pixeltracker

Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run

Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#1Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 3:52pm

Per Deadline.com

The Wanderer, a musical based on the life and music of rock & roll pioneer Dion, will stage its world premiere pre-Broadway run next Spring at the Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey. Michael Wartella (Wicked) will take on the title role, with Christy Altomare (Broadway’s Anastasia) as wife Susan and former New Kid on the Block Joey McIntyre playing pal Johnny.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/dion-the-wanderer-broadway-musical-christy-altomare-michael-wartella-joey-mcintyre-1234759512/

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 5/18/21 at 03:52 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 4:59pm

Forgive my ignorance, but is Dion a well-known person? My mind went to Celine Dion. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 5:29pm

RippedMan said: "Forgive my ignorance, but is Dion a well-known person? My mind went to Celine Dion."

Only to the baby boomer generation and possibly their Gen-X kids. I doubt any one past that really know who he is unless, of course they are hard-core music geeks. This show has a very limited demographic to play to. Dion's career isn't one that has spanned generations. 

Theatrefanboy1
#4Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 5:29pm

Mine too. Especially that the Celine Dion musical has been in development for the last couple years from the former head of Cirque.

gibsons2
#5Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 5:48pm

Celine Dion musical makes much more sense. Had to Google the musician behind The Wanderer, not familiar with any of his songs...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 5:51pm

Okay, glad I'm not the only one. But a Celine musical by Cirque sounds AMAZING. 

CarlosAlberto
#7Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 5:59pm

I'm not surprised by the confusion. Dion, while popular in "his day" was not an artist who transcended generations. His main claim to fame was the song, "The Wanderer". The only reason I know who he is, is because I'm a child of baby boomers and in the mid-70s there wad a huge '50s revival, so a lot of artists who had faded from the limelight were suddenly popping up in reunion concerts and TV variety specials. If it weren't for that or the song I would not know who he was either. The name "Dion" in now synonymous with Celine so naturally you hear it and your mind automatically goes to her. 

This is a risky subject for a show and not because of its subject matter. Dion is not an "easy sell" and like I pointed out before, his career does not span generations like say Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Tina Turner or Cher. 

I don't wish any show to fail. It's a very gutsy move to back and produce a project that isn't instantly marketable and whose demo is so narrow. But I do wish them luck with this.

Updated On: 5/18/21 at 05:59 PM

JGPR2
#8Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 6:02pm

"Only to the baby boomer generation and possibly their Gen-X kids. I doubt any one past that really know who he is unless, of course they are hard-core music geeks. This show has a very limited demographic to play to. Dion's career isn't one that has spanned generations."

Yep. He became famous in the late 50's and early 60's, also had big hit with song "Runaround Sue".  He had brief comeback in 1968 with the song "Abraham, Martin & John" about the assassinations of MLK, JFK and RFK.  I agree with you, the demographic for this show is incredibly limited and the book would have to be awesome to have this show be a success.

Updated On: 5/18/21 at 06:02 PM

CarlosAlberto
#9Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 6:06pm

JGPR2 said: ""Only to the baby boomer generation and possibly their Gen-X kids. I doubt any one past that really know who he is unless, of course they are hard-core music geeks. This show has a very limited demographic to play to. Dion's career isn't one that has spanned generations."

Yep. He became famous in the late 50's and early 60's, also had big hit with song "Runaround Sue". He had brief comeback in 1968with the song "Abraham, Martin & John" about the assassinations of MLK, JFK and RFK. I agree with you, the demographic for this show is incredibly limited and the book would have to be awesome to have this show be a success.
"

I forgot about "Runaround Sue" and "Abraham, Martin & John". Yes, he is most definitely best known for those two songs and "The Wanderer". Thanks for the reminder. I must add these to my music library. #MusicGeek

Updated On: 5/18/21 at 06:06 PM

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#10Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 6:10pm

Now this brings back many happy memories!  Dion was/is the best, and I hope "The Wanderer" is a great success.

Non sibi sed patriae

ArtMan
#11Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 6:24pm

Dion had alot more hits.  Two more were Dreamlover and Teenager in Love.  If you watched the early seasons of Happy Days and the movie American Graffiti, you'll recognize quite a few.  I'm not interested in seeing this, so I only stopped at two, other than the songs mentioned.  I'm sure his hits solo and with the Belmonts as well as the many covers he did, could make up enough to make the audience happy.  Part of the book for Act 2, would probably detail the plane killing Ritchie Valens, he was suppose to be on.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#12Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 6:52pm

ArtMan said: "Dion had alot more hits. Two more were Dreamlover and Teenager in Love. If you watched the early seasons of Happy Days and the movie American Graffiti, you'll recognize quite a few. I'm not interested in seeing this, so I only stopped at two, other than the songs mentioned. I'm sure his hits solo and with the Belmonts as well as the many covers he did, could make up enough to make the audience happy. Part of the book for Act 2, would probably detail theplane killing Ritchie Valens, he was suppose to be on."

