Broadway By Fall?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#75Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/9/21 at 10:31pm

That is the goal with my friend's new musical in Chicago, The Secret of My Success. Mid-Fall is the goal. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#76Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 11:11am

Just read that the Broadway League expects theater to return by the fall. Older shows like Phantom may open sooner. .They say masks will be mandatory and proof of vaccination will be needed. They agree that social distancing will not work and is not even in the cards .

Fewer restaurants might be an issue. .They should put a sign in each box office that there is no social distancing so some people don't get their panties in a wad. Enjoy to one and all

Hopefully this will signal a normal thanksgiving and Christmas season. Time will tell

Poster Emeritus

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#77Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 11:33am

Once again, St. Martin proves more clueless than imaginable. LOL

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#78Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 11:53am

Whatever. Sounds like the only way it can reopen as social distancing and Broadway are like oil and water.

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#79Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 11:53am

Whatever. Sounds like the only way it can reopen as social distancing and Broadway are like oil and water.

Poster Emeritus

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#80Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 11:56am

Yes, I think theaters may require masks for a reopening so audience members can feel safe and comfortable, but a lot of the longer-running shows will NOT reopen first. That's basically St. Martin saying overseas tourists are going to come back to NYC in droves by early fall, which probably won't happen for at least another year in reality.

Oh look, a bibu!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#81Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 12:03pm

It will be a vastly different audience. If they try to increase prices they will shoot themselves in the foot.

It may come back but will be vastly different. Shows that might have hung on for months will not happen. I just hope we have a normal holiday season this year.

Poster Emeritus

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#82Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 12:05pm

No question there will be masks through at least early 2022, and no question that it's not going to be mostly long runners at first. Incidentally, I have no idea what Roxy is talking about vis-a-vis restaurants. Not counting tourist places, places that are not open already (I have no trouble eating and eating well in the area, at the places at which I have always eaten, right now) are chomping at the bit and as we see the slow open of theatres we will see a parallel reopening of closed restaurants. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#83Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 12:31pm

I love the theatre. It’s where I would most love to be. But I can’t see myself paying for tickets and sitting for two hours with a mask on and spending most of the show telling others to put their masks on. I’ve spent more than enough time telling people to stop talking and texting at a show. I can’t imagine how theatres will enforce mask wearing. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#84Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 3:47pm

No question that one of the many concerns that producers have right now is how many people feel like you do about wearing a mask to the theatre (and how long it might be before you change your mind and what they can do to ease you into that change). Personally, I do not think it will be that large a cohort (could I be wrong? of course) and I think there is at least a chance that once you get reports on how things are going you may change your mind. But as with everything, we shall see.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#85Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 3:47pm

Big secret

Many masks will come off once the lights go down

Poster Emeritus

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#86Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 3:52pm

Among the many elements of its protocol, Equity has included a requirement that the mask wearing protocol be enforced. I have not studied what is being proposed, but I think the ejection without refund system is likely to be met by fairly high compliance, especially considering ticket prices, something with which you are amply familiar. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#87Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 4:46pm

HogansHero said: "Among the many elements of its protocol, Equity has included a requirement that the mask wearing protocol be enforced. I have not studied what is being proposed, but I think the ejection without refund system is likely to be met by fairly high compliance, especially considering ticket prices, something with which you are amply familiar."

I wonder who would be enforcing this? Ushers? They refuse to address most problematic behavior as it is. I can't get them to reprimand someone on their phone during a show.  I don't see them getting into it with an anti-masker. Will the cops be called for every show to eject those with mask non-compliance?

As someone else noted, I don't go to NYC and Broadway to incur additional stress, I visit to escape. I visit 4-5 times a year to binge theater. I can't see returning until there is more normalcy and less ambiguous protocols. 

I don't think international visitors are clamoring to return to the US at the moment after seeing how hideous our government has treated them the past few years. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#88Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 5:04pm

Agree with you but head scratching re how hideous people were treated. Other countries were probably far worse. Would like examples of how hideous they were treated .

Broadway will not return as it was pre covid for years of it ever does

Poster Emeritus

Tom5
#89Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 5:39pm

I sort of agree with Bettyboy 72 and Mr. Roxy. The happiest part of my day for some time now is when I'm back in my car after a  shopping excursion and am able to get my mask off. I'm probably in the top one percent of theatre enthusiasts but will still not be returning for the foreseeable future or at least until the time when mask wearing anywhere is no longer a necessity and I can believe it.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#90Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 5:41pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I wonder who would be enforcing this?

My guess would be that it would end up being covid monitors, which I gather is what they are doing in Australia. For what it's worth, I anticipate maybe half a dozen shows in the fall, not enough to make a healthy binge out of, and that the protocols will be gone before the spring when I have said I expect there to be double that number added. (The interesting gray area is The Music Man.) I think that addresses your following point somewhat. I think it will be 23-24 before international visitors (not counting Canada lol) return (though not for lack of clamor) and hence why I think the notion of these tourist shows leading the charge beyond silly. And yes Broadway will be back in due course, presumably without Roxy unless this was all just a big posture on his part. LOL

As someone else noted, I don't go to NYC and Broadway to incur additional stress, I visit to escape. I visit 4-5 times a year to binge theater. I can't see returning until there is more normalcy and less ambiguous protocols.

