pixeltracker

Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread- Page 4

Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#75Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/18/22 at 10:10am

KathyNYC2 said: "OK I know this is a minuscule questions. I know there is a new song for the finale but please someone tell; me if Matllda and Ms Honey cartwheel off into the sunset as they did on stage. I am not sure if would work the same way on film but it was one of my favorite moments of the musical on stage. Thanks in advance."

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

No, but they do share the last moment together: lying atop (I think) the mobile library, reading and enjoying being together. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#76Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 8:32pm

Who else is excited to watch on Sunday?

Theatre Fan3
#77Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 11:25pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Who else is excited to watch on Sunday?"

Saw it twice in the theater but looking forward to watching it again.  It's one of the best stage to screen adaptations in my opinion.  Hopefully we'll be able to say the same about WICKED.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#78Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 8:56am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Who else is excited to watch on Sunday?"

I can't wait for this. Matilda is one of my all time favorite shows, and I saw it many times at the Shubert. I can't wait to see the film.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#79Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 9:19am

I will most definitely be watching this tomorrow. I still can't believe this lost best musical and score to Kinky Boots. 

DaveyG
#80Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 9:30am

BOM said: "I will most definitely be watching this tomorrow. I still can't believe this lost best musical and score to Kinky Boots."

The 2013 Tonys is the most egregious reminder that awards are mostly political. The Matilda producers alienated the Bway community and the Tony voters reacted. 

Updated On: 12/24/22 at 09:30 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#81Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 9:45am

BOM said: "I will most definitely be watching this tomorrow. I still can't believe this lost best musical and score to Kinky Boots."

Absolutely INFURIATING! The School Song alone should have made Matilda a lock for the Tony. And Fun Home being the first female winner in that category would have been so much more poetic than Lauper’s totally genetic and forgettable score. Matilda is one of the best scores of this century. It’s just fabulous and every aspect of the show far outshines Kinky Boots.

smallvillefan16
#82Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/22 at 4:40pm

While I appreciate the production, Kinky Boots shined above in every aspect.  Matilda is cute though.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#83Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 3:22am

It should be out now on Netflix... keep those thoughts coming, everybody!

Oh look, a bibu!

bwayphreak234
#84Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 9:25am

The 2013 Tony Awards were an abomination. Matilda danced circles around every aspect of the pedestrian Kinky Boots. Book, score, design... everything about Matilda was far superior. 

I'm roughly 20 minutes into the film, but so far I am absolutely in love. Everything I loved about the stage musical is present in the film along with some new surprises. The tone, which I was worried about being translated to the film medium, is absolutely perfect. Will post my full thoughts when I am done watching.

fosterfan2
#85Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 1:22pm

I watched the movie first thing when I got up today. l loved it! Excellent film. Very well done and very clever. Alisha Weir was amazing--the best performance I've seen by a child performer in a long time. Emma Thompson was really good,too.

I don't know if I'm imagining things,but 2 little things stood out to me to make me think that maybe the film is also a biting satire of dictators,which Trunchbull is. First,the metal sign at the entrance of Trunchem Hall is identical to the one at the entrance of Auschwitz. Second,the scene in which the children are outside in front of the school and doing the dance with the flags in perfect,lockstep order reminded me of the few videos I've seen of children in North Korea.

I also found the film very deep and moving. As Roger Ebert would've said,two thumbs up!

Updated On: 12/25/22 at 01:22 PM

bwayphreak234
#86Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 1:32pm

Well, this is probably the greatest stage to screen adaptation I have ever seen. Yes, it's even better than Chicago. Simply brilliant in every way. I had reservations about this film as the stage show was such a unique experience/ production with an extremely clever book and genius design. Everything translated flawlessly here. The cuts to the score and plot didn't bother me at all. In fact, I think they made the story even more focused and streamlined. I never thought I would say this about this adaptation, but I think it manages to improve upon the stage show. Absolutely wonderful.

TotallyEffed
#87Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 2:23pm

Fosterfan, I took note of the Auschwitz gate as well.

fosterfan2
#88Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 3:30pm

*Phew* Glad I'm not crazy!

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#89Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 3:49pm

This is really excellent

How can we get the girl in the red beret a spin off ?

Updated On: 12/25/22 at 03:49 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#90Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 6:36pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "It should be out now on Netflix... keep those thoughts coming, everybody!"

For those without Netflix, is there any other way to watch this movie?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#91Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 6:57pm

Unfortunately not. Oddly, it’s not available on Netflix in the UK/Ireland and won’t be until the summer.

I absolutely loved the movie, especially so as a huge fan of the stage show, I think they adapted the material perfectly. I think this only worked because they had brought back Matthew Warchus for it. His vision for the show makes it work.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

TotallyEffed
#92Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 7:03pm

I think it’s fabulous that someone who truly understood the material directed it instead of some pathetic Hollywood hack. I hope producers and studios pay attention.

Still can’t believe Chris Columbus directed RENT. Just absolutely bizarre. Should have been someone like Spike Lee or John Cameron Mitchell, although to be fair I’m not sure either of them would be interested. But Chris Columbus????

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#93Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 7:29pm

TotallyEffed said: "Still can’t believe Chris Columbus directed RENT. Just absolutely bizarre. Should have been someone like Spike Lee or John Cameron Mitchell, although to be fair I’m not sure either of them would be interested. But Chris Columbus????"

Spike Lee was actually set to direct that at one point, but fell apart. To this day, many Rent fans still wish they got to what his vision for the film would've been. Chris Columbus may have already been a fan of the show and really wanted to make the movie, but that doesn't mean he should. Maybe someday, we'll get a proper film adaptation directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#94Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 9:18pm

Just finished watching. I was pretty much in tears for the last 10 minutes or so.

If I had one thing I was not crazy about, it was the way they did "When I Grow Up". That song just rips my heart out! Cried during it both times I saw the Musical on Broadway. I was kind of hoping they would incorporate the swings. Maybe switch from kids to adults and back swinging on them. (Just what I envisioned)

Otherwise, it was very well done. Beautifully shot. When I saw the trailer I was not a fan of the bits of choreography I saw, but seeing it all together, it was pretty impressive. And those kids danced their butts off. Lashana Lynch also made a wonderful Miss Honey (Which her voice also sounded like) and Emma Thompson can just do anything! I love the inclusion of a bit more of the telekinesis (I never read the book) than I remember in the stage show.

I did notice the fence and I couldn't quite pinpoint why the flags caught my attention. Also, I need to rewind. I noticed in the sequence when the school changed there were two adults on one of the rides. It was so quick I didn't really catch their faces and wondered if they were some sort of cameos.

Going to dry my eyes now!

Just give the world Love.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#95Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 9:21pm

Did anyone else spot the Lauren Ward cameo? (She’s credited as Adult Ensemble during “Miracle”.)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#96Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 10:06pm

I think Lauren Ward was one of the many parents.

TotallyEffed
#97Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 10:19pm

She’s married to the director, no?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#98Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 10:52pm

TotallyEffed said: "She’s married to the director, no?"

she also originated the role of miss honey

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#99Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/22 at 10:59pm

TotallyEffed said: "She’s married to the director, no?"

Yes and I think they have 3 children. They met when she was doing Follies I think.