pixeltracker

Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN- Page 2

Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN

SouthernCakes
#25Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/9/19 at 4:08pm

I understand the need for the staircase but seems to me that more people have favorably responded to the addition of the physical staircase.

And I thought SB had quite a powerful voice in Pretty Woman!

JustinLovesSideShow
#26Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/11/19 at 9:38am

Any thoughts on who her Anna will be?

BritCrit
#27Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/11/19 at 3:01pm

JustinLovesSideShow said: "Any thoughts on who her Anna will be?"

I’m hoping it’s a relative unknown. Elsa is the icon of the Frozen series, so the “stunt casting” of Samantha Barks was a good idea. But it is Anna who is the protagonist of Frozen. She gets the most screen time, the most songs, she is the one who grows the most and she is the character who drives the story. Casting a newcomer would provide such an incredible opportunity, and also have the side effect of highlighting Anna’s status as an ordinary character capable of doing extraordinary things, in contrast to the divinely powered Elsa.

P.S I also hope the Drury Lane staging keeps the more colourful approach of the tour. I think that Disney probably found the lack of technical nominations at the Tonys incredibly frustrating, and will be seeking to gain success at the Oliviers and other West End Awards. Brighter colours do not undermine the darker undertones of the story, but do allow us to be emotionally engaged, which is the most important thing of all for any work in the Frozen universe...

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/8/20 at 5:27pm

Love it! I just got my tickets for it switched so I’m praying I’ll be seeing her live in just 19 weeks.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#30Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/8/20 at 5:32pm

^So damn lucky. Yeah, I'm trying to plan a trip to see her in Frozen, along with Prince of Egypt. I've always wanted to go to London, so I'm hoping it'll work out.

Jordan Catalano
#31Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/8/20 at 5:48pm

If you are planning a trip, Groupon right now seems to have the best deals on hotels. Some real luxury places that are like $300 a night even on Travelocity are around $80-$100 on Groupon. I actually discovered that last night and was shocked.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#32Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/8/20 at 7:44pm

She sounds absolutely fantastic. Easily my favorite performance of the song.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#33Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/8/20 at 10:09pm

that was outstanding

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#34Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/9/20 at 2:25am

Jordan Catalano said: "If you are planning a trip, Groupon right now seems to have the best deals on hotels. Some real luxury places that are like $300 a night even on Travelocity are around $80-$100 on Groupon. I actually discovered that last night and was shocked."

I would book now if there wasn't a mandatory quarantine upon arrival; hope they take that away.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#35Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/9/20 at 8:17am

I loved it! Since the film of Les Miserables, I have been a fan of Samantha Barks. I would love to travel to London if it was in my finacial possibilities. 

The disappointment here is that Disney won't record a cast album of Barks and the London cast. 

The way she sings @ 3:18 "that perfect girl is gone"...damn!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone
Updated On: 12/9/20 at 08:17 AM

Owen22
#36Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/9/20 at 8:59am

blaxx said: "Jordan Catalano said: "If you are planning a trip, Groupon right now seems to have the best deals on hotels. Some real luxury places that are like $300 a night even on Travelocity are around $80-$100 on Groupon. I actually discovered that last night and was shocked."

I would book now if there wasn't a mandatory quarantine upon arrival; hope they take that away.
"

I am dying to get back there but the quarantine is quite an impediment. I'm not even sure how it works. Would one be allowed to go out to get food?

Jordan Catalano
#37Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/9/20 at 8:59am

blaxx said: "I would book now if there wasn't a mandatory quarantine upon arrival; hope they take that away."

I’m fairly sure by the time this opens, the quarantine won’t be in place. They’re already starting to do the testing at the airports to cut down on it. So fingers crossed!

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#38Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/9/20 at 11:45pm

fashionguru_23 said: “The disappointment here is that Disney won't record a cast album of Barks and the London cast."

