Shut down until June 7

KKeller6
#225Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/22/20 at 12:05pm

Having fewer shows per week for some productions in the early stages of reopening wouldn't shock me. The salary structure will definitely be less than 100%, and if shows are losing money doing 8 shows, they may lose less doing, say, 6, for a few weeks. There's almost no question there will be givebacks across the board at the beginning. And if they attempt to open before a vaccine, it could be dicey. Just a thought I had. Obviously there are dozens and dozens of scenarios that are possible.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#226Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/24/20 at 11:34am

Well... the touring engagements for Wicked in Canada are officially cancelled this summer from July through September. Le sigh.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#227Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/24/20 at 12:58pm

KKeller6 said: "Having fewer shows per week for some productions in the early stages of reopening wouldn't shock me. The salary structure will definitely be less than 100%, and if shows are losing money doing 8 shows, they may lose less doing, say, 6, for a few weeks. There's almost no question there will be givebacks across the board at the beginning. And if they attempt to open before a vaccine, it could be dicey. Just a thought I had. Obviously there are dozens and dozens of scenarios that are possible."

I think a handful of one-man shows and intimate concerts with megastars would work very well for a relaunch of Broadway, following the success of shows like Springsteen on Broadway. Small orchestras and "casts," barebones sets, and a possible- though unlikely- cash influx. It's a start, to say the least.

Oh look, a bibu!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#228Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/24/20 at 2:53pm

Jordan Levinson said: "KKeller6 said: "Having fewer shows per week for some productions in the early stages of reopening wouldn't shock me. The salary structure will definitely be less than 100%, and if shows are losing money doing 8 shows, they may lose less doing, say, 6, for a few weeks. There's almost no question there will be givebacks across the board at the beginning. And if they attempt to open before a vaccine, it could be dicey. Just a thought I had. Obviously there are dozens and dozens of scenarios that are possible."

I think a handful of one-man shows and intimate concerts with megastarswould work very well for a relaunch of Broadway, following the success of shows likeSpringsteen on Broadway. Small orchestras and "casts,"barebonessets, and a possible- though unlikely- cash influx. It's a start, to say the least.
"

Small shows will definitely move to the front of the line. Megastars not so much. Whatever things look like at the relaunch, there will be severe restrictions on capacity. That is why small, cheap shows will make sense, and high paid performers won't. Likewise, fewer performances per week make no sense at all: with lower capacity, the incentive would be to max out the number of performances. In the appropriate situation, maybe even a deal to ADD performances.

There is a lot of muddled thinking in this thread.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#229Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/24/20 at 5:06pm

Jordan Levinson said: "KKeller6 said: "Having fewer shows per week for some productions in the early stages of reopening wouldn't shock me. The salary structure will definitely be less than 100%, and if shows are losing money doing 8 shows, they may lose less doing, say, 6, for a few weeks. There's almost no question there will be givebacks across the board at the beginning. And if they attempt to open before a vaccine, it could be dicey. Just a thought I had. Obviously there are dozens and dozens of scenarios that are possible."

I think a handful of one-man shows and intimate concerts with megastarswould work very well for a relaunch of Broadway, following the success of shows likeSpringsteen on Broadway. Small orchestras and "casts,"barebonessets, and a possible- though unlikely- cash influx. It's a start, to say the least.
"

Springsteen - Back on Broadway

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

KKeller6
#230Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 12:35am

I'm unsure why less than 8 shows a week "makes no sense at all"? When Broadway does return, there is a good chance houses won't be full. Some shows may actually lose money on performances. I mean, less patrons means less money coming in, right? That seems to make sense. Now, I would not be shocked if there is a lot of creativity on the producer's part during the return. What if the company got paid per show other than the standard  "8 shows a week"? This seems like a real possibility to me because the crowds may be VERY sparse at the beginning. And the choice will be, either take a cut in pay, or close shows. As a crew member, if I'm going to take a cut in pay-which we were already advised will almost certainly happen-a better compromise would be do less shows. 8 shows just  might not all be necessary for months. Maybe 6 shows a week. They may even stagger some shows so it's not a madhouse on, say, 45th st. on a Saturday night. Can't be much social distancing if every theatre is loading up people at 7:30. It's a madhouse before and after the show. Just trying to think creatively here. Interesting why it's seemed as not making any sense, when that's exactly what I would negotiate for the cast and crew if a salary cut was "inevitable".  As far as adding shows go, a 9th show, and more, is paid at a premium. I can't see a cut in pay AND additional shows working. But, I wouldn't put anything past them. 

