Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update- Page 3

Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update

#50Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 9:06am

informative

Fosse76
#51Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 9:20am

She's sounding more and more like the delusional Beetlejuice fans who think the show is coming back. Though in her case I want it to be true.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#52Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 9:25am

Well, I do always think back to Chita who had been saying since like 2005 "The Visit" was coming to Broadway every other season. Eventually, it did. Dreams do come true!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 9:47am

If she’s saying she’s hoping filming starts within a few months then I’m thinking the project might actually be farther along than we realize.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#54Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 10:29am

I hope it happens but she does basically say it's "all ready to go" except everything you need to be ready to shoot a movie including the financing.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#55Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 10:37am

God bless her. She’s “‘manifesting” this by speaking about it but she’s been “manifesting” this film in the press for a few years now. Seems she’s the only one. If she hasn’t been able to get funding by this point, especially with all her recent high profile projects, this puppy ain’t happening. I do think it’ll eventually happen but with another actress. This will go the route of Streisand’s GYPSY.

Fosse76
#56Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 11:01am

CATSNYrevival said: "I hope it happens but she does basically say it's "all ready to go" excepteverything you need to be ready to shoot a movie including the financing."

We have everything we need, except financing, a director, a supporting cast, filming locations, Paramount's approval...but that'll take no time at all to get in place by June!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#57Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 11:26am

CATSNYrevival said: "I hope it happens but she does basically say it's "all ready to go" except everything you need to be ready to shoot a movie including the financing."

Yep...and especially with the ultra-shaky Paramount as rightsholder and an unknown entity (Rob Ashford) directing, this ain't going anywhere.

Best case scenario for Glenn: IF on April 25 at the Oscars Glenn wins Supporting Actress, Chris Hampton wins Best Screenplay, and MANK wins a few awards (none of which is likely to happen), that could be enough for Netflix to buy the rights from Paramount, since they seem committed to musicals, movies about Hollywood, and masturbatory passion projects. But that's a pie-in-the-sky scenario.

Also, ALW's also no dummy. There are other women who could play this role who have more box office clout than Glenn Close and might be able to attract a real director. Even Nicole Kidman or Cate Blanchett would bring more box office/financing weight to it. Or in 20 years, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, JHud, Cynthia Erivo...etc.

THE VISIT only happened because Terrence McNally's husband, Tom Kirdahy, made it happen (and it was a colossal financial failure for everyone he persuaded to invest in it). SUNSET would need that equivalent, and its billionaire author obviously doesn't seem in a rush to step up. And I don't blame him!

Claudia Draper
#58Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 11:35am

BARBRA !!! 

BrodyFosse123
#59Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 11:40am

Claudia Draper said: "BARBRA !!!"

Barba is almost 80.  Norma is 50.  Barbra physically won’t even be able to glide down those stairs without CGI help.  Vocally her voice is shot but they can sweetened that with technology.  

Claudia Draper
#60Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 11:57am

CLOSE is 74. BARBRA will be 79 in 11 days. BARBRA Voice now is better then Close ever was.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#61Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 11:57am

I hope in the movie version they cut about 70% of this boring and relentless score. I love "Surrender", "With One Look", "New Ways to Dream" and "It's As If We Never Said Goodbye", but happy to throw the rest in the bin. My pipe dream would also be that Liza Minelli played the role. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BrodyFosse123
#62Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 12:07pm

Sadly, Liza isn’t physically nor vocally able to perform in any capacity anymore. She’s limited to her mobility and the voice isn’t there anymore, as we saw from videos of her birthday celebration a few short weeks ago.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#63Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 1:58pm

How about Catherine Zeta Jones in the role? I imagine that she can handle the score and she can be in a good movie musical, since Rock of Ages criminally wasted her talents.

KFC1991
#64Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 2:02pm

I'm a big fan of Close as Norma and even I am not interested in seeing a movie of this. I hate that Glenn so badly wants this to happen because I think she will be disappointed when it doesn't happen.
If it does get made I can see it being another Nine: awful musical movie version of a masterpiece film.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#65Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 2:06pm

Should have just filmed the concert for one of the streaming platforms.

