pixeltracker

Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022- Page 3

Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022

TarHeelAlan
#50Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 12/18/21 at 1:09pm

TaffyDavenport said: "TarHeelAlan said: "TaffyDavenport said: "I splurged for this when tickets first went on sale, and I feel much better having spent $150 for mezzanine row D at the Longacre than at the Lyceum. Although, had I known, I might have bought a cheap balcony seat, since the Longacre's is so much better."

We are in the exact same situation as you, having also bought $149 tix for Mezzanine Row D. They seemed to be a good combination of decent location and reasonable price. I'm not familiar enough with the two theatres to make a direct comparison, so just wondering why you feel these seats are actually better in the Longacre than the Lyceum? Thanks for any insight you can offer.
"

Well, besides the fact that the Lyceum is kind of a dump, the mezzanine at the Longacre is closer to the stage, overhanging the orchestra at row H, as opposed to row L at the Lyceum. I think the difference is noticeable.
"

Makes sense, thanks for the information. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#51Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 12/19/21 at 11:23am

Just bought late April seat for a Christmas gift. I agree: the Longacre balcony is a better locale, and it's still very affordable. Second row center is $95. That's damn good, since only one flight down is that astronomical price. You're still just about as far from the stage, only at a different angle. Go for balcony. Now*.

*I did this for Bette's Dolly, and can attest that it was a helluva good seat. Front balcony is Broadway's affordable secret. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Loopin’theloop
#52Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 12/21/21 at 5:34am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Princeton2 said: "Unfortunately now isn't the time to be doing new plays etc. Theatre needs bums on seats, so known crowd pleasers and big names are what's needed to encourage people back into theatres."

Daniel Craig is the name here, and people would see him in anything. So it's unfortunate that it had to be THIS play. This will be Broadway's 5thMacbethsince 2000, and it is coming right on the heels of the Joel Coen film version with Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand.

I'm glad he wants to do theatre. I am a big supporter of movie stars doing theatre and bringing in new audiences. And I understand that new plays can be scary.But like Denzel, Jackman, Viola Davis, Pacino, Streep, etc. audiences would flock to *any*play hedecided to do.

(Ruth Negga is a wonderful talent but is less of an "event" than Craig when it comes to ticket sales.)
"

Yes but the important factor you are missing is that Craig might have only specifically wanted to do this play. 

Loopin’theloop
#53Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 12/21/21 at 5:39am

JBroadway said: "@Dollypop

Sounds like you’ve been unlucky in your Macbeths. As mentioned above, the Goold production was excellent (I didn’t get to see it live, but I love the film translation they did for it). Carrie Cracknell did a really strong production at the Young Vic some years ago. Then in NYC, we had Erica Schmidt’s recent production at the Lortel, with a cast of young women – that was excellent. And Yukio Ninagawa’s production from the 80s came back to NYC a couple years ago, and I thought that was also brilliant. And those are just the ones I’ve personally seen – Macbeth is done all the time, everywhere. There’s bound to be plenty of duds, even among the high-profile production.

On that note though - It does seem strange to me that we’re getting yet another production of Macbeth on Broadway in such a relatively short amount of time – compared with many Shakespeare plays that have barely been produced in NYC recently, let alone on Broadway. I get the criticisms about wishing they would put their star power toward new talent. From an audience standpoint though, I don’t really care. I’m used to see people do and re-do Shakespeare. I once saw 6 productions of 12thNight in less than 2 years.

And yeah, I think Hogan raises a good point. Rudin’s specialty as a producer was attracting high-profile stars, and pairing them with some combination of iconic roles and/or significant directors/playwrights. Many worried that we wouldn’t see as much of that after Rudin’s downfall, but this is a good example of that.
"

Getting stars of Craig’s standing to do new work is really very difficult. It’s so much more risk for a movie star to take

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#54Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/5/22 at 10:36pm

So my partner's tickets for the Belasco run were cancelled and refunded. Weren't they just supposed to be transferred over? He says he never got an email notification, and only realized after AMEX let him know of the credit. The seats we had existed in the Longacre seating plan, any reason why they might have been cancelled? 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#55Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/5/22 at 11:21pm

everythingtaboo said: "So my partner's tickets for the Belasco run were cancelled and refunded. Weren't they just supposed to be transferred over? He says he never got an email notification, and only realized after AMEX let him know of the credit. The seats we had existed in the Longacre seating plan, any reason why they might have been cancelled?"

They're presently and actively reseating everyone - your friend should just contact Telecharge. I'm not sure how long it takes for the reseating to happen to inform whether or not there's actually something awry (I would assume it is automatic and new tickets will be issued once they do it for him). But yeah, when all else fails just contact Telecharge.

jiaxing_26
#56Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 12:04am

A little too early to ask, but based on previous records of *famous actors in iconic plays*, what are the chances that this Macbeth will appear on TKTS/TDF?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#57Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 12:05am

Seems pretty well sold at the moment so my guess is no. 

carnzee
#58Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 9:39am

jiaxing_26 said: "A little too early to ask, but based on previous records of *famous actors in iconic plays*, what are the chances that thisMacbethwill appear on TKTS/TDF?"