Why so sure about that? They’ve recorded the West End and various overseas productions of their other properties before. Especially if they include the new songs/any other changes made for UK or Australia. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

A.J.
#39Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/10/20 at 12:36am

I’m a fan of Samantha Barks, but I don’t think that her voice type suits the role. Personally, I though the song overwhelmed her voice and other actresses have delivered much stronger-sounding performances. 

No shade intended BTW. Fully acknowledging it’s her first live performance, show hasn’t opened, pandemic, royal variety show, missing effects, etc.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#40Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/10/20 at 3:29am

Sadly I found that performance totally underwhelming.  Maybe it was recorded in a style to please the Royal Variety crowd, but it felt totally ersatz..

fashionguru_23
#41Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/10/20 at 8:44am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "fashionguru_23 said: “The disappointment here is that Disney won't record a cast album of Barks and the London cast."

Why so sure about that? They’ve recorded the West End and various overseas productions of their other properties before. Especially if they include the new songs/any other changes made for UK or Australia.
"

I'm just looking at past recordings of Disney shows. Besides "Beauty and the Beast", Disney hasn't released more than one English cast recording of their shows. All the other Disney shows have received multiple recordings, but those were in other languages. Mary Poppins is the exception to the rule, but I would attribute the two London, and Australian recordings to Cameron Macintosh, who always want to record his shows multiple times...although, it's weird we never received a Broadway cast recording...maybe not enough changed between "the pond".

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#42Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/10/20 at 10:27am

fashionguru_23 said: "GiantsInTheSky2 said: "fashionguru_23 said: “The disappointment here is that Disney won't record a cast album of Barks and the London cast."

"

I'm just looking at past recordings of Disney shows. Besides "Beauty and the Beast", Disney hasn't released more than one English cast recording of their shows. All the other Disney shows have received multiple recordings, but those were in other languages. Mary Poppins is the exception to the rule, but I would attribute the two London, and Australian recordings to Cameron Macintosh, who always want to record his shows multiple times...although, it's weird we never received a Broadway cast recording...maybe not enough changed between "the pond".
"

We are getting the West End filmed version of ALADDIN that features an international cast so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s followed by a cast recording and is advertised as the “definitive” version or something along those lines. 

I remember the filmed version of LOVE NEVER DIES got a cast recording by lifting the audio from the film itself so I’d imagine the same thing could happen with ALADDIN.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

windowwaving
#43Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/10/20 at 3:37pm

It looks like the Australia production is using the US tour's version of the sets: Elsa's transformation staircase, short ice bridge for "What Do You Know About Love" and no roundtable. 

I wonder if all future productions will be utilizing these, or if the West End will get some of the pieces from the Broadway production that closed, which they said they would be repurposing. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#44Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/10/20 at 3:40pm

It’s probably due to the Australian company being a touring production. I’m sure the london company will get the sit down elements.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

sparksatmidnight
#45Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/11/20 at 6:47am

Since the UK production will be recorded, I assume the production will be at least the same as Broadway, or with even better elements here and there. But then again, Disney might think they can get away with filming the touring version

fashionguru_23
#46Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/11/20 at 8:58am

sparksatmidnight said: "Since the UK production will be recorded, I assume the production will be at least the same as Broadway, or with even better elements here and there. But then again, Disney might think they can get away with filming the touring version"

It is?

sparksatmidnight
#47Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/13/20 at 12:44pm

Yes. But don't expect Disney to say anything about it until they're ready to release it (and who knows how long that will take).

Princeton2
#48Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 12/13/20 at 12:56pm

I don't know if its still planned, but the west end production should be getting additional changes to its physical production . But they haven't specified what the changes/additions will be

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#49Samantha Barks to play Elsa in the West End production of FROZEN
Posted: 7/26/21 at 9:43am

Wow... based on this load in video, it looks like there are some major new set pieces for the West End production including a staircase for the ice palace, a terrace like backdrop for Love is an Open Door, and an expanded ice bridge! All look great from the glimpses I could catch in this video...

https://youtu.be/BoWwlzHDclU

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "