pixeltracker

Company Reviews (and beyond)- Page 37

Company Reviews (and beyond)

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#900Company
Posted: 6/1/22 at 5:20pm

The biggest thing is that Susan and Peter's balcony and the soloist in Getting Married Today come out of the ground on Broadway. That would have to change (although they definitely can, as many other shows with lifts do).

The orchestra being suspended above the stage might also have to go. IDK if that's tough to make structurally sound and work in all sorts of theatres. 

I know they also automated a lot more when they moved from London to Broadway and I wonder if they might have to de-automate some of the movement too. 

I'm sure that if Chris Harper decides that it makes financial sense to do it, Bunny Christie can make it work in the sets and Marrianne Elliot can adjust the staging. 

hollebolle
#901Company
Posted: 6/6/22 at 2:11pm

Saw this again yesterday and it’s still in amazing shape. It’s lovely to see how performances have evolved over the past few months—specifically a few comedic beats that have gotten even stronger. Tally Sessions was on as Peter and he was great! 

starlightlocamotion
#902Company
Posted: 6/6/22 at 3:13pm

Have a ticket I can’t use for sale for tomorrow evenings performance (6/7) at 7pm! Orchestra Left Row A seat 3…75$ total. Anyone wanna treat themselves to a cute little front row moment tomorrow? Company

Laurapattifan Profile Photo
Laurapattifan
#903Company
Posted: 6/6/22 at 4:02pm

Booking Link

Bond Theatrical has it booking full weeks 2023/2024. Probably for the Tony votes more than a guaranteed tour. 

ashley0139
#904Company
Posted: 6/6/22 at 4:05pm

starlightlocamotion said: "Have a ticket I can’t use for sale for tomorrow evenings performance (6/7) at 7pm! Orchestra Left Row A seat 3…75$ total. Anyone wanna treat themselves to a cute little front row moment tomorrow? Company"

I'm not in the city, but I've sat there and it's a great seat for a great price so I hope someone can take you up on it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

alexidarling15
#905Company
Posted: 6/6/22 at 11:22pm

I just sat in orchestra A1 and agree A3 is a great seat.
I last saw the show in Jan in previews and loved it then but WOW, it’s so much better now. All of the comedy is sharper and Katrina’s chemistry with the rest of the cast has really improved. It’s a much warmer performance, one that makes you believe her friendships are genuine and she didn’t just wander into the wrong musical by accident. I was weeping during Being Alive. I really think she would get another Tony if the committee could see her work today.

And I’m beating a dead horse here but I am truly astonished that Claybourne Elder did not get recognized by the Tonys....

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

How does Andy get out of bed and into the bathroom for the tick-tock scene-- and then back again?

Chris Fitzgerald, too, hysterical, I would see him in a one-man show anytime. Patti was fantastic. Agree that Tally Sessions was a natural Peter. And I was so moved by  “Another Hundred People” for the first time - such powerful vocals by Bobby Conte.
If you haven’t seen it since the start of the run, go back! (So many empty seats.)

Updated On: 6/7/22 at 11:22 PM

hollebolle
#906Company
Posted: 6/6/22 at 11:59pm

alexidarling15, my post earlier today was super lazy but I 100% agree with everything you said, especially how the show has evolved since January, which is also when I first saw it. You articulated my thoughts perfectly 😊

Regarding the bed (not really a spoiler, but just in case):

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I keep telling myself I’m going to keep an eye out for clues and then always get distracted lol (which I’m sure is exactly the intention). But I have seen some kind of movement under the bed around when the switch happens. I also noticed that when they’re actually using the bed, I think they mostly leverage the stage right side, which makes me think there may be a trap door or something on the stage left side of the bed, that allows him to go into the bed and out the back. 

At first, I thought that perhaps the bed aligns with with the platform that rises, and maybe he uses a trap door to exit under the stage, but I’m not sure that gives him enough time to get to the bathroom, and would generally be a really roundabout exit. 

khabrache7
#907Company
Posted: 6/7/22 at 9:26am

Tonight, after 7pm, Company’s Facebook will be airing something live from the theater. I assume it’s the opening/title number!

alexidarling15
#908Company
Posted: 6/7/22 at 10:30am

Thank you hollebolle - that theory makes sense - also thanks for reminding me to use the spoiler function...

