.

"You're right. I really need to work on those definitions and difference before accusing anyone of anything. :/ 

Updated On: 7/10/19 at 07:40 AM

Fredrich Yeager
#7broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 8:34am

I've found more often than not that if someone can abuse twitter they will, but in this case I tend to side with Rob McClure. There's this expectation that artists have to take negative feedback without retaliation because to do otherwise would be childish and entitled, which was all fine and good before social media was a thing, but now people feel entitled to post some really hurtful stuff about celebrities on twitter, emboldened with the belief the celebs themselves won't find out about it, and it leads to some pretty toxic places. 

The original tweet wasn't the worst thing that could be possibly said, but the tweet specifically pointed out his face and was phrased in such a way that it was clearly negatively commenting on his appearance (and the original tweeter's later responses to him clarify that it was a dig at his appearance), and he has a right to be hurt and to point out that he can see everything people post about him on social media. While his comments about her grammar were a bit petty, I don't think anything he said constituted "going in on this girl".

I honestly wish more celebs pointed out that they can see all the stuff people post about them, especially if they're tagged. I remember right after the Tony's I was searching Santino Fontana's name on twitter (don't judge me, I'm a big fan, okay) and I found several tweets that he had been tagged in, saying that they hope his wife has a miscarriage. I remember just being appalled that someone would not only say such a thing but tag him in the tweet to make him read it. 

I think a lot of people on twitter would benefit from a reminder that everyone can see the hurtful words you post in a moment of anger, and hopefully Rob McClure's response will provide that reminder, if only temporarily.

Impossible2
#8broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 8:57am

Fredrich Yeager said: "I've found more often than not that if someone can abuse twitter they will, but in this case I tend to side with Rob McClure. There's this expectation that artists have to take negative feedback without retaliation because to do otherwise would be childish and entitled, which was all fine and good before social media was a thing, but now people feel entitled to post some really hurtful stuff about celebrities on twitter, emboldened with the belief the celebs themselves won't find out about it, and it leads to some pretty toxic places.

The original tweet wasn't the worst thing that could be possibly said, but the tweet specifically pointed out his face and was phrased in such a way that it was clearly negatively commenting on his appearance (and the original tweeter's later responses to him clarify that it was a dig at his appearance), and he has a right to be hurt and to point out that he can see everything people post about him on social media. While his comments about her grammar were a bit petty, I don't think anything he said constituted "going in on this girl".

I honestly wish more celebs pointed out that they can see all the stuff people post about them, especially if they're tagged. I remember right after the Tony's I was searching Santino Fontana's name on twitter (don't judge me, I'm a big fan, okay) and I found several tweets that he had been tagged in, saying that they hopehis wife has a miscarriage. I remember just being appalled that someone would not only say such a thingbut tag him in the tweet to make him read it.

I think a lot of people on twitter would benefit from a reminder that everyone can see the hurtful words you post in a moment of anger, and hopefully Rob McClure's response will provide that reminder, if only temporarily.
"

Social media creates and is the perfect playground for narcissists and it's only going to get worse so buckle up.

FlyHigh523 Profile Photo
FlyHigh523
#9broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 9:22am

I’ve noticed Jessica Vosk can get.... quite sassy to people on twitter, even if they’re being respectful to her. It baffles me.
But as stated previously in this thread, actors have a right to defend themselves. There’s definitely a line that fans shouldn’t cross while tweeting, and stan twitter has become such a problem in the past few years.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 9:27am

For the record: isn’t it possible that McClure has an alert set up for him name? That’s a thing right? If so, he wouldn’t have to have searched for his name manually.

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#11broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 9:42am

JBroadway said: "For the record: isn’t it possible that McClure has an alert set up for him name? That’s a thing right? If so, he wouldn’t have to have searched for his name manually."

A couple years ago after seeing him in Something Rotten, I tweeted about how great I thought he was. Didn't tag him, but he liked the tweet which caught me off guard. So I imagine he does have an alert of some kind set. 

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#12broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 9:50am

Or someone else could've alerted Rob to this Tweet. I doubt he spends his waking hours outside of his career to just search his name and read everything that comes up. If I were a betting man, I'd say he's looking for his next gig - hopefully a much better showcase of his talents.

RWPrincess
#13broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 11:49am

It's fairly easy to run a twitter search for anything. I've never seen an Alert functionality on the native twitter app but there are multiple apps one can use to access twitter. I don't think famous people should waste their time searching their name on social media as it's just not productive but, unfortunately it seems to happen more often than not. 

I've had Betty Buckley of all people "Like" tweets of mine that mention her name even though I didn't tag her. So now I try to use initials or first name only whenever possible as long as the comment still makes sense.

It's a good reminder to be conscious of what you post publicly and be kind but at the same time, fans should be able to post an opinion/review about a show, actor, etc. without being in fear of getting attacked by someone involved with said show. 

LxGstv
#14broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 11:59am

There was a whole lot of arguing and fighting when The Great Comet debacle happened... the one that stood out the most for me was Ariana DeBose completely trashing this poor young kid that didn’t even say anything bad or hurtful... there were a lot of nasty tweets going around that time though, but still...

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#15broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 5:35pm

I saw the initial tweet, and I thought it was very disrespectful. Especially the way they said "...and face..." The use of ellipsis made it sound even more disrespectful.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Regardless of your age, you can and should be called out for being a d-bag on the Internet. Teens should not be exempt from basic etiquette. 

Rainah
#16broadway stars on twitter
Posted: 7/10/19 at 5:51pm

Darn, I thought this was going to be a thread about who has the best twitter and I was going to nominate Isaac Powell, who is hilarious.

I think a big issue is there being no line between fan spaces that are not meant for creators to be, and the general public space. I think there is a lot of good to be found (And bad, for the record, it's a mixed bag) in spaces that are private and people talk freely.

But twitter is not that space.