My guess is it will pop up on TKTS in the first few weeks. In the current covid climate it wouldn't surprise me if  some of the Tuesday or Wednesday performances later in the run showed up as well. Just my guess.

everythingtaboo
#59Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/6/22 at 10:15am

veronicamae said: "everythingtaboo said: "So my partner's tickets for the Belasco run were cancelled and refunded. Weren't they just supposed to be transferred over? He says he never got an email notification, and only realized after AMEX let him know of the credit. The seats we had existed in the Longacre seating plan, any reason why they might have been cancelled?"

They're presently and actively reseating everyone - your friend should just contact Telecharge. I'm not sure how long it takes for the reseating to happen to inform whether or not there's actually something awry (I would assume it is automatic and new tickets will be issued once they do it for him). But yeah, when all else fails just contact Telecharge.
"

Thanks! I don't remember all this rigmarole when I've been reseated myself previously, I'll tell him to call! 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#60Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/11/22 at 5:31pm

I received an email yesterday telling me that my seat is the same row and number, but, since the Longacre has evens on the left instead of the right, it's on the opposite side of the theatre.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#61Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/11/22 at 5:37pm

I also got the “you have the same seats” email, but I had row G of the balcony at the Lyceum…. There is no row G in the side sections of the Longacre!! 
I haven’t had the chance to call Telecharge yet today to see what’s up

yyys
#62Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 1/11/22 at 6:11pm

Dolly played at the Longacre?

Auggie27 said: "Just bought late April seat for a Christmas gift. I agree: the Longacre balcony is a better locale, and it's still very affordable. Second row center is $95. That's damn good, since only one flight down is that astronomical price. You're still just about as far from the stage, only at a different angle. Go for balcony. Now*.

*I did this for Bette's Dolly, and can attest that it was a helluva good seat. Front balcony is Broadway's affordable secret.
"

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#64Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 11:20am

Oh, screw this creative team. I need another MACBETH like a hole in the head but this whole cast (plus Craig and the luminous Negga) make me want to see it now. *dumps out contents of wallet on box office counter*

Updated On: 2/14/22 at 11:20 AM

everythingtaboo
#65Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 12:04pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Oh, screw this creative team. I need another MACBETH like a hole in the head but this whole cast (plus Craig and the luminous Negga) make me want to see it now. *dumps out contents of wallet on box office counter*"

I'm glad my partner paid for tickets months ago, because I really didn't care if I saw this play again anytime soon, but now with this full cast? Wow and thank you! He's going for Daniel and Ruth, I'm going for everyone else!

yyys
#66Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 1:10pm

will there be rush tickets?!

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#67Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 3:57pm

Based on who "inherits" the kingdom, looks like Sam Gold is basically re-using his concept from King Lear. Of course that worked out so well...

adotburr
#68Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 4:04pm

Grabbed a rear balc seat for July. Not sure what to expect since I've never seen Macbeth before. I'm interested in the show itself and also to see the reviews on this board are for this one and decide if I want to keep or refund.   

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”
Updated On: 2/14/22 at 04:04 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#69Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 4:16pm

Synecdoche2 said: "Based on who "inherits" the kingdom, looks like Sam Gold is basically re-using his concept from King Lear. Of course that worked out so well..."

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I saw Sam Gold's "Lear," but I'm not sure what you're referring to. Frankly, I didn't think his "Lear" had any unified concept whatsoever - that was one of the main issues, I thought. 

Also, are you referring to Macbeth "inheriting" the kingdom in Act 2, Malcolm inheriting it in Act V, or Fleance inheriting it after the events of the play? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#70Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 4:34pm

When was Gold's last good show? Seems like he's had a ton of misses.

JSquared2
#71Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 4:52pm

RippedMan said: "When was Gold's last good show? Seems like he's had a ton of misses."

Fun  Home, A Doll's House 2, Othello at NYTW...love him or hate him, even his "misses"  (Glass Menagerie, Lear), are more interesting than most of the generic revivals we get (e.g. Roundabout Theatre).

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#72Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 4:55pm

RippedMan said: "When was Gold's last good show? Seems like he's had a ton of misses."

Depends on who you ask, since he's a divisive director who does a lot of different kids of work. But I think he did a great job with "Secret Life of Bees," which was just the summer before the shutdowns. Before that, there was "A Doll's House Part 2" which was also pretty strong. I regrettably wasn't able to see his "Othello" but I seem to recall it was pretty well-received. 

As I said earlier in this thread, his career has been such a bizarre hodgepodge of styles and approaches. It's like he's 3-4 totally different directors sharing a body and a name. 

For years people have been saying that his track record with new work seems to be better than revivals, but even that statement is complicated by the fact that his revivals have sometimes been bad for totally opposing reasons (some were too safe and sterile, others were too messy and experimental). And for my money, I've enjoyed several of his more widely-criticized productions, such as Glass Menagerie. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#73Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 5:15pm

Bees! Yes! He seems to do well with new interesting musicals. And agree, if anything he's not boring, so that's good. I don't think I can sit through Othello again, but curious to see what he does with it.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#74Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga to star in Macbeth in March 2022
Posted: 2/14/22 at 5:26pm

I do think Scott Rudin deserves a lot of blame for that LEAR. Scott wanted to deliver a starry ensemble around Glenda, which he did at the expense of them being remotely cohesive. Everyone seemed like they were in a different play, and Ruth Wilson emerged as the MVP. Scott is also the Philip Glass connection.

So in a world where the cast was more cohesive and it wasn't punctuated by odious music, that revival could have been a lot more digestible.