pixeltracker

Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE: THE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread

Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE: THE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE: THE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/4/22 at 10:16am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Elton-John-and-Jake-Shears-Tammy-Faye-Bakker-Musical-to-Hit-the-West-End-in-Fall-2022-20220303

As BroadwayWorld previously reportedJames Graham is collaborating with music legend Elton John and Jake Shears of The Scissor Sisters on a musical take on the life of infamous TV evangelist, Tammy Faye Bakker.

According to Baz Bamigboye of The Daily Mail the musical is now set to open in autumn 2022 at the Almeida Theatre on London's West End. The production is set to be directed by Rupert Goold, who previously helmed a workshop of the show in 2020.

Updated On: 1/29/23 at 10:16 AM

lachri5
#2Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 10:19am

Wonder what this means for the David Yazbek, Kristin Chenoweth Tammy Faye musical. Will we have another Wild Party situation soon in NYC?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#3Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 11:03am

Another Tammy Faye saga?  I'm sorry, but is she really that interesting?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#4Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 11:10am

Borstalboy said: "Another Tammy Faye saga? I'm sorry, but is she really that interesting?"

No.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 1:55pm

If they can go the Evita route and not the Diana route, I think this sounds fun. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#6Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 1:59pm

I mean, Tammy Faye was a HUGE gay icon, and with two of the biggest queer artists in music helming the score, I can definitely see how this musical could end up being a MAJOR camp extravaganza.

I’m intrigued to see how this is going to go…

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 3:10pm

Elton John is going to be a busy man this summer/fall. Good for him.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#9Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 3:51pm

It's Off West End at the Alamedia Theatre in a area called Islington that's a frew train stops from the West End. Small established theatre with about 350 seats. Mat Smith was there with American Psycho a few years back.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#10Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 3:57pm

I'm a huge fan of Tammy Faye and this gives me pause. The PTL story has been worn down to the nub. It's so boring at this point. As far as the last film, Jessica Chastain's portrayal truly became interesting to me when Tammy got to the 90s and it was just a miniscule part of the film. Tammy in the 90s was really interesting.

If it goes campy that also doesn't really appeal to me. I really appreciate Tammy and if you go straight for camp, you're not being sincere. She had camp elements but she was never trying to be campy. She was sincere. She has a good sense of humor about it. It's like making a musical about Dolly Parton all camp-it doesn't work. To make a Tammy musical very campy dehumanizes her and once you've done that you've lost her core fan base. 

I think this would do better as a smaller off-Broadway show that could run longer for less money. 

Also Jake Shears is lucky Elton John fancies him. I find his solo songwriting lacking, his singing mediocre at best and his last musical score was barely passable. I find him very one note. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

lilpunkin
#11Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 3/4/22 at 5:15pm

My understanding is that the script will focus on Tammy Faye Messner’s work in advocating for people with HIV and AIDS, and how she tried to redeem herself by becoming a gay icon. The reason they hired James Graham who is a serious political playwright (with a history of work exploring politics and LGBTQ identity) is because they wanted a writer capable of delivering a mature book that explored the sociopolitics of Messner’s involvement in the LGBTQ community. 

You can’t really put a woman like that on stage and have it not be a bit campy, but I don’t think the intention is to do a full on camp fest.

Almeida run is essentially being used as a try out ahead of the West End run.

mattyp4
#12Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/25/22 at 5:09pm

I know she's not for everyone, but I'm actually a big fan/admirer of Tammy Faye. I was initially drawn to the camp factor, but I think she's a complicated, fascinating woman. (Wasn't crazy about the movie but I'm happy she's getting more attention.) I'm also a big fan of Elton John and Jake Shears. (And very curious about James Graham's involvement.) So this show is somewhat of a must see for me. 

I'm strongly considering going to London to catch this at the Almeida but the dates aren't super great for me. For anyone familiar with the London theater scene, what's the trajectory like for shows post-Almeida. I just read about Peter Morgan's Patriots transferring to the West End next summer, after its Almeida run concluded this past week. That announcement seemed fast. Tammy Faye is labeled as a "world premiere" so I suspect they are gearing for a life after the Almeida... especially with a big name like Elton John at the helm. Basically wondering if I should hold out for a transfer (either UK or US) or pull the trigger for the Almeida. (I'm sure the intimacy of the Almeida is a selling point.) 

