ALW's Cinderella

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#50ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/27/21 at 9:53am

First thoughts (also posted on theatreboard)

Whilst at the end of act one I was feeling a bit unsure, it kinda all came together in act two.

Firstly, I really liked the score as a whole, with Only You, Lonely You and I Know I Have a Heart being the two stand out moments for me.
There’s a song between Cinderella and Sebastian towards the start of act one which I really liked, and the motif plays through the show. I also loved the Entracte and the ball music at the top of act two.

The show looks amazing. Costumes, settings, lighting all top notch and looks like a lot of money has been put into it. The stage moving at the top of act two, whilst some may call it gimmicky, is quite magical and makes total sense.

Casting wise everyone is great. Carrie holds the show and sings effortlessly. Ivano sounds great and has an excellent moment to show off his dancing. I was waiting for a big vocal moment from VHB but it never arrived, although she certainly has the comedic chops, as does Rebecca Trehearn.

The Godmother/Necklace/Midnight plot point as others have mentioned really needs to have more to it. Gloria Onitiri is a fantastic performer but is so underused here. It seems the necklace is forgotten until the last few minutes when it all needs to be wrapped up, and we get the Godmother back for all of a minute or so.

All in all, very enjoyable and I will definitely look forward to another visit. I don’t expect there to be many changes but if they can provide clarity to the plot points mentioned above it will certainly make the show more solid. I wouldn’t say the show was too long and actually, another 5 minutes to solidify the book would go a long way. Bows at the end were all just a long line of the cast - I’m sure they will stage them fully later (seems to be quite common not to have at early previews)

musicismylifeee
#51ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/27/21 at 4:51pm

Can someone explain the first rows rotating? The audience looks lower than the stage so I’m confused haha

binau Profile Photo
binau
#52ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/27/21 at 5:03pm

SPOILERS

Yes, essentially everything moves from THIS - the whole section rotates clockwise around the stage and behind it. 

ALW's CinderellaTo THIS

ALW's Cinderella

It happens at the beginning of Act Two (the Ball). In terms of what takes place on stage, a lot of ball dancing with sweeping melodies, the prince trying to find a bride - eventually dancing with the 'transformed' Cinderella who now has blonde hair, makeup and a ravishing dress (as opposed to her emo outfit). The prince doesn't recognise her and when she says that she has always loved him he kind of mocks and dismisses her as ridiculous because she thinks she is just one of the other girls trying to get with him who doesn't know him, and says he is 'waiting for someone' (i.e. the real Cinderella). Then Carrie Hope does one of her big ballads ("I Know I have a heart"ALW's Cinderella on an empty stage but now in the round so the blocking involves kind of changing position occasionally so everyone gets a piece of the song, and then the Prince also has a lit bit of a meltdown in song, which I enjoyed although need the cast recording to really remember it. If I recall it is at this moment the chairs start coming back. The effect of this whole thing is essentially making the theatre more seem more intimate. I liked it but I wouldn't describe it as necessary. Very curious if it transfers to Broadway if they will want to invest in making this happen - maybe it's not necessary but this is essentially the Chandelier or Helicopter of the show so maybe they think it's worth it just for the word of mouth. 

For those that are interested, ALW appeared to sit at the end of row I or J so he did not appear to opt for going to 'the ball'. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/27/21 at 05:03 PM

SouthernCakes
#53ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/27/21 at 7:43pm

I’m not sure how’d they pull this off in a Broadway house. But a similar thing happened in the original Cats on Broadway, right? So it is possible!

h6p8gv
#54ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/27/21 at 8:45pm

Any song list in the playbill if so can someone post it please

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#55ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/28/21 at 8:48am

Is the glass slipper still in the plot? 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

binau Profile Photo
binau
#56ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/28/21 at 1:07pm

There is a slipper but I’d say it’s more a cameo than a real plot point. The whole plot ‘twist’ is that the prince doesn’t want the transformed Cinderella at all so the original plot point of searching for her throughout the kingdom by the slipper doesn’t really exist anymore. The whole you need to get back by 12am thing is also said but it’s actually unclear what happens after the time (nothing really). Could use more clarity here in my opinion.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#57ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/28/21 at 4:15pm

How many times is the album release going to be postponed?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#58ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 6/28/21 at 4:21pm

CATSNYrevival said: "How many times is the album release going to be postponed?"

Expected release is July 9 according to Apple Music. I can't imagine it will be postponed again now that the show is currently in previews. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/28/21 at 04:21 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#59ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/3/21 at 7:19pm

Oh man, I loved this. I’m beat from a full day so just quick thoughts. The show is definitely not what I thought it would be AT ALL. I knew it was a “new take” on the story and some of the wording made it seem it was going to be very “Girl power, I’m independent, I don’t need a man to be happy, etc” which is not at all what this is. This new Cinderella is still very much seeking love and it’s very nice to see that mixed in with the way this character, who IS much more independent and fleshed out is written, especially when played by someone as extraordinary as Carrie.

