TO MY GIRLS at 2ST

TheSecretArden
#1TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/15/22 at 2:51pm

Previews for this show begin tonight, but I haven't noticed any buzz about it. Is anyone going to see it this week? I'd love to hear some audience reports before buying a ticket. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/15/22 at 3:02pm

I was a bit on the fence about this one but decided to get a ticket after seeing Bryan Batt is in it. I have wanted to see him onstage. I also liked Jay Armstrong Johnson in "Hands on a Hardbody" so after watching interviews with the entire cast, I decided to buy a ticket. Seeing it next month and looking forward to people's thoughts on it.

Just give the world Love.

kwoc91
#3TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/15/22 at 3:30pm

Seeing this on 3/24!

hearthemsing22
#4TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/15/22 at 6:37pm

Seeing this on Friday. Will definitely report back. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#5TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/15/22 at 7:44pm

It's a hilarious play. I'm excited to see it! Prob going next week.

Dollypop
#6TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/16/22 at 7:59am

BJR said: "It's a hilarious play. I'm excited to see it! Prob going next week."

How do you know it's a "hilarious play" if you haven't seen it yet 

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

hearthemsing22
#7TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/16/22 at 8:08am

Dollypop said: "BJR said: "It's a hilarious play. I'm excited to see it! Prob going next week."

"

This is exactly how I feel when someone says “oh that show is going to be horrible” before they even see it live in person. Like, how do you even know?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#8TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/16/22 at 8:09am

Because I've read it...?

kurtal
#9TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/16/22 at 2:27pm

Got a rush ticket for tonight...will report.

heybaby
#10TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/16/22 at 2:34pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Dollypop said: "BJR said: "It's a hilarious play. I'm excited to see it! Prob going next week."

"

This is exactly how I feel when someone says “oh that show is going to be horrible” before they even see it live in person. Like, how do you even know?
"

Yeah... no, plays actually generally begin as a written text, which generally must be read before being produced. 

MemorableUserName
#11TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/16/22 at 2:47pm

Looking forward to hearing more about this. Was tempted to get a ticket based on some of the cast members, but would really like to hear more about what it's actually about (that official plot description is vague as hell).

Is there anything more fabulous than Palm Springs after the end of the world? For one tight group of gay men, a post-pandemic getaway is the perfect chance to reunite, reclaim their time, and replace the gloom with some gossip. But as soon as the drinks start pouring, truths start spilling, and this chosen family quickly realizes the world has changed. So, here’s to navigating evolving friendships and getting things straight…kind of.

Dollypop
#12TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/16/22 at 9:31pm

heybaby said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Dollypop said: "BJR said: "It's a hilarious play. I'm excited to see it! Prob going next week."

"

"

Yeah... no, plays actually generally begin as a written text, which generally must be read before being produced.
"

So hearthemsing22 is a producer?  I didn't know that.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

kurtal
#13TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 3:30am

Saw this tonight.  I didn't enjoy it.  There were a few funny moments, and the cast gave it their all.  But I found the writing terribly cliched, and it was trying way too hard to be cool and hip and relevant.  Imagine all of the intergenerational angst of The Inheritance but set in Palm Springs as a relationship-comedy.  The dialogue felt forced and unnatural, and the message of the play was all over the place.  

Some folks in the audience seemed to enjoy it more than I did, but I heard more groans than laughter throughout, and I definitely don't think that was the playwright's intent.  

I hate saying this about a queer focused show, especially with a majority POC cast, but I'd say skip it.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#14TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 7:37am

Dollypop said: "So hearthemsing22 is a producer? I didn't know that."

BJR is the one who said it was hilarious and you two questioned how would he know…not hearthemsing22.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#15TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 7:48am

Window card?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#16TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 7:55am

kurtal said: "Saw this tonight. I didn't enjoy it. There were a few funny moments, and the cast gave it their all. But I found the writing terribly cliched, and it was trying way too hard to be cool and hip and relevant. Imagine all of the intergenerational angst of The Inheritance but set in Palm Springs as a relationship-comedy. The dialogue felt forced and unnatural, and the message of the play was all over the place.

Some folks in the audience seemed to enjoy it more than I did, but I heard more groans than laughter throughout, and I definitely don't think that was the playwright's intent.

I hate saying this about a queer focused show, especially with a majority POC cast, but I'd say skip it.
"

This kinda sucks. Well, I guess all the queer theatre and characters popping up this year can be winners. At least I’m satisfied knowing I only paid $40 for my ticket next week

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

RUkiddingme
#17TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 1:13pm

"I hate saying this about a queer focused show, especially with a majority POC cast, but I'd say skip it."

Neither of these matter when a show is bad.

What I didn't get about the show was like 90 minutes was trying to be a gay Neil Simon comedy full of zingers (many of them very funny), but out of no where the last 15-20 minutes spun off into some morality play that no one wants to see.

kurtal
#18TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 2:46pm

RUkiddingme said: "What I didn't get about the show was like 90 minutes was trying to be a gay Neil Simon comedy full of zingers (many of them very funny), but out of no where the last 15-20 minutes spun off into some morality play that no one wants to see."

It was so clunky and unsatisfying.  I didn't understand what it was trying to accomplish with the last big event.  Just...none of it made sense to me.

But you're right.  There was some good comedy in the first half of the show.  I absolutely tire of the constant faux intergenerational conflict and broad categorizations of people based on their age.  And the pontifications about the relevance of the gay experience, while at times valid, offered no new insight whatsoever.

Now, give me a play in which Leon and the young guy (can't remember the characters name ... he's the one played by Noah Ricketts) are somewhat odd couple roommates, and I'd be all in.  

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#19TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 2:53pm

kurtal said: "RUkiddingme said: "What I didn't get about the show was like 90 minutes was trying to be a gay Neil Simon comedy full of zingers (many of them very funny), but out of no where the last 15-20 minutes spun off into some morality play that no one wants to see."

It was so clunky and unsatisfying. I didn't understand what it was trying to accomplish with the last big event. Just...none of it made sense to me.

But you're right. There was some good comedy in the first half of the show. I absolutely tire of the constant faux intergenerational conflict and broad categorizations of people based on their age. And the pontifications about the relevance of the gay experience, while at times valid, offered no new insight whatsoever.

Now, give me a play in which Leon and the young guy (can't remember the characters name ... he's the one played by Noah Ricketts) are somewhat odd couple roommates, and I'd be all in.

"

Can you let us know what the title means? Do they all refer to each other as "girl" or something? 

iluvtheatertrash
#20TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 9:16pm

I suppose i’m wrong for judging a show I only saw half of, but this garbage dumpster of a play wasn’t worth another minute of my time, so I walked out. I don’t need to pay money to see insufferable, arrogant, body-obsessed gay men look for the adoration of us peasants. I could walk to any gay bar and see it any night of the week. 

I don’t know what happens in the second half, but the first hour had zero redeeming qualities and I’ve no interest in seeing work that doesn’t empower me as a gay man, but shames me further. 

The set is lovely. Cast talented. But what I saw was an awful piece of writing, and I think 2ST should be embarrassed for producing it.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

tomwsjr
#21TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/17/22 at 10:27pm

I spoke to a friend who just saw it, his first sentence to me was “don’t waist your time and money”.  As a gay man he really wanted to like it but said it was two hours of boring cliches strong together to form a play. So disappointing. 

iluvtheatertrash
#22TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/18/22 at 12:43am

I rarely walk out mid-show. It’s gotta REALLY bother me. This REALLY bothered me.

SouthernCakes
#23TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/18/22 at 3:10am

I get your point but at that point that already had your money so might as well have seen it out? 

iluvtheatertrash
#24TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/18/22 at 6:28am

SouthernCakes said: "I get your point but at that point that already had your money so might as well have seen it out?"

Life’s too short.

Sushisake Profile Photo
Sushisake
#25TO MY GIRLS at 2ST
Posted: 3/18/22 at 9:16am

I believe you were actually sitting next to us last night. While what you say has so much merit, I would like to add that I found the comeuppance throughout the second half of the play to be much more satisfying.