ALW's Cinderella

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/7/21 at 9:34am

^They’re all ensemble and also (I suppose) members of the Royal Court and basically just hot and examples of how everyone in the village is “perfect”. The middle one is also the Baker and I love him. They’re onstage a lot during the show and have a whole number where they workout and fence and just show off. ALW is obviously targeting the kids and the gays with this show.

saxpower
#76ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/7/21 at 2:13pm

blaxx said: "SouthernCakes said: "I’m not sure how’d they pull this off in a Broadway house. But a similar thing happened in the original Cats on Broadway, right? So it is possible! "

No, the Winter Garden stage wasn't a rotating one like the West End's Cats.
"

They removed the first few rows of orchestra street (up to about row L, I think), then built a semicircular extension of the stage about halfway through the open space,  They then replaced the removed seats (or at least what would fit), wrapping them around the extension (the orchestra was off-stage).  Essentially the fist few rows were like a thrust stage theatre.  The "junkyard" set itself extended into the auditorium (including up into the mezzanine).   From what I understand, the staircase for Grizabella's exited came down from the back of the stage in London.  On Broadway it came out of the ceiling above the stage extension. 

You are correct, though.  Neither the stage nor any seats moved or resolved.  I believe the Winter Garden was chosen because it is a fairly wide theatre, so more people could be close to the action (though the cats went out into the audience anyway). 

ETA  found this picture.  The creative team is sitting in the area where the seats were not removed and then reinstalled around the extension:  https://catsmusical.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sets?file=Broadway_set_1.jpg

Updated On: 7/7/21 at 02:13 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#77ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/7/21 at 2:38pm

Cast album track listing: 

1. Buns ’N’ Roses
2. It Has to Be Her
3. Bad Cinderella
4. So Long
5. Unfair
6. Unbreakable
7. Hunks’ Song
8. Man’s Man
9. So Long (Reprise) / Introduction to Only You, Lonely You
10. Only You, Lonely You
11. The Queen’s Boudoir In The Palace
12. I know You
13. I Know You (Reprise)
14. The Village Square
15. Unfair (Reprise)
16. The Godmother’s Shop
17. Beauty Has A Price
18. Fanfare
19. The Cinderella Waltz
20. The Ball
21. I Know I Have A Heart
22. Act 2 Scene 2
23. I Am No Longer Me
24. Moment Of Triumph
25. What Were You Thinking? / Introduction to Far Too Late
26. Far Too Late
27. Ego Has A Price (Reprise)
28. The Wedding Fanfare
29. The Wedding March
30. The Ceremony
31. The Vanquishing Of The Three-Headed Sea Witch
32. Man’s Man (Reprise)
33. Marry For Love
34. Cinderella’s Soliloquy
35. The Wedding Party
36. Finale
37. Marry For Love (Full Version / Bonus Track)
38. Only You, Lonely You (US Single Version / Bonus Track)

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#78ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/8/21 at 8:10am

Can anyone elaborate on "Man's Man" and "Hunks' Song"?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Jordan Catalano
#79ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/8/21 at 11:30am

That section is where the hunks (pictured above, and more) workout and sing about how hot they are and sing to the prince about being “manly”.

I love that part.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#80ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/8/21 at 11:32am

Thank you for the review, Jordan! Everything I've heard from this so far has surprised me (in a good way).

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#81ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/8/21 at 11:39am

Sarah Brightman sings on the first track ("Buns 'N' Roses) around the 3:02 mark.  Cool cameo!

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 7/8/21 at 11:39 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#82ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/8/21 at 12:50pm

The ‘man’s man’ song also had dramatic importance because it’s helping to setup that prince Sebastian is not really a man’s man like Prince Charming, making him a little bit of an outsider. Additionally it makes the wedding twist a little more funny when Prince Charming returns. Turns out he is a “man’s man” but not for the reasons they were singing about.

