EVITA City center

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#50EVITA City center
Posted: 9/5/19 at 11:30am

HennySlay said: "Just curious, to everyone who thinks this casting is boring who would you have preferred to see in the role?"

Moira Rose.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

jimmycurry01
#51EVITA City center
Posted: 9/5/19 at 12:40pm

HennySlay said: "Just curious, to everyone who thinks this casting is boring who would you have preferred to see in the role? "

When I see responses like that, or a string of Zs, I assume that person is still quite young. Those responses seem to come from people who do not yet know the basics of creating an argument or how to back up an opinion. Give them time.

A few weeks ago, I had a student claim that the new Lion King movie was trash. I asked him why he thought that. The only response he could give was to say, "Because, it's trash."  He had no idea how to expound upon that statement. It's knowledge he doesn't have yet. People who say casting is boring without explaining why, or without saying who would be better suited for the role, must not yet know how to explain their thoughts. It's important to remember that we have a wide demographic here. Better responses will come with experience. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#52EVITA City center
Posted: 9/25/19 at 12:55pm

Is there any more casting news?

Alessio2
#53EVITA City center
Posted: 9/28/19 at 8:01pm

will this be a fully staged production with actual sets and costumes? Have never been to City Center and I happen to be in the city when this is playing! Thanks

LovesBway! Profile Photo
LovesBway!
#54EVITA City center
Posted: 10/1/19 at 5:47pm

Another vote for Karen Olivo!!

JSquared2
#55EVITA City center
Posted: 10/1/19 at 6:02pm

LovesBway! said: "Another vote for Karen Olivo!!"

A) She is currently starring in MOULIN ROUGE

B)  They have already cast the "Evitas" at City Center.

But thanks for your vote -- Democracy in action!

SmoothLover
#56EVITA City center
Posted: 10/2/19 at 2:59am

Who is cast in the other roles?

SmoothLover
#57EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:34am

Bump. How is this show selling?

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#58EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:14pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Jason-Gotay-Joins-New-York-City-Centers-EVITA-20191009

Honestly, this is a pretty lukewarm Gala Presentation. But, congrats to all those involved!

Updated On: 10/9/19 at 04:14 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#59EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:22pm

This isn't even lukewarm. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#60EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:39pm

What a snooze fest!

JSquared2
#61EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:45pm

Well, this is the last time I'll buy tickets in advance for any of these City Center "galas" without any casting announced.

Alessio2
#62EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:56pm

Does anyone know if this is a fully staged production with sets and costumes, and everyone isn't holding a binder with the score??

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#63EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 5:02pm

There will be costumes, but everything else will be minimal. City Center does not have major set pieces. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

nasty_khakis
#64EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 5:08pm

When they announced A Chorus Line a couple of years ago I assumed there would be no "names" since it's a VERY demanding role to dance with maaaaaybe only Zach being one you could get a Jake Gyllenhaal or whomever, but it's also not big/showy enough a part to entice someone. I still bought my tickets and as the cast announcements happened I kept going, well, it's not a gala, just a well cast regional production. It turned out to be great.

When they announced Evita I thought it was a show with at least three/four roles they'd get a name for, but apparently not. I'm not saying it won't end up thrilling, but hopefully whatever they pick next year they have a name locked in from the start. 

sco676767
#65EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 7:26pm

Evita feels like it's similarly a reallllly demanding show to cast given how hard these roles are to sing. I think Solea Pfeiffer is extraordinary, have a feeling Jason Gotay will be awesome, and am so excited to see this production stars or not. Doesn't feel like that should be the marker of what makes a production worth seeing, particularly when it seems like the creative team is reinventing the work in a new way. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#66EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 7:36pm

I don’t know the three people cast, and that would be fine if there was really anything else to go on. But we have a director with few credits to her name AND actors with thin bios. It might be great, but there’s nothing for people to latch onto and say, “This aspect is why I fee certain it will work.” And as I personally learned from the revival, Evita is not a show I wanna any to see a subpar production of. I’ll hold off until folks have seen it. I hope it’s good. That would be lovely! But for now, I’m staying cautious.

SouthernCakes
#67EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 8:13pm

I would have loved a Shoshana Bean Evita. Just to hear the riffs.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#68EVITA City center
Posted: 10/9/19 at 9:36pm

I didn't get tickets for this after being VERY dissapointed in the Chorus Line at NYCC last year. I don't care about these shows having celebrities at all, but I agree they should still have a superb cast. I found the Chorus Line to be very mediocre, save for Robyn Hurder as Cassie.

Anyway - hoping this Evita is wonderful and if so maybe I can snag a last minute ticket.

Updated On: 10/9/19 at 09:36 PM

mmc210
#69EVITA City center
Posted: 10/10/19 at 10:48am

I am so excited to see this -- I think Solea is a total star on the rise with this, Almost Famous and Light in the Piazza all coming up at the same time. I have a feeling she is about to blow up and is going to be amazing in this role (and so will Maia Reficco - I'm obsessed with her videos!) Jason Gotay's post yesterday with the teaser video actually made me see him in a totally new way - I think he'll be a great new take on Che. Can't wait!

SisterGeorge
#70EVITA City center
Posted: 11/5/19 at 12:46pm

Those rehearsal room clips released yesterday and today--no, not all publicity is good publicity.

Sister George

#71EVITA City center
Posted: 11/5/19 at 1:12pm

Do people think this will be worth seeing?

Updated On: 11/5/19 at 01:12 PM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#72EVITA City center
Posted: 11/5/19 at 3:15pm

just saw that clip, ouch. Is that really the best they could do? I know its harsh but yikes, those vocals were just not good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

wolfwriter
#73EVITA City center
Posted: 11/5/19 at 3:29pm

Justin D said: "just saw that clip, ouch. Is that really the best they could do? I know its harsh but yikes, those vocals were just not good."

Ouch is right.

Was Elena Roger unavailable? :)

LovesBway! Profile Photo
LovesBway!
#74EVITA City center
Posted: 11/5/19 at 6:51pm

Donna Marie Asbury as Evita?

Videos