Also wondering how quickly this will sell with patrons/members of the Almeida! I'd hope to grab a single seat once they go on sale to the general public next week. 

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#13Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/25/22 at 5:26pm

Many Almeida Theatre productions transfer to the West End, especially in the past few years with Rupert Goold at the helm - Patriots, Summer and Smoke, The Doctor, Mary Stuart, Hamlet all transfered in the past 3/4 years. And in the past decade there were shows that ended up both in the West End and New York, like Oresteia or King Charles III. James Graham has an excellent record of plays transfering to the West End, and unless it's even worse than Prada, with Elton John attached it would need to be a disaster of epic proportion not to transfer. It's a small theatre and it sells out very quickly. I think with the recent Macbeth with Saoirse Ronan they held back tickets for the general public. I hope they'll do the same for Streetcar Named Desire and they might do it for this too.

Updated On: 8/25/22 at 05:26 PM

lilpunkin
#14Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/26/22 at 12:47pm

It will be transferring to the West End (unless it’s such a colossal flop they have no choice but to cancel it). The West End run was actually arranged first with the intention of going straight to the West End. Once Rupert Goold got involved he wanted it to have a run at the Almeida first, which all involved were happy to do as it will give the show a trial run to iron out any kinks.

Already in talks for Broadway at a later date. These talks and plans have been going on for several years. This won’t be a small show.

SouthernCakes
#15Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/26/22 at 1:07pm

I hope it’s not a small show!! Bring on production value.  

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#16Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/26/22 at 1:15pm

If the show drop isn't a giant pair of eyelashes, I'm not going.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#17Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/26/22 at 8:07pm

I admit I’ve only seen one show there (the recent spring awakening) but is it possible for there to be a ‘big show’ in that space? It is a small theatre. Like off Broadway vibes. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/26/22 at 8:38pm

Borstalboy said: "Another Tammy Faye saga? I'm sorry, but is she really that interesting?"

Enough for Jessica Chastain to win an Oscar a few months ago for playing Tammy Faye:

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#19Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/26/22 at 9:20pm

As long as Shears isn't actually in this, there might be hope. Shears was horrendous in Kinky Boots.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

mattyp4
#20Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/27/22 at 4:16pm

Thanks, imeldasturn & lilpunkin! You've managed to cool my jets & convince me to hold out for the inevitable transfer. I'm all for a bigger production with ironed-out kinks anyway. But of course if it turns out to be a colossal bomb & closes at the Almeida I'll never forgive myself!! :P (Still kicking myself for passing up the Spice Girls musical when I was in London a while back! And on the Elton front, I also regret missing Lestat when it was here on Broadway.) 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 8/27/22 at 4:28pm

Can Encores do the Spice Girls musical? There's legit so much potential there. 

rockfenris2005
#22Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 9/9/22 at 3:43am

I wonder what happened with the Animal Farm musical they said he was going to write.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Ke3
#23Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 9/9/22 at 10:42am

rockfenris2005 said: "I wonder what happened with the Animal Farm musical they said he was going to write."

Don't know about Elton but as of early 2021 Alan Menken was working on an Animal Farm musical. No news about it since the announcement though. 

https://playbill.com/article/alan-menken-glenn-slater-james-graham-at-work-on-animal-farm-musical

verywellthensigh
#24Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 9/9/22 at 1:40pm

Chastain may have won the Oscar, but the movie didn't connect with moviegoers.  I still have a tough time believing this has an audience.  I'm a bit sick of hagiographies, TBH. 

https://www.thethings.com/the-eyes-of-tammy-faye-bombed-box-office/

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#25Elton John & Jake Shears’ TAMMY FAYE to hit the West End this fall
Posted: 9/9/22 at 2:07pm

To be fair, the Box Office for most Oscar bait movies tends to be low. Unless you are a Marvel film or daft blockbuster or a horror, you ain't making money.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna