pixeltracker

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews- Page 3

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#50CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 8:14am

It played Off-Broadway at The Public Theatre in 2003. We’re talking about the original Broadway production, which ran from May to August 2004.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#51CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 10:23am

BJR said: "The original was 2003, not 2004."

Same season, love.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#52CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 11:44am

Updated On: 10/10/21 at 11:44 AM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#53CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 4:30pm

I'm here at intermission. It started at 3:17, and people were seated really late, probably because of the crappy weather.

I am really enjoying the show so far. Love that the band is on opposite sides of the stage, love the lights in the sawgrass/cornstalks, love the light effects on the upper half of the stage wall, love the immense talent. The costumes don't bother me at all but the set looks like a damn middle school production, it's kinda wild.

Oh, and there's a teenager beside me who is doing an IG live (ugh) right now. He just said "Hey guys, I'm at studio 54 watching a musical about a woman who does laundry, stay tuned!“.

No Usher said a thing about masks or cell phones nor did anyone ask for my Vax card.

Great day at the theater overall!

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#54CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 4:40pm

kp said: "Brody Fosse Some of the greatest nights I have had in my 45 years of theatre going have been at shows that didn’t have enormous sets or budgets. You must miss out on so much."

I agree with this, but with regards to this show, I think it has to be pointed out that there’s a difference between spare/minimal/inexpensive design and BAD design. The set and costumes of this production are ugly and amateurish, and they distract. It’s still a gorgeous piece, beautifully performed, but it is being held back by bad design work across the board. 

BCfitasafiddle
#55CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 4:44pm

Sutton Ross said: "No Usher said a thing about masks or cell phones nor did anyone ask for my Vax card."

Strange. Last night, we were given wrist bands to prove we had been checked for vaccine cards. 

Also, there was something that sounded like a pre show announcement but it was terribly quiet and by the times the lights dimmed the house was applauding over it.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#56CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 6:40pm

I do wish the set had been redesigned and fancied up for broadway AND I much prefer the gorgeous original production BUT... I think an argument for these drab, simple designs can be made. First of all, the 60s WERE drab for a lot of people. There's also something particularly sad about a Caroline whose fantasy life is even sort of flat. The original production was stunningly beautiful and felt, at times, like a fairy tale. This feels like an early 60s commercial for televisions. I don't love it but I think it's appropriate for the piece and is an interesting perspective. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

LetTheSunshineIn2
#57CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 8:04pm

For those who seen it, what's the run time?  Trying to figure out if I can see a 3pm matinee on Sunday and make it for a 6pm curtain for Six.  

Sutton Ross
#58CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 8:11pm

I walked out at exactly 5:52pm with no stops to the bathroom or merch stand. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#59CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 8:21pm

Sutton Ross said: "I walked out at exactly 5:52pm with no stops to the bathroom or merch stand."

And I’m sure they’ll probably tighten up the show in the days and weeks to come, especially because they’re still very early in the preview period. Roundabout’s website says the show is 2 hrs 25, including intermission.

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross
#60CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 8:45pm

Im aware of what it says but it's longer than that. 

Hairspray0901
#61CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 8:57pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Sutton Ross said: "No Usher said a thing about masks or cell phones nor did anyone ask for my Vax card."

Strange. Last night, we were given wrist bands to prove we had been checked for vaccine cards.

Also, there was something that sounded like a pre show announcement but it was terribly quiet and by the times the lights dimmed the house was applauding over it.
"

I was at today’s matinee as well. They checked vaccine cards and ID however, my friend and I did not receive a wristband. Several people seated around us did though… when I sat down, the woman next to me asked if I was vaccinated. I was like.. “yeah… you can’t get in without being vaccinated…” and she asked why I didn’t have a wrist band. 

My guess is they were running behind so they just stopped giving them. We didn’t get into the theatre until 2:56pm; the line was wrapped around to Colbert and took a while to move. 

VintageSnarker
#62CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 9:10pm

I saw the matinee today. I thought the show was already in excellent shape. I had some personal fuss going on that was a little distracting but, even with that, I think I would have mostly had the same reaction to the show. Right now I think everyone is giving great performances and the cast is highly skilled and talented but the production is not a revelation. It is an extremely competent production but not an emotional knockout, if that makes sense. Sharon was great but it was a strong acting performance that evolved over the show vs. an emotionally devastating cathartic experience where you cry your eyes out. Still, I would highly recommend that everyone see this. The bones of this show are just so damn good. The writing and the themes are still so relevant and so smart. I look forward to seeing it in a month to see if anything has changed.

I'm definitely thinking about getting a discounted ticket for the orchestra. Is the front row too close? I looked out of curiosity and was surprised the tickets are $150 when the second row goes up to $200. 

The house was pretty packed and I only noticed a few unsold seats in the mezz. And given how long it took to get in, I imagine the orchestra was also pretty full. 

ColorTheHours048 said: "And those costumes… The less said, the better."

I have to agree about the costumes. Obviously Caroline's uniform is the same and I didn't have a problem with any of the plain clothes costumes but any of the flashier outfits for the "Radio" singers, the Moon, even Rose's green Hanukkah dress looked... quite cheap. And I was in the mezz. I didn't mind the set but I wasn't exactly expecting She Loves Me or My Fair Lady.

rkade21 said: "Was there and with far less pre-existing familiarity with the show or score than others. Which made it a little tough for me. Kushner’s non-linear story-telling and “lots going on” and sung through book just made it tough to really understand the lyrics - especially whenever the objects were singing, but even Emmie’s huge closing number I was a little lost on the story."

