pixeltracker

Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys

Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys

DaveyG
#1Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/4/21 at 7:47pm

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2021/hamilton-emmy-submissions-lin-manuel-miranda/

So for the Golden Globes, it was a movie. (But not eligible for Academy Awards.)

Now for the Emmys it’s a TV show.

Got it. 

Updated On: 7/4/21 at 07:47 PM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#2Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/4/21 at 8:02pm

Scroll down a bit and that article lists the categories that it is eligible for?

DaveyG
#3Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/4/21 at 8:16pm

Anakela said: "Scroll down a bit and that article lists the categories that it is eligible for?"

I read the article - I just think it’s unfair that they get to have it both ways. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/4/21 at 8:36pm

It’s not being considered a TV show, it’s being considered a “pre-recorded variety special.” Even so, I agree it’s unusual for a project to compete at the Emmys, and in the film categories of the Golden Globes.

But it’s not so surprising when you consider the nature of these awards bodies, and this unusual year. The Oscars are for films - which is a very narrowly-defined art form. The Emmys are for television programs, which is much broader. It’s less about the art form, and more about how it’s presented: anything and everything that plays on TV can be considered a television program, which is why the Emmys have so many frickin’ categories. The Emmys even have a category for movies! Plus this “pre-recorded special” category which can also include “movie-esque” things like Hamilton.

And for the actors, it makes sense that they’d be eligible, just like the actors of SNL are eligible - because at the Emmys, it doesn’t matter whether the performance was in front of an audience or not, if it played on “tv” (or exclusively streaming) it counts.

And because this was the COVID year where everything was streaming, and the Oscars and Globes altered their rules, the line between “film” and “tv film” blurred (which makes sense, because artistically speaking, there is no actual difference). And yet neither the Oscars nor Globes have categories for “pre-taped specials,” so the Oscar disqualified Hamilton, and the Globes (who are much more of a free-for-all awards body) shoved it into their film category.

And it’s not like the Globes and Emmys have any loyalty to each other to keep their rules mutually exclusive. The Emmys accepted Hamilton because it fit into their categories, and met the eligibility requirements. And the Globes accepted Hamilton because the Globes do whatever they want, and they wanted the attention.

So don't blame the Hamilton producers for trying to make use of the awards eligibility they were given. Blame the Globes for having stupid rules - and we HAVE blamed the Globes for having stupid rules, which is partly why there's no more Globes. 

Updated On: 7/4/21 at 08:36 PM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#5Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/4/21 at 8:40pm

Because the Oscars have different rules from the Globes have different rules from the Emmys?

I find this the more interesting conversation/debate:
Emmys: Ongoing Dispute About Whether or Not ‘Hamilton’ Performers Are Eligible for Acting Noms

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#6Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/4/21 at 10:14pm

DaveyG said: "https://www.goldderby.com/article/2021/hamilton-emmy-submissions-lin-manuel-miranda/

So for the Golden Globes, it was a movie. (But not eligible for Academy Awards.)

Now for the Emmys it’s a TV show.

Got it.
"

do you know how categories work?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/5/21 at 6:38am

JBroadway said: and we HAVE blamed the Globes for having stupid rules, which is partly why there's no more Globes."

Did I miss an announcement? The last thing I remember hearing about the Globes. Is that NBC would no longer air them. Not that they didn't exist.

IF the Oscars qualified it as a film, then there would be something afoot. The Globes count for so little.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/5/21 at 8:54am

The Golden Globe Awards STILL exist. NBC announced they’re no longer airing the awards show. That’s it. The Golden Globe Awards didn’t cease to exist. Hahaha.

rg7759
#9Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/5/21 at 9:10am

I say it every year but please condense the Emmys. Not a seperate daytime show. If Hamilton wants Emmys, the poor shows desperate enough to submit for soap opera Emmys should be on the same level. It's capitalism. I will fight to the death that less is more.

Alex Kulak2
#10Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/5/21 at 9:57am

All these seamless awards campaigns for Hamilton are not helping the theory that the show is a CIA psyop.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#11Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/5/21 at 10:39am

BrodyFosse123 said: "The Golden Globe Awards STILL exist. NBC announced they’re no longer airing the awards show. That’s it. The Golden Globe Awards didn’t cease to exist. Hahaha."

Sorry - poor choice of words. I was trying to be hyperbolic to express the extreme reckoning they're facing, but yes, I agree I should've phrased it in a way that wasn't misleading.

However, I think things are a bit worse than you're painting them. NBC's decision didn't happen in a vacuum, it happened because criticism of the Globe's corruption reached a tipping point. No other network will want to touch it with a 10-foot-poll, at least this year. And the Globes are not like other awards shows: The Globes / HFPA function on their smoke-and-mirrors elitism, and a huge part of that is being on a major network, and putting on a glitzy show. Live-streaming a low-budget ceremony from their website isn't really their MO. 

They've promised to reform their system, yes, but they've been so steeped in corruption, they really have their work cut out for them. I believe that the Globes will be back, but I don't think we'll see them this year, unless they really go WAY above and beyond to demonstrate to the public that they've changed. 

Updated On: 7/5/21 at 10:39 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#12Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/5/21 at 11:10am

Live-streaming a low-budget ceremony from their website isn't really their MO.

