New McDonagh film

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#1New McDonagh film
Posted: 3/21/20 at 3:43pm

Billed as the third in the Aran Islands trilogy (I thought Beauty Queen was the third?) Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are joining up again (after In Bruges) for The Banshees of Inisheer

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#2New McDonagh film
Posted: 3/21/20 at 4:16pm

Beauty Queen was the first in his Leenane trilogy along with Skull in Connemara and Lonesome West.  The Aran Islands trilogy hadn't been finished, at least until now apparently.

Broadway61004
#3New McDonagh film
Posted: 3/21/20 at 9:58pm

Banshees of Inisheer was always the third play in the Aran Islands trilogy, although it was never published or performed (rumor has it that McDonagh ripped it up as soon as he was done writing it because he hated it, but not sure if that's accurate or if any copies still exist).  But now it seems he'll finally "complete" it with a film version instead.

Falsettolands
#4New McDonagh film
Posted: 3/21/20 at 10:11pm

Broadway61004 said: "Banshees of Inisheer was always the third play in the Aran Islands trilogy, although it was never published or performed (rumor has it that McDonagh ripped it up as soon as he was done writing it because he hated it, but not sure if that's accurate or if any copies still exist). But now it seems he'll finally "complete" it with a film version instead."

This, essentially. The play has been completed for a number of years but McDonagh had reportedly deemed it filled with problems and never up to his personal standards

lachri5
#5New McDonagh film
Posted: 3/21/20 at 11:05pm

Judging from the synopsis of the original play on wikipedia and that of the movie in the press release, he rewrote the whole thing, new characters, new plot, only the title survived.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#6New McDonagh film
Posted: 3/22/20 at 3:46am

I would rather have a film of The Pillowman 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#7New McDonagh film
Posted: 3/22/20 at 9:21am

I appreciate the corrections on the trilogies.  I still need to see Skull.

JasonC3
#8New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/25/22 at 11:46am

Missed this in theatres, but really enjoyed it on HBO Max. It has some of the best crafted scenes and dialogue in McDonagh's career, and like some of his plays, nothing seems to happen, but all at a great cost. 

The cinematography is beautiful, the film's score is gorgeous, and the performances all around are quite good.  But Colin Farrell just crushes it with what may be one of his best performances ever ... so restrained, but deeply emotional and evocative.

And Colin, if you still need a friend, I am available for you.  Anytime.  Anywhere.

Updated On: 12/25/22 at 11:46 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/25/22 at 12:16pm

I loved it. One of my favorites of the year - brilliantly written and cast, and so bitingly funny. I’m glad to see it is on HBO now so I can check it out again.

vegas3
#10New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/25/22 at 12:34pm

I enjoyed it as well.

Jarethan
#11New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/25/22 at 9:23pm

I loved it too.  Thought that Farrell was incredible in a very difficult role.

I also don’t understand why McDonagh never filmed Pillowman (my favorite work of his), Cripple, Lieutenant or Leenane.  Maybe he sees it as repeating himself????

of all of them, I think Pillowman would make a great movie.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/25/22 at 10:04pm

Personally, I love how he has two separate lives as a writer - one on stage and one on film. There’s not much more I look forward to than a new McDonagh project. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/25/22 at 10:24pm

JasonC3 said: "Missed this in theatres, but really enjoyed it on HBO Max. It has some of the best crafted scenes and dialogue in McDonagh's career, and like some of his plays, nothing seems to happen, but all at a great cost.

The cinematography is beautiful, the film's score is gorgeous, and the performances all around are quite good. But Colin Farrell just crushes it with what may be one of his best performances ever ... so restrained, but deeply emotional and evocative.

And Colin, if you still need a friend, I am available for you. Anytime. Anywhere.
"

Read your comment. I have not seen the movie but pulled up the Original Score and listened. It is quite gorgeous. I plan to see it.

And Colin is mine! LOL I am still, after all these years, moved by his performance in "A Home At The End Of The World" (Also a favorite soundtrack of mine. I got to tell Duncan Sheik in person how much I loved what he wrote for it a few years after it came out) 

Just give the world Love.

SisterGeorge
#14New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/26/22 at 12:35pm

uncageg said: "JasonC3 said: "Missed this in theatres, but really enjoyed it on HBO Max. It has some of the best crafted scenes and dialogue in McDonagh's career, and like some of his plays, nothing seems to happen, but all at a great cost.

