JLP Controversy

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#50JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 4:00pm

AC126748 said: "The issue with Tootsie (and already with Some Like It Hot) is that they are trying to suggest that anything involving cross-dressing is inherently transphobic, which is ridiculous of course. I think the issue with JLP is a bit more nuanced, and there probably is some merit to having the discussion about how gender identity is portrayed in the show, but the Twitter mob has done themselves no favors by essentially stonewalling any viewpoint that doesn't affirm their foregone conclusions."

Worth noting that the articles that really amplified these social media discussions on Tootsie and JLP were written by the same person.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#51JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 4:09pm

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "AC126748 said: "The issue with Tootsie (and already with Some Like It Hot) is that they are trying to suggest that anything involving cross-dressing is inherently transphobic, which is ridiculous of course. I think the issue with JLP is a bit more nuanced, and there probably is some merit to having the discussion about how gender identity is portrayed in the show, but the Twitter mob has done themselves no favors by essentially stonewalling any viewpoint that doesn't affirm their foregone conclusions."

Worth noting that the articles that really amplified these social media discussions on Tootsie and JLP were written by the same person.
"

Yes, that was already pointed out earlier in the thread. That person is not alone in boosting these viewpoints though.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 4/14/21 at 04:09 PM

gigi1234
#52JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 5:02pm

i guess we will see what happens, but i would not be surprised if lauren were to step down from the role. the article is getting a lot of traction. actors from the JLP cast (celia, antonio, kathryn) are liking and retweeting tweets that say the production was in the wrong. a lot of bigger name theater actors are also talking about it (eva noblezada, renee rapp, rachel zegler etc) will be interesting to see how this all plays out, but i dont foresee the show being able to go back to business as usual. i feel like lauren will at least attempt to address the situation, if she doesn't step down.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 5:06pm

“...but i would not be surprised if lauren were to step down from the role.”

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

gigi1234
#54JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 5:15pm

i'm not saying the show would fire her, i highly doubt they would. i'm saying the kind of person lauren portrays herself to be on social media is the kind of person that would step down. but obviously it's more than likely she won't. i'm also not saying i want her to step down or even think she should, but thought the notion of the possibility is interesting

Jordan Catalano
#55JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 5:32pm

She’s about to win a Tony for it. She’s not stepping down. The idea is laughable and ridiculous. She’s the reason a lot of people are seeing the show and is guaranteed a job in a returning show so please tell me why she would give up a guaranteed paycheck. Because a handful of kids on Twitter with nothing better to do want her to? If I rolled my eyes anymore than I am right now, they’d get stuck.

gigi1234
#56JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 5:50pm

i understand where you're coming from, i just don't think it's only a handful of kids. it seems to be a lot bigger than that, especially with prominent cast members adding to the conversation. but you could very well be right. i'm not claiming to know anything lol just wanted to have a discussion

amandap213
#57JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 6:23pm

Jordan Catalano said: "She’s about to win a Tony for it. She’s not stepping down. The idea is laughable and ridiculous. She’s the reason a lot of people are seeing the show and is guaranteed a job in a returning show so please tell me why she would give up a guaranteed paycheck. Because a handful of kids on Twitter with nothing better to do want her to? If I rolled my eyes anymore than I am right now, they’d get stuck."

"a handful of kids" more like the entire trans and nonbinary community. good job at invaliding an entire community and sticking up for transphobic actions just so a show could go on! the reason she would leave is because it's the right thing to do. she cannot go on instagram and post about wanting a more equitable broadway, and with one interview fully defend her actions and the actions of a show that has invalidated a community that she claims to support.

why are people on this thread so opposed to change like i really don't get it. lauren has been so open about her queerness and her journey, she has multiple opportunities and outlets to discuss "exploring" gender identities. she really has no excuse for her actions. 2/3 non-binary members of the cast have come out and confirmed their mistreatment during this show. why are the words of a cis woman being amplified louder than those of the trans and non-binary community?  why include a cis woman and not your non-cis members in a "social responsibility" video? because they know they're doing something wrong.

oughtaknow
#58JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 6:40pm

I'm a cis lesbian who has seen the show a number of times entirely because of Patten so generally feeling conflicted about the whole thing. 

I saw Ezra's performance and they just . . . weren't as good. Like not even close on "You Oughta Know." I'm not saying there isn't non-binary talent out there that could handle the role, but Lauren stepping down and Ezra taking over the role would be a huge loss for the show. 

LarryD2
#59JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 6:42pm

If you spend all your time on Twitter you start to think it's the whole world, but seven loud people is not the entire trans and nonbinary community.

InTheBathroom1
#60JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 7:04pm

LarryD2 said: "If you spend all your time on Twitter you start to think it's the whole world, but seven loud people is not the entire trans and nonbinary community."

Very true. I’m starting to think it’s time for a Twitter break. Agreed re: Ezra’s performance as Jo

Zion24
#61JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:16pm

LarryD2 said: "If you spend all your time on Twitter you start to think it's the whole world, but seven loud people is not the entire trans and nonbinary community."

this on every single issue. Social media gives everyone a platform which is GREAT but it means the loudest/most passionate/extreme people find each other (also GREAT) and then sound like a mass much larger than they actually are (not as great). That anyone here thinks that the couple of hundred? maybe thousand? people worked up over Tootsie or Lauren Patten or whatever issue constitutes a mass that will move anything fwd- its an understandable delusion, because Twitter will do that to ya.

Id also add, forgive me I dont remember who said it above, but this is a touch more of a legit issue than Tootsie was, in that at least this implicates an underlying concern in society...

sassylash3s
#62JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:34pm

It seems to me that there's basically no inherent difference between a somewhat gender-nonconforming cis person like Lauren Patten and a nonbinary person, other than that the latter person identifies as nonbinary.  And if Patten's uttering three little words could change her from the wrong type of person for the role to the right kind, it doesn't seem like a super meaningful distinction to me.  I'd be a lot more sympathetic to the controversy if, say, Jo was a trans woman and they had cast a cis woman (or worse, a cis man) in the role.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#63JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:07pm

...I think when everyone is back at work, this will be forgotten very swiftly. As it stands, this controversy is convoluted (role that is sort of non-binary is rewritten to being sort of not non-binary? good luck getting that on a picket sign) and substantially overshadowed by larger issues on Broadway, in the trans community, and the world at large.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/14/21 at 09:07 PM

oughtaknow
#64JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:16pm

I would think this is going nowhere were it not for Kathryn Gallagher, Celia Rose Gooding, Antonio Cipriano (along with members of the ensemble) all re-tweeting Ezra's tweet. The rest of the leads don't seem to be that active on twitter (and I couldn't find one at all for Elizabeth). I wonder if Lauren is getting pressure from them. I'm sure it's going to generally make things awkward with the cast.

Updated On: 4/14/21 at 09:16 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#65JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:23pm

I think a cast pressuring a fellow cast member who didn't really do anything wrong into dropping out of a show would be a tremendously bad look for the production and bad precedent.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#66JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:27pm

Well Elizabeth Stanley is pregnant so it’s unlikely she’ll be returning with the show, at least when it reopens. So I can’t see what she would gain in weighing in on this. And I’m sure Patten is wisely being advised to not comment.

gigi1234
#67JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:52pm

oughtaknow said: "I would think this is going nowhere were it not for Kathryn Gallagher, Celia Rose Gooding, Antonio Cipriano (along with members of the ensemble)all re-tweeting Ezra's tweet. The rest of the leads don't seem to be that active on twitter (and I couldn't find one at all for Elizabeth).I wonder if Lauren is getting pressure from them. I'm sure it's going to generally make things awkward with the cast."

i've been really curious about the cast dynamic after this, especially if lauren stays in the role. the cast always seemed super close (obviously it could be for show but idk it seemed real) so i wonder what kind of conversations (if they are happening) that celia and kathryn are having with lauren who is one of their close friends...... 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#68JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:53pm

They should pull an “American Idiot” and stunt Alanis as MJ at least for the initial reopening process. That would be something worth seeing.

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano
#69JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:56pm

If cast members are pressuring the (arguably) star into quitting then I Damn well hope they recast every single one of them.

And I always assumed Alanis would appear at *some* point. I’d LOVE for that to be sooner rather than later.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#70JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 10:02pm

I think many parts will be recast for a variety of reasons. 

gigi1234
#71JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 10:05pm

Sutton Ross said: "I think many parts will be recast for a variety of reasons."

what parts are you thinking and why?

Zion24
#72JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 10:13pm

Jordan Catalano said: "If cast members are pressuring the (arguably) star into quitting then I Damn well hope they recast every single one of them.

And I always assumed Alanis would appear at *some* point. I’d LOVE for that to be sooner rather than later.
"

Alanis taking over for Elizabeth Stanley is something I wish i had thought of; likely to happen and would be brilliant. Might make me see the show again, even?

I cant fathom they are pressuring Patten into...walking away from her well-received job? Why? What a nightmare that would be for her if true. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#73JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 10:14pm

Oh, I didn't have any specific characters in mind but just due to Covid and so much time passing, some of the actors might have left the industry permanently or taken another acting job in film/tv and are no longer available. I don't expect anyone to wait around, people need to survive and also want to get back to work. 

perfectliar
#74JLP Controversy
Posted: 4/14/21 at 10:15pm

Lavieboheme3090 said: "So people are suggesting that an actor should be fired based solely on their sexual orientation in real life, and not an any other merit.

Am I missing something?
"

Gender identity has nothing to do with sexual orientation. This is about the former rather than the latter.