Interestingly the cast recording has a ‘US SIngle’ version of what I think is the best song (only you, lonely you). Similar arrangement rather than a pop reboot but with Todrick Hall singing (good performance).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#83ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/8/21 at 8:57pm

Many of the tracks are now uploaded to the shows official YouTube account - I’ve gone through a lot of them and I think this is Webber really returning to his old form of just purely enjoyable songs. Can’t wait for the full album tomorrow!

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#84ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/8/21 at 9:20pm

I’m just catching up on this thread. Jordan, THANKS for your posts!

CATSNYrevival
#85ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/8/21 at 10:31pm

What's the deal with the cameos on the album? Sarah Brightman and Adam Lambert? I didn't realize this wasn't going to be an original cast album.

Jordan Catalano
#86ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 3:37am

It appears that Adam Lambert is singing the role of Prince Charming and I have no idea why. Also, the full “Marry For Love” isn’t here, sung by that character. How…odd.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#87ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 4:13am

isn't Helen George playing the Queen in the cast recording too?

Jordan Catalano
#88ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 4:15am

imeldasturn said: "isn't Helen George playing the Queen in the cast recording too?"

Yup. Odd.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#89ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 4:43am

I'm guessing this was recorded quite a while ago.

Jordan Catalano
#90ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 4:54am

For some reason, I thought they were still recording it a little while ago.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#91ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 6:24am

I'll definitely check the liner notes when my copy cd arrives. He seems to prefer having a recording out as soon as performances begin (if not before), even though there are inevitable changes and cut songs. Which I suppose means that if it eventually crosses the pond we can look forward to an "American premiere recording"

CATSNYrevival
#92ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 6:59am

Is the “Marry For Love” full version bonus track not actually the full version?

Jordan Catalano
#93ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 7:37am

I mean, it *might* technically be the full version but half of that song in the show is sung alone by Prince Charming *SPOILER*

After introducing the man he’s about to marry and leading into their wedding.

CATSNYrevival
#94ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 12:29pm

I’m enjoying the album. I think the story is just wacky enough to merit a new musical adaptation. As mentioned previously if you don’t enjoy “Bad Cinderella” and “Only You, Lonely You” I’m afraid the score won’t have much more to offer you as those two melodies are revisited frequently in the recitative. I’d love some spoilers on what exactly is happening in the transformation scene. The Godmother sounds frightening.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#95ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 12:34pm

LOVING this album. The show sounds so quirky and unique. The score is just FUN. Beauty Has a Price is one of my favorites.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jordan Catalano
#96ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 12:52pm

***SPOILER***

Cinderella arrives at a shop with some glass cases and sees the “crystal shoes” and is greeted by The Stepmother. Around the point in the song where she asks “is this really what you want to look like?” she puts Cinderella in a barbers chair and puts a lighted white porcelain face mask on her. Then the chair is “swapped out” with another with a dummy Cinderella that the Stepmother starts “injecting” with long syringes and working on with various “tools”.

Jordan Catalano
#97ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 12:52pm

Also, they’re now advertising it as “The Concept Album”.

Pan_Am_L-1011
#98ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 2:33pm

I am enjoying the album. I think this is his best since Sunset Boulevard in terms of the score and musicality of the score. Just a bunch of nice songs. A good return to form. 

How it is on stage is another thing.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#99ALW's Cinderella
Posted: 7/9/21 at 5:59pm

Being a huge ALW fan - and I credit Aspects of Love - (the first musical I ever saw on Broadway) with my interest in theater, I've been waiting for a "full score" of his that I might enjoy again like Aspects and Sunset.  Steven Ward was definitely not that for me, nor was School of Rock (which the CD underwhelmed me that it's probably the first ALW show on Broadway that I skipped)

Anyway, I had enjoyed all the releases of the 4 songs from Cinderella and had high hopes.  I'm now on my second listen of the entire album and it's terrific.   It's great to hear ALW having fun - and composing some of his beautiful melodies in this score.  Very hopeful this will eventually make it to NY and curious to hear how the score will change (since this was recorded over a year ago)