Wildcard
#66Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 2:08pm

If and when this movie gets made, this is the role Glenn should get her Oscar for. Whether she's good in it or not, she has so much passion for the role that the career Oscar recognition should be given to her (in the same way that Judi Dench and Tommy Lee Jones got the Oscars for roles that didn't warrant the award)

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#67Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 2:23pm

CATSNYrevival said: "Should have just filmed the concert for one of the streaming platforms."

As an avid Sunset fan, who 28 years later still listen to the score regularly, I personally want to see a movie just to have another experience of what I think is one of ALW's best scores (and hoping that as a "new number" that perhaps they're going to re-write the finale which has always seemed to be the one thing that was lacking).

That being said, I've kind of lost the enthusiasm I had for this.  The length of time for it to come together as a full movie-musical is reminiscent of Cats.  As much as Close had this amazing presence even in the revival that helped her to overcome the shortcomings vocally, not sure that's going to translate well on film without a live audience, and not sure even as a story will be a draw as for many (most?) people have little understanding of the history of films let alone the "silent era."  

I agree filming the live production in front of a live audience, perhaps with the original Napier sets -in front of a live audience (as they did so well with Love Never Dies) would seem the best bet.

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#68Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 2:29pm

I was ready to have a film of this, but it’s taking so long I’m really not that interested anymore. And I also think Close has aged out of the part. She’s edging closer to three decades since first playing it. It would be one thing if she’s the only woman for the job, but I don’t think that’s the case.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#69Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 2:49pm

chernjam said: "not sure even as a story will be a draw as for many (most?) people have little understanding of the history of films let alone the "silent era."

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning here. People make period films, TV shows, and stage plays all the time.

chernjam said: "I agree filming the live production in front of a live audience, perhaps with the original Napier sets -in front of a live audience (as they did so well with Love Never Dies) would seem the best bet."

That would indeed have been best.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#70Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 3:00pm

Barbra has said many times over the years that she was offered the film version of SB twice, and turned it down both times.  

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#71Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 3:05pm

chernjam said: "CATSNYrevival said: "Should have just filmed the concert for one of the streaming platforms."

As an avid Sunset fan, who 28 years later still listen to the score regularly, I personally want to see a movie just to have another experience of what I think is one of ALW's best scores (and hoping that as a "new number" that perhaps they're going to re-write the finale which has always seemed to be the one thing that was lacking).

That being said, I've kind of lost the enthusiasm I had for this. The length of time for it to come together as a full movie-musical is reminiscent of Cats. As much as Close had this amazing presence even in the revival that helped her to overcome the shortcomings vocally, not sure that's going to translate well on film without a live audience, and not sure even as a story will be a draw as for many (most?) people have little understanding of the history of films let alone the "silent era."

I agree filming the live production in front of a live audience, perhaps with the original Napier sets -in front of a live audience (as they did so well with Love Never Dies) would seem the best bet.

"

I could have written this myself. I, too, listen to the cast recording on a regular basis (Close, Carroll, Lupone, Buckley, Schneider...I have them from the 90s!).  But I'm afraid this will end up on Netflix or Amazon if this does go forward with Close, who's now 74. (Streisand should have done it 20 years ago instead of 'Fockers', IMO).

As for the Minnelli / Collins duet, I think Collins sounded and looked better than Minnelli. Maybe Collins can star as Norma Desmond...maybe Linda Evans as Betty Schaffer, and throw in a fight in Norma's Lily Pond and we're all set. (Why not bring back Jeff James as 'Joe Gillis'?). 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#72Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 3:33pm

David10086, yes Barbra made a fortune - fortune on both of the Focker films with her salary, and her piece of the financial pie.   Both films earned massive profits all over the world.  That was a no brainer for her.  

She also said in multiple interviews, that they were easy films to do, and she liked the fact that it was an ensemble piece, and not all the expectations were on her.  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#73Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 3:36pm

nealb1 said: "Barbra has said many times over the years that she was offered the film version of SB twice, and turned it down both times."

Do we know why she turned it down?

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#74Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
Posted: 4/13/21 at 3:47pm

binau said: "nealb1 said: "Barbra has said many times over the years that she was offered the film version of SB twice, and turned it down both times."

Do we know why she turned it down?
"

In an interview in 2012  ("The Guilt Trip"Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update, she had said the project had a long way to go to becoming a movie. It still read as a stage musical when it was presented to her. 

Videos