pixeltracker

Company Previews Thread- Page 10

Company Previews Thread

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#225Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/5/20 at 9:48pm

Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#226Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/5/20 at 9:48pm

CLASSIC

Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Comeback06
#227Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/5/20 at 11:25pm

Any perspective on Orch sides, not PV? Going next week in seats i 11-15 & would appreciate any insight! I didn’t see any Company specific shots on a View from my Seat there yet. Thanks in advance!"

We sat in Row K seats 22 & 24  99.00 each     The views were absolutely fine.  No problems at all.

The show was wonderful but I honestly think Lenk should be replaced.  She is just not up to the vocal demands of the score.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#228Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/5/20 at 11:25pm

I was there tonight. For those who have seen other previews, could you hear the stage hands? Tonight's business was so loud I thought something had broken backstage.

I loved Lenk. I've see a few Company productions and this has to be the most vulnerable Bobby I have memory of; just wished her two main solos were staged differently. LuPone only got a standing ovation from very few people.

My biggest problem with this production is that the harshest most cynical parts completely eclipse those that hold more hope for the character. I thought it was so raw that I left the theatre with a hole in my stomach.

What was with the conventiom of the keys Bobby finds? That was dropped right away, but the multiple random references to Alice in Wonderland stayed through the end (keys, rabbit hole, giant/miniature worlds, mad hatter party, smoking caterpillar, etc)

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 3/5/20 at 11:25 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#229Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/5/20 at 11:29pm

^ every person I’ve talked to this week has commented on how loud/disruptive the back stage crew have been, even from the rear mezz.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#230Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/5/20 at 11:34pm

I know they are in previews but it honestly sounds that the stage is completely falling apart. It was extremely awkward.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#231Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/5/20 at 11:36pm

Interesting. I saw it from the center front mezz the other day and didn’t hear anything.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#232Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/5/20 at 11:43pm

Was the red dress a nod to the Queen of Hearts? Was the full production a reference to Alice in Wonderland, what other nods are there?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#233Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 1:33am

I just saw the first four previews, and it’s been noisy backstage every night. There was almost another technical issue tonight while Bobbie was awaiting the David and Jenny set, there was an unusually long pause, but then everything worked fine.

Four previews later, and it’s back to reality for me. The show was sold out tonight with a completely full standing room, something I didn't notice during the other previews.  All of the changes from the third preview remain, nothing new happened tonight. Performances are truly growing night by night, and it’s been fun seeing this cast evolve over the course of a few days. I genuinely and enjoy and respect Matt Doyle’s performance more and more each night. I appreciate that he doesn’t pull the predictable flamboyant and completely over-the-top approach that Bailey apparently used to great success in London. Doyle is still neurotic, but he’s grounded in a way that I find very relatable. Etai Benson continually makes such a strong impression as Paul. I’ve never cared about Paul until Etai’s performance.

I’ve seen Patti dozens of times in the past, and no two performances are ever the same. Each night she's been changing up little bits. She's known for constantly evolving over the course of a show’s run, even after it's opened. She’s simply marvelous in this production.

I love the intricacies of Lenk’s performance. Whether it’s a hand gesture or a facial expression, she is able to convey so much to the audience. Her singing is what it is. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it’s not like she sings out of tune, it’s not the disaster some are making it out to be. Could maybe some of the keys be tweaked further? Sure, but the same was said of Rosalie’s keys. As of now, I believe the only songs she’s singing lower than Rosalie is her solo in the title number and “Marry Me A Little.” Her “Being Alive” keeps getting better. Her “Stop” was most forceful I’ve seen from her tonight, and it was the most defiant I’ve seen her sing her responses to the group’s spoken lines in the first part of the song. She delivers quite the emotional journey in this number.