The Golden Globe Awards ceremony are far from “a low-budget ceremony.”  Of all the awards ceremony it’s the one most look forward to as they serve food and drinks and you’re seated at a table with your represented film.  The Oscars are the most prestigious but it’s the most boring awards to attend and there is no food served during the telecast so everyone starts getting antsy by hour 3 to run to the post-Oscar dinner parties.  I’ve attended 2 Oscars in the past and after the first experience, I brought Pop-Tarts and hid them in my inside jacket pocket.  For some odd reason, you get hungry within the hour.  That’s why past Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres started handing out pizza as a joke as that’s the one thing everyone talks about who has attended the Oscars - you’re starving during the ceremony.  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#13Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/5/21 at 11:29am

BrodyFosse123 said: "The Golden Globe Awards ceremony are far from “a low-budget ceremony.” Of all the awards ceremony it’s the one most look forward to as they serve food and drinks and you’re seated at a table with your represented film." 

No, you misunderstood my post. I specifically called the Globes "glitzy" and said that doing a low-budget ceremony was NOT something they would want to do. My point about low-budget was that, if they don't have the big network funding, and no support from the industry, they might not be able to put on a glamorous event like they usually do. 

If anything, you've proved my point my making a big to-do about the Globes being more fun to attend. That's a big part of their brand, and without that, they might not want to go on this year. 

Now, I might be wrong about their source of funding - the HFPA might have enough money in their own budget to put on a nice show without the network. But in any case, I specifically did not imply that the Globes ceremony is normally low-budget. I was saying quite the opposite. 

Updated On: 7/5/21 at 11:29 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#14Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/5/21 at 4:18pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "All these seamless awards campaigns for Hamilton are not helping the theory that the show is a CIA psyop."

Hamilton is a what now?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Alex Kulak2
#15Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/6/21 at 1:08am

Let me preface this by saying I don't subscribe to this conspiracy:

Psyop is short for "psychological operation", and it's a military tactic used to induce or reinforce behavior favorable to a country's objectives. In the United States, it's used on foreign entities, swaying the people of that country against their oppressive leaders and towards the US Army's side. However, there are conspiracy theorists that believe psyops are used on the American people to maintain the status quo, or to dissuade protest or civil disobedience. Hamilton conveniently happened to come out at a time when the American public was starting to reevaluate the moral character of the founding fathers, and that the musical was put out on the orders of US intelligence agencies to reframe the mostly middle-aged, white supremacist slaveholders that founded our country as a group of young multiracial progressives.

TLDR: Tin-foil hat wearers believe Hamilton was a CIA-sponsored PR campaign for the Founding Fathers, and the near-constant attention from mainstream media and establishment politicians since the moment it was created is seen as evidence in favor of the belief.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#16Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/6/21 at 9:49am

I don't think it should be nominated for anything except for the features unique to the recording of this live performance: the camera direction and the editing. I said this with the Globes nominations as well, it's a well-production live taping, with little to nothing unique, including its performances, to make it award-worthy as a filmed piece of the theatre.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

everythingtaboo
#17Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 3:21pm

It's absurd, embarrassing and infuriating that Hamilton, which was basically a taped performance, got SEVEN acting nominations. In my opinion, it should've only been considered in categories actually unique to the project, like film direction and editing. It's a filmed performance, with little unique to television!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 3:26pm

I really don’t understand it. Does this mean if someone rented out say, The Booth theatre to screen Meryl Streep’s new movie that she should be Tony worthy?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#19Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 4:39pm

Hilarious.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#20Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 4:43pm

everythingtaboo said: "It's absurd, embarrassing and infuriating that Hamilton, which was basically a taped performance, got SEVENacting nominations. In my opinion, it should've only been considered in categories actually unique to the project, like film direction and editing. It's a filmed performance, with little unique to television!"

did you know that all performances nominated at the Emmys are taped performances🤯 shocking i know

everythingtaboo
#21Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 4:46pm

gypsy101 said: "everythingtaboo said: "It's absurd, embarrassing and infuriating that Hamilton, which was basically a taped performance, got SEVENacting nominations. In my opinion, it should've only been considered in categories actually unique to the project, like film direction and editing. It's a filmed performance, with little unique to television!"

did you know thatall performances nominatedat the Emmys aretaped performances? shocking i know
"

You're telling me there's no difference between acting that is done specifically for the screen, and one that is for the stage and filmed?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#22Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 5:09pm

Honestly I find it to be so embarrassing. I think this sets a terrible precedent.

DaveyG
#23Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 5:24pm

This is worse than the ridiculous "Outstanding Musical Performance in a Talk Show/Morning Program" that awarded Ben Platt, Cynthia Erivo and other Bway performers with Emmy Awards for promoting their shows on tv. That was ludicrous and it was finally acknowledged and the category was pulled. 

This is worse because some truly wonderful actors over several categories who made actual television shows lost out to actors that already received Tony noms or wins for the same performances on the same stage. It's pathetic. 

Updated On: 7/13/21 at 05:24 PM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#24Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 5:38pm

The clown show began when Hamilton got the Kennedy Center honour and it got worse ever since. Thank God the Nobel Prize is not an America thing...

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#25Hamilton now campaigning for Emmys
Posted: 7/13/21 at 5:45pm

DaveyG said: "This is worse than the ridiculous"Outstanding Musical Performance in a Talk Show/Morning Program" that awarded Ben Platt, Cynthia Erivo and other Bway performers with Emmy Awards for promoting their shows on tv. That was ludicrous and it was finally acknowledged and the category was pulled.

This is worse because some truly wonderful actors over several categories who made actual television shows lost out to actors that already received Tony noms or winsfor the same performances on the same stage. It's pathetic.
"

WORD DAVEY

Videos