The cinematography is beautiful, the film's score is gorgeous, and the performances all around are quite good. But Colin Farrell just crushes it with what may be one of his best performances ever ... so restrained, but deeply emotional and evocative.

And Colin, if you still need a friend, I am available for you. Anytime. Anywhere.
"

Read your comment. I have not seen the movie but pulled up the Original Score and listened. It is quite gorgeous. I plan to see it.

And Colin is mine! LOL I am still, after all these years, moved by his performance in "A Home At The End Of The World" (Also a favorite soundtrack of mine. I got to tell Duncan Sheik in person how much I loved what he wrote for it a few years after it came out)

Best set of eyebrows in the business.

Sister George

JasonC3
#15New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/26/22 at 1:05pm

Those eyebrows definitely deserve a Best Supporting Actor nomination for the workout they got with all his facial expressions in this flick.  Incredible stuff.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#16New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/26/22 at 1:39pm

Didn't believe that Farrell was "dull" or that Gleeson was "depressed".  Bad casting.

But Barry Keoghan has an award winning scene.  He should be nominated for something.  

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#17New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/26/22 at 2:06pm

Jarethan said: "I loved it too. Thought that Farrell was incredible in a very difficult role.

I also don’t understand why McDonagh never filmed Pillowman (my favorite work of his), Cripple, Lieutenant or Leenane. Maybe he sees it as repeating himself????

of all of them, I think Pillowman would make a great movie.
"

Here’s what he had to say a few years ago on adapting his plays to film.

“From day one, I had a belief that it should never happen. I think it’s only ever done for money, they’re usually awful, and it usually makes the play look **** in the first place, which was probably the case. And I think if you’re writing a play, it should be its own end game, you’ll never get to do a good one unless you know it’s not a blueprint for a film, you’re not going to get the action right, and the story right. So I felt that was more honorable, to say that those stories are only going to be told in that box, in that room. And in that respect you can make them quite cinematic, I always wanted to bring as much cinema on stage as possible.”

I get what he means, but I also think he’s created some works that could transfer quite well to film - particularly The Pillowman - and I’d love it if those stories were seen and appreciated by a wider audience.

Anyway, as for Banshees, add me to the list of people calling it phenomenal.

Updated On: 12/26/22 at 02:06 PM

JSquared2
#18New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/26/22 at 2:33pm

Skip23 said: "Didn't believe that Farrell was "dull" or that Gleeson was "depressed". Bad casting.

I see we have a late entry for Most Ridiculous Comment of 2022!

JasonC3
#19New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/26/22 at 4:19pm

Gleason was embodying "despair" more than being depressed which is why he is asked about that condition numerous times in the film. 

And what does the life of Farrell's character consist of?  Feeding animals in the morning and going to the pub in the afternoon.  He has few friends, lives with his sister, and apparently lacks any interests, hobbies, or curiosity about the world. As a result, he has little to talk about in any conversation.  In short, dull.

Jarethan
#20New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/27/22 at 8:16pm

JasonC3 said: "Those eyebrows definitely deserve aBest Supporting Actor nomination for the workout they got with all his facial expressions in this flick. Incredible stuff."

I have never seen ANYONE do as much with his eyebrows as Farrell.  His eyebrows were practically a separate character in In Bruges, which is still my favorite McDonagh work to date (with Pillowman a close second and Three Billboards solidly #3).  I would so love to see a movie version of Pillowman.  May not capture the play, but at least I could see it once in awhile.

Updated On: 12/27/22 at 08:16 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/27/22 at 8:40pm

SisterGeorge said: "Best set of eyebrows in the business."

peter gallagher and eugene levy found dead in a ditch...

Jarethan
#22New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/27/22 at 10:50pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "SisterGeorge said: "Best set of eyebrows in the business."

peter gallagher and eugene levy found dead in a ditch...
"

It’s not about size…it’s about what he does with them

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23New McDonagh film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Posted: 12/27/22 at 10:59pm

Jarethan said: "It’s not about size"

tell that to

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

the sleeping cop in that one shot, which is perhaps the funniest visual gag of the movie. a perfect f-u to the police establishment by McDonagh :)