In the end, what draws me the most to Company in Sondheim's score. I may sound like a broken record but I am thrilled with Joel Fram and David Cullen for ensuring the score sounds absolutely sparkling. I've listened to the London recording a countless number of times, and while I enjoy it, I was worried the sound was a little too tepid and tinny. All of those issues are gone now. The tempos are brisk and breezy, and the orchestra sounds larger than 14 players. Cullen's subtle changes to his orchestrations only improve the overall sound. And you can't beat the exit music in this production. 

Updated On: 3/6/20 at 01:33 AM

SouthernCakes
#234Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 11:49am

Yeah the key thing was quite curious and then just kind of goes away! I was intrigued by the idea of going down this rabbit hole, but it seems like it gets dropped. Did that happen in London?

I was in the front mezz and could hear the stage hands.

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#235Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 12:41pm

Are there any discount codes out there for this right now?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#236Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 12:53pm

Miserent said: "I sat 2nd row mezz all the way to the right and there were a few moments where some action was missed, but nowhere near enough to hinder my enjoyment of the show. I’m glad I sat in the right section so I didn’t miss Lupone’s face at all during the entire nightclub scene."

Thank you! I assume you mean House Right? Buying tickets now and want to make sure I don't miss Patti at all.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#238Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 12:55pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Miserent said: "I sat 2nd row mezz all the way to the right and there were a few moments where some action was missed, but nowhere near enough to hinder my enjoyment of the show. I’m glad I sat in the right section so I didn’t miss Lupone’s face at all during the entire nightclub scene."

Thank you! I assume you mean House Right? Buying tickets now and want to make sure I don't miss Patti at all.
"

Yes if you’re sitting in a side section, buy house right. In house left, you get a great view of Lenk’s reactions to LuPone, but you miss a lot of Patti’s face. 

Updated On: 3/6/20 at 12:55 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#239Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 1:20pm

SouthernCakes said: "Yeah the key thing was quite curious and then just kind of goes away! I was intrigued by the idea of going down this rabbit hole, but it seems like it gets dropped. Did that happen in London?

"

The whole concept is built around Wonderland but I seem to still be thinking what Alice has to do with Bobby, if anything.

Zion24
#240Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 1:32pm

cant wait for this. as someone mentioned, Company is barely a show- theres barely a book- but that is also what makes each production so exciting- it totally hinges on the performers in a way other shows dont. i already know i want to see half the understudies, especially Anisha's Joanne.

kinda selfishly bummed to hear its selling so well- i was counting on TDF for this one. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#241Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 1:34pm

Much of Elliot's concept deals with Bobbie feeling trapped and suffocated by her friends. To me, the keys appear to be a possible escape plan, but instead the doors just kept leading to her friends. In act two, notice how Bobbie is dazed and anxious after the nightmare/Barcelona and lands in Susan and Peter's terrace, which is the last place she wants to be. She's constantly trying to escape but keeps finding herself in the same places and in the same rut/routine. 

Elliot and Sondheim have both said this production makes it clear that in the final scene she decides to dump her friend group, and this is evident with the way she defies them in the first part of "Being Alive." Once she's finally alone in her apartment, she's at peace, and she made a decision. This production leaves it up to the audience decipher whether her decision is indeed to find someone to love, or maybe she's finally just at peace being alone. When she blows out the final candle, it's clear this Bobbie is finally happy. 

Updated On: 3/6/20 at 01:34 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#242Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 1:41pm

ljay889 said: "Much of Elliot's concept deals with Bobbie feeling trapped and suffocated by her friends. To me, the keys appear to be apossible escape plan, but instead the doors just kept leading to her friends. In act two, notice how Bobbie is dazedand anxious afterthe nightmare/Barcelonaand landsin Susan and Peter's terrace, which is the last place she wants to be. She's constantly trying to escape but keeps finding herself in the same places and in the same rut/routine.

