Broadway to Close?

MollyJeanneMusic
#675Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/26/20 at 5:36pm

RWPrincess said: "Years ago there was a show on TLC called A Wedding Story. Patrick and Paige's wedding was one of the features on there. Not sure if it's streaming anywhere. Paige's full name is Mindy Paige Davis."

I think it's available on Amazon Prime for $2.  In looking, I found this cute article about their relationship:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/relationships/a19704378/paige-davis-husband-patrick-page/

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#676Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/26/20 at 6:48pm

BREAKING 
The U.S. Now Leads the World in Confirmed Coronavirus Cases

Scientists warned that the United States someday would become the country hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic. That moment arrived on Thursday.

In the United States, at least 81,321 people are known to have been infected with the coronavirus, including more than 1,000 deaths — more cases than China, Italy or any other country has seen, according to data gathered by The New York Times.

The Times is engaged in a comprehensive effort to track the details of every confirmed case in the United States, collecting information from federal, state and local officials.

With 330 million residents, the United States is the world’s third most populous nation, meaning it provides a vast pool of people who can potentially get Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#677Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/27/20 at 2:52pm

Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "4000 CASES in NYC as of this evening...NYC Needs to do this now!!!
All Californians, Nearly 40 Million People, Have Been Ordered To Stay Home To Stop The Spread Of The Coronavirus "This is a moment where we need some straight talk and we need to tell people the truth: We need to bend the curve in the state of California."
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/los-angeles-county-coronavirus-shelter-in-place?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bffbbuzzfeed&ref=bffbbuzzfeed&fbclid=IwAR2NMrpBvQjnbklVHfD-_ejYQSGd218ouw3FAeF-nmhT6EBdBGrEiIoQfKw
"

RIGHT NOW

As of Friday afternoon, there were 7,845 confirmed coronavirus cases in New York State, with 5,151 of them in New York City, according to official data.

A jump in CASES overnight from 4000 > 5151 in NYC!!!surpriseno
"

SATURDAY

5151 > 6211 CASES in NYC now!

Cuomo announced that there are 10,356 confirmed Covid-19 cases across New York. There are 3,254 new cases across New York state, Cuomo said, with at least 1,803 new cases in New York City alone for a combined total of 6,211.

Fifty-four percent of New York State cases are of people between 18 and 49 years old.

At least 45,000 people have been tested for Covid-19, and about 15% of those cases are being hospitalized.

40-60% will get the VIRUS in NY!
"

For SUNDAY

6211 > 9000 CASES in NYC

Coronavirus in N.Y.C.: Region Is Now an Epicenter of Global Pandemic

New York City and its suburbs account for roughly 5 percent of global cases, forcing officials to take urgent steps to stem the outbreak.

He said that 18- to 49-year-olds make up more than half of all cases in the state, and that more than 9,000

cases were in New York City.

There are now 15,168 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the state, up 4,812 since Saturday, and 114 deaths, Mr. Cuomo said. About 13 percent, or 1,974 people in New York who tested positive for the virus, are hospitalized, Mr. Cuomo said
"

As for today -MONDAY

According to Cuomo, New York now has 20,875 positive coronavirus cases - 12,305 in NYC!

5000 NEW CASES in NYS over night!?

WOWOWOWO!?"

As for today - TUESDAY

60% of the CASES are here in NY

NYC 15,000 CASES NYSTATE 25,656 CASES

We won't reach peak for another 2-3 weeks or so and once we do...the rest of the USA will start showing major increases in cases..."

From Tuesday > today-THURSDAY

NYCCASES 15,000 > 21,393

NYS CASES25,656 > 37,258"

For today - FRIDAY sadnosurprise

NYC CASES 25,393

NYS CASES 44,635

USA CASES 95,101

***In just one week- from last Friday > today

NYC CASES have increased from 5151 > 25,393 

NYS CASES have increased from 7845 > 44,636

Scary and concerning to think about how many CASES by next Friday April 3???

