pixeltracker

Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?

Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?

StardustsChild Profile Photo
StardustsChild
#1Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 11:00pm

Hi everyone,

I am starting to get excited about the BCEFA Flea Market coming up, and have been trawling the board for old posts regarding everyone's off the wall finds.

Anyone have any interesting scores from past years? I'm especially interested in things outside of window cards and playbills, as it is always interesting to me what pops up outside of the norm.

My favorite finds last year were a 4 foot tall plexiglass An American in Paris placard that used to hang outside of the Palace, Tyne Daly's show jacket from It Shoulda Been You (her booth is always a hoot) and signed dance shoes from AAIP.

"Life is already so dark. If you have got the talent to make it brighter and bring people hope & joy, why would you withhold that?"

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#2Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 11:42pm

A couple of years ago I found all four albums of Harvey Schmidt's MOVIE MUSIC IN A SMALL TEXAS TOWN- autographed.  Also, a small portfolio of paintings he did as concept for the original 110 IN THE SHADE.  Sometimes, luck is with you.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

magictodo123
#3Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 2:15am

I think my favorite (that I use almost every day) is a lunch box that must have been a Something Rotten! cast gift. It says “Omelette The Musical: Opening Night January 18th 1595” on it Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?

I also have a red water bottle that used to say Hello Dolly! Broadway Cast or something like that but it has since faded Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?

Rainah
#4Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 2:25am

They dont interest me personally but I have to say the used DEH casts are very cool

And comet which made panels from their curtain and earrings from their chandelier. Still can't find a pair at any price....

magictodo123
#5Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 2:28am

Rainah said: "They dont interest me personally but I have to say the used DEH casts are very cool

And comet which made panels from their curtain and earrings from their chandelier. Still can't find a pair at any price....
"

Oh those earrings were THE FIND the year they were at Flea. Wow. I was volunteering at the stand next to GC and there was such a huge crowd. Those earrings went FAST. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 10:31am

A Jersey Boys Las Vegas duffel bag with a receipt inside from Charl Brown. Haha.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Patty3
#7Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 10:51am

A signed copy of Mark Rylance Nice Fish for $5. And yes, love Tyne Daly’s booth. Got a Phil's coaster signed by her last year.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#8Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 11:09am

I always hunt for Tony Voter promotional items - exclusive souvenir programs, librettos, etc that are made just for voters.

Javi Profile Photo
Javi
#9Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 11:28am

This is the first year that I will attend.  Is it best to get there early when it starts at 10am?  Also, are prices for the items expensive orr pretty reasonable?

hollebolle
#10Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 12:21pm

Javi said: "This is the first year that I will attend. Is it best to get there early when it starts at 10am? Also, are prices for the items expensive orr pretty reasonable?"

I got there 10/15 minutes early last year, and people were already shopping. So if you want first pick, I'd get there early.

For the most part prices are reasonable, but it really depends on the table and what you're looking for. Leftover merch from a closed show is a totally different ballpark than props and other higher-end items. Also, as an example, last year I saw a copy of Angels in America signed by Tony Kushner for $30 at one booth, and $70 at another. And, of course, there are a lot items that it's difficult to put a price tag on, so it's hard to say whether or not the prices is reasonable. 

Last year was my first year going, so YMMV.

magictodo123
#11Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 3:18pm

VotePeron said: "I always hunt for Tony Voter promotional items - exclusive souvenir programs, librettos, etc that are made just for voters. "

I got a Legally Blonde CD that was made for Tony voters and that Waitress tony voters Book last year! 

clowchan
#12Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 7:24pm

OBC In The Heights for $1 and OBC Hamilton souvenir book for $5. Also a friend found me a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang mug (if that counts!)

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#13Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 7:43pm

StardustsChild said: "Hi everyone,

I am starting to get excited about the BCEFA Flea Market coming up, and have been trawling the board for old posts regarding everyone's off the wall finds.

Anyone have any interesting scores from past years? I'm especially interested in things outside of window cards and playbills, as it is always interesting to me what pops up outside of the norm.

My favorite finds last year were a 4 foot tall plexiglass An American in Paris placard that used to hang outside of the Palace, Tyne Daly's show jacket from It Shoulda Been You (her booth is always a hoot) and signed dance shoes from AAIP.
"

One of the actual stars from the Carousel set. We rewired it and used it as a Christmas tree star last year. And at Tyne Daly's booth I got her lorgnette necklace from a tv pilot she did ages ago she said.

Oh, and a full revival signed playbill from 1776!

ArtMan
#14Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 7:44pm

I only went once and (that was enough).  I did buy several caps (which I have never worn to this day) to closed shows , magnets, and brand new cast recordings for a $1 a piece.

StardustsChild Profile Photo
StardustsChild
#15Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 8/1/19 at 9:58am

msmp said: "One of the actual stars from theCarouselset. We rewired it andused it as a Christmas tree star last year. And at Tyne Daly's booth I got her lorgnette necklace from a tv pilot she did ages ago she said.

Oh, and a full revival signed playbill from1776!
"

That is such a great use of the Carousel Star! I was intrigued by those at the flea but had no idea how I would go about utilizing it.

"Life is already so dark. If you have got the talent to make it brighter and bring people hope & joy, why would you withhold that?"

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#16Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 8/2/19 at 10:36am

Green Goblin t-shirt celebrating Patrick Page’s final performance in Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, signs that hung at the Delacorte Theatre from Shakespeare in the Park, actor’s name plates from Roundabout Theater Company’s shows...

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

StephieElise
#17Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 8/2/19 at 8:34pm

The one year I attended (I’m overseas) I got a heap of t-shirts including one that was a cast and crew only one for Hedwig - I wore it the next week at the first preview of the tour in San Francisco and it turned out the guy who sold it to me was there selling posters! I also got a nice laptop bag with show posters printed on it and wine glass charms of show posters.

Probably my favourite thing though was the Priscilla OBC recording. After listening to it I declared that I really wanted an Australian revival and it was announced the following week!

ArtMan
#18Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 9/4/19 at 5:17pm

Okay, since I don't think we have a 2019 Broadway Flea Market thread as yet, what are people hoping to find?  Although I said I would never go to another one, I'm eating my words, and going to this one.  However, I think I am going during the last hours.  I am hoping to find, for cheap, cast cds to Escape To Margaritaville, Anastasia and Bandstand since I am seeing them in 2019/2020.  Even though I rarely buy magnets anymore, (I have an entire box of them) if I find one of those shows, again for cheap, I'll put it on the fridge.  And if it has gotten to the point, at the end of the day, there are $1 specials on any hats and t shirts, I will be picking those up as well.  (Never got a t shirt that low, but many hats).  Sorry OP for flipping your thread.

Updated On: 9/4/19 at 05:17 PM

Midnight Radio
#19Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 9/4/19 at 5:38pm

Drowsy Chaperone had martini glasses one year. No idea where mine is now.

Besides that, I usually just buy souvenir programs. I always look for interesting props or something along that line, but have never really found anything.

Last year Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had a really interesting tophat that was tall and spindly. Not really sure exactly where it came from as it was not the one used for Wonka, but it was definitely quality and a custom piece. Anyway, it was something around $100 and went pretty quick.

VintageSnarker
#20Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 9/5/19 at 5:49am

ArtMan said: "Okay, since I don't think we have a 2019 Broadway Flea Market thread as yet, what are people hoping to find?"

I'm always on the lookout for tables with cheap shirts. I didn't see them but I will still be on the lookout for Head Over Heels, Pretty Woman, and King Kong merch just out of curiosity. I'm also curious to see what Hadestown and Moulin Rouge do though I expect their offerings will be in line with their ticket prices so I will not be getting anything from those tables. 

What I'm actually hoping for is something cool from The Cher Show or My Fair Lady but I'm not counting on it. Sometimes it takes a year or two so I'll keep my eyes open for Once On This Island or The Band's Visit. You never know what will be kicking around. 

magictodo123
#21Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?
Posted: 9/5/19 at 6:16am

I'm hoping for a less expensive My Fair Lady revival sweatshirt, because I really loved the ones from the revival but they were so expensive!

Ever since the show closed I have been on the hunt for a Bright Star hat. I haven't had any luck so far, but I really hope that will change this year. 

Also hoping the Waitress table has some cool finds. I'd also consider some magnets, but it'd depend on what's there. I think if the Broadway Cares table has water bottles with the 2018/2019 Broadway season on it I might get one of those.