SydneyBristow
#909Delete
Posted: 6/7/22 at 6:22pm

Updated On: 6/9/22 at 06:22 PM

BookandLyricsby
#910Company
Posted: 6/8/22 at 3:46pm

Funny and illuminating emails between Marianne Elliott and Sondheim chart the development of the revival: 

https://deadline.com/2022/06/stephen-sondheim-marianne-elliott-new-emails-company-evolution-1235037493/

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#911Company
Posted: 6/8/22 at 4:28pm

LOVED this article.

Nolan LuPone
#912Company
Posted: 6/8/22 at 5:31pm

What an interesting article! Something that is sticking out to me is Sondheim's recollection of Furth's inspiration for Jenny and David. I found that particularly amusing. Does anyone know of any other inspirations for the couples?

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#913Company
Posted: 6/8/22 at 5:36pm

Nolan LuPone said: "What an interesting article! Something that is sticking out to me is Sondheim's recollection of Furth's inspiration for Jenny and David. I found that particularly amusing. Does anyone know of any other inspirations for the couples?"

Not necessarily the other couples but the lyric “Hank and Mary get into town tomorrow” is a shout out to Henry “Hank” Guettel and Mary Rodgers. I’ve always loved that. 

Nolan LuPone
#914Company
Posted: 6/8/22 at 5:38pm

Oh wow, I never noticed that, thanks for sharing!

Bill Snibson
#915Company
Posted: 6/8/22 at 5:43pm

n2nbaby said: "LOVED this article."

Me too. What great insight into the process of creating this production. I really love how receptive and collaborative Sondheim is about making the changes and making sure it feels timely, as well as Marianne Elliott’s enthusiasm when certain moments that perhaps felt tricky or troubling get cracked. 

Wayman_Wong
#916Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:24am

''Count me in as someone who was shocked that Claybourne Elder was overlooked. ... Claybourne has killed me with what he's doing with Andy. I know where all the laughs are supposed to go, and I know the script, and he somehow finds a way to make me laugh every time. ... Sad that he wasn't even nominated.''

I definitely agreed that Elder should've been Tony-nominated, just as Richard Fleeshman, who played Andy in the London ''Company,'' was nominated for an Olivier Award, alongside Jonathan Bailey's Jamie. Elder plays a himbo, but gives it his own goofy spin. Plus,  I believe Jesse Green in his N.Y. Times piece about who will win a Tony, and who should win, singled out Elder as someone who Should Have Been Nominated. Elder easily could've been the 6th Tony nominee in the Featured Actor in a Musical category, and what's more, there was room. All the other Featured Actor/Actress categories have 6 nominees, except this one.

Updated On: 6/9/22 at 01:24 AM

Bill Snibson
#917Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:37am

Clayborne has made Andy a comic masterpiece. I’m so mad about him being snubbed. He earned a nomination. 

Bill Snibson
#918Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:39am

Nolan LuPone said: "Oh wow, I never noticed that, thanks for sharing!"

It has also lead me to question “Sheila and George” who are mentioned during the Sarah/Harry scene. Anyone have any ideas or insight if they are actual friends of either Furth or Sondheim?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#919Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 7:34am

What a fantastic article! Loved every second, especially the way Sondheim was trying to psychologically understand the dynamics of gender in relationships today. And how insightful Marianne was about the original piece and those dynamics today!

Nolan LuPone
#920Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 11:22am

LuPone Dolls said Company plans to close October 9th on their Instagram Story. To my behind-the-scene people, is there any truth to this?
Company

Updated On: 6/9/22 at 11:22 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#921Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 11:26am

I’d imagine they’re going to wait for the potential boost of the Tonys before deciding on a closing date. 

Nolan LuPone
#922Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 11:28am

Thank you. My stomach turned over when I saw it, and I couldn't believe it was true. They must've seen when the ticket block ends, and assumed that's when closing was?

Updated On: 6/9/22 at 11:28 AM

Bill Snibson
#923Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 11:30am

ljay889 said: "I’d imagine they’re going to wait for the potential boost of the Tonys before deciding on a closing date."

They have been struggling a bit lately. It’ll be interesting what type of boost they get from the Tony’s. Running til Oct seems slightly unrealistic to me. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#924Company
Posted: 6/9/22 at 11:42am

They haven't been doing great business lately. Hopefully after the Tony Awards they get a boost. October 9 is likely the end of everyone's contracts. So unless the producers are searching for a few names to replace LuPone, Lenk, etc., that's probably accurate.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.