pixeltracker

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?- Page 18

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#425Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 12/23/23 at 12:22pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Darren Criss confirmed on Sirius XM's Broadway channel that he and Evan Rachel Wood will be taking over at the end of January, for what sounds like a short 2-month run."

Amazing casting. The show probably sells out that entire two months.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Hairspray0901
#427Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 12/24/23 at 12:43pm

Any current discounts for this?

yyys
#428Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 12/24/23 at 12:58pm

there's one (LSOH10) but only good unti 1/28... prior to Darren/Rachel's first performance.

Hairspray0901 said: "Any current discounts for this?"

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#429Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 12/24/23 at 2:34pm

January 30 start date confirmed, and, according to Criss's Insta Story, through March 31:

https://twitter.com/littleshopnyc/status/1738961701062778974

Updated On: 12/24/23 at 02:34 PM

TaffyDavenport
#430Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 1/30/24 at 10:39pm

Curious to hear reactions to Evan and Darren (and, hopefully, some audio).

Actinggbugg474
#431Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 1/31/24 at 12:01am

Check TikTok.  I may or may not have seen a Suddenly Seymour video on there just now ….

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#432Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 1/31/24 at 12:36am

Evan sound great! Darren.. meh.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#433Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 1/31/24 at 12:41am

They both sound great for their first performance. Give em time

Michelle chouraqui
#434Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 1/31/24 at 1:45pm

Completely agree. Seymour should be understated, imo. I thought Criss was fantastic. Funny, adorable. Evan killed it! she blew me away. Her voice, and the emotion she brought to the role were show stoppers. The energy from the crowd was enough to keep me going for days. I'm currently looking for tix to see them again during their run. I can't wait to see how they develop. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#436Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/6/24 at 9:07pm

Honestly, this casting seems very boring to me. Criss hasn’t had a role in a while and he’s hasn’t even done Elsie Fest, a thing that wins him brownie points with theater nerds. Evan Rachel Wood’s name has been more in the press because of drama with Marilyn Manson that anything else as of late. Eh.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#437Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/24 at 9:47am

DramaTeach said: "Honestly, this casting seems very boring to me. Criss hasn’t had a role in a while and he’s hasn’t even done Elsie Fest, a thing that wins him brownie points with theater nerds. Evan Rachel Wood’s name has been more in the press because of drama with Marilyn Manson that anything else as of late. Eh."

…yes, unfortunate that neither of them have any established careers other than whether they have been recently in the headlines. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#438Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:40am

I've heard Evan is incredible

hearthemsing22
#439Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/24 at 2:31pm

Update from ERW if no one has said this yet- It seems she is sick, so she might be out of the show for a bit. 

berniesb!tch
#440Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/24 at 2:55pm

Saw the show last Friday for my birthday. Evan and Rachel are really terrific. I saw the show in March 2022 witch Conrad and Tammy, and while I prefer the two of them (they felt much more vulnerable and earnest in the roles), Darren and Evan were really fantastic. Such a great production. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#441Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/24 at 8:19pm

Kad said: "DramaTeach said: "Honestly, this casting seems very boring to me. Criss hasn’t had a role in a while and he’s hasn’t even done Elsie Fest, a thing that wins him brownie points with theater nerds. Evan Rachel Wood’s name has been more in the press because of drama with Marilyn Manson that anything else as of late. Eh."

…yes, unfortunate that neither of them have any established careers other than whether they have been recently in the headlines.
"

You definitely misinterpreted what I was saying, but okay. Enjoy their performances.

PipingHotPiccolo
#442Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/24 at 8:40pm

What was misinterpreted? This off bway show is in its 4th? 5th? year, and has consistently cast interesting, diverse people--usually "names." Here, Criss and Wood are both well known by any standard, both can sing by any standard, so your comment seems rather bizarre when you say they "bore" you because... Criss hasnt done Elsiefest recently? I dont even know what that is, but I saw him in a hit revival last year on Bway so yeah, I'm lost.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#443Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:12pm

DramaTeach said: "Honestly, this casting seems very boring to me. Criss hasn’t had a role in a while and he’s hasn’t even done Elsie Fest, a thing that wins him brownie points with theater nerds. Evan Rachel Wood’s name has been more in the press because of drama with Marilyn Manson that anything else as of late. Eh."

Ah yes, one must run a mediocre theater-focused music festival every year to have clout in the Broadway communtiy year after year, and one mustn't have "drama" in the press because they keep speaking out against domestic abusers going unpunished despite the number of victims coming forward - these are faux pas to lead an Off-Broadway revival's 4th? cast change.

And to think - Criss needs Elsie Fest to have theater nerd fans? His fans are copious and obsessive thanks to a show you may have heard of called "Glee."

For what you might deem relevant experience: Wood voices Anna and Elsa's parents in Frozen 2 (and sings with Menzel on "Show Yourself" in addition to having a solo song) and typically appears in one or two films every year.

Updated On: 2/7/24 at 10:12 PM

Actinggbugg474
#444Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 4:14pm

Camryn Hampton is in again tonight as Audrey. Hope ERW is okay.  I’ve got tickets for Saturday night - was really looking forward to seeing her, but it’s not looking great. 😔

Updated On: 2/8/24 at 04:14 PM

Actinggbugg474
#445Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/11/24 at 10:28am

Saw the show last night.  My thoughts:

Evan Rachel Wood is the best Audrey I’ve ever seen.  She completely NAILS the character and her voice is absolutely perfect -  even better than I expected.  She isn’t acting; she embodies the character. She doesn’t play it for laughs, but she is funny!  A true actor.  Run to see her before she leaves.  Darren Criss was also great, but ERW was the standout.  Everyone else was amazing - Bryce Pinkham being another standout. It was great to see a Dentist making huge comedic choices, but also having a beautiful voice to go along with it.  

The disappointing…

Aaron Harrington was out as the voice of Audrey 2 and his understudy was on.  I’m not completely opposed to a female voicing the plant, but I just don’t think this voice worked. Zakiya Baptiste was on and it was just a letdown.  I’m sure she is great when she covers the urchins, but, in such a PERFECT production.. this is a strange choice!  The plant should be menacing and she just wasn’t.  She had a very youthful voice and I just don’t think it works.  The jumping octaves just goes to show that the role was written with a male voice in mind.  She also came in early during a verse of “Feed Me” which almost derailed the song, but they got back on track.  I know plenty of other productions have used a female to voice the plant, but I just think this time it just misses the mark. I guess I missed the comedic element of a plant named “Audrey” having a big booming male voice and it was impossible to believe that Seymour or Audrey would be at all threatened or scared by that voice. 

I'm just surprised that such a high profile production would choose to go that route with the plant understudies (both Audrey 2 understudies are female). They really need to bring in someone to JUST cover that role when Aaron is out. Definitely a letdown.  😔

But, all in all, it’s pretty close to the quintessential production of Little Shop… except for that (pretty big) understudy misstep. I’m sure if I’d have seen the full main cast I would walk away with zero complaints.  Little Shop is my favorite show of all time - I know every single word and I still found myself laughing out loud at the MANY new choices and fresh takes. I saw the Broadway production in 2003 and I enjoyed it - but this production feels so much more authentic to the original intent. Off-Broadway is where it belongs. The Broadway production felt too slick and polished.. this feels right. 

I hope this is the beginning of more theater from ERW, she is incredible.  She needs to headline a new show.  

EDIT TO ADD:

Only Mushnick came out the stage door.  Darren Criss popped his head out to say thanks for coming and that he wasn’t coming out. Then the security guard said that no one else was coming out. 

Updated On: 2/11/24 at 10:28 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#446Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/13/24 at 11:19pm

Putting Ellen Greene aside, Evan Rachel Wood tonight was the absolute best Audrey I’ve ever seen in my life. If there was ever a cast to see in this production, this is the one.

I get tired of people saying so-and-so is a revelation but that’s what she is. Watching her, I just imagine all the incredible roles she’s capable of knocking out of the park and I’m praying to the theater gods that she’ll go into “Cabaret” at some point. 

yyys
#447Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/14/24 at 9:49am

Until when are Darren and Evan playing? It just says limited time..

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#448Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/14/24 at 11:20am

I thought I heard 8 weeks but looking online, I can’t find anything confirming that. 

TaffyDavenport
#449Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/14/24 at 11:35am

When it was first announced, Darren posted an Insta story that said through 3/31.

Latest Posts