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/27/20 at 02:52 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#678Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/28/20 at 6:54pm

Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "4000 CASES in NYC as of this evening...NYC Needs to do this now!!!
All Californians, Nearly 40 Million People, Have Been Ordered To Stay Home To Stop The Spread Of The Coronavirus "This is a moment where we need some straight talk and we need to tell people the truth: We need to bend the curve in the state of California."
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/los-angeles-county-coronavirus-shelter-in-place?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bffbbuzzfeed&ref=bffbbuzzfeed&fbclid=IwAR2NMrpBvQjnbklVHfD-_ejYQSGd218ouw3FAeF-nmhT6EBdBGrEiIoQfKw
"

RIGHT NOW

As of Friday afternoon, there were 7,845 confirmed coronavirus cases in New York State, with 5,151 of them in New York City, according to official data.

"

SATURDAY

Cuomo announced that there are 10,356 confirmed Covid-19 cases across New York. There are 3,254 new cases across New York state, Cuomo said, with at least 1,803 new cases in New York City alone for a combined total of 6,211.

Fifty-four percent of New York State cases are of people between 18 and 49 years old.

At least 45,000 people have been tested for Covid-19, and about 15% of those cases are being hospitalized.

"

For SUNDAY

6211 > 9000 CASES in NYC

New York City and its suburbs account for roughly 5 percent of global cases, forcing officials to take urgent steps to stem the outbreak.

He said that 18- to 49-year-olds make up more than half of all cases in the state, and that more than 9,000

There are now 15,168 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the state, up 4,812 since Saturday, and 114 deaths, Mr. Cuomo said. About 13 percent, or 1,974 people in New York who tested positive for the virus, are hospitalized, Mr. Cuomo said
"

As for today -MONDAY

According to Cuomo, New York now has 20,875 positive coronavirus cases - 12,305 in NYC!

WOWOWOWO!?"

As for today - TUESDAY

We won't reach peak for another 2-3 weeks or so and once we do...the rest of the USA will start showing major increases in cases..."

NYCCASES 15,000 > 21,393

For today - FRIDAYsadnosurprise

NYC CASES 25,393

NYS CASES 44,635

USACASES 95,101

Scary and concerning to think abouthow many CASES by next Friday April 3???"

UPDATE CASES - SATURDAY

Friday > Saturday 

25,393 > 29,777  NYC

44,635 > 52,318  NYS

95,101 > 113,805  USA 

***They are saying this won't peak in NY for another 14-21 days or so...

45% of CASES in NY down from 60% last Tuesday

Updated On: 3/28/20 at 06:54 PM

djoko84
#679Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 7:02am

Once more tests become available where everyone can get tested then the numbers are going to keep skyrocketing, especially in NY.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#680Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 12:15pm

Cuomo just extended the “pause” in the city to 4/15.

JennH
#681Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 12:22pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Cuomo just extended the “pause” in the city to 4/15."

Maybe I'm an idiot, but did it ever have an end date to begin with? Not to mention, I'm not seeing this piece of news anywhere. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#682Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 12:59pm

I’m watching NY1

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#683Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 1:00pm

Broadway officially closed until 4/12 so this just changed that by a few days. Cuomo stated that he’s viewing extensions on a bi-weekly basis.

This was announced during today’s press conference. 

Updated On: 3/29/20 at 01:00 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#684Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 1:34pm

" Cuomo just extended the “pause” in the city to 4/15. "

Charlotte NC is in lock down until 4/16 but the government run ABC stores that sell liquor are still open -lol.

JennH
#685Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 1:51pm

Edited that I already came across his conference today about extending until 4-15, and while I get Broadway is officially dark until Easter, I still don't think his "pause" on everything non essential,, which came after Broadway announcing that's it's going dark, had an end date to begin with. Maybe it's just my assumption that everything is going to be 'dark' and closed for a while, so any end date is meaningless to me. 

Sunny11
#686Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 3:20pm

TBH I am preparing my self for the lockdown to be about 12 weeks like Wuhan, China where they think this all started.

JennH
#687Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 3:28pm

Sunny11 said: "TBH I am preparing my self for the lockdown to be about 12 weeks like Wuhan, China where they think this all started."

As in NY? NY isn't on a lockdown. It might as well be, considering everything but the essentials is closed, the only thing missing to make this that kind of lockdown is not allowing us to go outside our home except for said essentials. However, it seems more and more idiots are finally caching on to how serious this is, I keep seeing less and less people about where I'd normally see them congregating where they shouldn't. And just as a sidenote, I'm not complaining at all that liquor stores are somehow considered essential...why, I don't know, but for my own selfish purposes, I'm so fine with it LOL, because mama needs the edge taken off at times. 