I don't think international visitors are clamoring to return to the US at the moment after seeing how hideous our government has treated them the past few years.
"

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#91Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 6:19pm

Still so confused why Roxy, who insists he is never returning to the theatre, continues to be so invested in the discussion of its return. I come here to read about theories and possibilities because I'm excited for the possible return, can't imagine continuing to post about something I never plan to involve myself with again.

I keep going back and forth between optimistic and pessimistic about the return. Lately, for my own sanity, I've been leaning more towards optimism. As other posters have said, I do think when people are given the OK re: safety that they will be eager to return to doing activities they've missed, which of course will greatly benefit Broadway. If wearing a mask is something you don't want to do, understandable, stay home. But given that the primary audience at first will be locals, I don't think that's going to keep too many people away since we've all become so accustom to wearing them. I've gone to the movie theater multiple times in the past week and wearing a mask hasn't been a problem in the slightest. If you live in New York, you wear it immediately when you step out. Sure there's the occasional person walking with no mask on but it's just about one for every hundred people (and this is just outside alone, where it is considerably safer to go maskless). 

To enter the theatre, it seems like you're going to have to present proof of vaccination. The mask will seemingly just be a precautionary measure to take the extra step towards safety and to test the waters. Could be a bumpy first few months but they're sure to expect that. Here's hoping the two year anniversary of the Broadway shutdown looks a lot different from its one year anniversary. 

Updated On: 3/11/21 at 06:19 PM

SouthernCakes
#92Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 7:00pm

Hugh Jackson lead Music Man should be the first to open! A big splashy fun musical I think would put everyone in great spirits! But so much unknown just to get that to open - rehearsal etc.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#93Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 7:15pm

Hugh Jackman and he sucks, anxious to see Company.

Stephanatic

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#94Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 8:00pm

@LesWickedly I pretty much agree up and down what you wrote. A few observations I would offer: we are trying to prognosticate based on a black box. My sense is that most of the anxiety-inducing questions we have on our plate now will be resolved (hopefully to the satisfaction of everyone except Roxy) long before it is time to reopen Broadway. Yes we may have a few stunts by then -- things that we will laugh about in the years to come -- but by fall (actually, before Fall, soon enough so people can make some more concrete plans) we will have many answers and a better sense of where we are and what ground we still have left to cover to have the virus in the rear view mirror. And then another day will come and we WILL have the virus in the rear view mirror. That's not optimism, it's realism. Finally, think back 3 months to the day. That's when the first vaccine was approved. Think about what has happened since. Now think forward 3 months. Have a Happy 4th Broadway By Fall?

ArtMan
#95Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 8:27pm

EthelMae said: "I love the theatre. It’s where I would most love to be. But I can’t see myself paying for tickets and sitting for two hours with a mask on and spending most of the show telling others to puttheir masks on. I’ve spent more than enough time telling people to stop talking and texting at a show. I can’t imagine how theatres will enforce mask wearing.

At our venues that have resumed concert type performances, the ushers, paid and volunteer are enforcing the mask policy.  At two shows I have attended, from what I could see, there was 100% compliance.  A smaller venue, which I have yet to attend (this Sunday, will be attending a performance of Canadian Brass Band) state on their facebook page that those not wearing their mask, will be removed.  The President of the theater stated at every performance at least one individual was removed by security.  I guess they were closed for so long that they aren't playing.  Eventually I am sure the word will get around.  All it takes for these dopes, is to see someone kicked out.  Then they quickly adhere to the rules.

"

ArtMan
#96Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 8:30pm

This statement will probably have some eyerolls.  I don't mind wearing a mask to attend a performance.  I just don't want to see the performers wearing masks.  It would take me out of the moment.  So far everything I have seen, they were not.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#97Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/11/21 at 8:54pm

I fully agree with you, Artman. I dont see the big deal is sitting in s theater with a mask on.....a heck a lot easier that teaching in one!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

leefowler
#98Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/12/21 at 5:40am

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing a mask for 2 1/2 hours. When Broadway reopens I'll give it a shot, but I don't see myself doing it more than a couple of times. Who knows, maybe I'll adapt.

I presume no drinks will be served during this time!

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#99Broadway By Fall?
Posted: 3/12/21 at 6:05am

I guess I underestimate the number of people that actually must wear masks for hours on end, every day. Like: Grocery workers, all food service workers, teachers, students and health care officials - and many others.

Do I love it? Of course not, but its not really THAT difficult. Part of the reason it seems uncomfortable for the length of a bway show is, perhaps, you have ONLY worn them in short spurts.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.