pixeltracker

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works- Page 3

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works

rattleNwoolypenguin
#50DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 2:31pm

Ben Platt is too old. 100 percent.

And he's too handsome and fit now.

Cast a brilliant unknown who's been in the running to do the broadway show. Cast someone who IS this character.

barcelona20
#51DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 2:51pm

Sutton Ross said: "Why don't we instead hope the people behind the filmadd some POC to the production team and see what naturally extends from that from that rather than just hope the film adds a little token diversity to its cast list?

A huge emphaticYES for this idea.
"

A genuine question for this specific movie adaptation, where there already is a director, writer, composer etc... what would diversifying the production team mean?

SouthernCakes
#52DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 2:54pm

Casting, production design, lighting design, editing, grips, location scouts, casting, casting, ...

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#53DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 3:31pm

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...................

barcelona20
#54DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 3:36pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes..................."

Isn't casting what I was talking about initially?

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#55DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 3:51pm

It will only be Ben Platt as he IS Evan Hansen and after his recent sell out concert tour there is a bigger audience outside of Broadway just to see him.

Leave it to the production team, they will make him look age/character appropriate.

Excuse my naivety but isn't it the job of the director to choose the most suitable people for the production team?

Spelling.

Updated On: 6/12/20 at 03:51 PM

Sutton Ross
#56DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 3:57pm

Nope. you literally said "what happened to diversity" in a thread about the Dear Evan Hansen film. You said nothing specifically about casting versus the hundreds of other jobs that will be available due to this film. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#57DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 7:27pm

The Netflix series 13 Reasons Why was justly criticized for sloppy writing, a cast that was too old and a sensationalized look at self harm and mental illness. Critics hated it, especially the later seasons, but it developed a massive audience. I imagine a Dear Evan Hansen film would be the same. Critics will tear it apart. The problems are built into the source material and are forgiven, and embraced, by its target audience.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#58DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 7:27pm

Those imagining that someone other than Ben Platt will play Evan are hysterical given that the movie is being produced by Marc Platt Productions.

Guess that's the end of that discussion.

Updated On: 6/12/20 at 07:27 PM

Sutton Ross
#59DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 7:43pm

Haha. Basically.

chrishuyen
#60DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 7:44pm

I agree that diversity shouldn't just be about adding a token POC to a role originated by a white actor, but it did seem a bit off to me when I received an email from the stage production talking about how much they're trying to tackle this issue while casting (or at least in talks with) two white leads in the movie on the same day.  I know that these probably aren't really run by the same people, but I'm assuming that if Evan and Zoe are white then Heidi and all the Murphys would be white as well, and it just seems like a waste of an opportunity to live up to their words.  

Also this is definitely a pipe dream, but it would have been amazing to bring back those televised talent searches like they did for Grease and Legally Blonde.  They could've called it You Will Be Found or something and drum up press at the same time.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#61DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 10:27pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "The Netflix series 13 Reasons Why was justly criticized for sloppy writing, a cast that was too old and a sensationalized look at self harm and mental illness. Critics hated it, especially the later seasons, but it developed a massive audience. I imagine a Dear Evan Hansen film would be the same. Critics will tear it apart. The problems are built into the source material and are forgiven, and embraced, by its target audience."

Now that you bring in 13 reasons why--netflix had to ask me twice if I was still watching as I was totally absorbed. The acting, editing/splicing-excellent, and the subject matter, mass student bullying to result in suicide were experiences I had never come across.

Most of the students looked beyond 17[comparing to my 17yo nephew] and do 17 year old REALLY have that much sex?

Never seen DEH but would it be better to make it into a limited TV movie/series? Probably make much more money in world wide movie distribution, and then the sales of the DVD.

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#62DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 11:04pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "The Netflix series 13 Reasons Why was justly criticized for sloppy writing, a cast that was too old and a sensationalized look at self harm and mental illness. Critics hated it, especially the later seasons, but it developed a massive audience. I imagine a Dear Evan Hansen film would be the same. Critics will tear it apart. The problems are built into the source material and are forgiven, and embraced, by its target audience."

I’m sure there will still be the same criticisms that the stage show got, but I don’t think Dear Evan Hansen is going to go from being critically acclaimed onstage to being panned on film unless if they really botch the execution.

13 Reasons Why is an infinitely worse project, and it would’ve been torn apart whether it was on TV, film, or the stage, cause it approaches its topic in a horribly tasteless way.

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#63DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 11:04pm

I’m sure there will still be the same criticisms that the stage show got, but I don’t think Dear Evan Hansen is going to go from being critically acclaimed onstage to being panned on film unless if they really botch the execution.

13 Reasons Why is an infinitely worse project, and it would’ve been torn apart whether it was on TV, film, or the stage, cause it approaches its topic in a horribly tasteless way.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#64DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 11:32pm

Ben Platt is too much of an ego-maniac to give up this role.  His mindset here is, "This is the role that could win me an oscar, and daddy will help me get it!"

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#65DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 11:50pm

Hot Pants said: "I’m sure there will still be the same criticisms that the stage show got, but I don’t think Dear Evan Hansen is going to go from being critically acclaimed onstage to being panned on film unless if they really botch the execution."

