TINA Reopening Night Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/7/21 at 7:42am

Fresh off her Tony win for Best Actress, Adrienne Warren returns to TINA, for a limited run, which reopens Friday night.

I will be at tonights final dress and Im thrilled to be able to see her and the company in action!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/7/21 at 10:36am

Ya beat me to it, Jacobs.

Have a blast!

Oh look, a bibu!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/7/21 at 10:41am

Flaws and all, I really enjoyed TINA. Adrienne Warren is just so incredible, and her performance is one that is seared in my my memory forever.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/7/21 at 10:50am

Do we have real confirmation of which nights Adrienne Warren is "on" yet?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#5TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/7/21 at 8:22pm

I’ll be at the show tomorrow night. I’ve never actually seen it, so I’m sure I’m in for a good performance.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/7/21 at 9:02pm

Per the website:

Adrienne Warren is scheduled to perform as Tina Turner Tuesday through Saturday evenings and Sunday matinees through October 31, 2021.

Nkeki Obi-Melekwe will perform as Tina Turner for the Wednesday and Saturday matinee performances through October 31, 2021. Beginning November 2, 2021, she will perform as Tina Turner Tuesday through Saturday evenings.

Due to the nature of live theatre, we are unable to guarantee the presence of any particular cast member at a specific show.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/7/21 at 10:13pm

That means Nkeki Obi-Melekwe will only be doing 5 shows a week. Curious who the new alternate will be.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#8TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/7/21 at 10:36pm

It sounds to me like she only takes Sundays off, making it 7 times a week. That is how I read it. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/8/21 at 5:32am

Nkeki Obi-Melekwe will perform as Tina Turner for the Wednesday and Saturday matinee performances through October 31, 2021. Beginning November 2, 2021, she will perform as Tina Turner Tuesday through Saturday evenings.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross
#10TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/8/21 at 11:41am

Yeah, you don't need to repeat it, I said what I said.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#11TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/8/21 at 12:43pm

If we’re going with how it’s worded in reference to Adrienne’s schedule, it does appear that Nkeki will perform the role five times a week.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#12TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/8/21 at 1:42pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, you don't need to repeat it, I said what I said. "

Didn't seem like you knew Wednesday and Saturday matinees exsisted.

Sutton Ross
#13TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/8/21 at 3:31pm

Didn't seem like you knew Wednesday and Saturday matinees exsisted."

I don't know what that word is but it could be Tuesday - Saturdays evenings, every show. It's not a big deal, I'll just ask them. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#14TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 12:19am

Well, that was incredible. Adrienne Warren gave such a good performance that would have won her a Tony even with stronger competition. It’s a deserved win to say the very least. The sold-out crowd gave her a standing ovation at her entrance after the opening number, another justified standing ovation after “River Deep, Mountain High,” and they were on their feet the second the chorus hit in “The Best.” It’s such a good performance that you forgive any cheesy contrivances, odd song placements… it doesn’t matter because it’s just so well performed, and songs are framed so well by the sets, projections, lighting, costumes, and wigs, not to mention the incredible band, probably one of the best I’ve heard on Broadway.

Katori Hall gave a powerful curtain speech about how the company has been changed by the events of the past 18 months and how they are committed to changing Broadway for the better through their activism and through the show. It’s kind of sneaky to get people in the theatre with a known property/celebrity and then have them leave with the notion that Black is beautiful and a Black woman is worthy. Is the show perfect? No, but it is satisfying and entertaining with a legendary star performance. I had a blast tonight.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#15TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 12:29am

HeyMrMusic said: "Songs are framed so well by the sets, projections, lighting, costumes, and wigs, not to mention the incredible band, probably one of the best I’ve heard on Broadway.

I never mentioned the show has a new music director upon reopening: Alvin Hough Jr., who was the associate MD (to Nicholas Skilbeck) before the shutdown.

Oh look, a bibu!

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#16TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 1:01am

Yes, Warren was incredible.  They were all electrifying.  The extended performance was icing on the cake. Hope to see her again before she leaves.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#17TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 1:13am

Jordan Levinson said: "HeyMrMusic said: "Songs are framed so well by the sets, projections, lighting, costumes, and wigs, not to mention the incredible band, probably one of the best I’ve heard on Broadway.

I never mentioned the show has a new music director upon reopening: Alvin Hough Jr., who was the associate MD (to Nicholas Skilbeck)before the shutdown.
"

Yup, and he’s great! He was the MD of Once On This Island, which of course was also a stellar evening of music.

JSquared2
#18TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 1:22am

Does anyone who was there tonight know why people were applauding during intermission in the mezzanine?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#19TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 6:47am

They live streamed on Instagram Katori’s entire pre-show speech and the first minute of the show so we experienced the roar from the audience as the curtain rose and revealed Adrienne with her back to the audience. They also live streamed the full curtain call including the entire medley done at the end. They even did a pan of the entire audience on their feet after the curtain finally came down.

TINA Reopening Night Thread

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#20TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 12:47pm

“It’s kind of sneaky to get people in the theatre with a known property/celebrity and then have them leave with the notion that Black is beautiful and a Black woman is worthy.”

Wait, what?

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#21TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 2:27pm

I probably worded that really poorly. I took away that a Black woman overcame racism, sexism, and abuse that she experienced her entire life and still came out on top. I think the image of a powerful Black woman who’s a survivor and is also a beloved genre-busting icon is something we need to see post-pandemic. I think themes resonated in new ways after the last 18 months.

adrian55 Profile Photo
adrian55
#22TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 5:01pm

JSquared2 said: "Does anyone who was there tonight know why people were applauding during intermission in the mezzanine?"

I was in the Orch. and wondering that as well! Turns out someone in the mezz proposed to their significant other. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#23TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 11:11pm

HeyMrMusic said: "I probably worded that really poorly. I took away that a Black woman overcame racism, sexism, and abuse that she experienced her entire life and still came out on top. I think the image of a powerful Black woman who’s a survivor and is also a beloved genre-busting icon is something we need to see post-pandemic. I think themes resonated in new ways after the last 18 months."

Ohhh, ok, got it. The word “sneaky” really threw me off. I agree with your sentiments.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Sutton Ross
#25TINA Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/24/21 at 12:58am

She didn't have to make that video or apologize. She is classy, professional, talented, and should make her health her number one priority, always. 

Videos