Dion recorded Dream Lover, sure, but he didn’t have a hit with it. That song was written, originally recorded, and made famous by, Bobby Darin.

ArtMan
#13Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 7:40pm

ClapYo'Hands said: "ArtMan said: "Dion had alot more hits. Two more were Dreamlover and Teenager in Love. If you watched the early seasons of Happy Days and the movie American Graffiti, you'll recognize quite a few. I'm not interested in seeing this, so I only stopped at two, other than the songs mentioned. I'm sure his hits solo and with the Belmonts as well as the many covers he did, could make up enough to make the audience happy. Part of the book for Act 2, would probably detail theplane killing Ritchie Valens, he was suppose to be on."

Dion recordedDream Lover, sure, but he didn’t have a hit with it. That song was written, originally recorded, and made famous by, Bobby Darin.

"

Okay.  But since he recorded it, the producers would not be wrong to include it.  And it would be a song the audience would recognize.  As well as the many covers he recorded or performed.

JSquared2
#14Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 7:44pm

ArtMan said: "ClapYo'Hands said: "ArtMan said: "Dion had alot more hits. Two more were Dreamlover and Teenager in Love. If you watched the early seasons of Happy Days and the movie American Graffiti, you'll recognize quite a few. I'm not interested in seeing this, so I only stopped at two, other than the songs mentioned. I'm sure his hits solo and with the Belmonts as well as the many covers he did, could make up enough to make the audience happy. Part of the book for Act 2, would probably detail theplane killing Ritchie Valens, he was suppose to be on."

Dion recordedDream Lover, sure, but he didn’t have a hit with it. That song was written, originally recorded, and made famous by, Bobby Darin.

"

Okay. But since he recorded it, the producers would not be wrong to include it. And it would be a song the audience would recognize. As well as the many covers he recorded or performed.
"

You’re forgetting that the producers would have to negotiate the rights for those songs—which might very well be cost prohibitive. 

rkade21
#15Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 7:56pm

Saw this news a while ago from following Altomare and am interested because of her, but have no interest/familiarity with the subject

ArtMan
#16Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 7:57pm

You're correct.  But one would hope they covered their bases, before developing the musical.  As I said, I have no interest in this.  Just read that Joey McIntyre  is in this.  He's doing concerts with Debbie Gibson in Las Vegas when I'm there.  Not interested in that either.

Updated On: 5/18/21 at 07:57 PM

JGPR2
#17Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 9:13pm

"This is a risky subject for a show and not because of its subject matter. Dion is not an "easy sell" and like I pointed out before, his career does not span generations like say Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Tina Turner or Cher."

Yes it is risky but it can be done because his story has the typical jukebox musical plot lines. Early success with group that breaks up and he goes solo and has his biggest hits. He avoids the tragedy of being on plane that crashed with Buddy Holly and others. What would jukebox musical be (lol) without drug problem and sure his heroin addiction will be shown. He reunites with "The Belmonts" but it is not successful and his career is tanking. He finds "God" and then makes comeback with song "Abraham, Martin & John". He makes Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in the late 80's. 

This show not only needs excellent critical reviews it will need great word of mouth and ad campaign to sell it because like you said in another post, the target audience is very limited.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#18Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/18/21 at 9:24pm

Yeah, I was confused as well. I don't know how this will sell or who it appeals to. 

JGPR2
#19Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/19/21 at 11:52am

"Yeah, I was confused as well. I don't know how this will sell or who it appeals to. "

The same age group that liked "Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons". The two problems it will have is that most people when they see "Dion" will think of Celine Dion and the other is Dion did not come close to having as many hit songs as "Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons". If it does make it to Broadway, I would be shocked if it played for more than a month.

Updated On: 5/19/21 at 11:52 AM

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#20Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/19/21 at 11:56am

ArtMan said: "You're correct. But one would hope they covered their bases, before developing the musical. As I said, I have no interest in this. Just read that Joey McIntyre is in this. He's doing concerts with Debbie Gibson in Las Vegas when I'mthere. Not interested in that either."

I'm fairly certain that Joey participated in the reading a few years ago. Its interesting that he has never been able to break out of the boy band niche, even though he hates it. I get the feeling that he gets bored easily and that is why his career seems to be all over the place and that's why hes languished in the same creative place the last 30 years.

Jaxson2
#21Dion Musical ‘The Wanderer’ Announces Spring 2022 Pre-Broadway Run
Posted: 5/19/21 at 9:24pm

Neil Diamond supposed to do Boston preBroadway.  Certainly he's more well known than Dion. Neil's music spanned decades whereas Dion was a 60s singer.

Videos