Olivia11
#688Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 3:34pm

It would be helpful if the number of tests per day were released on the same day as number of cases. While I have no doubt the number of cases is truly increasing at an alarming rate, I also think we did not properly account for number of cases in the early days, because tests were not available. It might give some perspective to true growth rates (though no real data exists).

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#689Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 3:49pm

Dr. Fauci said this morning on CNN that we could see more than 100,000 deaths in the U.S. alone. We currently have 2,400+ deaths here. If that’s the case, Broadway probably ain’t opening for a long, long time, folks.

Updated On: 3/29/20 at 03:49 PM

RWPrincess
#690Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 3:52pm

Olivia11 said: "It would be helpful if the number of tests per day were released on the same day as number of cases. While I have no doubt the number of cases is truly increasing at an alarming rate, I also think we did not properly account for number of cases in the early days, because tests were not available. It might give some perspective to true growth rates (though no real data exists)."

Both the NYT and Johns Hopkins have been tracking the data so you should be able to find this info there. Cuomo also references it sometimes. 

The reason the NY numbers are so high is because we are testing so many people. All part of the process as Cuomo states almost daily in his press conferences. Based on what his team has been saying, it sounds like the NY peak is expected in the next 1-2 weeks so hopefully we will start to see new infections decline after that.

Not that it means anything for Broadway but both Walt Disney World and Disneyland are no longer accepting reservations before June 1. Initially, they said they were closed until April 1. They still may open before June 1 but looks like they are a giving themselves a good cushion not to if needed.

SwissChris
#691Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 5:36pm

I do not see Broadway opening before autumn this year, a re-opening only next year seems even more likely. In Europe we also thought in mid March that this will only take 4-6 weeks, however it is now clear that the virus will keep us locked down for at least until summer. Only then shops will re-open with limited number of customers allowed and strict health precautions, however the life then will be more similar to the lock-down situation as to our life before Corona. I cannot imagine that they will allow around 1'000 people or more to congregate in a theatre before either most people are vaccinated (unrealistic before 2021) or are immune because they contracted Covid-19 already. Everything else would be a miracle, lets still hope for it.  

Enjolras5 Profile Photo
Enjolras5
#692Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 7:39pm

"Trump extends social distancing guidelines through April 30" is now the top CNN article...it's going to be a LOT longer than that, for sure...

~E

Midnight Radio
#693Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 7:45pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Dr. Fauci said this morning on CNN that we could see more than 100,000 deaths in the U.S. alone. We currently have 2,400+ deaths here. If that’s the case, Broadway probably ain’t opening for a long, long time, folks."

Exponential growth. That wouldn't take a long, long time

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#694Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 7:53pm

Midnight Radio said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Dr. Fauci said this morning on CNN that we could see more than 100,000 deaths in the U.S. alone. We currently have 2,400+ deaths here. If that’s the case, Broadway probably ain’t opening for a long, long time, folks."

"

Very possibly, but it’s probably going to take more than expected to reach the peak. If Dr. Fauci’s prediction runs true, I’d imagine we will have lost 50,000+ by the time we reach the peak then the remainder of the deaths happening on the other side of the curve.  But let’s say that we do lose the bulk of those 100,000+ in the next few weeks. That too poses a problem as the huge loss of life in such a short period of time will also have a major impact on industries restarting. 

Jarethan
#695Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 8:26pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Midnight Radio said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Dr. Fauci said this morning on CNN that we could see more than 100,000 deaths in the U.S. alone. We currently have 2,400+ deaths here. If that’s the case, Broadway probably ain’t opening for a long, long time, folks."