That said, the book does have a few issues that at this point will just be there forever - I call them Hallmark movie problems. You know how in a Hallmark movie, the girl sees the guy she likes talking to a girl, who’s probably his sister or something and she decides that he’s in love with her and just runs away and then he has to find her and go through an hour of making up, when all she had to do was say “Yo who was that chick?” and it would all be cleared up. But I enjoyed the show so much, I can forgive things like that.

The score is definitely stronger than ”School of Rock” and gives room for Webber to do what he does best with his soaring melodies. It’s definitely one I’ll be listening to a lot.

Other cast members that I adored were Victoria Hamilton as the Stepmother. Holy crap, SHES brilliant and hilarious. She has this one number with the Queen that’s just two bitchy middle aged women being shady and bitchy to each other that I GUARANTEE is gonna be done by every pair of actresses over 40 in concerts. Just hilarious. Also, Gloria Onitiri as the “Godmother” was great but very underused. Not sure what else she could really do but she’s so bizarre that I just wanted MORE MORE MORE of her. The transformation scene is something out of “American Psycho” and made me so so happy to just see something that out of the box.

Now then, the bit with the Prince at the end and the wedding (not sure if it’s been “spoiled” already) could have been gimmicky and absurd, but I found it really beautiful especially sitting in a theater surrounded by little kids cheering it on. Really brought a tear or three to my eye.

I’m definitely going to go back and see it again in a couple days. Good on Webber and all for creating something brand new crowd pleasing. It’s just what we need at this time.

Jordan Catalano
#60ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/3/21 at 7:28pm

Forgot to add, there were some parents there I saw after the show who were a bit shocked that they had just taken their little kids to see this show that really isn’t aimed at kids AT ALL. Maybe the marketing needs to change a bit to even feature the three or four HUNKS (I was so focused on one of them I lost count) who heat up the stage half naked for most of the show. I want a show of just them.

bwayphreak234
#61ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/3/21 at 8:58pm

God I want to see this so bad. I can’t wait for the cast recording to come out on Friday.

Jordan Catalano
#62ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/4/21 at 8:21am

When this does eventually come to Broadway, Donna Murphy MUST play the Queen. My dream has always been to see her play Queen Aggravain and I think this is as close as I’ll get to that happening. And Rachel York 100% has to play the Stepmother.

Owen22
#63ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/4/21 at 8:42am

Victoria Hamilton is in this?! I love her! Is she no longer Victoria Hamilton-Barritt? I assume this is the same person...

Jordan Catalano
#64ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/4/21 at 9:20am

Yup Victoria Hamilton-Barritt is in it and she’s fabulous.

Dolly80
#65ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/4/21 at 10:46am

She is still very much called Victoria Hamilton-Barritt.

Judging by what I’ve heard about this show so far, this won’t be troubling Broadway anytime soon. Sounds like a confused mess and I cannot wait to see it before ALW shuts it down to ‘revise’ it!

Updated On: 7/4/21 at 10:46 AM

bwayphreak234
#66ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/4/21 at 11:05am

Come someone use a spoiler to explain how the transformations are done?

CATSNYrevival
#67ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/6/21 at 12:08am

Is there a song list in the program? Anyone have it?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#68ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/6/21 at 8:08am

Jordan Catalano said: "Forgot to add, there were some parents there I saw after the show who were a bit shocked that they had just taken their little kids to see this show that really isn’t aimed at kids AT ALL. Maybe the marketing needs to change a bit to even feature the three or four HUNKS (I was so focused on one of them I lost count) who heat up the stage half naked for most of the show. I want a show of just them."

Tell us more about these guys, please!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#69ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/6/21 at 8:31am

These guys, presumably:

ALW's Cinderella

CATSNYrevival
#70ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/6/21 at 7:03pm

I don't know why they're dressed like that but I'm not complaining.

Jordan Catalano
#71ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/6/21 at 7:43pm

Yes, them! The one in the middle is my favorite. I went back again today to see the understudy for the Prince and thought he was fabulous and really enjoyed the show overall, again.

SouthernCakes
#72ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/6/21 at 11:05pm

Does it feel “cheap?” I thought School of Rock’s design felt very lush. And some of these pictures look cheap but then the seats revolving sounds so cool. Just curious.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#73ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/7/21 at 1:33am

SouthernCakes said: "I’m not sure how’d they pull this off in a Broadway house. But a similar thing happened in the original Cats on Broadway, right? So it is possible! "

No, the Winter Garden stage wasn't a rotating one like the West End's Cats.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#74ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/7/21 at 8:19am

chewy5000 said: "These guys, presumably:

ALW's Cinderella
"

What is their role in the show?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage