pixeltracker

Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?- Page 2

Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/11/21 at 6:49pm

RippedMan said: "I'd think shows like "Company" might do the best as they are kind of perfect for the local NYC theater-goer. Small-ish house, stacked cast of well-known stage actors, etc. I'd think it would appeal to the NYCer.

But the bigger shows might struggle after the first month. I mean, are big families coming into town to see The Lion King and Aladdin? Who knows.
"

I think you are right on target.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#26Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/11/21 at 10:57pm

HogansHero said: "RippedMan said: "I'd think shows like "Company" might do the best as they are kind of perfect for the local NYC theater-goer. Small-ish house, stacked cast of well-known stage actors, etc. I'd think it would appeal to the NYCer.

But the bigger shows might struggle after the first month. I mean, are big families coming into town to see The Lion King and Aladdin? Who knows.
"

I think you are right on target.
"

I actually worry about Company. They open days before Christmas and then head into winter (the slowest season and flu season). Winter is when many shows struggle. While there may be an initial surge of sales, there are no names in the show. LuPone doesn’t sell tickets. She didn’t for War Paint and she didn’t for Gyspy. Lenk while a Tony winner is pretty unknown. I love both women but they won’t set the box office on fire. Theater people know the entire cast is stocked with power players but the public won’t appreciate that. 

Also, this fall will be when many schools all finally go back to full time in person. I think travel will be down.

I think staggered openings with many opening next spring would work best but I know everyone is eager to start working and we are all desperate to see shows. I wish them all luck  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 7:27am

I would imagine a goal for many show opening up would be breaking even for a while.  Having their product "out there" and awakening the masses is good for long term business.   I don't feel THIS year will have a very sluggish autumn - as has been said, people are chomping at the bit to get back to normal.   

January almost always sees lots of closures, and I don't disagree this year may be higher than usual.   But if theaters and producers are willing to put actual PROFIT on the back burner until spring, perhaps it won't be a slaughter.  Maybe by Feb/March, we'll be able to welcome some new shows!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JasonC3
#28Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 7:37am

Time will tell.
Other than that, who really knows?

We're in uncharted territory here with many moving parts and conditions that will continue to change in the months ahead.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#29Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 8:06am

RippedMan said: "I'd think shows like "Company" might do the best as they are kind of perfect for the local NYC theater-goer. Small-ish house, stacked cast of well-known stage actors, etc. I'd think it would appeal to the NYCer.

"

My thoughts exactly, RippedMan. I think the shows that heavily rely on family ticket buyers and tourists are going to to have a rough go of it after the first few weeks/months. I lived in NYC for 5 years before the pandemic (I have since moved due to the pandemic and started a new career and life out of state), and I had no desire to see Wicked, The Lion King, and Aladdin for the up tenth time when I was living in the city. I spent my time and money on the newer shows that I had not seen. I'm not sure how many other NYCers share that mindset and if COVID has maybe shifted that mindset, but that's my view.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#30Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 9:25am

Yeah, the only logic I can derive is they're counting on New Yorkers for the initial push to begin with, hopefully that will get them through - pairing the lean winter months with pent-up demand from locals. Then, likely hoping for Tony Award coverage by Spring, of course.

Dollypop
#31Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 9:37am

Broadway can certainly handle all these openings. Back in the 60's several new shows opened every week and there were times we had two opening per night

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#32Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 9:42am

This ain’t the 60’s

Theatrefanboy1
#33Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 10:44am

Unless they implement some creative casting /ticketing I can see this having a similar hit as 2008.
It wouldn’t surprise me is the come from away, dear Evan Hansen and Diana films are a big push for public awareness and then hoping to close and tour by the end of 2022.

I also think that beauty and the beast will likely be a transfer depending how it’s received in England. And they’ll replace Aladdin with it.

It wouldn’t surprise me though if a bunch of new shows (company, Diana, west side, girl from the north) don’t make the year.

I think by august 2022 well be looking at a very different billing of shows surviving. And I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose one of two long runners (Chicago, maybe even wicked or lion king)

Theatrefanboy1
#34Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 10:44am

Unless they implement some creative casting /ticketing I can see this having a similar hit as 2008.
It wouldn’t surprise me is the come from away, dear Evan Hansen and Diana films are a big push for public awareness and then hoping to close and tour by the end of 2022.

I also think that beauty and the beast will likely be a transfer depending how it’s received in England. And they’ll replace Aladdin with it.

It wouldn’t surprise me though if a bunch of new shows (company, Diana, west side, girl from the north) don’t make the year.

I think by august 2022 well be looking at a very different billing of shows surviving. And I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose one of two long runners (Chicago, maybe even wicked or lion king)

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#35Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 11:28am

For long-running shows like Phantom, Chicago, Wicked, Lion King, etc. do they have deep pockets given all the $$$ they’ve made all those years before pandemic?

SouthernCakes
#36Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 11:48am

Yes. You also have to realize those shoes have multiple productions around the world including touring so they have a lot of revenue. Phantom, I believe, was one of the first shows to come back in South Korea.

I think Company is different than say War Paint. It’s a Broadway diva in an iconic role in a show stacked with theater actors and an incredible new modern production. I think it will be a massive hit with locals and tourists.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#37Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 11:58am

My two cents: the decision to switch from the original plan of "not till January 2022" that was being talked about as recently as three months ago is a huge mistake, and I think they will ultimately have to return to that plan in the wake of what may come from the city re-opening in July. I hope I'm wrong.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 5/12/21 at 11:58 AM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#38Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 12:53pm

Bettyboy72 said: "HogansHero said: "RippedMan said: "I'd think shows like "Company" might do the best as they are kind of perfect for the local NYC theater-goer. Small-ish house, stacked cast of well-known stage actors, etc. I'd think it would appeal to the NYCer.

"

I think you are right on target."

I actually worry about Company. They open days before Christmas and then head into winter (the slowest season and flu season). Winter is when many shows struggle. While there may be an initial surge of sales, there are no names in the show. LuPone doesn’t sell tickets. She didn’t for War Paint and she didn’t for Gyspy. Lenk while a Tony winner is pretty unknown. I love both women but they won’t set the box office on fire. Theater people know the entire cast is stocked with power players but the public won’t appreciate that.

Also, this fall will be when many schools all finally go back to full time in person. I think travel will be down.

I think staggered openings with many opening next spring would work best but I know everyone is eager to start working and we are all desperate to see shows. I wish them all luck

"

Not a fan of Patty, over all, but "LuPone doesn't sell tickets." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#39Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 1:00pm

I don't understand the cost comments, i.e. "If I were a New Yorker, I wouldn't pay to see X for the umpteenth time." 

First of all, Broadway is very expensive under any circumstances, and so for most people, even going to see a show once is something they'd never spend their money on.

I get people here are different, and I get there are ways around the cost (like standing room) and people here find those ways because they love theater deeply.

But mostly, Broadway depends on a very affluent audience, and if these people like going to see a show, and have had no opportunity in over a year, they may well indeed still fork out to see one of the big touristy shows for the umpteenth time, whether they are from out of town or live in the city (or nearby environs).

Granted, I still think it's all a crapshoot, and we will only know the outcome when we see the outcome. But people with barely any spending money who have to choose wisely when and what to see wisely are not the backbone of Broadway's financial success and have not been since maybe the late '60's. So I find that consideration irrelevant to whatever eventually happens.

unclevictor
#40Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 1:16pm

joevitus said: "I don't understand the cost comments, i.e. "If I were a New Yorker, I wouldn't pay to see X for the umpteenth time."

First of all, Broadway is very expensive under any circumstances, and so for most people, even going to see a show once is something they'd never spend their money on.

I get people here are different, and I get there are ways around the cost (like standing room) and people here find those ways because they love theater deeply.

But mostly, Broadway depends on a very affluent audience, and if these people like going to see a show, and have had no opportunity in over a year, they may well indeed still fork out to see one of the big touristy shows for the umpteenth time, whether they are from out of town or live in the city (or nearby environs).

Granted, I still think it's all a crapshoot, and we will only know the outcome when wesee the outcome. But people with barely any spending money whohave to choose wisely when and what to see wisely arenot the backbone of Broadway's financial success and have not been since maybe the late '60's. So I find that consideration irrelevant to whatever eventually happens.
"

If u find this conversation irrelevant, then stop posting on it. Duuuuuh. 
Anyway, to most of America, patti Lupone isn’t a house hold name. Fact. She doesn’t sell tickets. Fact. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#41Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 1:24pm

unclevictor said: "joevitus said: "I don't understand the cost comments, i.e. "If I were a New Yorker, I wouldn't pay to see X for the umpteenth time."

Granted, I still think it's all a crapshoot, and we will only know the outcome when wesee the outcome. But people with barely any spending money whohave to choose wisely when and what to see wisely arenot the backbone of Broadway's financial success and have not been since maybe the late '60's. So I find that consideration irrelevant to whatever eventually happens.
"

Anyway, to most of America, patti Lupone isn’t a household name. Fact. She doesn’t sell tickets. Fact.
"

We've all learned you can't read and are probably a fake profile, so stop wasting your time responding to me.

"She doesn't sell tickets. Fact." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

unclevictor
#42Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 1:29pm

joevitus said: "unclevictor said: "joevitus said: "I don't understand the cost comments, i.e. "If I were a New Yorker, I wouldn't pay to see X for the umpteenth time."

"

Anyway, to most of America, patti Lupone isn’t a household name. Fact. She doesn’t sell tickets. Fact.
"

We've all learned you can't read and are probably a fake profile, so stop wasting your time responding to me.

"She doesn't sell tickets. Fact." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA“

I read your whiney dog whistling post! Guess I can read! Hahahahahaa!   Fake profile? Yes, it’s not unclevictor here, it’s Patti Lupone. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#43Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 3:21pm

Everyone knows you aren't who you pretend to be (and it ain't Patty LaPone), and you've been called out about it many times.

LaPone doesn't sell tickets? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#44Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 8:10pm

I adore Patti but other than the initial surge, she doesn’t sell tickets for a long run. She played an iconic role in Gypsy and that closed early. It couldn’t even sustain its limited run. That’s all l’m saying. Im not gloating. I just have concerns for Company.

I think Evan Hansen may suffer from this hiatus. The bloom is off that rose. The show had a zeitgeist moment, but time and distance seem to have made the show feel less impressive. Tour notices praise the cast but have huge issues with the show, the Canadian sit down shuttered as quickly as it opened. I don’t think it will be as hot as it was before.

Whereas I feel Hadestown and its celebration of love and rebirth will be more relevant than before and will be a continued runaway hit. It’s just a gorgeous show with so many relevant themes.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#45Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 8:28pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I adore Patti but other than the initial surge, she doesn’t sell tickets for a long run. She played an iconic role in Gypsy and that closed early. It couldn’t even sustain its limited run. That’s all l’m saying. Im not gloating. I just have concerns for Company.

I think Evan Hansen may suffer from this hiatus. The bloom is off that rose. The show had a zeitgeist moment, but time and distance seem to have made the show feel less impressive. Tour notices praise the cast but have huge issues with the show, the Canadian sit down shuttered as quickly as it opened. I don’t think it will be as hot as it was before.

Whereas I feel Hadestown and its celebration of love and rebirth will be more relevant than before and will be a continued runaway hit. It’s just a gorgeous show with so many relevant themes.

"

I'm not pretending she's Midler, but she wouldn't constantly be given juicy roles and her appearence wouldn't be so highlighted in the advertizing if she wasn't a draw. Her name isn't up over the title in big letters just because she has a good agent. 

Totally agree she is not what Merman or Martin were in their day (or Verdon in her somewhat overlapping era). But she's had big hits, and apart from the Lloyd Webber shows, that directly relates to what she brought (not claiming she didn't bring it for Evita or even, when she was allowed, Sunset Blvd, just that a Lloyd Webber show is always a bigger draw than whatever name is attached--and survives whatever name leaves). It's odd I'm arguing this. I'm not a Patty fan, apart from Evita. But she clearly has some magic with some of the audience and it has gone on between them for something like 40 years now (maybe 30, if you think of the 80's post-Evita years as the time when she became a name in and of herself, not just the woman who was in the new big Rice-Lloyd Webber show).

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#46Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 8:35pm

joevitus said: "Bettyboy72 said: "I adore Patti but other than the initial surge, she doesn’t sell tickets for a long run. She played an iconic role in Gypsy and that closed early. It couldn’t even sustain its limited run. That’s all l’m saying. Im not gloating. I just have concerns for Company.

"

I'm not pretending she's Midler, but she wouldn't constantly be given juicy roles and her appearence wouldn't be so highlighted in the advertizing if she wasn't a draw. Her name isn't up over the title in big letters just because she has a good agent.

Totally agree she is not what Merman or Martin were in their day (or Verdon in her somewhat overlapping era). But she's had big hits, and apart from the Lloyd Webber shows, that directly relates to what she brought (not claiming she didn't bring it for Evita or even, when she was allowed, Sunset Blvd, just that a Lloyd Webber show is always a bigger draw than whatever name is attached--and survives whatever name leaves). It's odd I'm arguing this. I'm not a Patty fan, apart from Evita. But she clearly has some magic with some of the audience and it has gone on between them for something like 40 years now (maybe 30, if you think of the 80's post-Evita years as the time when she became a name in and of herself, not just the woman who was in the new big Rice-Lloyd Webber show).
"

Patti is magic and she is perfection on stage  I plunk down top dollar to see her every chance I get  .I agree with you. I just don’t think she’s box office gold. Theatre legends don’t sell tickets necessarily. Back in the day, stage actors were the stars. Not so much anymore. I just worry that a part of bringing Broadway back will be peppering shows with movie, TV and reality stars. That makes me sad. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#47Can Broadway really handle these many openings this Fall?
Posted: 5/12/21 at 9:32pm

It would make me sad, too, but I can see your point that it might happen.