pixeltracker

Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'

Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#1Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/7/22 at 1:19pm

Actress Pamela Anderson was a guest on 'The View' talking about relocating from the west coast to NYC to join the musical "Chicago" for eight weeks.  She said she was first invited to play the role ten years ago, but she didn't want to take it because her kids were too young. She was invited again by Barry Wessler earlier this year, and now she's making her B'way debut. She likes taking new challenges. 

Anderson says she's 'scared out of her mind' (the cohosts picked up on her nervous energy while sitting next to her), and Whoopi Goldberg gave her encouragement - the audience wants her to succeed, and she needs to remind herself the audience bought tickets to see her. 

https://youtu.be/HoePfrc29vo

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#2Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/7/22 at 2:25pm

I know a lot of people were upset about this casting, but I’m going to give her the benefit of the doubt. It seems like she really respects the work and wants to put in the effort for her performance. That’ll speak for itself in a few weeks.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/7/22 at 2:30pm

soulmistin said: "I know a lot of people were upset about this casting, but I’m going to give her the benefit of the doubt. It seems like she really respects the work and wants to put in the effort for her performance. That’ll speak for itself in a few weeks."<

I agree. I do feel she has a fair amount of support from the Broadway community and fans. It’s mostly the “woke” gen Z crowd I see complaining because they want Emma Pittman to get her shot. I do agree they need to give Emma her deserved opportunity soon.

cwilliams Profile Photo
cwilliams
#4Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/7/22 at 5:03pm

One thing I respected  about Cameron Mackintosh,he didn't resort to stunt casting to try to keep Cats, Les Miz, Miss Saigon or Phantom running. I love Chicago but it seems pretty clear that stunt casting is the only reason this show is still able to run, and I think that has led to a lack of quality in the show overall, compared to where it was in the late 90s

Ke3
#5Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/7/22 at 5:33pm

cwilliams said: "One thing I respected about Cameron Mackintosh,he didn't resort to stunt casting to try to keep Cats, Les Miz, Miss Saigon or Phantom running. I love Chicago but it seems pretty clear that stunt casting is the only reason this show is still able to run, and I think that has led to a lack of quality in the show overall, compared to where it was in the late 90s"

That’s not out of some grand respect for the material. He’s done everything he can to turn the shows themselves into stars so that he doesn’t need to bother with stars, and therefore, their salaries. He’s also aware that stunt casting most of these would be incredibly hard. The only ones with a clear role for a star are Phantom and Saigon. Good luck finding stars with those voice types. Trust me, if he thought the reward would outweigh the costs of a star salary, the man would go full on Weissler.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/7/22 at 5:55pm

Pamela Anderson is bringing back life to CHICAGO.  She’s been doing across the board press from Broadway media to full out national talk shows.  It not only is resurfacing her name and image but putting back CHICAGO and Broadway on the mainstream audience’s radar again.  CHICAGO hasn’t had this much coverage on it in decades. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#7Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/8/22 at 12:26am

I was very impressed with this candid interview she did. She has confidence, and takes this job very seriously. This might be a new chapter in her life. 

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#8Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/8/22 at 1:33am

Ke3 said: "cwilliams said: "One thing I respected about Cameron Mackintosh,he didn't resort to stunt casting to try to keep Cats, Les Miz, Miss Saigon or Phantom running. I love Chicago but it seems pretty clear that stunt casting is the only reason this show is still able to run, and I think that has led to a lack of quality in the show overall, compared to where it was in the late 90s"

That’s not out of some grand respect for the material. He’s done everything he can to turn the shows themselves into stars so that he doesn’t need to bother with stars, and therefore, their salaries. He’s also aware that stunt casting most of these would be incredibly hard. The only ones with a clear role for a star are Phantom and Saigon. Good luck finding stars with those voice types. Trust me, if he thought the reward would outweigh the costs of a star salary, the man would go full on Weissler.
"

Roxie really is the perfect role for stunt casting due to the actual plot and themes of the show when you think about it. It's quite brilliant. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#9Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/8/22 at 8:51am

she also did a nice interview on the Broadway show with Tamsen Fadal

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#10Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/8/22 at 10:49pm

So anyone here planning to see her in the show? 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#11Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:06pm

I’ll be there Thursday!

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#12Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/9/22 at 11:43am

Please let us know what you think.  I may be returning to NYC in May, and after seeing her on 'The View', I want to go and see this (again) and support her - she really won me over.  I had no intention of seeing her before the interview, but now I'm on board with this choice. 

FabalaYero85
#13Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/9/22 at 1:10pm

I’m going 22nd April. Still think it’s publicity for her ‘image’ due to the Hulu series and the new Netflix documentary coming soon. Skeptical until I see the first official pictures and hear her sing. Not expecting much, it is Chicago. The stunt casting is legendary. But in the 25 years that the revival has been out, I’ve never seen due to not wanting to see horrid stunt casting. It really brought Pam Anderson for me to see Chicago. But I was a kid when she was in her celeb prime, so this is a bit exciting!

hmm...

White_Lotus Profile Photo
White_Lotus
#14Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/9/22 at 1:15pm

David10086 said: "So anyone here planning to see her in the show?"

i will be going 

i’ve loved pam anderson from her days on ‘home improvement’

i am rooting for her! 

no one filled a red one piece swimming suit like pam anderson!

"Opinions are very interesting because we all have different ones. You are entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean you should always give it to others, especially when your opinion is not necessarily grounded in truth, but in what you believe or want to believe."
Updated On: 4/9/22 at 01:15 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#15Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/9/22 at 1:21pm

David10086 said: "So anyone here planning to see her in the show?"

Absolutely.  Haven’t been back to see CHICAGO since it’s days at the Shubert Theatre and I already bought my tickets.  I also have about 10 friends who are flying in to see her during her run.  And these are non-Broadway people.  Pamela has brought back that long-gone spark to CHICAGO.  Even if she just stands in place and wiggles and talk-sings her songs, we’re all excited about this Broadway debut. 

Phantom4ever
#16Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/10/22 at 12:31pm

I'll be seeing the show in two weeks. My favorite number is always "Me and My Baby" and whenever Roxie is stunt casted, they water her choreography down to nothing almost. That Erika Jayne who was in it the last time I saw Chicago was just horrendous, and even worse were her fans in the audience talking about how terrible the show was and she was the only good thing about it, when it was the opposite. I like Pam Anderson and I like second chances so I am going in with an open mind. I bet her Roxie monologue will be hysterical. To see her say lines like "I'm older than I ever expected to be" and stuff like that will be hilarious. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#17Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/10/22 at 9:54pm

Does anyone know who will be playing 'Velma' opposite Anderson's 'Roxie' ?  How about 'Billy Flynn' ?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#18Pamela Anderson on 'The View' talks about joining 'Chicago'
Posted: 4/10/22 at 9:57pm

Lana Gordon will be Velma Kelly, while Ryan Silverman will play Billy Flynn.  Any casting news and changes can also be found in the "Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread".  https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1029445#4684698

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 4/10/22 at 09:57 PM