Racist Rainbow

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#75Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 12:23pm

He's a favorite of relatively offline baby boomers, though, if my family (extremely Trump-hating, not on any social media) is any indication. I get enthusiastic group emails nearly every time he puts a video out.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#76Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 12:25pm

LizzieCurry said: "Amazing to be a member of this board long enough to post and somehow miss him showing up in a sidebar every other day."

Me too. I was wondering why they refused to delete this thread, defending it in like six different emails yesterday. Now I get it. Repugnant. (oh, this is an opinion mods, but I know you will delete it because you refuse to be called out). Racist Rainbow

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#77Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 12:39pm

Sutton Ross said: "CT2NYC said: "Here's an actual article, to show that the OP isn't the only one talking about this:

Says the user who creates a thread every week every time this
<<edited by BWW staff>>  person goes online.Nobody cares.

Whoops

Yeah, nobody cares
"

I posted that in defense of the OP, who people immediately started ganging up on, rather than doing a Google search to see that it was actually something that was also being discussed elsewhere. It had nothing to do with either supporting or condemning Randy Rainbow, whose videos I post because many people enjoy them.

Updated On: 8/19/20 at 12:39 PM

Sutton Ross
#78Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 12:45pm

"In honor of MLK Day, last night I HAD A DREAM: Natalie Portman and I were eating blizzards at Dairy Queen. You're welcome, black people." - Randy Rainbow 

A lot of people enjoy his posts......k. 

Sutton Ross
#79Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 12:46pm

Oh, and the fact that you start THREADS about him so he gets more views is the very definition of supporting him. 

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#80Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:00pm

I haven't seen this much racist apologia on BWW since people came down on Dominique Morriseau for daring to show enthusiasm watching THE CHRISTIANS.  Or, going even farther back, people's passionate defense of Shirley Q. Liquor.

Ah, theatre people.  The world may be changing, but you never will. 

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Same As It Ever Was
#81Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:07pm

FYI, they deleted my posts that mentioned racism apologists. 

I mean they had to have a discussion about leaving a thread up, for god’s sake.

Same As It Ever Was
#82Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:08pm

Oh

Updated On: 8/19/20 at 01:08 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#83Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:11pm

Sutton Ross said: "Haha. Not admitting that you are literally supporting him by posting threads is what is exhausting. Cute attempt at pivoting though."

CT2NYC may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what they're trying to say is that the threads about Randy Rainbow were before the Tweets resurfaced, so while posting the threads may have been a form of support, it wasn't the kind of support that was meant to condone his actions. Because presumably, CT2NYC didn't know about the racist Tweets when they posted those threads. If CT2NYC were to continue posting threads about him even after this has come to light, that would be a different matter. But that hasn't happened, so those old threads aren't really relevant to CT2NYC's current stance. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#84Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:13pm

Sutton Ross said: ""In honor of MLK Day, last night I HAD A DREAM: Natalie Portman and I were eating blizzards at Dairy Queen. You're welcome, black people." - Randy Rainbow

A lot of people enjoy his posts......k"

His musical parody videos have millions of views on YouTube, with tens of thousands of likes for each one, so, yes, many people enjoy them, and, by sharing them, I was supporting him in those endeavors. About the particular matter of his tweets, however, I'm reserving judgment, for now. 

Now, will you please just stop talking?

Updated On: 8/19/20 at 01:13 PM

Sutton Ross
#85Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:19pm

Nah, but try controlling other people on the internet, see how far you get. Kiss. 

CT2NYC may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what they're trying to say is that the threads about Randy Rainbow were before the Tweets resurfaced, so while posting the threads may have been a form of support, it wasn't the kind of support that was meant to condone his actions. Because presumably, CT2NYC didn't know about the racist Tweets when they posted those threads. If CT2NYC were to continue posting threads about him even after this has come to light, that would be a different matter. But that hasn't happened, so those old threads aren't really relevant to CT2NYC's current stance. 

Thanks J, I considered that. But, here's the thing. Randy has written horrible posts like that just in recent years. He has always done this and would probably still write things like that today. While I hope those annoying threads stop, I doubt they will. All because that poster can't admit that posting his videos gets Randy more likes, traffic and subscribers. This poster has admitted before how they hate to be wrong, but they clearly are here. I won't expect them to admit this or not post about Randy's insufferable show moving forward. Appreciate your thoughts, as always. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#86Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:20pm

Thanks for the defense, JBroadway. Once again, our similar posts overlapped.

SeanD2
#87Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:49pm

The rampant transphobia in the gay community is well documented. Sure they may pay lip service to trans rights, but in a recent survey only 12% of gay men said they would be willing to date a transgender partner. Randy Rainbow's "jokes" are part of this problem. The fact that many of the people here defending Randy Rainbow are out gay men and using drag performers like RuPaul to defend their transphobia isn't surprising. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#88Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:52pm

Sutton Ross said: "Thanks J, I considered that. But, here's the thing. Randy has written horrible posts like that just in recent years. He has always done this and would probably still write things like that today. While I hope those annoying threads stop, I doubt they will. All because that poster can't admit that posting his videos gets Randy more likes, traffic and subscribers. This poster has admitted before how they hate to be wrong, but they clearly are here. I won't expect them to admit this or not post about Randy's insufferable show moving forward. Appreciate your thoughts, as always."