Elliot and Sondheim have both saidthis production makes it clear that in the final scene she decides to dump her friend group, and this is evidentwith the way she defies them in the first part of "Being Alive." Once she's finally alone in her apartment, she's at peace, andshe made a decision. This production leaves it up to the audience decipher whether her decision is indeed to find someone to love, or maybe she's finally just at peace being alone. When she blows out the final candle, it's clear this Bobbie is finally happy.
"

Yeah, I think it's clear. I'm just wondeing if all the Lewis Carroll imagery was part of a concept that was partially abandoned or it's something they will add more to in the future. Susan and Peter's last scene hints of the Cheshire cat too. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#243Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 1:41pm

blaxx said: "SouthernCakes said: "Yeah the key thing was quite curious and then just kind of goes away! I was intrigued by the idea of going down this rabbit hole, but it seems like it gets dropped. Did that happen in London?

"

The whole concept is built around Wonderland but I seem to still be thinking what Alice has to do with Bobby, if anything.
"

I think it's more of a stylistic concept; not necessarily a direct correlation between Alice and Bobbie. Unless you consider Tick-Tock and some of the scene transition things in that. <- That wasn't a spoiler, by the way. lol.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#244Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 1:45pm

The Alice references have been there since London. Some of the London critics discuss it here: https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/review-round-up-critics-company-west-end_47840.html

Elliot might be toning it down a little bit, as she has now cut the oversized purse and bottle of bourbon. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#245Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 1:48pm

ljay889 said: "The Alice references have been there since London. Some of the London critics discuss it here:https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/review-round-up-critics-company-west-end_47840.html.

Elliot might be toning it down a little bit, as she has now cut the oversized purse and bottle of bourbon.
"

Ah, so it's a choice from the designer - interesting. Well, at least it's much better than Wildhorn's Wonderland.  😁

dabrams
#246Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 2:34pm

Hey everybody.  I have a specific question regarding Lenk's singing for anyone who has seen the show.  When I saw her perform on the NYE Sondheim concert it sounded like she was still doing her Dina accent.  Was I completely imagining this?  Because I haven't seen this particular point discussed anywhere, but it struck me to the point where I had to confirm online that she is in fact American (and I consider myself a fan).   I am wondering if the "accent" (or vowel choices or whatever) are still present in this production.  Just curious, I've still got tickets for April and I can't wait to see the show!

Updated On: 3/6/20 at 02:34 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#247Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 2:45pm

Her accent in general was actually mentioned a few times in the original thread on this production.

She certainly doesn’t do a Dina accent or any particular accent in this, but I think she naturally pronounces certain syllables with a slight accent. I don’t think it’s intentional, but yes it’s heard every now and then in Company.

Updated On: 3/6/20 at 02:45 PM

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#248Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 2:57pm

dabrams said: "Hey everybody. I have a specific question regarding Lenk's singing for anyone who has seen the show. When I saw her perform on the NYE Sondheim concertit sounded like she was still doing her Dina accent. Was I completely imagining this? Because I haven't seen this particular point discussed anywhere, but it struck me to the point where I had to confirm online that she is in fact American (and I consider myself a fan).I am wondering if the "accent" (or vowel choices or whatever) are still present in this production. Just curious, I've still got tickets for April and I can't wait to see the show!"

My husband and I were in attendance on Tuesday night and I definitely heard a Dina-esque accent going when she was singing. I am surprised not more people are bringing this up. It was very odd to me, but you will not hear me criticize anything else about Lenk bc I live for her!!!

Updated On: 3/6/20 at 02:57 PM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#249Company Previews ThreadThird preview is also stopped again tonight
Posted: 3/6/20 at 4:15pm

dabrams said: "Hey everybody. I have a specific question regarding Lenk's singing for anyone who has seen the show. When I saw her perform on the NYE Sondheim concertit sounded like she was still doing her Dina accent. Was I completely imagining this? Because I haven't seen this particular point discussed anywhere, but it struck me to the point where I had to confirm online that she is in fact American (and I consider myself a fan).I am wondering if the "accent" (or vowel choices or whatever) are still present in this production. Just curious, I've still got tickets for April and I can't wait to see the show!"

I noticed this the other night as well. Odd. 

I really wanted to like this, but I have to say I was underwhelmed. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234