HARMONY Reviews

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 9:56am

Harmony: A New Musical by Barry Manilow & Bruce Sussman tells the true story of the Comedian Harmonists, six talented young men, Jewish and gentile, who came together in 1920s Germany and took the world by storm with their signature blend of sophisticated close harmonies and uproarious stage antics.

Previews began March 23 and the limited run will continue through May 8.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#2HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 10:47am

This was a big EH for me last night. The show just drags on….the songs are not that great. The men are amazing and work their butts off. Chip is an icon, his second act closing monologue had the audience in tears. This needs to be tighten more with a new director. I don’t see this on Broadway anytime soon. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 11:20am

This needs a lot of work. Like a lot. One stand out song and character isn't enough. Enjoyed the lighting though! :) 

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#4HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 11:24am

What are the stand out song and character? Is the song "Harmony" that goes on for the first 15 mins of the show?

Chip Zien was great but he plays like 7 different characters. I've never understood the appeal of Sierra Boggess...and still don't. 

I agree this needs a lot of work and don't see it doing well on Broadway.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

WldKingdomHM
#5HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 11:44am

Harmony is the only song I remember. They need a better opening number

Sierra I thought was beautiful but just wasted singing that horrible song in the second act, her character went nowhere. I can go on and on … lol 

pair-o-dice
#6HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 1:17pm

I really enjoyed and found the story itself super interesting.  The characters can feel a bit one dimensional, although everyone on that stage is excellent in their roles and bring a lot of personality, but I didn't mind as it felt very classic musical theater and the story was so interesting. I felt there were mostly catchy songs with three real stand outs and two real stand out production numbers.  Chip's act two, all around, is incredible.  I actually think this would benefit from a larger production.  It felt like it wanted to be a bit bigger to me.  I know they're considering this a developmental run and with some minor cuts and reworkings I think it could be excellent.  Everyone around me seemed very moved and to really enjoy it.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 1:26pm

Chip dressed as Marlene Dietrich is worth the price of admission. If he ever did a one man show it could be called “I Am My Own Bakers Wife”.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#8HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 1:34pm

What are the stand out song and character? Is the song "Harmony" that goes on for the first 15 mins of the show?

Yes, Harmony is the first number and it's not great. "Every Single Day" was the stand out song and Sean Bell was the stand out actor for me. 

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#9HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 1:35pm

"Chip dressed as Marlene Dietrich is worth the price of admission."

Completely agree...this was brilliant!!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#10HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 5:11pm

Now Barry has COVID and can't attend the opening!

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

BoringBoredBoard40
#11HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 5:36pm

someone put a fork in this show already. 

WldKingdomHM
#12HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 5:43pm

He was walking around last night maskless and shaking everyone’s hand. They had a gala for him everyone was maskless. Crazy

MemorableUserName
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#14HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 9:41pm

Nice positive review from Theatermania:

https://www.theatermania.com/off-broadway/reviews/manilow-harmony-national-yiddish-theatre_93646.html

Just give the world Love.

MemorableUserName
#15HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 10:04pm

Variety is very positive, calling it "witty and wise":

https://variety.com/2022/legit/reviews/harmony-review-barry-manilow-musical-new-york-1235232141/

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 10:17pm

MemorableUserName said: "Critics Pick from Vincentelli in NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/13/theater/harmony-review.html
"

The Times desperately needs a second full-time co-chief theatre critic.

Freelancers and "at large" critics with transient careers are going to drive producers/investors crazy, since the producers are still in the mindset that they can trust reviews to aide their decision in moving a show to Broadway.

If this had a positive or negative review from a chief critic, it would dictate Ken Davenport's next steps. Now he's in this weird limbo zone because you have no idea what kind of review you'll get when it actually moves to Broadway –– and yes, reviews still matter to an extent.

MemorableUserName
MemorableUserName
#18HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/13/22 at 10:47pm

NY Post is mostly positive; three stars:

‘Harmony’ review: Barry Manilow’s musical has flaws, but stellar singing

https://nypost.com/2022/04/13/harmony-review-barry-manilows-musical-has-flaws-but-stellar-singing/

Wayman_Wong
#19HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 3:16am

David Finkle of the N.Y. Stage Review gives ''Harmony'' a 5-star rave review.

https://nystagereview.com/2022/04/13/harmony-harmonious-tale-of-berlin-singing-group-in-1930s/

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#20HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 3:32am

I'd imagine between Barry and Warren they can get the capital to get this to Broadway... where it will flop. But hey, it's not my money. 

Dan6
#21HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 3:40am

Any discount codes for this?

OhHiii
#22HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 7:54am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Freelancers and "at large" critics with transient careers are going to drive producers/investors crazy, since the producers are still in the mindset that they can trust reviews to aide their decision in moving a show to Broadway.

If this had a positive or negative review from a chief critic, it would dictate Ken Davenport's next steps. Now he's in this weird limbo zone because you have no idea what kind of review you'll get when it actually moves to Broadway –– and yes, reviews still matter to an extent.
"

Elizabeth Vincentelli has been reviewing for the Times for years. Co-chief critic means nothing to the reviews themselves. The lone chief critic there now often takes pleasure in writing incoherent, catty drivel, so unless your point is they need another to balance that out, not sure what you’re getting at. 

And I assure you that used car salesman Ken Davenport of all people is not phased by critical reception to work he produces. Let’s not forget he is the mind behinds Gettin’ The Band Back Together. People don’t move a show to Broadway on whether or not they can bank on a good review, they move it to Broadway to make money. Reviews help, but no producer is banking on a rave from the Times being the sole reason they move a show. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#23HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 8:33am

Also, Elizabeth Vincentelli and I haven['t always agreed on shows, but I would rather her and the experience from the NY Post as their chief Drama critic, than some other that populate the NY Times. She's more than beyond qualified. (Not saying that the OP called that into question, but I'm just saying that to lament about the need of a "co-chief" critic..."so who cares? so what?"

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#24HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 10:38am

RippedMan said: "I'd imagine between Barry and Warren they can get the capital to get this to Broadway... where it will flop. But hey, it's not my money."

Well they're not the ones producing, and I certainly hope they wouldn't put a cent of their own money into the show. This is in Ken Davenport's hands now.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#25HARMONY Reviews
Posted: 4/14/22 at 11:47am

Manilow released an album in 2004 called SCORES (SONGS FROM COPACABANA AND HARMONY). It’s available to stream. The first seven songs are from COPACABANA and the last seven, from HARMONY..

I’m not sure that all of the numbers here are in the current iteration, but it appears that most are.

For anyone interested, Deutsche Grammophon released an album in 2014 featuring a recreation of the group called, COMEDIAN HARMONISTS: DIE LIEBE KOMMT, DIE LIEBE GEHT. It will give you a taste of how the group would’ve sounded had they been recorded today. It’s available to stream.

Updated On: 4/14/22 at 11:47 AM