"

Very possibly, but it’s probably going to take more than expected to reach the peak. If Dr. Fauci’s prediction runs true, I’d imagine we will have lost 50,000+ by the time we reach the peak then the remainder of the deaths happening on the other side of the curve.But let’s say that we do lose the bulk of those 100,000+ in the next few weeks. That too poses a problem as the huge loss of life in such a short period of time will also have a major impact on industries restarting.
"

I agree with everything you have written in this thread, with the exception of your last sentence.  If the deaths do skew significantly in the direction retired and elderly people (clearly, they are not the only ones dying), why do you think that would have a major impact on industries starting?  I will say that I do expect the travel and leisure business to be negatively impacted anger because -- between fear and loss of discretionary income --  I think people are going to be leery of going into tightly spaced theatres (movie, legitimate, etc.), restaurants (particularly those that do't have tablecloths); I suspect that apprehension will be worse the higher the death toll gets.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#696Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 8:42pm

Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "4000 CASES in NYC as of this evening...NYC Needs to do this now!!!
"

RIGHT NOW

"

SATURDAY

"

For SUNDAY

6211 > 9000 CASES in NYC

"

As for today -MONDAY

WOWOWOWO!?"

As for today - TUESDAY

NYCCASES 15,000 > 21,393

For today - FRIDAYsadnosurprise

NYC CASES 25,393

NYS CASES 44,635

USACASES 95,101

Scary and concerning to think abouthow many CASES by next Friday April 3???"

UPDATE CASES - SATURDAY

Friday > Saturday

25,393 > 29,777 NYC

44,635> 52,318 NYS

95,101 > 113,805 USA

***They are saying this won'tpeak in NYfor another 14-21 days or so...

45% of CASES in NY down from 60% last Tuesday

Update -  CASES SUNDAY

NYC 33,700 

NYS 59,513 

USA 141,096

CASES are really accelerating outside NY now: NJ, CA, MI, LA, MA, FL, IL, CO, TX, PA

Updated On: 3/29/20 at 08:42 PM

Jarethan
#697Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 8:43pm

With the moron-in-chief now extending the quarantine deadline to 4/30, I assume there will be an announcement tomorrow or Tuesday postponing performances officially for another month at least.  I wonder what the next casualties will be?  But I don't want to actually know the answers, because it is so sad.

I am sure that no-one on this board ever expected to live through something like this in our lifetime.  Impact is so awful from every perspective, with the moron bragging that his ratings are higher than The Bachelor.  OMG!!  I keep on forgetting that Coronavirus may only be the second worst thing happening to the planet presently.

I love the theatre...have loved it for more than 55 years.  Many of my fondest memories in life are of theatrical events I have attended, e.g., seeing a matinee of Follies in Boston (with several songs that never made it to Broadway), watching the complete look of pain on Jason Robards' face as Colleen Dewhurst cradled him, seeing Angela Lansbury's high kicks for the first time, etc.  When I think about getting back on the horse once it all starts up again, it is scary.  I know I will not let that delay me for too long, but how many others will take a lot longer to 'get back on the theatergoing horse'.  I fear more and more each day that recovery is going to take a lot longer than anyone here wants it to.  Someone posted awhile back that Hugh Jackman may be responsible for re-opening Broadway, in the sense that a new monster hit always energizes ticket sales.  As already stated in other threads, but becoming increasingly logical with every day, we need some other mega-stars to help with the jump start.  

AlanB3
#698Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 9:07pm

No way of knowing for sure of course, but it is also possible that pent up demand for vacation, tourism, getting out, et al, might lead to less of a need for big stars, so long as appealing shows are on the boards.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#699Broadway to Close?
Posted: 3/29/20 at 9:16pm

Jarethan said: "Miles2Go2 said: "But let’s say that we do lose the bulk of those 100,000+ in the next few weeks. That too poses a problem as the huge loss of life in such a short period of time will also have a major impact on industries restarting."

I agree with everything you have written in this thread, with the exception of your last sentence. If the deaths do skew significantly in the direction retired and elderly people (clearly, they are not the only ones dying), why do you think that would have a major impact on industries starting? I will say that I do expect the travel and leisure business to be negatively impacted anger because -- between fear and loss of discretionary income -- I think people are going to be leery of going into tightly spacedtheatres (movie, legitimate, etc.), restaurants (particularly those that do't have tablecloths); I suspect that apprehension will be worse the higher the death toll gets.
"

I’m just imagining having hospitals and makeshift morgues backed up with an overload of corpses and hospitals overflowing with the not dead, but still recovering (possibly 3 x the number of dead) may have far reaching effects we can’t even wrap our minds around right now. I hope I’m wrong.