By posting his videos, I've given Randy Rainbow more traffic, and, possibly, more likes and followers. I have no problem admitting that, because it's a fact, but I'm not sure what I'm "wrong" about. Are you saying I should admit I was wrong to post his Broadway musical parody videos before I (and most people) knew about these controversial tweets? Was I wrong not to research Randy Rainbow's social media posts before I gave him exposure on here, a website that already has an affiliation with him? I just don't get it.

Sutton Ross
#89Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:55pm

The fact that many of the people here defending Randy Rainbow are out gay men and using drag performers like RuPaul to defend their transphobia isn't surprising.

Well, I am surprised by it honestly. But, I am a straight woman so I guess I don't get it. Tearing down your own community gets these men what, exactly? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#90Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:57pm

It seems as though he's deleted everything from prior to April 30 from his Twitter.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#91Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 1:59pm

Is that post from a DECADE ago me? Obviously it is. What’s your point?

LizzieCurry
#92Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:05pm

CT2NYC, it's perfectly fine to enjoy the current product AND be upset or disgusted by the history of the creator. It doesn't mean you were wrong to share the stuff because you didn't vet previously.

Same As It Ever Was
#93Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:09pm

He’s probably working on a parody of You've Got To Be Carefully Taught, even as we speak. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#94Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:11pm

SeanD2 said: "The rampant transphobia in the gay community is well documented. Sure they may pay lip service to trans rights, but in a recent survey only 12% of gay men said they would be willing to date a transgender partner."

You can't "really" support someone unless you're willing to date them? Gee, does that mean I can't really support women unless I'm willing to date them? Cuz I'm gay. 

Oh, and the phase "willing to date a transgender partner." Don't you kinda have to have already gone through the dating phase to have become somebody's partner? I guess if someone has a transgender partner, they've already dated them at some point, no?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#95Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:14pm

I don't care about cancelling him, or anyone really. At this point we've cancelled so many people I can't keep track of who and what's left.

But he does need to respond somehow, but not in one of those gaslighting "I'm sorry if some people were offended" semi-apologies. 

<<edited by BWW staff>>

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 8/19/20 at 02:14 PM

SeanD2
#96Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:41pm

joevitus said: "SeanD2 said: "The rampant transphobia in the gay community is well documented. Sure they may pay lip service to trans rights, but in a recent survey only 12% of gay men said they would be willing to date a transgender partner."

You can't "really" support someone unless you're willing to date them? Gee, does that mean I can't really supportwomen unless I'm willing to date them? Cuz I'm gay.

Oh, and the phase"willing to date a transgender partner." Don't you kinda have to have already gone through thedatingphase to have become somebody's partner? I guess if someone has a transgender partner, they've already dated them at some point, no?
"

It's an extension of the TERF's who while they may support trans rights they don't consider trans men to be actual men. When 88% of gay men say they wouldn't date a trans man as a personal policy then that does get to evidence of transphobia. Not the only evidence, but it's some of it.

LizzieCurry
#97Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 3:19pm

Kad, I was ready to say you were mistaken, but I'm guessing those tweets were loading from my cache, because oddly enough pretty much the entirety of the robbedsettos twitter thread was intact. I reloaded and they're gone. Interesting.

Anyway, cool thread that assured me I was right when I chose who to block around here!

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#98Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 3:20pm

Also, yesterday while this story was starting to unfold in this thread.. there were (at least) 2 RR videos in the 'Hot Stories' column, now there are none. There is actually no mention of RR anywhere on the main BWW screen that loads (on my comp, at least). So it does seem someone here at BWW has responded by removing the front page clickable video links.. but there is still not an article speaking to the twitter posts in debate on here either... and you can still find the videos if you search for RR.

Considering RR's vids are probably huge traffic makers for BWW, I'm not surprised by their indifferent silence.. 

For the record, I have always found RR to be insufferable and obnoxious in the presentations of the content posted here.. so this new information doesn't surprise me in any way. If RR had truly changed (or even cared about the POSSIBILITY of offending a growing fan base), the Twitter history would have been deleted.. leaving it up.. especially as RR's star began to rise.. tells me all I need to know.. 

ViniFromBrazil
#99Racist Rainbow
Posted: 8/19/20 at 5:02pm

Look, I think most people have made their remarks about the topic and all, but I just can't help but wonder why a user popped up from nowhere specifically to post several tweets from Randy Rainbow in a highly controversial topic...

I mean, am I really the only one that finds it suspicious?

Videos