Updated On: 4/25/20 at 12:35 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#231Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 12:38am

Take A Drive Through An Empty Times Square 

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/video-take-drive-through-empty-times-square?fbclid=IwAR00QJeo9jJ0_0DVKxL2a-uCNNu_OE3qNsmlcHX18Qg1MOlWKst-yLoQizM

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/photos/nyc-empty-streets-march-2020?image=24

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/25/20 at 12:38 AM

Sunny11
#232Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 5:42am

HogansHero said: 
Small shows will definitely move to the front of the line. Megastars not so much. Whatever things look like at the relaunch, there will be severe restrictions on capacity. That is why small, cheap shows will make sense, and high paid performers won't. Likewise, fewer performances per week make no sense at all: with lower capacity, the incentive would be to max out the number of performances. In the appropriate situation, maybe even a deal to ADD performances.

There is a lot of muddled thinking in this thread.
"

let’s say a producer decided that post lockdown  a one man production of city of angels was do able under the public health guidelines. Just one person on a bare stage playing every part with only a piano accompaniment.  You have the option of jake gyllenhaal or a little known but talented stage actor.

You will still need to attract ticket buyers. When  your product is stripped down from what the target buyers are used to         ( less orchestra and tech crew for instance) then having another selling point like a famous actor might be just a requirement  to get enough butts in the seats. 

Updated On: 4/25/20 at 05:42 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#233Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 10:31am

@KKeller6 What you are suggesting is not economically viable. You have to remember that people do not produce shows that are guaranteed to lose money and what you are describing is a design with that result.

@Sunny11 Again, the key is a roadmap for economic viability. A name would obviously help but a high paid one would not. Jake might well be willing to work for relatively little but remember that these early audiences are not going to include the tourist throngs that make names so important. It is unlikely they will return without a vaccine or some other effective elimination of the virus. 

Another idea I heard mentioned was having off-B companies perform in Broadway houses. It would take a lot of agreements but it might get the juices flowing.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#234Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 11:20am

Between the need for social distancing and the fact that an enormous number of people are unemployed or facing some sort of reduced income, this is a very difficult position for theatre. As Hogan correctly points out, a Broadway production cannot just only sell a fraction of its house. It’s not a viable financial strategy, unless they drastically increase the price of the available tickets... which isn’t viable either, due to the depressed economy.

The executive director of AEA mentioned an idea in which Broadway productions become a hybrid of in-person and streaming tickets- a number of limited in-person seating, and the rest of the tickets are for a stream of the performance, which would in theory make up for some of the lost revenue. I don’t really know how viable that would be either, but we’re going to be seeing a lot of hitherto unseen proposals and solutions like that.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#235Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 12:02pm

"hitherto unseen" is the new normal. Even if there were magically a vaccine before the end of the year, things are going to be different, in terms of health issues and economics as well. Those here who simply think this is a matter of dusting everything off and resuming the status quo ante are laboring under a severe misapprehension. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#236Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 12:22pm

You also have to look at protecting cast members, crews and the front of the house staffs. Many are in positions of being in tight quarters with one another. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#237Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 1:51pm

HogansHero said: ""hitherto unseen" is the new normal. Even if there were magically a vaccine before the end of the year, things are going to be different, in terms of health issues and economics as well. Those here who simply think this is a matter of dusting everything off and resuming the status quo ante are laboring under a severe misapprehension."