This literally happens to every musical turned movie...
Examples below:
A Chorus Line, Les Miserables, The Producers, Into The Woods, Phantom, Jersey Boys, Cats, Rent, etc.

chrishuyen
#66DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/12/20 at 11:59pm

Tag said: "Hot Pants said: "I’m sure there will still be the same criticisms that the stage show got, but I don’t think Dear Evan Hansen is going to go from being critically acclaimed onstage to being panned on film unless if they really botch the execution."

This literally happens to every musical turned movie...
Examples below:
A Chorus Line, Les Miserables, The Producers, Into The Woods, Phantom, Jersey Boys, Cats, Rent, etc.
"

You've notably omitted Chicago, and also Hairspray. Last Five Years wasn't terrible but it also definitely wasnt meant for the screen 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#67DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/13/20 at 12:03am

^Chicago was a successful transfer (and won Best Picture), Hairspray is generally thought of well (except for Travolta's performance) and I haven't seen the film version on L5Y, so can't comment.

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#68DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/13/20 at 12:18am

Broadway Flash said: "Ben Platt is too much of an ego-maniac to give up this role. His mindset here is, "This is the role that could win me an oscar, and daddy will help me get it!""

Cause I’m sure you’d give up the chance to reprise the role of a lifetime that would not only give your career a big boost, but also give you the opportunity to win the most coveted award available to an actor.

Ben Platt’s not perfect, but his detractors manage to make it seem like everything he’s ever done is terrible.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#69DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/13/20 at 12:42am

Ben Platt is way too old at this point to convincingly play this part on film. I can't imagine he wouldn't get put through the ringer by the press for trying it...If he is seriously considering doing the movie, he should watch the film version of "Rent"  7 times, ask how much that filmed helped THOSE actors' film careers, and then become a producer on the film of "Dear Evan Hansen", where he can offer forward his expertise on the role in an actually meaningful way.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#70DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/13/20 at 1:09am

QueenAlice said: "Ben Platt is way too old at this point to convincingly play this part on film. I can't imagine he wouldn't get put through the ringer by the press for trying it...If he is seriously considering doing the movie, he should watch the film version of "Rent" 7 times, ask how much that filmed helped THOSE actors' film careers, and then become a producer on the film of "Dear Evan Hansen", where he can offer forwardhis expertise on the role in an actuallymeaningful way."

Rent’s film was done nearly a decade after the show. Compared to Platt, those actors looked far, far older between the stage show and the film.

Also, Platt just played a high schooler recently, and there wasn’t some big discussion about him looking too old in that show. Granted, there wasn’t a big discussion surrounding The Politician in the first place, but still, I think people are really exaggerating the age problem here. This happens all the time, and it’s gonna happen again.

There are many other examples of an adult playing a teenager that are a lot more egregious than Platt doing so again, as he’s still very young looking, and more importantly, he’s perfect in this role.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#71DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/13/20 at 1:35am

I just think the topic of the film is going to play out WAY differently in our current statement. 

And I just can't get on board with an actor whose father has handed him all of his success. I'll admit he's very talented, but I'm just not a fan. He seems smarmy. 

skies Profile Photo
skies
#72DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/13/20 at 2:02am

I don't think Platt is too old, just that I find his acting woefully unsubtle.  

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#73DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/13/20 at 11:31am

Hot Pants said: "QueenAlice said: "Ben Platt is way too old at this point to convincingly play this part on film. I can't imagine he wouldn't get put through the ringer by the press for trying it...If he is seriously considering doing the movie, he should watch the film version of "Rent" 7 times, ask how much that filmed helped THOSE actors' film careers, and then become a producer on the film of "Dear Evan Hansen", where he can offer forwardhis expertise on the role in an actuallymeaningful way."

Rent’s film was done nearly a decade after the show. Compared to Platt, those actors looked far, far older between the stage show and the film.

Also, Platt just played a high schooler recently, and there wasn’t some big discussion about him looking too old in that show. Granted, there wasn’t a big discussion surrounding The Politician in the first place, but still, Ithink people are really exaggerating the age problem here. This happens all the time, and it’s gonna happen again.

There are many other examples of an adult playing a teenager that are a lot more egregious than Platt doing so again, as he’s still very young looking, and more importantly, he’s perfect in this role.
"

The film of "Rent" might have been a decade after its Broadway premiere, but Platt would still be playing a decade older than his character by the time the movie of "Dear Evan Hansen" starts filming.. I think in a movie, when they've already set the precedent of an actual high schooler playing the part on Broadway,  Platt wouldn't come across well.   His career is doing just fine; he seems to have started to move into a more adult persona for himself and I stand by my belief that the 'coolest' and most gracious thing he could do is become a producer on the film and lend his expertise to a young actor who can better represent the role for the cinematic medium.  There will be plenty of other roles for Platt.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 6/13/20 at 11:31 AM

Sutton Ross
#74DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works
Posted: 6/13/20 at 1:22pm

He's going to be Evan in the film. There is absolutely no discussion about that. It's done. People at 26 years old play teens all the time, he will be great in the part.