I think I was definitely helped by knowing the album but it might also be a sound issue? This isn't the first show I've seen with overlapping vocals but I can't remember struggling to understand the lyrics, even just to focus on one person instead of hearing everything with other shows. And there were times I felt like the voices were too amplified. I had no problem with the epilogue though and I hope Samantha Williams gets love for her performance. I thought she was fantastic giving Emmie a real naive optimism and earnestness rather than just letting her come across as rebellious and ungrateful. She had a real warmth and I thought Lot's Wife and the Epilogue tied together very well in this production.

For my first show back, I'm glad I saw one where they weren't selling concessions. No issues with anyone taking off their masks at any point and they did check both my vaccination card and ID at the door to make sure they matched. 

smidge
#63CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 9:29pm

Hairspray0901 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Sutton Ross said: "No Usher said a thing about masks or cell phones nor did anyone ask for my Vax card."

"

I was at today’s matinee as well. They checked vaccine cards and ID however, my friend and I did not receive a wristband. Several people seated around us did though… when I sat down, the woman next to me asked if Iwas vaccinated. I was like.. “yeah… you can’t get in without being vaccinated…” and she asked why I didn’t have a wrist band.

My guess is they were running behind so they just stopped giving them. Wedidn’t get into the theatre until 2:56pm;the line was wrapped around to Colbert and took a while to move.
"

Hairspray, were you behind me in KK? I’m sure you’re right about them running out. They needed to open the house earlier.

Sutton Ross
#64CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 9:29pm

I was so happy when a women approached the bar and looked devastated. No drinks. No snacks. Bliss.

It was very well attended (a few empty seats in back mezz) but my other neighbor left at Intermission in the first row mezzanine declaring "this is the slowest, dullest show I've ever seen". More room for me!

"Right now I think everyone is giving great performances and the cast is highly skilled and talented but the production is not a revelation. It is an extremely competent production but not an emotional knockout, if that makes sense"

100% agree.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#65CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 9:30pm

Snarker, here's a pic from row A, the second row. I didn't watch the show from there, but a friend wanted me to check out the stage height for her.

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews

smidge
#66CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 9:31pm

LetTheSunshineIn2 said: "For those who seen it, what's the run time? Trying to figure out if I can see a 3pm matinee on Sunday and make it for a 6pm curtain for Six."

I literally did that today and got to Six a little before 6. And they really didn’t start until 6:10 anyway so you should be good.

Hairspray0901
#67CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 9:47pm

smidge said: "Hairspray0901 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Sutton Ross said: "No Usher said a thing about masks or cell phones nor did anyone ask for my Vax card."

"

I was at today’s matinee as well. They checked vaccine cards and ID however, my friend and I did not receive a wristband. Several people seated around us did though… when I sat down, the woman next to me asked if Iwas vaccinated. I was like.. “yeah… you can’t get in without being vaccinated…” and she asked why I didn’t have a wrist band.

My guess is they were running behind so they just stopped giving them. Wedidn’t get into the theatre until 2:56pm;the line was wrapped around to Colbert and took a while to move.
"

Hairspray, were you behind me in KK? I’m sure you’re right about them running out. They needed to open the house earlier.
"

Possibly! :) I was in KK 108. 

VintageSnarker
#68CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 10:00pm

Thanks, Taffy! It looks good to me. I'll see how the show is selling in December and if there are discounts on the front row.

TaffyDavenport
#69CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 10:03pm

Sounds like there were more than a few of us there today. I was in row JJ, as well. smiley

smidge
#70CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 10:25pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Sounds like there were more than a few of us there today. I was in row JJ, as well.smiley"

I was the extremely handsome gentleman with white hair in JJ106. I had mixed feelings during the first act but thought it all came together in the second act and was terrific.

TaffyDavenport
#71CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 10:31pm

smidge said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Sounds like there were more than a few of us there today. I was in row JJ, as well.smiley"

I was the extremely handsome gentleman with white hair in JJ106. I had mixed feelings during the first act but thought it all came together in the second act and was terrific.
"

Well, hello! I was on the aisle in JJ 102. I enjoyed it very much, except for the woman in HH 102 who must have coughed about 20 times throughout the show.

gibsons2
#72CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/11/21 at 12:15am

TaffyDavenport said: "smidge said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Sounds like there were more than a few of us there today. I was in row JJ, as well.smiley"

"

Well, hello!I was on the aisle in JJ 102. I enjoyed it very much, except for the woman in HH 102 who must have coughed about 20 times throughout the show.

"

Wow, a lot of us were there today it looks like... I was in JJ too. Also, the 1st act left me baffled, not being sure seeing the rest was worth staying... I'm happy I stayed for the second act, every minute of which blew me away. 

ArtMan
#73CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/11/21 at 12:18am

KJisgroovy said: "I do wish the set had been redesigned and fancied up for broadway AND I much prefer the gorgeous original production BUT... I think an argument for these drab, simple designs can be made. First of all, the 60s WERE drab for a lot of people. There's also something particularly sad about a Caroline whose fantasy life is even sort of flat. The original production was stunningly beautiful and felt, at times, like a fairy tale. This feels like an early 60s commercial for televisions. I don't love it but I think it's appropriate for the piece and is an interesting perspective."

Great perspective.  I don't see this until November 3, but I will keep that in mind, while watching.

chrishuyen
#74CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/11/21 at 12:58am

Has anyone done the TodayTix rush and know where the seats are?  I'm trying to decide between that or hiptix for this production.