Yes, exactly. Although the outward face of the industry is measured optimism (slowly eroding), behind the scenes the outlook is far more grim.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/25/20 at 01:51 PM

KKeller6
#238Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 5:41pm

I'm just looking at the beginning of things. I'm assuming tourism, and the level of people in NYC wiling to go to a Broadway show will be a lot less, wouldn't you agree? So, for a few months, to help attract patrons, you can certainly remove some seats, or not sell them to make them feel more comfortable. I don't see why this is such negatively viewed for a period of time. Hamilton nets about $2million per week. More, on many occasions. So, removing seats, or selling less than 100% of the seats can still return a profit. Playing less shows per week than 8 can also still return a profit. The Music Man can probably be played under similar circumstances. (Wicked as well, and probably a few other shows.) Although, I'm not saying they will gross more than Hamilton. But, I do believe shows will have to be creative in the beginning to attract audiences. Lower ticket prices, less sold seats in cramped houses, and staggered showtimes may be a few things that help. We have to think outside the box here until things pick up. For a show like Come From Away that grosses and nets less than these huge shows, different ideas may prove to be difficult for them. But, do they want to remain shuttered while other shows are playing? If not, shows like that as well, may have to lose some money, or try and break even for a few months. Even if their model is not great for awhile. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#239Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 5:59pm

Do you think they would actually do that though? Remove seats, make tickets dirt cheap, etc. They know people will be slow to get back to theater, especially older people. Will they open and barely make any money? Or wait another four months, when people will feel comfortable and safe, and open then? 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#241Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/25/20 at 7:23pm

@KKeller6 Yes we will have to think outside of the box but what you are proposing is not practical. What you are proposing is a scenario where a show, knowing that it is going to lose over a million dollars a month, opens/reopens anyway. Would you do that if it were your money? Likewise, you speak of "removing some seats." Do you realize that we are talking about removing 900 seats from inventory? That's what is realistic from a public health standpoint. Even Hamilton (or Music Man) can't fly on those terms. And you are proposing less performances! I don't know a producer willing to tell an investor that we are going to lose money. That's an alternate universe, not outside of the box. And you mention breaking even: but what you propose would not even allow Hamilton to break even. The reality check: it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Sorry. Bummer. But that is indeed the new normal.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#242Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:44pm

We all miss this...but when I see all these people it makes me really think...hmmmm, wow that's a lot of people squeezed  so closely together! 

Shut down until June 7

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#243Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/27/20 at 10:54pm

Robbie2 said: "We all miss this...but when I see all these people itmakes me really think...hmmmm, wow that's a lot of people squeezed so closely together!

Shut down until June 7
"

I see myself, lol. Definitely crazy this was only in March. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#244Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/28/20 at 2:05am

It would be so cool to have VR live streaming, but it might take years for the tech to actually catch up (if the tech actually takes off) 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#245Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/28/20 at 8:53pm

ljay889 said: "Robbie2 said: "We all miss this...but when I see all these people itmakes me really think...hmmmm, wow that's a lot of people squeezed so closely together!

Shut down until June 7
"

I see myself, lol. Definitely crazy this was only in March.
"

LOL how about here? 

Shut down until June 7

Addendum
#246Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/29/20 at 12:27am

Patti LuPone said on WWHL Monday night that she doesn't expect Broadway to be back until "Next year" Shut down until June 7

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#247Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/29/20 at 2:10am

SmoothLover said: "What reality is Hugh Jackman living in?"

Exactly.  No matter how much I wish it wasn't the case, I just don't see how big productions would be able to return until at least March 2021. Perhaps the investors just want to hold on to the ticket sales money for as long as they can to accumulate the monetary interest.

I also don't think they could remove seats - and if they did would anyone want to experience a show in this way.  Part of the joy of live theatre for me is being packed in and feeling the energy in the room.  if everyone is far away from each other it would feel quite dead to me.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#248Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/29/20 at 6:08am

Addendum said: "Patti LuPone said on WWHL Monday night that she doesn't expect Broadway to be back until "Next year" Shut down until June 7"

Well, maybe next year.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#249Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/29/20 at 10:21am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Addendum said: "Patti LuPone said on WWHL Monday night that she doesn't expect Broadway to be back until "Next year" Shut down until June 7"

Well, maybe next year.
"

What she actually said was that’s she’s being told January.