pixeltracker

Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20

Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 3:21pm

https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/disco-sondheim-album-losing-my-mind.html?fbclid=IwAR3w0wlZpSOPR5-hKsPhN7NT8nqfaQiBOD8qsSeXeky4A14tDNiQL2-zXqI

https://www.broadwayrecords.com/composers/losing-my-mind-a-sondheim-disco-fever-dream

Imagine Stephen Sondheim’s music and lyrics pumping through the magical haze of a discotheque. Adapted and expanded from a 2018 concert, this studio recording conceived and created by Joshua Hinck and Scott Wasserman places Sondheim's work into the popular music of the 1970's and 80's, fusing the master of musical theatre with various styles of disco.

Celebrate Stephen Sondheim’s 90th birthday with this unique and imaginative reinterpretation. Inspired by musical theatre/disco crossovers such as The Ethel Merman Disco Album and Gordon Grody’s “The Ballad of Sweeney Todd,” the 12-track album combines over forty of the master’s songs and  features the talents of Alison Luff (WaitressWicked), Blaine Krauss (PoseGreat Comet), Aneesa Folds (Freestyle Love Supreme), Charity Angél Dawson (Waitress), Vishal Vaidya (Groundhog Day), Brittnie Price (Postmodern Jukebox), Juwan Crawley (Aladdin), Deonté L. Warren (Aladdin), Joshua Hinck (Hail Oblivion), Aili Venho (50 Shades! The Musical), and Onyie Nwachukwu (Rent Natl Tour), as well as a special cameo from Chip Zien. The singers are backed by a thirteen-piece orchestra, and the album features liner notes by David Levy.

Digital Release Date: March 20, 2020
Physical Release Date: April 17, 2020

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#2Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 3:30pm

Sounds god-awful. Reminds me of the Merman disco album. Or the Liza disco Bali Hai.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#3Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 3:38pm

Can anybody think of an album less welcome in 2020 than a disco throwback? Because I sure the hell can't.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 4:07pm

Why does this get to exist while A Bed and A Chair went unrecorded?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 4:15pm

Yesssss

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#6Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 4:25pm

These tracks will play at gay bars for years to come. Can't wait.

Alessio2
#7Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 4:27pm

joevitus said: "Sounds god-awful. Reminds me of the Merman disco album. Or the Liza disco Bali Hai."

Liza's disco version of Losing My Mind on the Pet Shop Boys produced Results album is pretty epic:)

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#8Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 4:36pm

Alessio2 said: "joevitus said: "Sounds god-awful. Reminds me of the Merman disco album. Or the Liza disco Bali Hai."

Liza's disco version of Losing My Mind on the Pet Shop Boys produced Results album is pretty epic:)
"

Absolutely, that version is perfection.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#9Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/3/20 at 11:42pm

Alessio2 said: "joevitus said: "Sounds god-awful. Reminds me of the Merman disco album. Or the Liza disco Bali Hai."

"

Absolutely. Hadn't thought of that track in years. Disturbing in the right, rather than the wrong, way.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#10Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/4/20 at 9:44am

Reminds me of those 30 minute shows that take place in theme parks multiple times a day. 

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#11Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/4/20 at 1:38pm

The disco 'Ballad of Sweeney Todd' was such camp in 1979, when the OCR of the Broadway show hit the Billboard top 100 albums, a first for a cast recording in a decade.  Disco was already dying by then, but that recording was too campy to have succeeded.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#12Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/5/20 at 12:07pm

I'm so excited for this.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/5/20 at 12:21pm

"

That whole Results album is pretty epic! I still listen to it. LOVE Don't Drop Bombs.

Just give the world Love.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#14Sondheim disco album to be released by Bway Records, 3/20
Posted: 3/9/20 at 12:55pm

The guy behind this, Joshua, follows me on Twitter, so I say kudos to him and extra thanks for the follow!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com